Do you wear your wedding rings on cruises

lindaa

I would never take my wedding/engagement rings. As a matter of fact a couple days before my cruise, I take all of my good jewelry to the bank and store it in my safety deposit box. I bring some pretty costume jewelry on my cruise or anywhere I travel. I might bring my gold plumeria pendant on my upcoming cruise in Hawaii though. I just don't want to have to worry about my jewelry. Sometimes when you're traveling your rushing, had a few drinks, swimming, etc. and something could happen. I don't trust the safes on the ships either. We are not the only ones with the keys.

I take & wear a lot of my jewelry on cruises. Have never had a problem although the engagement ring stays in the safe for excursions. My wedding bands 1 eternity & 1 anniversary are always on my hand. Exception is traveling internationally. I take them off & they stay home. I have a cz set I wear just because it's usually for work & im so busy that if I were to lose them or have them stolen it wouldn't be a big deal. They are also a size bigger than my actual wedding rings because my hands swell in long flights.

On the whole ONE cruise I have been on, I wore my rings. However, when it came time to ride that water coaster waterslide thingie on the Norwegian Getaway, I couldn't, because I couldn't get my rings off my fat fingers. :mad: Next time I will just take them off at home so I don't have to worry about it.

My thick carved wedding band stays on, as it has for 46 years. My solitaire & anniversary band & right hand ring normally stay in the safe on board (unless I'm only doing jewelry shopping) depending on where we're cruising. I do have a duplicate of my solitaire & anniversary band that I'll wear off (unless it's an active excursion)

On cruises, I always keep my wedding/engagement rings on, but I don't bring any other jewelry - except maybe a piece or two of inexpensive costume jewelry. Even that stuff, I always keep in the safe with my iPad and other valuables.

The only time I do not wear my wedding/engagement rings is when we go scuba diving. The salt water is damaging to the metals (platinum and yellow gold) and we don't want anything that might come off when we are gearing up, or taking gear off. We have inexpensive titanium bands we wear on scuba trips.

• 1 month later...

I actually just purchased an inexpensive bridal set from Amazon the other day to wear on our cruise.

Personally, I am not overly worried about someone stealing my ring but I am worried that I might loose them. My set is pretty loose on my finger, and I really need to get them sized down a half of a size but I have been concerned that I might need to turn around and get it sized up again because sometimes they do swell. They have ended up in the sink in hand washing once or twice and since they are so loose I do end up taking them off for lotion/sleep a lot of the time. I don't want to worry about them coming off in water or loosing them in the bed or who knows where else. I had only planned on picking up a cheap stainless steel wedding band, but Amazon had some cute steel sets w/CZ's and he felt I should get one. For $17, it certainly wasn't a big investment.

• 2 weeks later...

On our last cruise at one of the jewelry stores my DH bought himself a very inexpensive wedding band. He never goes without his wedding band. I on the other hand take mine off every night for bed. When we went into port, the real stuff just went into the safe. I think I will get myself a what the heck band or whatever on the previous posters called hers. I liked that idea. Or maybe call it take this ring and shove it, haha!

I also made my DH carry a throw away wallet. We have never been hassled. Fingers XX.

I actually just purchased an inexpensive bridal set from Amazon the other day to wear on our cruise.

Personally, I am not overly worried about someone stealing my ring but I am worried that I might loose them. My set is pretty loose on my finger, and I really need to get them sized down a half of a size but I have been concerned that I might need to turn around and get it sized up again because sometimes they do swell. They have ended up in the sink in hand washing once or twice and since they are so loose I do end up taking them off for lotion/sleep a lot of the time. I don't want to worry about them coming off in water or loosing them in the bed or who knows where else. I had only planned on picking up a cheap stainless steel wedding band, but Amazon had some cute steel sets w/CZ's and he felt I should get one. For $17, it certainly wasn't a big investment.

I had the same problem with loose rings and solved it by adding a very, very narrow plain gold band in the outside that it the right size. The weddings band and engagement ring still wiggle around, but can't slip off. They are stopped by the small band.

I had the same problem with loose rings and solved it by adding a very, very narrow plain gold band in the outside that it the right size. The weddings band and engagement ring still wiggle around, but can't slip off. They are stopped by the small band.

