Ladies... Do you wear heels to the MDR

When we first started cruising, I loved wearing heels and high strappy sandals at night. As I got older and became uneasy about walking in high heels on a moving ship, I started to lower the height I wore. Now I'm down to 2" heels but at least I feel secure. Wear them while you can. They look fabulous. :)

I remember one specific cruise when we had very rough seas on a scheduled formal night. Captain came on the speaker system and said he was cancelling and rescheduling formal night as he knew many ladies would wear their high heels and he didn't want to risk accidents. :) He was right. Some were going to wear those stillettos no matter the rough seas. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I always wear wedges (or heels occasionally) to the MDR and pretty much the whole time while onboard. Not sure where you heard it's not a good idea. The only time you wouldn't want to is going on an excursion, or milling around outside the ship. What else are you supposed to wear especially on elegant night - tennis shoes?! :eek:

On my very first cruise many years ago, our ship went through really rough seas on the first formal night. I was surprised how many barefooted women I saw carrying their heels. The ship was rocking so much, it was very difficult to walk even in flats.

I have since sailed on over forty cruises and have never seen this happen again. The situation was truly exceptional. Therefore I would say if you wish to wear heels to the MDR, definitely do so. Many other women will be there wearing heels or wedges also.

Just one caveat, if you are on one of the big mega ships, it might be a challenge to walk the long distances in really, really high stiletto heels, purely because of the distance you must walk between venues. I stick with about a two or two and a half inch heel on big ships, just because it is too tiring for me and my rebellious knees to negotiate the long walks in higher heels. It's just not worth it to me to have uncomfortable shoes. I do see women who do it though, mostly much younger women.

I plan on wearing heels on my upcoming cruise in three weeks! I'll also bring a pair of flat shoes to change into if my feet get tired as I don't usually wear heels on a day to day basis, or in case the ship is really a "rock'n & a roll'n".:D

I see ladies wear ridiculous shoes on ships and I wonder how they don't slip and fall..and I have seen others fall on the tile or open decks after a light rain or cleaning. High heels might be ok in most places, but for ships, I would recommend some dressy sandals or lower/wide heeled wedges. Also, women seem to think the ship doesn't rock - you will experience some motion on all ships so it's safer to wear shoes that work for that.

I bring 4 pairs of shoes on every cruise: sport sandals (Tevas) for shore excursions & embarkation day, flipflops (rubber bottomed) for the pool, dressy low heel wedges (black or silver goes with everything) and water shoes for any shore excursions that require them.

You are vacation so be comfy and bring shoes that can go with everything from a gown to your favorite jeans.

Agree with this post! I used to bring my fancy heels bc I never get a chance to wear then at home. But very soon I came to realize that I wear the heels only for a few hours on only two nights of a week+ vacation. Factor in rocking ship, alcohol, and taking up too much room in my luggage, next cruise I am only bringing flats. I used to love heels always bc I am short, but even with 4-5" heels I'm still short! Not fooling anyone! LOL.

Also, if your feet hurt or get blistered from the night before, walking around during excursions the next day will not be fun.

I used to bring heels, and then almost broke my ankle when the ship was a rocking and a rolling the first night of the cruise. Now I wear a blingy low heeled (1-1 1/2") or flat sandal. It's not worth the risk. I save the heels for solid ground.

I fell 4 years ago going from the Solarium into the lobby of the Windjammer one night. No high seas, no wet floor, one second upright, next second on the hard floor.

I was wearing 2.5" skinny heels. It's not the height of the heel, it's the WIDTH. having a wider base under you is important on a ship IMO.

I now wear 2" or less, wide based wedge sandals, or blingy regular flat sandals in the MDR.

I love wearing my heels!

Mine aren't super high, 3 inches max.

I can wear them all night.

Obviously if the weather was bad, and the ship started rocking and rolling, I would definitely change them into something a bit lower, maybe 2 inches.

I see ladies wear ridiculous shoes on ships and I wonder how they don't slip and fall..and I have seen others fall on the tile or open decks after a light rain or cleaning. High heels might be ok in most places, but for ships, I would recommend some dressy sandals or lower/wide heeled wedges. Also, women seem to think the ship doesn't rock - you will experience some motion on all ships so it's safer to wear shoes that work for that.

