Princess moved our rooms

Yingus

Just went on to view our reservations (3 rooms) and all 3 have been upgraded (or it looks like it). Anyone with information on our new rooms would be greatly appreciated. Princess Grand... moved from E419 to E121 E210 to P209

and E418 to E618. Thanks so much!

Just went on to view our reservations (3 rooms) and all 3 have been upgraded (or it looks like it). Anyone with information on our new rooms would be greatly appreciated. Princess Grand... moved from E419 to E121 E210 to P209

E121 is an oceanview with the window next to the deck 8 upper extension of the covered promenade deck, P209 is an oceanview near the piazza & E618 is an obstructed o/v looking between lifeboats. Whether that's a better location is an individual opinion & if you haven't viewed the helpful website created by CC member 'renmar' you can see obstructed o/v photos.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/home

E418 to E613 is actually a 3-category downgrade. It'll have an okay view, but it's definitely a lower category than 418.

P209 is an unobstructed oceanview cabin. I think it might be a little smaller than average as it's just where the hull begins to curve at the bow.

E121 has a view over the upper promenade deck, so they'll see a sold-metal railing -- and the occasional person walking past their window.

I don't think the latter two are great upgrades but that's the chance you take when you leave your booking open to accept upgrading. I'd probably stick with P209, as the size of the room doesn't matter to me, but I'd probably try to get E419 back instead of E121.

And definitely check out renmar's website!

Are you sure you have the substitutions lined up correctly? E418 to E618 is a downgrade in category (OV to`OY) and moves you from a cabin midship right near the lifts to one further aft and opposite the launderette!

E210 to P209 is a move from right above the Princess Theatre to right below with the benefit of an unobstructed view.

E419 to E121 again moves you from midship to a less desirable location--just to give you an unobstructed view of the people walking the upper level of the promenade.

Curious if you had these reservations linked, or marked 'no upgrade'. Unusual to move one of the three to a different deck for such a middling improvement.

Edited by fishywood

I looked at the deck plans and I'm confused. Being moved from E419 to E121 would not be an upgrade in my opinion. You've been moved from mid-ship that's partially obstructed and because it's over one of the smaller boats, it wouldn't be much of an obstruction to a cabin on public deck with people walking by all day. If you look at the deck plans, Promenade deck goes up stairs so those few cabins at the front of the ship which while unobstructed will have people right there. The move from E418 to E618 is also not an upgrade in my opinion. Again, because E418 is mid-ship and E618 is towards the aft. E618 is right at the laundry which might have noise. As for E210 to P209, that's an upgrade to an unobstructed cabin. You are now all over the ship and on separate decks. To be honest, I wouldn't want these "upgrades." They're just a category or two difference and you are now widely separated. :(

Thanks for all the info... I assumed they were upgrades since two of them are in categories of ocean views now. I didn't know they could just move our cabins (and I didn't mark as do not move...which I didn't know I should). I'm not exactly happy with one of the cabins being on another floor. We leave in 2 weeks... will Princess move them back if I call? Or change them? (I did try and call but they are closed at the moment)

Thanks for all the info... I assumed they were upgrades since two of them are in categories of ocean views now. I didn't know they could just move our cabins (and I didn't mark as do not move...which I didn't know I should). I'm not exactly happy with one of the cabins being on another floor. We leave in 2 weeks... will Princess move them back if I call? Or change them? (I did try and call but they are closed at the moment)

Yes, do call them tomorrow. Or, if you booked through a TA (which I guess you didn't, since you didn't know about marking your cabin choices "do not upgrade"), the TA should call. Anyway, there's no guarantee you can get the cabins back but definitely act quickly to try. If the person answering the phone can't help, politely ask to speak to someone above them. Point out that they can upgrade the persons they upgraded into your cabins. Then have the restored cabins marked "no upgrades"! Good luck.

I actually did book through a T/A, so I guess they didn't mark it as do not move. Ugh... totally frustrating since we leave in 2 weeks. This is my parents and brother's first cruise (My parents are 79, 82). They are on the same floor, and I have been moved to another floor. We're on the Grand. Princess never contacted us about the change, I just happen to see it when I went online tonight.

I actually did book through a T/A, so I guess they didn't mark it as do not move. Ugh... totally frustrating since we leave in 2 weeks. This is my parents and brother's first cruise (My parents are 79, 82). They are on the same floor, and I have been moved to another floor. We're on the Grand. Princess never contacted us about the change, I just happen to see it when I went online tonight.

Since you booked through a TA it is highly unlikely that Princess will talk to you. Get your TA on the line and have them call as soon as possible. You may be able to get your cabin changes reversed if you are quick about it and if your TA is any good at all.

If you booked through a TA, Princess would have contacted your TA not you. I'd phone your TA as soon as possible. Your TA will need to call Princess ...they won't talk to you about it. Your TA should have told you about the upgrade vs. no upgrade option.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Even the best TAs have bad moments. Hopefully it's not too late, although there's no telling how long ago the change was made. In any case, I don't think any of the new cabins are awful -- although I am puzzled by the one obvious downgrade and I'd definitely not let that sleeping dog lie. Your TA needs to get on Princess and find out what compensation you're receiving for that, at least. In fact, your TA needs first to try to get all the cabins back. Try hard. S/he dropped the ball twice, by not informing you of the no-upgrade option and by not letting you know they were informed of the upgrades. So they owe you their sweat equity to get it sorted out.

