Photographers on Gangway causing long delays!

Wheels87

Hey gang,

I just read a recent thread talking about photographers in the dining room and it led me to recall my experience on the Dream a few weeks ago. In several ports, there was a huge back-up of folks trying to get off the ship and when we finally got to the gangway, the reason for the delay was obvious...the photographers were stopping people on both sides of the gangway to take pictures. Therefore, those of us who didn't want photos still had to wait behind everyone else. This may sound silly, but sometimes, it took an extra 15 minutes or more to get off the ship.

This really is a ridiculous practice in my opinion and is the type of thing that Carnival needs to address. Just curious what others think about this.

Thanks!

Actually I don't mind the practice. I like having a picture taken at each port. I'm on vacation and not in any hurry. I really don't like the lines getting back on the ship though when it is sweltering hot. Wish you could enter at more than one location all the time.

I understand that some folks like to have their picture taken and have no problem with having their picture taken once they step off the gangway and out of the way, but when others have to stand in line for 15-20 minutes of their vacation so the photographers have a captive audience, that is simply not right.

It's a pet peeve of ours also -- it's rude to the people backing up behind.

On Celebrity photographers set up on the dock. There are plenty of photo opportunities for those that wish to participate, but it's easy for those of us that that don't to walk around them.

Actually I don't mind the practice. I like having a picture taken at each port. I'm on vacation and not in any hurry. I really don't like the lines getting back on the ship though when it is sweltering hot. Wish you could enter at more than one location all the time.

For new cruisers the practice of taking photos at each port is a great way to remember the cruise and for the cruiseline to add to its profits. For someone approaching 20 cruises, the practice is cruel and unusual punishment.

As far as delays returning to the ships, some lines put out canopies, cold drinks and cool towels to shield and comfort cruisers standing in the sun. Don't think I've seen Carnival do this. The delays however, seem to stem from pax not removing hats or sunglasses for ID check, booze smugglers and those not ready to go through metal detectors.

I agree. I love Carnival, and understand they can not treat their guests with the same consideration that Celebrity does on this issue. Given the large price gap between these two lines, Carnival has to squeeze every cent possible from their customers.

The only way I can fight this issue is to refuse to buy any photos on the ship. I will not make an issue out of it, but if I am asked why I will respond that I hate being held in a stockpen like line. Hopefully, someone from Carnival reads these posts and will move the photo station away from the crowded gangway. But if that reduces the photo sales it will never happen

For new cruisers the practice of taking photos at each port is a great way to remember the cruise and for the cruiseline to add to its profits. For someone approaching 20 cruises, the practice is cruel and unusual punishment.

As far as delays returning to the ships, some lines put out canopies, cold drinks and cool towels to shield and comfort cruisers standing in the sun. Don't think I've seen Carnival do this. The delays however, seem to stem from pax not removing hats or sunglasses for ID check, booze smugglers and those not ready to go through metal detectors.

CCL does hand out lemonade and water and towels is some ports....especially the tender ports where the lines really back up (like Grand Cayman). The delays can stem from lots of reasons, like only one door is open on ship instead of both forward and aft doors...and if it is a tender port or not......and the closer to the time of the ship leaving, which brings the heaviest crowds too.

I think re-entry lines are worse than the lines getting off being held up due to photographers. But we agree, RCI and NCL both have their photographers off the gangway and on the dock itself...which is far better for speeding up the lines.

The photographers just off the gangways are just as annoying as those in the dining room. I am trying to get off the ship and do my thing, I don't want yet another picture of myself that I am not going to buy. If they want to have them there that's fine, but it should be off to the side and out of the way to prevent backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Roatan I was in line behind 3 ladies who stopped and had their pictures taken, as a group 3 different ways then each individually! I managed to squeeze past them during this production. They had not a care in the world for who was behind them in line.

Photographers on gangplanks are also doing their thing on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and I'm sure other cruiselines I've haven't cruised on.

We have to realize that these people are just doing their jobs and probably don't want to be standing out in the hot sun, in silly costumes, no more than we want to have them standing there, in our way.

And as long as the cruise line makes money on this ridiculous practice I don't see the cruise line stopping it in the near future.

Edited by lady_cruiser

I agree. I love Carnival,

The only way I can fight this issue is to refuse to buy any photos on the ship. I will not make an issue out of it, but if I am asked why I will respond that I hate being held in a stockpen like line. Hopefully, someone from Carnival reads these posts and will move the photo station away from the crowded gangway.

This. Don't need any pictures. Don't want any pictures. No WAY am I gonna look through THOUSANDS of photos, trying to fine one of me and my wife, on the off chance that it's a spectacular photograph.

I don't understand why they don't find a way to send YOUR PICTURES right to your in-cabin TV, or at the very least, have it so you could look up photos of yourself at a kiosk. Just a swipe of my Cruise Card and they'd have what they need. (And I bet they'd sell a lot more photos if they figured out a way to send everyone THEIR pics.)