I bring 4 pairs of shoes on every cruise: sport sandals (Tevas) for shore excursions & embarkation day, flipflops (rubber bottomed) for the pool, dressy low heel wedges (black or silver goes with everything) and water shoes for any shore excursions that require them.

You are vacation so be comfy and bring shoes that can go with everything from a gown to your favorite jeans.

I'm right there with you on the four pairs of shoes. Keep it simple, and remember the floors around the promenade deck can be slippery.

You can wear the shoes of your choice: heels, flats, sandals, tennis shoes. ( no plastic beach flip flops).

On elegant night you see a lot of heels and strappy sandals.

Why would heels be unsafe in the MDR? No different than a nice restaurant.

Well, it is a little different, after all -- or could potentially be -- it's a ship at sea! There could be movement not experienced at land-based restaurants (except perhaps in seismically active areas...) :rolleyes:

Of course I would be sensible in adverse conditions ,but I enjoy wearing heels to compliment an elegant dress....I have taken up to 14 pairs of shoes on a two week cruise !! I have worn heels since I was sixteen years old and still have pretty feet and no foot problems.I would certainly only wear heels to dinner wether at sea or at home ...:)

I wear wedges and heels to the dining room most nights, and I do have some foot issues. I wear the most comfortable ones I can find; wedges are more comfortable and stable than heels.

I'm assuming the advice about no heels is in case of rough seas and/or slippery tiles (which I haven't noticed, but could happen, I guess), or if you have balance issues, perhaps.

At times it is nice to have DH to hand onto, the rare occasions I wear 3 inchers.

I wear heels every night to the MDR and for the rest of the night. I have gone as high as a 5 in heel with a platform. My fav are a pair of 3 1/2 in skinny heel sandal. There has only been one time on a ship where i took my shoes off to go back to the cabin to change to flats the ship was really moving:eek:. I do always take my DH arm on the tile on the ship it is very slippery. Lido deck is never a problem. I say wear what works for you.:)

There are really beautiful wedge sandals on the market these days....In England there is a brand called Moda In Pelle, don't know if they are available in U.S. Retail around the £80-£100 mark, very glam !!! I own three pairs,would usually only wear them with pants.

Yes, you may wear heels, flats, sandals, wedges,......basically

you will see all sorts of shoes.

We all have different comfort zones. I have never owned a 4 inch heel

(even in a wedge) and never plan to.

I do like a wedge though:)...for me. a bit more stable;) and they

make some dressy wedges too:D

Edited by Lois R

• 2 weeks later...

Never! Since I broke my foot and damaged ligaments in my ankle years ago, I cannot wear anything but flats or 1/2 inch heels (kitten heels). It's not hard to find dressy flats. Granted, they don't look as nice as high heels, but they are safer and more comfy for me.

A piece of advice, I wear heels but the tiled floor can be exceptionally slippery! I walk very carefully and try to walk on the carpet where possible!

That's why I leave my high heels at home. I slipped once when I did not notice the change from carpet to stone, could just about hold on to my husband.

Does anybody own Tieks ballerina flats? Are they really as pretty and comfortable as the advertising says?

Edited by Floridiana

That's why I leave my high heels at home. I slipped once when I did not notice the change from carpet to stone, could just about hold on to my husband.

Does anybody own Tieks ballerina flats? Are they really as pretty and comfortable as the advertising says?

My BFF has a pair of Teiks. She says they are a complete waste of money. No arch support at all. For that kind of money really they should have something. It's all just a slick website to try to get people to justify spending that kind of money on some leather flats. She really prefers Toms. They make lots of styles now and in fancier styles. Also no arch support but way way cheaper! I prefer my Puma flats.

Thanks whataboutport,

I guess have to go to Nordstroms to try on a few ballerinas. None of those in the stores around here were comfortable.

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack? I usually have pretty good luck with shoes there. I always see Toms, Tory Burch, and have seen my favorite Pumas there too (although at the outlet store it's even cheaper).