That's a great suggestion! Everyone had suggested one of those plastic ring resizers but my engagement and wedding band are very narrow. Wore my new fashion set for a couple days and it fits fine so I will get mine real resized. My jeweler will size up or down at no cost, but I was worried I would need to do size it up again.

I will say, I am happy I picked up the other set. Its a lot more flashy than I expected but DH loves and I will be glad to have one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I never take my rings off except at home. I would bet that more rings are lost because someone took them off to wash their hands than because someone was robbed or mugged. I did buy a simple gold band to wear if we are going somewhere dicey.

On our last cruise, I was waiting for the shuttle which was taking passengers out of the port area. A woman told me that while her husband was waiting, someone ripped his gold necklace right off his neck. Fortunately, the robber dropped it and the owner was able to recover it.

I would have thought that would have been a "safe" area.

Before we got married, my husband and I bought "travel bands" specifically to wear on our honeymoon. Several of our married friends suggested this b/c they'd heard horror stories about losing expensive rings on vacation. This was more about the fear of losing rings in the ocean/sand than worries of theft but it works for that as well. Before any vacation (especially one where we'll be swimming or in exotic locations like a rain forest, etc.) we swap out our engagement ring and wedding bands for the $10-20 bands we bought on Amazon. It might not be necessary, but it's definitely one less thing to worry about.

My wedding ring is a very thin gold band that has never been taken off. I doubt it could be at this point!

I occasionally remove my engagement ring. I wear my anniversary ring most of the time.

I never ever EVER remove any of them if I am not in my own home, and even then only in my bedroom next to my ring box. I have never put them on a kitchen or bathroom counter in my own home, let alone on a cruise ship or hotel. I have seen so many women walk away and leave them sitting there ...

When we are on an excursion, I will usually remove everything but my wedding band. (But only when I'm in my cabin, standing over my lockable small bag.) Depends on where we are. Third world, yes, I remove them and don't wear any other jewelry. Last month, on our Baltics & fjords cruise, I wore whatever jewelry I felt like.

Edited by Lady Chew

• 2 weeks later...

I leave all the good bling at home; except for wearing a very thin gold wedding band that matches DH academy ring. Somehow the idea of my rings ending up in the bottom of the ocean because of a plane crash or being stolen just is not worth it. My traditional wedding rings would be the one thing that I would want passed on to my daughter and grand daughter if tragedy were to befall us on our travels. I have plenty of pretty bling to wear that does not have the sentimental value that my wedding rings do.

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise after our honeymoon, my DH "made" me leave my engagement ring at home.

I felt awful seeing other women with a beautiful ring on their finger and me just with my plain gold band.

Now I always wear my rings, engagement ring, wedding band an anniversary ring.

When I go in port, I leave the rings in my cabin, in the room safe. But i'm happy to wear my bling on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

ON the ship I don't worry about it at all, but going ashore I will either wear a nice costume wedding ring set or a simple band. If I am alone for sure the simple band. I just ordered a new ring and I'm excited to see it. I loved the style when I saw it and I think it will be amazing. $59 on Amazon with free return shipping if it isn't all I think it will be.

image.jpg.e7b9946514c528186667a51b544980ad.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine not wearing mine. I don't think I could ever wear something I was terrified of losing. The memories associated with it are in my head, the ring is just a physical object and I have plenty of pictures of it as well. I've never been one to spend a lot on jewelry either.

1f0ad7d3a757da85fc18d2057c380818.jpg

Still being sold at:

http://www.danforthdiamond.com/catalog/details/8321/Palladium-Fancy-Woman's-Diamond-Matched-Set-with-Blue-Sapphires

I chose to go with a 1ct moisenite stone over diamonds because of its refractory rate. Who doesn't love a sparkle? :) I get so many compliments on my rings and even the jewelers don't know it's a fake diamond until they test it (or I tell them).

Last week I finally found a pair of sapphire earrings I wanted, I worry about losing those more than anything else, lol.

cf8de80f326e9c6fa8d0a8d2d617a30b.jpg

I'm not married but my parents, who have been married 51 years never take their rings off. My Mom had to beg my dad to get himself a new band because his original had worn to sharp to point it would cut you. The both have new bands now, dads plain gold band and moms has diamonds all the way around. When they cruise Mom brings her good jewelry for ship wear, she will tone it down for port...just her wearing band and the original diamond my Dad proposed with, which has been reworked to wear with a gold necklace.

Edited by uncleg