Jewel - Dreaded Tables for Two

We have heard so much about the dreaded tables for two configuration in the main dining room. Those that are so close together (like 12-24 inches) that you might as well be dining with others. Does anyone have any photos so we can see what that looks like?

We have heard so much about the dreaded tables for two configuration in the main dining room. Those that are so close together (like 12-24 inches) that you might as well be dining with others. Does anyone have any photos so we can see what that looks like?
Have sat at many tables for two over the past several years and Jewel happens to be one of the ships. You obviously have gotten bad info on these tables, sorry. No different than any home based restaurant and never have had a problem with them being "so close together"....hope that helps.

Here is an example of how close they can be. It wasn't bad though, you still could choose to say hello or even a little more, or not talk at all.

1484827141_Tablefortwo.jpg.b7c379104ad2b7a194c53eebd3a2eb58.jpg

If you are speaking of MyTime Dining, we were just on Serenade and can confirm that if the configuration is the same on Jewel (i.e. same class of ship) the tables for two are awful. 12 inches is an exaggeration - 4 inches maximum between them, you may as well be sitting on a long table for 10 unless you're lucky enough to get a window or an aisle table - and then you'll still have the next table sitting virtually on top of you.

The layout is very similar for tables for 2 on Select Dining on S class Celebrity ships and on those ships, along with Serenade, I made this point on my feedback form. If I wanted to sit on a table for 10 I would have selected Main Dining or requested a shared table.

It really wouldn't take that much effort to reorganise the dining room to make table for 2 actually feel as if they're for 2.

Have sat at many tables for two over the past several years and Jewel happens to be one of the ships. You obviously have gotten bad info on these tables, sorry. No different than any home based restaurant and never have had a problem with them being "so close together"....hope that helps.

What? The information is completely correct. It's like one big, long table for 40 along the window! There are some nicer tables over by the railing that overlook the dining room, but the majority of 2-tops are indeed THISCLOSE to one another.

It was so awkward for us on Jewel that we decided to forego the 2-top and sit with 6 others the next night. At least it made more sense (to us, anyway). Now we take dinner in the Windjammer and are thoroughly enjoying that. :)

EDITED to add : this is the set up for My Time Dining. If a member is speaking of Traditional Dining, then we didn't sit in that portion of the dining room but we have seen it on Serenade - same kind of thing with tables very close together.

Edited by Langley Cruisers
  • Thanks 1

This is what I love about CC...quick answers and help from others...thanks!!

We are doing b2bs, just the two of us the first week then tons of family on the second. So we want to enjoy some private time on the first 7 days. We are doing MyTime dining so I may ask for one of the tables for 4 next to the rail on the second level and ask they they keep it just for two. Think I will be successful with that?

We are doing b2bs, just the two of us the first week then tons of family on the second. So we want to enjoy some private time on the first 7 days. We are doing MyTime dining so I may ask for one of the tables for 4 next to the rail on the second level and ask they they keep it just for two. Think I will be successful with that?

Ooo. Probably not. MTD is popular and I think they will be anxious to fill the 4-tops with either 3 or 4 people. I have never seen 2 people at a larger table in MTD.

Enjoy your B2B! We did that as well (Hurricane Sandy!) and had an absolute blast. She is a beautiful ship. You will love the outdoor aft seating in the Windjammer. :)

EDITED to add: When you board, go check out the MTD section; see the 2-tops along the railing and ask if you can be assigned to one of them. I'm not sure it will happen but it's worth a try.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

The tables for two along the windows are ridiculously close together. There are also tables for two that are along the short dividing walls of the dining room. The chairs from those tables are back to back to each other, as opposed to side by side, so they are more private. Scout out a good table and see if you can get it "reserved". We ended up being at the same two tables the whole week we were on the Jewel. Most nights we were beside the same people, one very nice couple and one very standoffish couple who communicated with no one other than their waiter.

Jewel - my time dining - tables for 2 - are CLOSE....

You are almost eating with the same people every night (since the Jewel

staff REALLY likes you to make a reservation for the same time each night). I like MY TIME - they like THEIR time:D

We booked our next Feb cruise on Carnival - who seems able to seat you at a MTD - table for 2 without a standing reservation for the same time.

My husband and I HATE those "banquette" style tables for two, and almost all cruise lines have them. I won't sit on the "wall" side, because I'm afraid my tushy will wipe out the table next to us, and their stuff will be on the floor! THAT'S how close together they are!

We are very specific when we go in to MTD now on any cruise line: we want a SEPARATE table for two, not the bench seat style tables. We like to eat at a separate, private table.

