Do you wear your wedding rings on cruises

lindaa

In the 30 years I was married, I never took off my rings, except when I would have the jeweler re-tighten the prongs holding the diamond in place. I honestly never thought about the need to do it. I'll say my ring combination was not a big display - I did not want any diamond larger than .5 carat - I went for "quality", not "quantity." ;) Plus, I didn't want something that would keep my from doing any sports or activities - a big honking ring can pose problems when playing volleyball or trying to get gloves on before going skiing!!

For those who buy faux/costume/K-Mart rings to wear - I hope you realize that the people you are trying to keep from stealing your "real" stuff cannot tell the difference so you are in the same risk category as before. If you are concerned with someone hacking off your finger or holding you up at gunpoint for your rings, I would go bare-fingered to eliminate the potential.

On my gemstone earrings, I always take them to a jeweler and have a screw-back installed. Makes it less likely that they will come loose and fall off. Plus, I like those sapphire earrings - not flashy, but classy and not too big.

Edited by slidergirl

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't dream of removing my wedding rings. My DH has passed and after having worn my rings for 47 years, I have no intention of removing the diamond with which he proposed to me. My marriage wasn't fake and I wouldn't want to wear a fake ring. My DH wouldn't like that.

On my gemstone earrings, I always take them to a jeweler and have a screw-back installed. Makes it less likely that they will come loose and fall off.

WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS?!!

Not that I have very many earrings worth the trouble, but maybe a few. Thinking about it now!

We will have our 25th anniversary in <3 weeks. That's less than 3, not a heart on its side! A couple years ago, I had to have my original wedding band cut off (after trying to remove it and having swelling set in! finger was blue by the time we got to the jeweler!), and I've been wearing a cheap gold band waiting to lose weight to get a "real" replacement. Well, with a significant anniversary coming up, I gave up on the weight loss and am in the process of getting a titanium band with rose-gold inlay. It is being custom made and what with getting the size absolutely correct (Ti rings cannot be re-sized more than a tiny bit after making!), I did not start the process soon enough to have it by The Day, oh well!

Now, even customized, this ring is going to be in the realm of $500 (!) so the fact that I never intend to take it off, may not apply if you have a set worth thousands!

Before we got married, my husband and I bought "travel bands" specifically to wear on our honeymoon. Several of our married friends suggested this b/c they'd heard horror stories about losing expensive rings on vacation. This was more about the fear of losing rings in the ocean/sand than worries of theft but it works for that as well. Before any vacation (especially one where we'll be swimming or in exotic locations like a rain forest, etc.) we swap out our engagement ring and wedding bands for the $10-20 bands we bought on Amazon. It might not be necessary, but it's definitely one less thing to worry about.

So funny to go back and read that... At least our travel bands lasted over three years...

We went on a Snuba excursion in Key West over Thanksgiving week. When my husband resurfaced at the end of our dive, he held up his left hand... No ring! He said he felt the ring come off and watched it fall to the bottom of the ocean. Thank goodness it was the $20 ring from Amazon and not the one exchanged on our wedding day :)

So funny to go back and read that... At least our travel bands lasted over three years...

We went on a Snuba excursion in Key West over Thanksgiving week. When my husband resurfaced at the end of our dive, he held up his left hand... No ring! He said he felt the ring come off and watched it fall to the bottom of the ocean. Thank goodness it was the $20 ring from Amazon and not the one exchanged on our wedding day :)

Happy your DH didn't lost the 'real ring'. You both must be relieved. :)

I'm glad it was just the ring. I thought you were going to say "at least the travel bands lasted over three years" "since the marriage didn't" lol.

My wife and I do wear nice jewelry when we cruise but that is on board the ship.

In certain ports we do not wear any jewelry off the ship and in some places my wife will wear the simplest of earrings and a plain wedding band. These are places that we are concerned about not drawing attention.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
Insurance won't save your life.

In other words, you don't want to attract someone to go after you for your rings because something bad could happen and insurance won't do anything if you lose your life.

I am being serious.

Keith

This is quite true. However, our wedding rings really aren't flashy and are not that expensive (we married fairly young and were on a budget). My engagement ring is a very dark sapphire set in white gold. Most people just assume it's silver and there's no flashy diamond to attract attention.

However, if our rings were truly as expensive as some of the beautiful sets I've seen, then we absolutely would keep them at home. I'd even be afraid to wear them at home.

I actually live on a Caribbean island, so of course I wear my rings here...it's home. The Caribbean will always be home to me...and no matter where you are, someone can threaten your life for your possessions.

I really do appreciate the seriousness of your comment, though...it's always important to be careful, no matter where we are.:)

Insurance won't save your life.

In other words, you don't want to attract someone to go after you for your rings because something bad could happen and insurance won't do anything if you lose your life.

I am being serious.

