Involuntary Downgrade

Ltgfrk:

Congrats on your perseverance and getting to a solution that you are satisfied with.

Airlines, hotels and cruise ships all find themselves in "oversell" situations for a variety of reasons, but it was shocking that:

1) you were not proactively contacted with a "downgrade" offer (there's one on the Holland America Board right now where the cruiser bought a verandah guarantee, and they are being offered a 50 % percent refund on their cruise fare to downgrade to an obstructed outside.)

2) When you noticed, and tried to get a resolution, you were given the run-around.

Kudos to whoever in Royal Caribbean noticed today and got the situation resolved, but wow, what a screw up.

By the way, we tend to book many of our cruises last minute and almost always book guarantees (and have never had a problem.)

Are you still getting points for booking a JS or are they giving you standard category points?

I am glad they are giving $1K OBC; that's what I'd have been happy with, and for the trouble I told you what I would have done. Whatever you do from this point forward I hope the rest of your trip is hassle free and enjoyable! While not 100% ideal at least it is sorted out before boarding.

This will make a good story in the DL tomorrow night. It's a bit late but you mentioned you were diamond so I would also let the diamond host know as they are part of guest services. Reading all this I'm actually surprised no one at rci blamed their real bad computer system or website for this but I bet it's part of the issue.

Have a great cruise!

First, a big thanks to all for the support! I really doubt anything would have been accomplished if I hadn't posted here regarding the situation. Up until then it was pretty much you're SOL and have a nice trip.

What they've done is given us a $1,000 obc. Their offer was $600 but I think for the mess they've made they could at least buy me a few beers. So she threw in what amounts to a drink package and rounded it up. They've also emailed the ship and told them if there happens to be a suite open at check-in or before, they'll put us in it. Unlikely we'll get a suite for that cabin but you never know.

Again, thanks everyone.

Yes, sorry to be unclear. We got the $800 refund (which is really just the difference in price between the cabins - not compensation) plus the $1000 OBC.

So glad that you took a chance and posted here. Happy for all the posts giving you suggestions. I'm sure they will help others in the future! :eek:

Sounds like you got a good deal for a BIG mess up on someone's part! Just use up all your OBC before you dock next Sunday. ;)

Have a GREAT cruise . . . Hope you can make lemonade out of the lemon situation you had to go through with this cruise. Trust you will have a report of a JS to share when you get back.

PLEASE let us know about your cruise. ¡ENJOY! :D

Are you still getting points for booking a JS or are they giving you standard category points?

Sure hope you negotiated the double points for the JS also..........

Yes, double points for both.

This will make a good story in the DL tomorrow night. It's a bit late but you mentioned you were diamond so I would also let the diamond host know as they are part of guest services. Reading all this I'm actually surprised no one at rci blamed their real bad computer system or website for this but I bet it's part of the issue.

Have a great cruise!

The management is obviously to blame - just as the airlines do, RCL probably overbooks using guaranty cabins, and in this case, they guessed wrong. It can happen, but they need to have a standard procedure in place to deal with it. Either they don't, or they do and don't train their employees on it. Just letting each employee try to solve this problem their own way is not a way to customer satisfaction - or future revenue.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
addl comment

I did get a call from a gal at the RCI corporate office. She did mention this thread. She said to give her a little time to work on the situation. Hopefully I will hear back this afternoon and we'll see what happens.

I LOVE IT! Social Media Ascendant! LOL

First, a big thanks to all for the support! I really doubt anything would have been accomplished if I hadn't posted here regarding the situation. Up until then it was pretty much you're SOL and have a nice trip.

What they've done is given us a $1,000 obc. Their offer was $600 but I think for the mess they've made they could at least buy me a few beers. So she threw in what amounts to a drink package and rounded it up. They've also emailed the ship and told them if there happens to be a suite open at check-in or before, they'll put us in it. Unlikely we'll get a suite for that cabin but you never know.

Again, thanks everyone.

If you are happy with that offer, that is absolutely ALL that matters.