We usually stagger our departure from the ship at the various ports so that we miss the crowds. However, the photog's on the gangway are that much hungrier when you get off the ship on your own.

I politely decline their request for us to stop, but if they persist, then I adjust my politeness to the appropriate level based on their aggressiveness. ;)

Seriously, I can't believe some of you are blaming the photographers!

They put in the same kind of effort towards their jobs as the room stewards and the wait staff. Just because we can see & experience direct evidence of some of the staff does not mean that others don't work as hard.

The photographers are there on the same contract as other crew and they have the same kind of working hours and conditions.

Carnival surely knows about the long lines, but they have to maximize their earnings any way they can. The photographers are instructed to try and take as many pictures as they can, they are required to be aggressive. In fact I'm sure, Carnival has some kind of system to calculate how many pictures each photographer is selling (just an assumption on my part). I usually don't stand for pictures when there are long lines but most everywhere else, I do allow them to take a picture. If nothing else, I (& my wife) like to go and hunt for our prints on the wall (fun activity).

Another thing; if Carnival ever decides to lower the price of the prints, we might just buy some. But we are not paying $5 to buy something that costs less than 5¢. If the prints were a $ or $2, we would probably buy at least 4-5 prints, heck maybe even 10 or more.

I just look at it as part of the cruising experience (on Carnival); if it helps keep prices low for everyone, I'll stand as long as they want me too.

Edited by hirent

I wish they weren't directly on the gangway. I actually think the one benefit of tender ports is that they have to have the photo ops farther away.

I love having pictures taken every night. I don't even mind the photographers in the mdr. Sometimes, I'll stop for a picture in a port, but other times, I just want to get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCL does hand out lemonade and water and towels is some ports....especially the tender ports where the lines really back up (like Grand Cayman). The delays can stem from lots of reasons, like only one door is open on ship instead of both forward and aft doors...and if it is a tender port or not......and the closer to the time of the ship leaving, which brings the heaviest crowds too.

I think re-entry lines are worse than the lines getting off being held up due to photographers. But we agree, RCI and NCL both have their photographers off the gangway and on the dock itself...which is far better for speeding up the lines.

Yes, I've been through several cooling stations with Carnival. I remember Belize as one, but there have been others.

This. Don't need any pictures. Don't want any pictures. No WAY am I gonna look through THOUSANDS of photos, trying to fine one of me and my wife, on the off chance that it's a spectacular photograph.

I don't understand why they don't find a way to send YOUR PICTURES right to your in-cabin TV, or at the very least, have it so you could look up photos of yourself at a kiosk. Just a swipe of my Cruise Card and they'd have what they need. (And I bet they'd sell a lot more photos if they figured out a way to send everyone THEIR pics.)

Carnival should do like Disney. Take the picture, scan the persons room card and then when they want to see the punctures they can go to photo area and see the ones they want to buy. I wonder why they never did that. And I am sure disney makes a lot of money. You can also buy disney pictures several days later on the picture website.

The cruise industry as a whole need to update their photography process. Gone are the days where cameras and printing are complicated professional processes. I know 50 people with DSLR Cameras that all think they are professionals cause the cameras do all the work of time photos used to do.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seriously, I can't believe some of you are blaming the photographers!

They put in the same kind of effort towards their jobs as the room stewards and the wait staff. Just because we can see & experience direct evidence of some of the staff does not mean that others don't work as hard.

The photographers are there on the same contract as other crew and they have the same kind of working hours and conditions.

Carnival surely knows about the long lines, but they have to maximize their earnings any way they can. The photographers are instructed to try and take as many pictures as they can, they are required to be aggressive. In fact I'm sure, Carnival has some kind of system to calculate how many pictures each photographer is selling (just an assumption on my part). I usually don't stand for pictures when there are long lines but most everywhere else, I do allow them to take a picture. If nothing else, I (& my wife) like to go and hunt for our prints on the wall (fun activity).

Another thing; if Carnival ever decides to lower the price of the prints, we might just buy some. But we are not paying $5 to buy something that costs less than 5¢. If the prints were a $ or $2, we would probably buy at least 4-5 prints, heck maybe even 10 or more.

I just look at it as part of the cruising experience (on Carnival); if it helps keep prices low for everyone, I'll stand as long as they want me too.

I wasn't blaming the photographers...just the practice of holding up the entire debarkation process. Many times, you can't squeeze through behind the folks stopping for the photos, therefore, there are people lined up in the stairwell up to higher decks because of the photo op. It is truly ridiculous. Allow those who don't want photos to pass by while they take their pictures off to the side.

Thanks!

Thank you for starting a post on this topic. This is a very minor pet peeve of mine. I understand people's needs to get those gangway shots and the photographer and Carnival's need to take them. I tend to get off the ship after the hordes have left, which helps.