Keith

I don't understand the concept of wearing fake CZ stones vs diamond wedding rings. If you feel it unsafe to wear your 'real' diamond, why would you risk some idiot hurting you in order to take your fake? If a real one will invite theft, so will a fake. Wear your real ring or don't wear one at all, IMO.

I tend not to wear my rings in port. I'm lucky if I remember to even put them on at all. If it's a day at work when I will be scrubbed, I don't wear my rings because I can't scrub with them on and I don't have a safe place to keep them. My husband works from home and really only puts on his rings when he goes out. I hate sleeping with jewelry, the diamond on the engagement ring pokes into my face. I am also afraid to lose them in the ocean, and our port days are usually beach days.

I never, ever take off either my engagement or wedding ring....except for cleanings. Thinking I might should put them in safety deposit box before next cruise.

...just never crossed my mind.

My wedding ring cost $22 at Service Merchandise in 1980, but the engagement ring is worth a bit more. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the concept of wearing fake CZ stones vs diamond wedding rings. If you feel it unsafe to wear your 'real' diamond, why would you risk some idiot hurting you in order to take your fake? If a real one will invite theft, so will a fake. Wear your real ring or don't wear one at all, IMO.

Yes, we don't wear expensive jewelry in any port nor would we wear a fake.

In some ports around the world we wear no jewelry.

In some ports my wife might wear just earrings and we wear sport watches.

In some ports she'll wear a ring but it won't be a flashy ring.

Insurance means nothing if someone wants to steal something for you and it ends up turning violent.

Keith

I never, ever take off either my engagement or wedding ring....except for cleanings. Thinking I might should put them in safety deposit box before next cruise.

...just never crossed my mind.

My wedding ring cost $22 at Service Merchandise in 1980, but the engagement ring is worth a bit more. :rolleyes:

When you live in a big city in the US you don't think about these things

We have traveled for forty years and I have never removed my rings and won't start now.

I've stopped wearing all my jewelry on the ships. I feel that I can wash my hands better when there is no obstruction. Since I am washing my hands so often around the ship, and I will not take off my jewelry except in my own room, the best solution is to not wear the stuff in the first place.

My hands are much cleaner and when I use disinfectant, there is no hiding under the rings! ;)

No worries about thefts and better infection control. Everything stays the at my bank at home.

I tend not to wear my rings in port. I'm lucky if I remember to even put them on at all. If it's a day at work when I will be scrubbed, I don't wear my rings because I can't scrub with them on and I don't have a safe place to keep them. My husband works from home and really only puts on his rings when he goes out. I hate sleeping with jewelry, the diamond on the engagement ring pokes into my face. I am also afraid to lose them in the ocean, and our port days are usually beach days.

Scrub tech or nurse? I put mine on a skirt pin (from a fabric store) and pin it around my bra strap. Can't take my scrub top off and I've not lost a ring (or watch) in 27+ years in the OR.

My DH works with electricity, so he has silicone a ring (brand name Qalo). Since he's ripped one open already, I'm glad he wears it, even if he rarely remembers to wear his real ring.

Scrub tech or nurse? I put mine on a skirt pin (from a fabric store) and pin it around my bra strap. Can't take my scrub top off and I've not lost a ring (or watch) in 27+ years in the OR.

My DH works with electricity, so he has silicone a ring (brand name Qalo). Since he's ripped one open already, I'm glad he wears it, even if he rarely remembers to wear his real ring.

Neither, actually. I'm actually a cardio fellow in the cath lab now. I can't imagine it being comfortable having a ring pinned to my bra while wearing the lead. Besides if it's going to be pinned to my bra, I might as well just leave it safer at home.

During my residency I usually left my rings at home on call nights or in the ER. I just felt like it got in the way of procedures, and with all the hand washing, I would get so much irritation that I got used to not wearing them. My relationship with my husband is enough, I don't need a ring to remember it.

Neither, actually. I'm actually a cardio fellow in the cath lab now. I can't imagine it being comfortable having a ring pinned to my bra while wearing the lead. Besides if it's going to be pinned to my bra, I might as well just leave it safer at home.

During my residency I usually left my rings at home on call nights or in the ER. I just felt like it got in the way of procedures, and with all the hand washing, I would get so much irritation that I got used to not wearing them. My relationship with my husband is enough, I don't need a ring to remember it.

I was very specific about what I wanted when DH and I got engaged. Low profile was the most important thing. I wanted to be able to not worry about gloves tearing. I've never been bothered by the ring or watch pinned to me, but my Fitbit is another story. I did ortho for 13 years, so I get the lead thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I never take my rings off -- even at my job as a barn manager. I've been on 7 cruises and never gave a thought to taking them off. I couldn't if I wanted to. I've gained some weight since I got married 14 years ago and they won't budge. Any robbers who want my rings are going to have to take my finger with them.

So I guess I'm screwed.