Have a fantastic cruise and, as Rick wrote, WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC! :)

I am so pleased you got resolution with this and I know hope you can get on the ship and have a brilliant time. :D

It was also good to see how everyone on here pulled together to help with advice and telephone numbers etc. CC at it's best :)

Welcome to CC and bon voyage :)

We booked a last minute cruise a few days ago on the Freedom with one cabin a JS and one cabin a W gty. I've checked for the past couple of days and no state room assignment, just said JS gty. I logged on this afternoon to find our cabin had been assigned but it was a deluxe ocean view. So I called RCI and the first girl I spoke with tried to tell me the new cabin was part of the W gty. I said no way so she got a supervisor. Long story short, they suck. They want to refund us $800 which brings the ocean view down to $100 pp less than the JS that we paid for. Essentially the same price! But they're willing to throw in $200 obc. We only booked the cruise because we wanted two suites, nothing less. Can we get a refund, nope. It was pretty much a take it or leave it. We can, according to the last supervisor we spoke with, call back on Monday but that does us no good since the cruise leaves Sunday. Absolutely horrible of RCI.

I have seen this before, and it also struck me as being very odd!

We were going to book a cruise with RCI recently. We were opting for a W Guarantee, which we understood to be a minimum JS. However, in the small print (very small print) it DID say that this would be at least a deluxe ocean view! When we queried this with RCI, the representatives didn't seem to have a clue. As this was just one of many issues we were experiencing with their customer service, we decided not to proceed with a booking.

Wow! I've eyed those suite guarantees in the past and toyed with the concept. This gives me pause.

I'm so glad it all worked out for the OP in the end (thanks to a little attention from the community :)), but what a hassle to go through.

Enjoy your cruise ... and be sure and come back to CC after to post a review.

We were going to book a cruise with RCI recently. We were opting for a W Guarantee, which we understood to be a minimum JS. However, in the small print (very small print) it DID say that this would be at least a deluxe ocean view! When we queried this with RCI, the representatives didn't seem to have a clue. As this was just one of many issues we were experiencing with their customer service, we decided not to proceed with a booking.

I have never noticed this before, probably because the cruises I look at rarely offer a W guarantee.

I think this is a very important point to notice. If it is true, then Royal has that to fall back on when assigning cabins and is probably why the original rep insisted that her (meager) first offer was fair.

If anyone finds this, please post it.

I have never noticed this before, probably because the cruises I look at rarely offer a W guarantee.

I think this is a very important point to notice. If it is true, then Royal has that to fall back on when assigning cabins and is probably why the original rep insisted that her (meager) first offer was fair.

If anyone finds this, please post it.

I have seen this before, and it also struck me as being very odd!

Here's what I can see under the Terms and Conditions on the Aus site:

5. Pricing and ‘guarantee’ bookings

Brochure pricing

The prices quoted in this brochure show the lowest price (‘Prices from’) available on a specified sailing date as shown in each price panel. The price will vary by ship, itinerary, sailing date and cabin grade. Where there is more than one departure date shown for the same cruise itinerary then the prices provided in this brochure are the minimum prices available for the lowest priced of the multiple departure dates. To find out the price for your chosen cruise, sailing date and cabin grade contact your travel agent or visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au.

‘Guarantee’ (GTY) bookings

From time to time, we may offer you the option of making what we call a ‘Guarantee’ (GTY) booking. This means you may book a cabin of a guaranteed category type (Interior, Oceanview, Balcony or Suite) on your chosen ship and cruise. However, the exact grade, number and location of the cabin on the ship will be allocated by us (at our discretion) and at any time up until checking in at the port. Once your GTY cabin has been allocated to you, we are unable to accept any changes requested by you. The benefits to you of a GTY cabin are that after your booking has been confirmed, we may (at our discretion) upgrade your cabin to one of a superior category to that originally booked at no extra charge to you. In any event, you are ‘guaranteed’ the minimum category of cabin we agree to offer at the time of booking. At times, we may offer promotional GTY offers. Please note that if you are upgraded to an oceanview or balcony cabin/suite, you may be allocated a cabin/suite with a partially obstructed view.

Such promotional GTY categories are defined as follows:

W Suite/Deluxe

X Balcony Cabin

Y Oceanview Cabin

Z Interior Cabin

Please note: If you book two or more cruises to be taken consecutively (back to back) and either one or all cruises are booked under a GTY basis, you may be allocated different cabins on each cruise, therefore necessitating the need to move between cabins on the changeover day between your consecutive cruises.

There's no asterisk indicating a second "term and condition" to suggest the Oceanview fall back plan. When I tried a dummy booking for a W guarantee it again said the same as above in brief.

I currently have 3 future guarantee bookings with RCI so this thread has been an interesting learning experience.

There's no asterisk indicating a second "term and condition" to suggest the Oceanview fall back plan. When I tried a dummy booking for a W guarantee it again said the same as above in brief.

I found the same t & c for guarantees but I also found this posted on another forum:

"When looking at the type of suites available on a cruise, they are listed in order of size / cost. Just below JS, there's another class called "W - Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee".

