Do you wear your wedding rings on cruises

lindaa

I bring a nice set of avon rings, and have left mine at home. It is not always about the worry about theft, it is the worry if I was to go swimming and lose them. I don't like to take the chance, and I am really big into the sentimental aspect. When we were in St. Thomas, I had a jeweller that kept saying I should switch my diamond in my engagement ring to a larger one. 1 - my diamond is a canadian diamond & 2 - if I had a bigger diamond, in my mind it is no longer my engagement ring. I would much rather risk losing a $20 set of rings, then my set.

And Pam, I like the summer diamonds comment, good one

Always (both of us). And if I feel we are going somewhere that I might feel a little less safe, then I typically turn my rings into the inside of my hand and leave it closed. If I get attacked, I guarantee I'm swiping someone with the rings facing their face!

I have always worn my wedding rings during all our travel.

In a few ports, I have removed my rings and put in the safe while ashore.

Most ports I was fine about wearing my rings.

I always wear my wedding ring. My DH usually takes his off if we are doing a beach excursion. The one time he didn't, you guessed it, it came off I the water while swimming with the turtles because it was too big on him. He is on his 3rd wedding band, the 1st one was stolen. We've been married 42 years so I guess I can't complain too much.

Mary Lou

Of course I wear my rings...that's what they're meant for...to be worn! There's no reason to be afraid of wearing your jewelry...although, you should leave your tiara in the cabin...don't wear that ashore!

I think you're overestimating how much attention anyone will pay you....no one is going to be noticing your ring. Guarenteed.

Am I the only one who doesn't wear a wedding ring? My husband and I exchanged rings at our wedding but never wear them. They sit secure in a safe in our home along with a considerable amount of other inherited estate pieces but we don't find a need to show them off or prove anything to ourselves or others. Frankly I never did understand why "bling" makes people happy. A gold band doesn't prove loyalty to a mate, either.

It's nice that we all have choices. I have always loved my rings and they were surely not for show or to prove how much we could afford. Thankfully, the little diamond that pledged our love could be much bigger now but that would not be anything I want. I am on year 45 with my honey this summer and I have added a diamond channel ring as anniversary ring and had original diamond reset into channel ring but the setting was made to look exactly like the original. Why change? Plumb wore it out doing the things women do!:p

Am I the only one who doesn't wear a wedding ring? My husband and I exchanged rings at our wedding but never wear them. They sit secure in a safe in our home along with a considerable amount of other inherited estate pieces but we don't find a need to show them off or prove anything to ourselves or others. Frankly I never did understand why "bling" makes people happy. A gold band doesn't prove loyalty to a mate, either.

You might be one of the few. Personally, I don't understand buying something if you aren't going to wear it. It is meant to be worn, not treasured away in a safe. JMHO If it is too expensive to replace, insure it. My DH bought me a ring to wear and that I could look at to treasure and remind me of our love anytime I want to look at it.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I wear a gold band that matches my husband's. Sometimes I pack a good CZ if feel like bling is necessary on a trip. At home, don't wear diamonds everyday because I knock around too much. Makes it even nicer to look at when I put it on a few times a week when doing other than usual stuff. Oh, and losing a carat diamond in a racquetball court can make one a bit more careful with them.

Edited by Suitcasefull

I rarely wear my engagement ring and wedding band. Instead of a wedding ring (because he's a left-hand guitar player), I bought the DH a diamond earring stud, which he wears all the time. I've lost so many rings, some of them still haunt me because of their sentimental value, that I no not wear my wedding ring set. The DH also bought me another set for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and after forgetting them in a restaurant restroom and being lucky enough to rush back and having them still be there, I don't wear them anymore either.:(

I wore my wedding set onshore on St. Thomas once because we were only going to be in the terminal area. It is a large round diamond in a classic Tiffany setting of platinum and 18 kt gold. I was browsing in a jewelry store when a sales clerk stopped me and told me that I should let her reset my stone in a prettier setting!!!! So rude!!!!:eek: I left immediately to avoid making a scene!

