Do you wear your wedding rings on cruises

lindaa

Yes, DH and I wear our rings (I have a 2 ct center stone in my engagement ring-25th anniversary gift) and I take good jewelry too. What is the point of having it if I'm afraid to wear it? It's all replaceable and insured. In 15 cruises we have never had anything taken. We take normal precautions such as using the safe for valuables, but leave kindles, cameras and odds and ends out of the safe, but also out of sight.

This thread reminds me of something that happened in a Phoenix department store about ten years ago...one that carried tools, too.........

Was checking out in women's wear and a couple was behind me He turned to his wife and said, "That's a pretty ring, you talk to her and I'll be back in a few minutes. I know where the cutting shears are and I'll get it for you."

I just stared at him and finished checking out. The clerk asked if I wanted someone to walk out with me but my dd sil were nearby so declined.

As scary as some people are today, I'd have probably had the clerk call security if it happened now.

My ring is a 1 ct moisonite with a few inexpensive sapphires set in palladium. It's beautiful but inexpensive so I don't worry too much. I chose it over a real diamond because the sparkle is so much greater than a diamond, and that is what makes rings so beautiful imho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Take only costume jewelry when traveling abroad.

I have talked to people that have been robbed. Won't take the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm exactly the same, I have a diamonique wedding set that i take when i go on vacation. My real one stays at home locked up!

Take only costume jewelry when traveling abroad.

I have talked to people that have been robbed. Won't take the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That won't deter somebody who sees it from a distance and doesn't know if it's real. I would be more upset at the violence of being robbed than at the loss of a highly sentimental but insured item.

I wear my wedding band ashore unless I'm going to go in the water or do something really active. I often wear the engagement ring, but it depends on the location and circumstances. I also bring my good jewelry when I travel because I like to wear it in the evenings onboard. I generally don't wear it off the ship.

Am I the only one who doesn't wear a wedding ring? My husband and I exchanged rings at our wedding but never wear them. They sit secure in a safe in our home along with a considerable amount of other inherited estate pieces but we don't find a need to show them off or prove anything to ourselves or others. Frankly I never did understand why "bling" makes people happy. A gold band doesn't prove loyalty to a mate, either.

We didn't even exchange rings when we got married! Of course it was at the courthouse with just DD in attendance ;) I have never HAD to have jewelry - maybe because I grew up in a family of jewelers and gemologists. DH wanted to get me a ring but I told him I was good :p

I think I'm an anomaly here, in that I really don't care for diamonds. DH and I designed our wedding rings 37 years ago and when my mother passed away, I had her small diamond inserted in the band. Years later DH inherited some loose gems, so we decided to put an emerald crystal in my band as well. I wear it everywhere we go, every day, no matter where we are. I've never felt the need to leave my ring on the ship or at home because it isn't something that draws a lot of attention.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Our wedding rings are not expensive and over the top. When Drew was looking for an engagement ring, I saw him looking and these huge expensive rings. I slowly motioned for him to look at the three piece set of a small engagement ring and matching bands. I told him then, it wasn't about the size or the expense of a ring...it was the fact that I was going to be his wife and carry his name. A small set was just perfect (I think he was relieved) :) Other jewelry that he has bought me over the years is very speical and some of it is rather expensive. I still wear it...it's too beautiful to keep it locked up. I saw this article and it tells just a few of the reasons behind a wedding band and why mine are so special to me, that I never want to be without them. The expensive jewelry they can have, it's insured, the wedding rings, they will have a fight on their hands if they try to take them!

Wedding bands signify a number of important elements in a couple's life: eternal love, devotion, commitment, fidelity, honor and respect and the bond of unity. It constitutes a legally binding agreement between husband and wife, as the wife becomes subordinate to her husband, and the husband swears to protect his wife.

Wife becomes subordinate to the husband? No, thank you, I'll never wear a wedding ring, if that's the case. We have rings that we wear now to show our commitment to each other as equals in our relationship, and they are what we will wear after our wedding in September.