The amenities description are the same as the JS (Sq Ft, balcony, image), so it appears that they are offering a JS for a few hundred dollars less, except you won't know which particular cabin will be assigned until anytime up to sailing date. Sounds like a GREAT deal!

But it also says that you are guaranteed to receive a "Superior Ocean View Stateroom" to be determined up to the day of sailing.

If I select a "W" cabin, will I get a JS or a "Superior Ocean View"?"

So I think you may only see this disclaimer when you are looking at the actual booking opportunity on the website.

Edited by marci22

I found the same t & c for guarantees but I also found this posted on another forum:

"When looking at the type of suites available on a cruise, they are listed in order of size / cost. Just below JS, there's another class called "W - Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee".

The amenities description are the same as the JS (Sq Ft, balcony, image), so it appears that they are offering a JS for a few hundred dollars less, except you won't know which particular cabin will be assigned until anytime up to sailing date. Sounds like a GREAT deal!

But it also says that you are guaranteed to receive a "Superior Ocean View Stateroom" to be determined up to the day of sailing.

If I select a "W" cabin, will I get a JS or a "Superior Ocean View"?"

So I think you may only see this disclaimer when you are looking at the actual booking opportunity on the website.

Each time I have booked W on Royal Caribbean (Four times IIRC), I have gotten a JS or higher. The worst I have gotten is a JS, the best a crown loft. I still believe W is intended be a JS minimum. Really, using the word "deluxe" in multiple stateroom categories (E balcony vs suite) is a poor choice, as it results in confusion. Royal Caribbean should fix that, but I am not holding my breathe.

I'd have been very upset if they had placed me in a balcony, as happened to the OP...I think is was an error, one I hope they never, ever repeat. I am glad it was resolved to the OP's satisfaction.

I just booked a (W) and this was the description::confused:

"With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a Deluxe/Suites stateroom, which could be in any Deluxe/Suites category (excluding suites), anywhere on the ship. Room assignments are determined after your reservation has been completed and paid in full."

"With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a Deluxe/Suites stateroom, which could be in any Deluxe/Suites category (excluding suites), anywhere on the ship. Room assignments are determined after your reservation has been completed and paid in full."

EXCLUDING suites? What the heck? Is this the "duplicate" W Guarantee that was mentioned previously?:confused::confused:

What cruise is this? To me, 'any Deluxe/' includes Deluxe OV staterooms with balconies. What other room is described as 'deluxe'? The wording is poor.

Can't find it on the US site, but this is from the AU site...Royal's info, directly copied..

4. What are categories W, X, Y and Z?

Categories W, X, Y and Z are promotional guarantees. This means you may book a stateroom of a guaranteed category type (Z - Interior, Y - Oceanview, X - Balcony or W - Suite) on your chosen ship and cruise. However, the exact grade, number and location of the stateroom on the ship will be allocated by us (at our discretion) and at any time up until checking in at the port. Once your GTY stateroom has been allocated to you, we are unable to accept any changes requested by you. The benefits to you of a GTY stateroom are that after your booking has been confirmed, we may (at our discretion) upgrade your stateroom to one of a superior category to that originally booked at no extra charge to you. Please note that if you are upgraded to an oceanview or balcony stateroom/suite, you may be allocated a stateroom/suite with a partially obstructed view.

The management is obviously to blame - just as the airlines do, RCL probably overbooks using guaranty cabins, and in this case, they guessed wrong. It can happen, but they need to have a standard procedure in place to deal with it. Either they don't, or they do and don't train their employees on it. Just letting each employee try to solve this problem their own way is not a way to customer satisfaction - or future revenue.

The difference between an airline overbooking and a cruise ship overbooking is that the vast majority of the time when an airline is overbooked, someone will gladly volunteer to take a bump for compensation, and usually arrives at their destination within an hour or two of their previously scheduled time on a different flight. You can't simply move a cruise passenger to another cruise that will take them to the same places and return them more or less at the same time.

Cruise lines don't refund for late cancellations, so there's no reason for them to overbook other than greed.

I'm glad the OP is happy, but I think given the way things started, I would have disputed the whole mess with my credit card and found something else to do on vacation. It's been my experience that when something starts off that badly, it never gets better. RCCL should have given her the option of cancelling the entire trip with a full refund, or comped the entire base cruise cost for the downgraded cabin, plus offered something for their aggravation. The bottom line is that OP didn't get what was booked, and RCCL still got to keep her money. That's just wrong.