I always try to get E418 or E416 -- nice midship location. While E618 isn't horrible in my opinion, it is less expensive and not as desirable location as those listed above. Did you book a guarantee? If not, did they give you a bunch of OBC to take the move? I would be all up in arms if they moved me from a nice midship location to the front of the ship, obstructed or not. I do try to pick my location carefully based on the itinerary. You will feel a lot more movement up in front, especially in rougher waters. I would rather have the slight obstruction of a midship OV than feel queasy the entire cruise in a forward cabin.

Hope you are able to get your original cabin back.

The only cabin changes that happen automatically are upgrades (whether or not people think their upgrades are actually better cabins is a whole different topics). If you're in a LOWER category than what you booked and paid for, something very weird happened. Sometimes Princess will contact a booked passenger or their TA and ask them to accept a lower category, but as someone else said, there's generally compensation involved, and your TA would have had to have agreed to it.

I would highly recommend not only contacting your TA, but asking to be conferenced in with Princess when he/she calls them so you can hear what's going on.

I looked at the deck plans and I'm confused. Being moved from E419 to E121 would not be an upgrade in my opinion. You've been moved from mid-ship that's partially obstructed and because it's over one of the smaller boats, it wouldn't be much of an obstruction to a cabin on public deck with people walking by all day.

Isn't E121 over the first part of the stairway from deck 7 to deck 8?

If that is the case, nobody on the stairway would be able to see into the cabin and there would not be a parade of people walking by.

A few years ago my wife and I had a mid ship suite booked for a pacific crossing on the Diamond and had reserved an interior directly across the hall for her elderly parents. After flying into anchorage 3 days early we eventually made our way to Whittier to board. It wasn't until we had turned over our luggage and made our way to our cabins on caribe deck that we realized her parents had been 'upgraded' to an OV forward and three decks away. Their luggage tags had been printed just two days before departure and showed the original cabin number. We could have caught the change at checkin if we had only looked at their ship ID.

Not wanting her parents 3 decks away we went to passenger services and asked them to return them to their original cabin. The manager there was able to swap them back and lukily the other cruisers agreed to take the OV.

This is how we learned to mark the reservations as "no upgrade" if we are happy with our location.

I always recommend people traveling together in groups that require more than one cabin to request "no upgrade" when making their reservations. Being on different decks isn't as much of a bother as being at opposite ends of the ship would be.

Call Princess and tell them you do not want to be moved. They have done this to us on our last two cruises and on the one coming up. We took the bait on the first one and we were sorry we did it. It wasn't an upgrade to us. Last two cruises they switched us and I was immediately on the phone demanding our old cabin back. They tried to move us from the Caribe deck to the Aloha deck. We got our cabins back and told them no upgrade to Aloha deck. We should have listened to Pam on the first move.

So let me get this correctly......when I last spoke to princess, they informed me that my status was open to being upgraded. She promised that we would have 48 hours to respond if we didn't want the upgraded cabin for any reason.....does that sound right? I certainly want any options to be approved by me and no assumptions made!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your booking is open to an automatic, complimentary upgrade and you receive one, you will receive a notification if Princess upgrades you to a different room (if you're booked through a TA, the TA will receive it).

Generally if you contact Princess within 48 hours of receiving an upgrade and tell them you want to decline it they can get your room back for you, but they don't guarantee it (the rep you talk to on the phone will submit a request to another department).

They will NOT check with you first to see if you approve the upgrade.

Call Princess and tell them you do not want to be moved.
Unfortunately, they can't call Princess because they used a TA to book. Princess will answer general cruising questions but will not discuss a specific booking. This is the TA's responsibility and they dropped the ball. I'd be on the phone with the TA first thing in the morning and demand they get your cabins back or move you to cabins near each other. If they refuse, ask to speak to their supervisor or owner.

Then, while you're on your cruise, ask around for TA recommendations. You need a new, and better, TA.

So let me get this correctly......when I last spoke to princess, they informed me that my status was open to being upgraded. She promised that we would have 48 hours to respond if we didn't want the upgraded cabin for any reason.....does that sound right? I certainly want any options to be approved by me and no assumptions made!
Yes, that's correct. ALL bookings are marked "Will accept an upgrade" by default. You need to specifically request that your booking be marked "No upgrade" or "Meta upgrade only." A meta upgrade is from one cabin type to another: inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, balcony to mini-suite. Princess is not very good about notifying passengers of a cabin change. :( Edited by Pam in CA

Unfortunately, they can't call Princess because they used a TA to book. Princess will answer general cruising questions but will not discuss a specific booking. This is the TA's responsibility and they dropped the ball. I'd be on the phone with the TA first thing in the morning and demand they get your cabins back or move you to cabins near each other. If they refuse, ask to speak to their supervisor or owner.

Then, while you're on your cruise, ask around for TA recommendations. You need a new, and better, TA.

Yes, that's correct. ALL bookings are marked "Will accept an upgrade" by default. You need to specifically request that your booking be marked "No upgrade" or "Meta upgrade only." A meta upgrade is from one cabin type to another: inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, balcony to mini-suite. Princess is not very good about notifying passengers of a cabin change. :(

That's why we book directly with Princess as I want to be in control not a middle guy.

BTW Pam, I really appreciate your input here, you are very knowledgeable about Princess, I haven't seen you give bum advice yet.