Do you wear your wedding rings on cruises

lindaa

Not sure why affluent community was mentioned in the first place. I get it about some wanting to impress with a large diamond but injecting the affluent community could be construed as another way of trying to impress.;)

Getting back to the original question, I wear my wedding rings at all times including a ring that is not replaceable.

Wow....I consider myself attacked!! Now, I am being accused of trying to impress others. That's the problem with CC. It brings out people who enjoy stirring the pot. Please reread my post. I wasn't accusing EVERYONE in an affluent community. I was just making a comment about SOME people. I guess I'm not allowed to do that for fear of what's under the bridge! You totally misread my post and misrepresented my intent. I've seen that here before...

Nope. You wrote

What you didn't get was that in an affluent community, women DO have to have the biggest diamond, to impress others or fit in. That's a sociological fact.

No where in that sentence does it say "some." I didn't misread anything.

Not sure why affluent community was mentioned in the first place. I get it about some wanting to impress with a large diamond but injecting the affluent community could be construed as another way of trying to impress.;)

Getting back to the original question, I wear my wedding rings at all times including a ring that is not replaceable.

We bought the smallest house (2800 s/f) in the neighborhood of big houses (average size is 4800 s/f, some are over 6000 s/f). The house we bought suited our wants and needs and we liked the location.

It had nothing to do with impressing anyone. If we were trying to impress, there wouldn't be a 14 year old car in the driveway. :rolleyes:

We bought the smallest house (2800 s/f) in the neighborhood of big houses (average size is 4800 s/f, some are over 6000 s/f). The house we bought suited our wants and needs and we liked the location.

It had nothing to do with impressing anyone. If we were trying to impress, there wouldn't be a 14 year old car in the driveway. :rolleyes:

I'm speaking of here on CC. I don't think anyone necessarily needs to know that one lives in an affluent community here. My opinion, of course.

I never wear my bling while doing water sports/in port (lock 'em in the safe), but I like having them with me to wear at other times. On the other hand, I feel naked with no wedding ring, and even an inexpensive band could be hazardous depending on the activity. My son found Qalorings and loves his! They are inexpensive, and the flexibility provides comfort when weight lifting, paddling a kayak, etc. they come in several colors but are not shiny and metallic to attract the wrong kind of fish or criminal attention. I'm ordering mine next payday!

http://www.qaloring.com/

I never wear my bling while doing water sports/in port (lock 'em in the safe), but I like having them with me to wear at other times. On the other hand, I feel naked with no wedding ring, and even an inexpensive band could be hazardous depending on the activity. My son found Qalorings and loves his! They are inexpensive, and the flexibility provides comfort when weight lifting, paddling a kayak, etc. they come in several colors but are not shiny and metallic to attract the wrong kind of fish or criminal attention. I'm ordering mine next payday!

http://www.qaloring.com/

What a great idea! I'll have to see if DH is interested in this. Like me, he has a plain band and never takes it off, but he's said it can be a pain when doing certain sports. This might be the answer. I love the purple, but sadly, even their X-Small size is too big for my tiny finger :(

As a professional fine jeweler, I advise both my customers and my own friends/family to travel with the least amount of jewelry possible. Theft is one reason -- as it is anywhere in the world -- but damage and loss are the primary concerns.

Our most common repair issue is lost diamonds or gemstones, and nothing can replace something sentimental. Of course, one of our other common issues is with jewelry purchased while on vacation, but that's a whole 'nother thread! :p

A beautiful engraved gold band is my personal choice for travel, and it's the only piece of "real" jewelry I wear besides a pair of plain gold earrings.

What a great idea! I'll have to see if DH is interested in this. Like me, he has a plain band and never takes it off, but he's said it can be a pain when doing certain sports. This might be the answer. I love the purple, but sadly, even their X-Small size is too big for my tiny finger :(

Sorry the sizing doesn't work for you! I really wanted the blue (to match my Jeep :D), but the narrower women's style doesn't come in blue. I really wish they had these when I was a little kid. It always bothered me that my dad didn't wear a wedding band due to safety issues with his job (didn't seem to bother my mom). This would have been such a great solution!

