refresh the balcony for $250???

Obviously the fee would not be to recoup what it costs them to do the cleaning, it is more of a punitive thing. If they said the cost would be $5, there would still be smoking on the balcony.

My guess is they would have the room steward wipe EVERYTHING on the balcony down. Railings, floor, seats, tables, the roof, the glass on the door, the sides of the balcony and the porch light.

Look, I smoke, and have done E Cigs, but get over this smoking thing on balconies. It's here to stay, and I can assure you that NCL will be next to follow it.

I smoke much less on cruises, and that's a good thing. I just go where they allow it, but I do have a trick for when I need to have a puff in the cabin, but I'm not tellin' how to do it without being discovered by staff! :D

if we smoke on our balcony it will cost us $250 to refresh balcony.. What would that detail? We don't smoke and never have in our room.. I understand the rule but 250 $for refreshing the balcony seems quite crazy..

I think the $250 is to clean and freshen up the cabin since some, not all, smokers leave their balcony doors open and the smoke drifts in.

Before Royal Caribbean banned smoking earlier this year we had a cabin that reeked of stale cigarette smoke. Everything from the sofa to the bed spread to the bathroom stunk. Our cabin attendant told us that the week before she had a heavy smoker that left the balcony door open and the smoke would drift in.

I don't know how she did it but by the time we came to our cabin that afternoon our cabin had a fresh, smoke-free smell to it.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Look, I smoke, and have done E Cigs, but get over this smoking thing on balconies. It's here to stay, and I can assure you that NCL will be next to follow it.

I smoke much less on cruises, and that's a good thing. I just go where they allow it, but I do have a trick for when I need to have a puff in the cabin, but I'm not tellin' how to do it without being discovered by staff! :D

I bet you do the same thing I do...use my e-Cig!:D

I think cigars are way worse than cigarette smoke, as well as cigar smokers are way less considerate (generally speaking) than cigarette smokers. Of course from MY experience.

I would rather smell cigar smoke or pipe smoke over cigarette smoke.

The security cameras that monitor all the outside cabins will tape anyone thinking they can get away with sneaking a toke.

Are you kidding? Cameras are not placed to look at each balcony on a cruise ship. If that was the case, the internet would be full of cruisers getting action on their balconies. There would be companies paying cruise ship security people big money to get ahold of these tapes. While there are cameras that scan the outside of the ship in case someone falls overboard, they are not pointed at each balcony on the ship. People may get caught smoking, but it will be because a passenger in the next cabin complained about them, it will not be on camera

Is it ok for me to tell you that I love you?

I won't get into this debate because I don't feel like being battered anymore than I have been in the last 24 hours but did want to give you kudos!

if we smoke on our balcony it will cost us $250 to refresh balcony.. What would that detail? We don't smoke and never have in our room.. I understand the rule but 250 $for refreshing the balcony seems quite crazy..

It's just a nice way of saying Carnival will "fine" you $250.00. The concept is simple. A very small minority of people want to smoke, and a huge majority of people do not want to smell it. Majority rules!

Do you think they actually do any "Cleaning" or "refreshing" or just charge the $250?

Trust me, security does not use the ship side cameras to enforce smoking policy. Not from what I smelled on the Non-Smoking Deck 11 Spa Balconies on the Splendor just a few days ago. They were smoking and it wasn't Marlboro from the smell for at least a half hour and not just one day.

Tell you what, I would pay the 250.00 up front to book a smoking cabin. It's called getting what I want, not what you want. Why don't they just charge you 250.00 when you book and you get asked if you want a smoking cabin or not. It's called Freedom to choose. Although every knows that freedom isn't free.:o

I have mentioned this on another thread - rules are rules. So, start enforcing the MDR dress code, the "chair hogs" and underage people in the Serenity area or any adult only areas.

;)

Edited by SIENA6334

The security cameras that monitor all the outside cabins will tape anyone thinking they can get away with sneaking a toke.

If you can't see a security camera, it can't see you.

And being outside, if your neighbors get a whiff, they can't tell where it's coming from. For all they now, it could be coming off the Lido deck. Everyone enjoy their cigs.

Edited by TPFKAH

Do you think they actually do any "Cleaning" or "refreshing" or just charge the $250?

Trust me, security does not use the ship side cameras to enforce smoking policy. Not from what I smelled on the Non-Smoking Deck 11 Spa Balconies on the Splendor just a few days ago. They were smoking and it wasn't Marlboro from the smell for at least a half hour and not just one day.

No one even monitors them, as we find out after every jumper. So now it's FTTS.

People will still be smoking on their balconies, but will be sneaky about it.

They thought they were being sneaky on the Star Princess on our cruise to Hawaii. When security showed up at their door - in the words of Gomer Pyle - SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Princess made $250 off of that sneaky stunt. :D