I wore my wedding set onshore on St. Thomas once because we were only going to be in the terminal area. It is a large round diamond in a classic Tiffany setting of platinum and 18 kt gold. I was browsing in a jewelry store when a sales clerk stopped me and told me that I should let her reset my stone in a prettier setting!!!! So rude!!!!:eek: I left immediately to avoid making a scene!

You could well have lost your diamond. Although not common, diamonds have been switched for paste in the US. It is probably more common overseas. That kind of unsolicited offer is suspicious.

Until I was divorced, I never even thought of taking off my rings (diamond, band,anniversary). I've worn them all around the world. Never had anyone approach me, try to rip it off, any of those anecdotal things you hear...

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings--at home, on the ship, ashore--not to impress anyone (they're not all that impressive) but because of what they symbolize to me.

When we got engaged 45 years ago, DH told me to pick something I really liked because, if he ever became rich enough to buy me expensive jewelry, he'd be happy to do that, but he would never "upgrade" my engagement ring. I liked that sentimentality.

Ashore, I often wear small silver earrings and bracelets, not something a thief would want. I'm reluctant to wear blingy fake diamonds--don't think a thief would know the difference, so I'd still be just as vulnerable as if I were wearing the real thing.

I bring and wear my 'good' jewelry, including my wedding set, on the ship. I usually do not wear any expensive jewelry on shore, depending on the port. I leave it in the safe.

I have a plain gold band I sometimes wear instead, especially if just sight-seeing and not doing an active or water-based excursion. On certain trips (for instance, Africa) I don't bring my expensive jewelry at all.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings--at home, on the ship, ashore--not to impress anyone (they're not all that impressive) but because of what they symbolize to me.

When we got engaged 45 years ago, DH told me to pick something I really liked because, if he ever became rich enough to buy me expensive jewelry, he'd be happy to do that, but he would never "upgrade" my engagement ring. I liked that sentimentality.

Ashore, I often wear small silver earrings and bracelets, not something a thief would want. I'm reluctant to wear blingy fake diamonds--don't think a thief would know the difference, so I'd still be just as vulnerable as if I were wearing the real thing.

My Wife and I have been married 35 years and we both wear our wedding rings all the time. Like you, we do it for what it means to us not others. If I take my ring off I feel naked without it. We have never had any problems on the ship or on shore.

I always wear my wedding ring. My DH usually takes his off if we are doing a beach excursion. The one time he didn't, you guessed it, it came off I the water while swimming with the turtles because it was too big on him. He is on his 3rd wedding band, the 1st one was stolen. We've been married 42 years so I guess I can't complain too much.

Mary Lou

How sad! I hope not on a cruise!!

(Seriously, if anyone tried to steal my engagement ring/wedding band, they'd have to take the finger with it...)

I never thought about taking my rings off anywhere, anytime, until I got divorced. But, then, my rings aren't "bedazzlers", either. They are rather plain and the diamond on the engagement ring is only .45 carats (but great quality). I was an athlete back in the day, and I didn't want a big, showy ring that I couldn't wear all the time. Even my 25th anniversary ring is a nice, basic white gold (no reason to spend more money for platinum) with 4 small diamonds.

I don't "dress to impress" on cruises or vacations, so I don't worry about what jewelry I'm wearing. I don't do statement pieces. Same at home - not too many big pieces go with jeans and T-shirts ;)

The only time I take my wedding rings off is if I am using any cleaning products or doing housework or gardening. (I can't work with gloves on) But I always wear my rings when cruising. Like you other ladies, they are so special to me, and I can't bear to be without them.

I got an inexpensive ($400 on sale) pretty band with a small diamond in the middle that I use as my travel wedding ring, and wear it on my right hand at home. It's not that my real wedding ring is blingy, but it's a one of a kind design and I'd hate to lose it.

I'm one that removes my rings and jewelry as soon as I get home from work because they're uncomfortable. My husband of 7 years wears a comfort band so he never takes it off.

To each their own. :o