We have been married for 15 years and neither my engagement ring nor wedding band has been off my finger since DH placed them there. When we are traveling and I feel uneasy, I just turn my diamond solitaire engagement ring around toward my palm. That way it looks like I am wearing two plain bands.

After all the online cautions not to wear your good jewellery in Europe, I left my diamond anniversary ring home. I had my simple gold band. Seems like everyone else on the cruise was wearing their good jewellery. It felt funny without it. Only one place where we got off at the wrong metro stop, would I have worried about wearing them. That's why I have insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wear mine on trips, but depending on the port I keep it in the safe. Like another poster I sometimes turn it around and have the diamonds in the palm of my hand if I feel the area might be dicey. I have a separate rider on our homeowners insurance, but I would still hate to have it stolen.

Edited by FritzG

This thread reminds me of what my parents went through in Spain. I honestly don't remember what city they flew into, but they went a couple of days early before starting a land tour. Having spent many hours on a plane, they checked into their hotel and went for a walk. It was mid-day and very few people were around. They came to an intersection and signs directed them to an underground tunnel to cross. They were mugged in the tunnel.

It was a very professional job, they were immobilzed with arms around their necks and gently taken to the ground. Waist packs were cut off and one of the muggers tried to break the gold chain off my mom's neck. She yelled "it's a fake!" (It was) The muggers ran off.

Later, my dad went to file a report with the police and mom took a warm bath to relax. It wasn't until she saw the light glinting off her hand that she realized she was wearing a family heirloom 2-carat diamond ring. That's when the fear of what could have happened set in.

A note: when my dad got to the police station, their wallets and credit cards and my mom's passport had already been turned in. Only cash and cameras were missing, plus my dad's passport, which they figured the muggers never found in the bag. My dad was told that the muggers in the area know better than to injure a tourist or steal more than cash and easily sold items like jewelry and cameras.

Most of the women I know who have rings in excess of five figures also have an identical fake that they wear when they travel. Most better jewelers will offer this as a "freebie" when the real ring is purchased. An inscription makes it easy to tell which is which.

This thread reminds me of what my parents went through in Spain. I honestly don't remember what city they flew into, but they went a couple of days early before starting a land tour.

A note: when my dad got to the police station, their wallets and credit cards and my mom's passport had already been turned in. Only cash and cameras were missing, plus my dad's passport, which they figured the muggers never found in the bag. My dad was told that the muggers in the area know better than to injure a tourist or steal more than cash and easily sold items like jewelry and cameras.

Ah, Spain...

And the reason that on those stops I will leave my engagement ring in the safe.

First morning in Barcelona we also went for a walk. The hotel was on a very wide road, the pavement was also very wide. It was daytime and we were within yards of the hotel. Yet we were mugged.

Fortunately we only had one credit card on us, plus a very small amount of money. And small wedding bands thay they turned their noses up at lol

We went to the police station and the police really could not be bothered. This happens so much here that they do not have time to deal with it. So they have it all planned out.

They take your info, but first direct you to a wall with a phone on it. Next to the phone was a huge board with photos of darn near every credit card in the world. You find yours and press the button next to it and pick up that phone. You are instantly connected to that cards office. You tell them what happened and they cancel the card that instance.

Amazing...

Later that evening we were walking over to La Ramblas, we passed two local ladies, they were swinging handbags without a care. My husband told them to be careful with the bags and what had happened to us.

They said that they were safe, "the muggers only targeted tourists."

So another reason to try to blend in and not stick out lol .

It is easy to keep your mouth closed when walking near someone on an empty road. Not so easy to hide the visual clues.

And when this happened, I was wearing a small leather purse about 4 inches square, enough for some cash. It was worn across my body and under a big shirt. I was not swinging a bag. I thought I was safe.

And although I would hate to lose my ring because of sentimental reasons, the bottom line is personal safety.

I guess that I could wear a fake ring. But the bottom line is that I do not want to be mugged ever again. That was my second time.. the first time was in the USA. Bad enough to be mugged for the good stuff, but to be mugged over fake things, why risk it?