We have many times been seated at a table for 4 with no one else.

We are doing MyTime dining so I may ask for one of the tables for 4 next to the rail on the second level and ask they they keep it just for two. Think I will be successful with that?

Whilst this would be nice in an ideal world, as a fellow diner I would not be happy to see a couple get a table for four next to the railing every night. Having said that, this is exactly what happened on our Serenade cruise. One couple - high cruisers who had been on the Transatlantic prior to our cruise got just that. They obviously had some 'special' deal with the dining room host ;) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

How sucessful might you be getting a four top for two of you? I see you are boarding in late August. By then some schools are back in session and other families might be prepping for school rather than sailing. So there maybe be fewer triple and quad cabins, and therefore fewer guests than peak summer...that might help a little bit. What time will you be dining? If you are among their latest diners, they may not expect much demand to follow, so they be willing to give you a four top for the two of you if any are open. Hard to say if they'll do it for you earlier. Being really nice to the host or hostess cannot hurt...

Since we've had this done for us on several cruises, I'll tell you what worked for us. They appreaciate if you eat later, after the crowds are gone. This way they don't have a high demand for tables for 4. We go in between 7:45 - 8:15pm, and request/reserve the same table every night.

My wife and I had a table for two that close to others on a Celebrity Cruise. We got to know the other couples so well that by the middle of the cruise the staff was pushing the tables together before we all would arrive for dinner :D

The tables for two along the windows are ridiculously close together.

If you are speaking of MyTime Dining, we were just on Serenade and can confirm that if the configuration is the same on Jewel (i.e. same class of ship) the tables for two are awful. 12 inches is an exaggeration - 4 inches maximum between them, you may as well be sitting on a long table for 10 unless you're lucky enough to get a window or an aisle table - and then you'll still have the next table sitting virtually on top of you.

I agree, reallyitsmema, we had the same experience with MTD on the Radiance. We were seated along the windows, with the backs of our chairs nearly touching the chairs behind us- and the table to the side was right there! Very cramped. For our next cruise (Jewel), we will choose traditional seating and/or a larger table...or the Windjammer. :)

Jewel - my time dining - tables for 2 - are CLOSE....

You are almost eating with the same people every night (since the Jewel

staff REALLY likes you to make a reservation for the same time each night). I like MY TIME - they like THEIR time:D

We booked our next Feb cruise on Carnival - who seems able to seat you at a MTD - table for 2 without a standing reservation for the same time.

They may like their time, but they will accommodate you if you just show up when you want to. You just may have to wait.

I agree, reallyitsmema, we had the same experience with MTD on the Radiance. We were seated along the windows, with the backs of our chairs nearly touching the chairs behind us- and the table to the side was right there! Very cramped. For our next cruise (Jewel), we will choose traditional seating and/or a larger table...or the Windjammer. :)

On Jewel, the Windjammer is superior to the MDR in almost every way. The food is better, there are some amazing cooked-to-order stations (stir fry, steak/chicken/fish, pasta cooked to order), it's quieter, the staff aren't run off their feet and you can dine as you please.

My wife and I had a table for two that close to others on a Celebrity Cruise. We got to know the other couples so well that by the middle of the cruise the staff was pushing the tables together before we all would arrive for dinner :D

Me, too! :D

On Jewel, the Windjammer is superior to the MDR in almost every way. The food is better, there are some amazing cooked-to-order stations (stir fry, steak/chicken/fish, pasta cooked to order), it's quieter, the staff aren't run off their feet and you can dine as you please.

Thank you Jean, that sounds very nice! And Jewel still has the wonderful outdoor seating off the back of the Windjammer!

Just cruised Jewel May 2014. Here are two photos in MyTime the include tables for two by the railing and by the window.

Very interesting - that layout is nothing like it was on Serenade last month (or on Jewel when we sailed on her a few years ago). Perhaps they are finally listening to disgruntled guests and reorganising the table layouts.

I always do MTD when cruising with my sister. Sometimes they put other people with us and just as often we share a table. They will ask you which you prefer. If you are happy with the table and the servers the first night they will usually try to seat you there on subsequent nights.

On a recent cruise with DH there was a screw up at the table we were assigned for traditional dining so they put us at a 2 top in an area with one 2 top next to us. The staff was great and we shared the area with another couple and were able to have our alone time plus some conversation with our neighbors.

I think on a cruise you tend to be more open to talking to neighboring tables if doing traditional than at a land based restaurant. MTD felt more like dining at a land based restaurant. You talk to your tablemate and kind of ignore everyone around you.