Wife becomes subordinate to the husband? No, thank you, I'll never wear a wedding ring, if that's the case. We have rings that we wear now to show our commitment to each other as equals in our relationship, and they are what we will wear after our wedding in September.

I think that is wonderful...but in our marriage and faith, Drew is the head of the household. That doesn't mean that I get a regualar beating on Monday morning. LOL To us it is part of our faith and that is the most inportant thing in our marriage. With our Love of God and our Love of each other, we feel there is no way to fail in our relationship. I realize it is not everyone's cup of tea, and that is what is so wonderful about our Country.

I think that is wonderful...but in our marriage and faith' date=' Drew is the head of the household. That doesn't mean that I get a regualar beating on Monday morning. LOL To us it is part of our faith and that is the most inportant thing in our marriage. With our Love of God and our Love of each other, we feel there is no way to fail in our relationship. I realize it is not everyone's cup of tea, and that is what is so wonderful about our Country.[/quote']

Whatever works for you. I think it was your original wording of "Wedding bands signify . . ." rather than saying "Our wedding bands signify . . ."

The original implies that all wedding bands signify what you described, but with an "our," it would be clearer that that's what they signify to you and your husband.

Anyway, I usually travel with my original wedding band, a wide platinum and gold band, but leave the diamonds at home. We're about to celebrate 20 years, and I'm hoping for a modest diamond anniversary band :), which I might wear on certain trips.

Edited by hrhdhd

I officiate many marriage ceremonies every year and in my ceremony I state "the wedding ring is an outward and visible sign to all of the promises you have made to each other, and, of the life and love you have chosen to share." I believe we are all equals in relationships and for that reason will never say "you may now kiss your bride", but "I ask you now to seal your vows with a kiss".

I have even used these words for our daughter's ceremony at the Acropolis in Athens, and for our son's in Tokyo. To keep this post from being pulled for being off topic, I must say that each of our children's marriage ceremonies were followed the next day by a cruise - talk about memorable!!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I rarely wear my rings at home. My diamond is set very high and hence I keep smacking it on things.

I do wear them on a cruise. I do not wear them off the ship. Most of activities include swimming and/or snorkeling. I leave the rings in the safe on board.

DH has never worn a ring.

Why buy good jewelry if you are not going to wear it? I don't wear flashy jewelry off the ship but I do wear the good stuff while on! My engagement ring gets removed for various activities but the only time my gold band comes off is while scrubbing my hands at work (I'm a nurse). After 41 years of marriage, I have a permanent indentation on my ring finger from it!:D

Sherri:)

I rarely wear my rings at home. My diamond is set very high and hence I keep smacking it on things.

I do wear them on a cruise. I do not wear them off the ship. Most of activities include swimming and/or snorkeling. I leave the rings in the safe on board.

DH has never worn a ring.

This is one reason I take my rings off as soon as I get home--diamond is set very high and is fairly big. The wedding bands are attached to the diamond, so they all come off.

My DH used to wear his ring, but doesn't anymore. For one thing, it's gotten too small, for another, he works a lot of construction and outside jobs and a ring can be dangerous--quite a few people have had their ring finger torn off when the ring gets caught on something.

Do wear it on cruises, but usually not in port.

Wow, this is a fun discussion, all over the place! :)

I will say, that when we travel, I wear a "travel wedding ring set". My diamond is set rather high, which can make it appear a little flashy (despite the fact that it isn't 4 carats or anything crazy). Aside from cruising, we travel as a family quite often to developing countries, so I have felt uncomfortable wearing it. I used to work in international relief and development and got into the habit of wearing a very thin, simple good band on my wedding ring finger when traveling for work. While that's not necessary on a cruise to most places, I have found my $20 wedding set from Nordstrom is perfect!

I'm a nurse in the Operating Room. When DH and I got engaged and went looking for rings, I had three criteria.