As your parents can tell you, even though there was no outward injury, it is a frightening thing and will stay with you forever.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

After 15 years my husband decided to stop paying the insurance for my rings (which I agreed to).

I agreed that I would not wear them out of the country and only wear my wedding band (diamonds & sapphires in platinum band) while in the USA on vacation if I wanted.

I bought a simple silver band to wear when on vacation wherever we go. I've noticed that since my fingers are thin, when I go in the water they slide off easier than when my hands are dry - why take the chance.;)

My rings were designed by a friend and I would rather wear a fake while away than lose them. I also only wear them to work and "out" - once I get home they get taken off and put in the original box that they came in (I don't like them on when doing things around the house).

Hi everyone

We are going to cruise Asia next year. After reading the post where the lady had her laptop and watch stolen from her room and seeing where several people say they do not take expensive jewelry with them at all... I was just wondering if you wear your wedding rings when cruising? If you do, do you wear them on shore excursions also? The sentimental value of my ring makes it irreplaceable but when I don't have it on I feel undressed. I would hate to leave it at home but.....

Thanks for your experiences!

Have never taken my wedding ring off.

• 8 months later...

This is definitely a topic that's been on my mind since we are taking our honeymoon cruise this summer. I am thinking of wearing my set on the ship but maybe only wearing the wedding band when we get off on an island. My rings fit snug so that they won't come off and my engagement ring isn't flashy or anything like that but it is special to me and I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

This is definitely a topic that's been on my mind since we are taking our honeymoon cruise this summer. I am thinking of wearing my set on the ship but maybe only wearing the wedding band when we get off on an island. My rings fit snug so that they won't come off and my engagement ring isn't flashy or anything like that but it is special to me and I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

If in Europe the women we see in the cities have larger diamonds than many of us. Mine never leave my finger except to be throughly cleaned and occasionally when cooking. 45 + years is a long time and over a hundred land and sea trips so I will continue wearing them all the time until they are taken off my finger at death.

I haven't read the ENTIRE thread so I hope this hasn't been covered. I was boarding a back to back (different ship) last year and noticed my hands swelling. I took off my rings and in the process of putting them in my purse, lost my wedding ring. I'd had it for 20+ years and never once lost it. It was a heartbreaking mistake but definitely a lesson for me. I don't think I will take irreplaceable jewelry again. Just another angle to think about.

I wear mine, including an anniversary band that I wear on the same finger. But I also learned a very valuable lesson on our second cruise.

There was a couple that we just kept bumping into, from the terminal on embarkation day, to dinner the first night, we just kept seeing them. Well on the first sea day we saw them up on the pool deck and the wife was visibly upset. She stopped us and told us that she had taken off he wedding/engagement band to put on either sunscreen or tanning lotion, not sure. Well, she sat them on the chair and somehow forgot them and forgot and ended up losing them. She realized it hours later and went back to look and of corse they were no where to be found. She reported them missing and a search was preformed but I guess she had kind of given up.

Well, later that day a child found them and turned them in. She ended up getting them back and was so thankful and happy. Listening to her tell this story when we saw her later in the cruise made me realize, although I will continue to cruise with my wedding bands, you have to be so careful.

I'm not in the habit of taking them off to put lotion on at home, so I don't think I will make that a habit on a cruise. But you have to be so careful about where you put them..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ring called the "go to heck ring". It's stainless steel, and thicker than my regular gold bands. It's also a half size larger.

It is specifically to wear ashore -- if we were to get hassled, I wouldn't hesitate to take it off and throw it at the attacker or into the grass. Let him look for it while we get away.

It's a bit larger than my regular rings, so that when my hands swell in the heat or exercise (and from all the salt) it's still comfortable to wear.

I'm planning to, but they're antique and my jeweler said that hand sanitizer could leave a residue that would need to be steam cleaned off. So there's going to be a lot of taking them on and off if there's a sanitizer person outside every venue.

It seems like a hassle, but I can't imagine not wearing them... something would feel off, I think.