Jewel - Dreaded Tables for Two

I'm with you but its not a whole week or so its only couple of hours in the evening...and the MDR was Never designed for privacy so i don't get it...

I perfer a larger table , my wife likes a table for 2, she deals with many people every day , all day and just wants to dine alone. But we have had some great large tables and kept in contact with some of them for years. Best table we had was on RCCL table for 10 including one of the ships Doctors, we got along so great we all went to the shows together, this was 25 years ago on Soverign

It's not a matter of being afraid of others, being ackward at small talk, not wanting to make friends, or anything like that. For us we choose cruising to unwind, relax and spend quality time with each other. We are both in the people business, meaning that we deal with people at meetings, seminars, etc all the time as part of our business. We are experts at small talk. So for us to just be able to go to dinner, just the two of us, and sit at a private table for two...priceless.

Jewel - my time dining - tables for 2 - are CLOSE....

You are almost eating with the same people every night (since the Jewel

staff REALLY likes you to make a reservation for the same time each night). I like MY TIME - they like THEIR time:D

We booked our next Feb cruise on Carnival - who seems able to seat you at a MTD - table for 2 without a standing reservation for the same time.

My husband and I cruised the Carnival Victory and found the same situation with tables for two in their MTD. We could pick our time and go whenever, but the tables were still so close together you might as well have been dining with those at the next tables.

My husband and I HATE those "banquette" style tables for two, and almost all cruise lines have them. I won't sit on the "wall" side, because I'm afraid my tushy will wipe out the table next to us, and their stuff will be on the floor! THAT'S how close together they are!

We are very specific when we go in to MTD now on any cruise line: we want a SEPARATE table for two, not the bench seat style tables. We like to eat at a separate, private table.

We have many times been seated at a table for 4 with no one else.

You stated that well! I was trying to figure out how to explain how hard it is to even get in the seat with the tables so close together and you did it perfectly!

It's not a matter of being afraid of others, being ackward at small talk, not wanting to make friends, or anything like that. For us we choose cruising to unwind, relax and spend quality time with each other. We are both in the people business, meaning that we deal with people at meetings, seminars, etc all the time as part of our business. We are experts at small talk. So for us to just be able to go to dinner, just the two of us, and sit at a private table for two...priceless.

This right here!

This will be the first time my husband and I have cruised alone, (actually our first vacation alone after 30 years of marriage) and we thought a table for two in the evening would be nice. We enjoy dining with others at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. We're not anti-social at all, just wanted to try something different.

Made our standing reservations on line for MyTime but there wasn't a place to add comments like "we want a SEPARATE table for two, not the bench seat style tables. We like to eat at a separate, private table" that was suggested in an earlier post. So I guess we will just get with them when we board or that first night.

Great explanation - I will have to remember that when asked! It is just so nice to unwind by yourselves and not have to answer a lot of unwanted questions!

One question on MTD dining - this is our first time trying it and we are joined by two other family members who may/may not choose to join us.

If we are seated at a table for 4, and they decide not to show up, does that make us look bad? One person in particular does not like to be "nailed" down to a specific time but wants to join us in the evening for dinner. I am just not sure how this will work out!

Edited by MIcruiser99
spelling correction

Made our standing reservations on line for MyTime but there wasn't a place to add comments like "we want a SEPARATE table for two, not the bench seat style tables. We like to eat at a separate, private table" that was suggested in an earlier post. So I guess we will just get with them when we board or that first night.

Call RCCL / C&A and have them put it in your reservation notes.

Great explanation - I will have to remember that when asked! It is just so nice to unwind by yourselves and not have to answer a lot of unwanted questions!

One question on MTD dining - this is our first time trying it and we are joined by two other family members who may/may not choose to join us.

If we are seated at a table for 4, and they decide not to show up, does that make us look bad? One person in particular does not like to be "nailed" down to a specific time but wants to join us in the evening for dinner. I am just not sure how this will work out!

We did exactly this, cruised with another couple, some nights all four of us dined together, some nights, we dined separately and they just put 2 of us at the 4 top...no one gave us the stink eye ;)

Edited by Familygoboston

We did exactly this, cruised with another couple, some nights all four of us dined together, some nights, we dined separately and they just put 2 of us at the 4 top...no one gave us the stink eye ;)

Thanks, I was told that the other couple would "try" to dine with us but I worry that they may not feel up to dinner and not bother to warn us. I don't want to get the stink eye!!

