Anyone here sail Nordic Empress / Empress of the Seas

I was poking around Euro-itineraries and see some interesting ones that Pullmantur Empress does. Pullmantur is an affiliated brand with RCI and absorbs some of the ships to lead a second life.

They currently operate RCI's former Sovereign of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Empress of the Seas and Celebrity Zenith.

It looks like it can be an interesting way to sample Europe and get that older/smaller ship charm. To me Empress looks particularly appealing but I can find very little on CC about Pullmantur at all. I don't believe RCI offers any benefit reciprocity with Pullmantur, but the appeal would be the throwback ship experience.

Does anyone have photos or stories of travel aboard Nordic Empress / Empress of the Seas? Any input on or interaction with Pullmantur?

Pullmanteur caters specifically to the Spanish market so unless you speak Spanish I'm sure that you would find the cruise experience quite different than what you would be accustomed to on RCI. It is the same with TUI cruises which caters to the German speaking population.

There is no benefit reciprocity between these brands.

Pullmanteur caters specifically to the Spanish market so unless you speak Spanish I'm sure that you would find the cruise experience quite different than what you would be accustomed to on RCI. It is the same with TUI cruises which caters to the German speaking population.

There is no benefit reciprocity between these brands.

Consider me suitably deterred! I am pretty naive as far as the European/Off-brands (at least off brand compared to the big names people in US are familiar with). I'd be interested to try a euro cruise on a second hand/smaller ship, my Spanish and French might get me shot (or might not); anything else is unworkable for me unfortunately.

The Empress of the Seas used to sail NY to Bermuda 10 years ago.

I sailed her many times.

Its a nice ship-and have great memories on that ship. While in Aruba a couple of years ago I saw the old Zenith(Old Celebrity Ship) in port. she was looking pretty good.

My very first cruise was Nordic Empress back in 1991 out of Miami.

Didn't have much to compare to since it was my first and didn't cruise again until 2004.

Wonder if I could get C & A points for that cruise with no information but July of 1991?

Empress was our favorite RCI ship when she was part of the fleet. We cruised aboard her as Nordic Empress (pre rock wall) then as EOS. Despite her relatively small size, she felt plenty big enough for us with a Centrum and shops. Our staterooms included a bow cabin in which we had a forward facing window.

While the rock wall was a necessary RCI add on, it obscured the aft view of the viking crown and it was kind of strange having the gym located on the second floor of that lounge.

Good to see she is in good hands! :)

My very first cruise was Nordic Empress back in 1991 out of Miami.

Didn't have much to compare to since it was my first and didn't cruise again until 2004.

Wonder if I could get C & A points for that cruise with no information but July of 1991?

Yes, you could, because I did. I didn't get points for at least one of the cruises I took. I sailed on the Nordic Empress several times back in the early 1990's. I know you would need to have proof. I had to fax a picture. They told me there was no such ship and I said there was, because I sailed on it. They only knew it to be Empress of the Seas. I told them they had changed the name from Nordic Empress to Empress of the Seas. Must have been new to Royal when I called about it.

I would at least call them about it and see what they say. I also got points for being on the Emerald Seas from Admiral cruise lines during the same time period. Royal owned Admiral cruise lines for a while. I can't remember if they needed proof for that one or not. But, probably did.

To this day, I always get the welcome aboard picture they take, which always has the sail date and ship's name on it. That is all the proof they would need if anything is questioned. Back then, they didn't have sea pass cards, which I also save now.

Good Luck.

Gwen :)

I was poking around Euro-itineraries and see some interesting ones that Pullmantur Empress does. Pullmantur is an affiliated brand with RCI and absorbs some of the ships to lead a second life.

They currently operate RCI's former Sovereign of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Empress of the Seas and Celebrity Zenith.

It looks like it can be an interesting way to sample Europe and get that older/smaller ship charm. To me Empress looks particularly appealing but I can find very little on CC about Pullmantur at all. I don't believe RCI offers any benefit reciprocity with Pullmantur, but the appeal would be the throwback ship experience.

Does anyone have photos or stories of travel aboard Nordic Empress / Empress of the Seas? Any input on or interaction with Pullmantur?

ne2_zps25b30701.jpg

Our first cruise back in 1993, and we've been hooked since then.

I have several photos although I'll apologize in advance for the quality--photography has come along way in the last 20 years for us amateurs. :D

I only know I wasn't using an instant polaroid back then....

We also sailed Empress right before she left the fleet. She was known as the "little ship with the big heart" and it was appropriate. Great Crew.

She should have also been know as the little ship with the tiny cabins--you couldn't turn around in them! There was no place to sit except on the bed or in the chair at the desk. It would be OK if you only went to the cabin to sleep.

We really enjoyed our time on Nordic Empress - Manhattan to Bermuda. The first cruise ship with a two deck Dining Room with fabulous round rear window that was two decks high. Unfortunately from what I can see online the window has since been replaced with rear cabins.

Here is the Pullmantur website in English:

http://www.pullmantur.es/en/portada.html

You can see here that Pullmantur is an integral part of the Corporation (RCCL):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Caribbean_Cruises_Ltd.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

We sailed on her for Thanksgiving in 1991 out of Miami. What a wonderful ship! She was originally was being built for the old Royal Cruise line that sold out to Royal Caribbean. This ship was a newbuild at the time of sale and RC keep it but sold off the other assets from Royal. Going back and looking at the pics of that cruise that I took several were of other ships in port with us. Anybody remember Dolphin Cruises?

Empress of the Seas holds a very special place in our hearts since she was our honeymoon cruise 10 years ago. :)

WONDERFUL little ship. Loved her. She was a true Royal Caribbean ship but in a small package. Even after sailing on the Allure, the Empress is still one of our favorite cruise memories. I wish Royal would've kept her for unique itineraries.

Do keep in mind that sailings on Pullmantur will be 100% in Spanish. Announcements, shore excursions, entertainment, daily publications, etc. I'm a native Spanish speaker so the language difference would actually be a bonus, but I can see how it may be an issue for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We just saw her, docked at Funchal, Madeira, when we were there on Celebrity Silhouette. Still looks good. Just called "Empress" now. One of our favorite ships, especially the Boleros lounge that had live Latin dance music.