~Not a diamond (I have a beautiful sapphire with diamond accents)

~Low set (it's in a bezel) and

~White metal.

I have gotten many complements on my unusual ring and I wear it all the time. The only time it's off is if I'm making bread or meatloaf or if I'm scrubbing at work. It goes on cruises and only comes off on water-based excursions.

I did take it off after I broke my wrist a couple of years ago, but that was because of swelling. I couldn't wear it for about six weeks and felt naked without it.

Yes, I wear a wedding ring when I travel, but not my 'real' wedding ring. I don't have a set. Like someone else mentioned I have a sapphire and diamond ring that was my engagement ring. Very unusual styling, and sits fairly flat on my finger. My wedding ring is a wide gold bands. I also have another sapphire and diamond ring that my husband bought me for our 12th anniversary and a quartz gold, gold nugget and diamond right he bought me in Alaska when we took a cruise there for our 25th. The three stone rings are worn (one at a time) on my right hand.

When I take a cruise with my mom, which is most of my cruises, I wear rings, but none of those above. I got a sterling silver anchor ring last year, and that's usually my right-hand ring on a cruise. I just got this ring to wear as my wedding band on my upcoming cruise.

ppring_zpsf3c60e59.jpg

It has nothing to do with the dollar value of my rings or other jewelry or whether they are insured. It has everything to do with sentimental value and the fact that a thief, if he/she believes your jewelry has any value, will do physical harm to you to get it. While I value my rings, I value my life, health and body parts even more.

My husband and I wear silver bands that say "God with us together and apart" when we travel and leave our wedding rings at home. We purchased the bands one year when he was going to Honduras on a mission trip and I wasn't able to go. They're nice and very sentimental but they are also replaceable. Not only do I not have to worry about losing my wedding rings, but they are a nice vacation ritual. When I put it on I know I'm going on an adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

........... They're nice and very sentimental but they are also replaceable. Not only do I not have to worry about losing my wedding rings, but they are a nice vacation ritual. When I put it on I know I'm going on an adventure!

Now this is a great idea! May have to suggest these for an anniversary gift since that will come before our next cruise!

My husband and I wear silver bands that say "God with us together and apart" when we travel and leave our wedding rings at home. We purchased the bands one year when he was going to Honduras on a mission trip and I wasn't able to go. They're nice and very sentimental but they are also replaceable. Not only do I not have to worry about losing my wedding rings, but they are a nice vacation ritual. When I put it on I know I'm going on an adventure!

I like that part about signifying an adventure.

I have had friends that have really expensive rings, and they are afraid to wear it. That is a shame. I would not want to own something that I was afraid to use or wear.

My aunt had beautiful china that I loved. When I grew up I found out that it was highly expensive. I asked her why she used it as everyday china and why she allowed me as a child to handle it.

She said that if it sat on display because you were afraid of using it, then it was a waste. Better to take pleasure in using it even if pieces get worn or broken over the years than to save it in pristine condition for family that may not do anything more than sell it off.

I took what she said to heart, and whatever I buy, it will get worn and used and even used out, but I have had pleasure from it. Oh yes, I have her china, and it has always been my everyday china too.

I have a small gold wedding band, it would not catch anyones attention. I did not have an engagement ring at first. Now I have a really beautiful one that does get looked at a lot. About the only time I take them off when at home is if I am painting or staining.

When we are on a cruise I usually remove them before going ashore. Why? Because I feel uncomfortable flashing them around in the face of people that have way less than any of us. Just the fact that we all sailed in on a beautiful ship says enough.

So, I do not replace it with fake bling for the same reason, and also IF I were to be robbed, I would hate to be injured over good stuff, let alone fake:D

But if I was going to do the replacement switch, then hula girls reasoning sounds good to me, and I like the sentiment expressed on the rings.

This is what works for me, and you have to pick what works for you. Not one solution fits everyone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app