Just curious, why Are here so many People afraid of others while dining?

I'm with you but its not a whole week or so its only couple of hours in the evening...and the MDR was Never designed for privacy so i don't get it...

I remember the first time my wife and I dined out in Germany. We were seated in a very crowded dining room at a table for 4. Just as we were ordering, another couple came to the table and asked "ist here frei?" We didn't quite know what to do as our culture is a bit different in that respect. Of course, we said yes and they sat with us. We could converse or not as we wished. We chose not to; except that when their meal came we wished them "guten appetit". They also respected our wishes.

You must understand that even though we now choose to dine alone, we are not "afraid" of others; we just choose to enjoy each others company. Don't be so quick to judge. To the OP; we always specify a free standing table for two.

We may have to wait a bit but that is our preference. So I say to the OP: I get it!

We aren't afraid of others, we prefer to dine alone. If you prefer to eat with others, go for it.

Agree...100%...I prefer to not sit with other's when dining in a land based restaurant and prefer the same onboard...why should it be any different. Oasis and the Freedom class had great MTD T-tops for two...I wish the Radiance class did also.

We always do two's Sometimes they are as close as the photo, other times we are beside a column or railing all alone.

Since they are physically separated, even if only 12". I don't feel any requirement to chat with the neighbors.

Never had a problem with any of them. And as others have said, sometimes if there are lots of 4 tops available we get one all by ourselves.

I never understood two sitting next together on a 4 top, I want to look into my sweetie's eyes, and talk directly at her, not the side of her head.

Edited by cruzincurt

That's what we do. When we go down to dinner we just ask for a table that is not the bench style. They have always given us a table for 2 or sometimes 4 (with just the 2 of us at it). It has never been a problem

We always do two's Sometimes they are as close as the photo, other times we are beside a column or railing all alone.

Since they are physically separated, even if only 12". I don't feel any requirement to chat with the neighbors.

Never had a problem with any of them. And as others have said, sometimes if there are lots of 4 tops available we get one all by ourselves.

I never understood two sitting next together on a 4 top, I want to look into my sweetie's eyes, and talk directly at her, not the side of her head.

Our problem with the bench style 2's is the people next to us listening in on our personal conversations.

''

every night we showed up as two, we sat at a table for two

Don't you previously make a reservation for a specific time and number of people? My concern is that we make a specific reservation for 4 then the other party may or may not show.

We always do two's Sometimes they are as close as the photo, other times we are beside a column or railing all

We sometimes get a 4 top table for two, I am legally deaf in the speech pattern, so sitting across the table and talking is extremely difficult many evenings. On the four top we sit side by side so we can communicate better. We all have different ineeds.

• 8 years later...

Bringing back up an very old thread.....So for those currently or recently any great locations to ask for a nice private table for 2 on Jewel of the Seas?

Locations or Table #'s would be great.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Bringing back up an very old thread.....So for those currently or recently any great locations to ask for a nice private table for 2 on Jewel of the Seas?

Locations or Table #'s would be great.

Table numbers change. Our last cruise on the JOS was 2017, MTD, deck 5, Tides dining room. We had a two top along the rail (looking down at deck 4 dining room) for both legs of our B2B cruise. Tables in  back, forward and to the starboard side of us were well spaced. In our opinion, great location. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Just not in the front of the dining room. Way too much foot traffic.

Do they still have those tables for 2 about 10 inches apart, where one seat is a bench seating?

Anyone with recent pictures of tables for 2 on JOS ?

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Do they still have those tables for 2 about 10 inches apart, where one seat is a bench seating?

Anyone with recent pictures of tables for 2 on JOS ?

I didn't notice any when I was on her in March, but I was near the front (not the bad part of the front fortunately).

I just returned from the Jewel and used my time dining. Some tables for 2 were side by side but others were angled. They were not as close as the ones on my last 3 Celebrity cruises so I was pleased. I smile politlely but keep my answers short to avoid conversations when eating. I am not anti-social but request a table for 2 for a reason.