Texting while on cruise ???

Daniel1313

On an upcoming cruise I need to be able to at least if possible keep in touch with work by text messages. Don't need to talk. Is it possible to receive texts while at sea? I have an I phone. How do I set my phone so I only receive texts and not phone calls? I read something about texts costing .50 cents.

Thanks

The answer is, "Yes, but it depends." You will have to purchase an Internet plan to use the WiFi. If the other person is using an iPhone, you will text using iMessage and there's no cost. If not, then free or $.10 to receive, $.50 to send. Make sure you set up global messaging before leaving home.

WiFi is never guaranteed as it'll depend on where the ship is sailing, weather, etc.

Turn off all data. And then just let your phone connect to the ships cell tower. You will receive calls and text. There is no way to separate those two. However it is easy to not be charged for calls. Just don't answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The answer is, "Yes, but it depends." You will have to purchase an Internet plan to use the WiFi. If the other person is using an iPhone, you will text using iMessage and there's no cost. If not, then free or $.10 to receive, $.50 to send. Make sure you set up global messaging before leaving home.

WiFi is never guaranteed as it'll depend on where the ship is sailing, weather, etc.

Thanks Pam.... What is the global messaging? I have verizon as my cell phone carrier.

Thanks Pam.... What is the global messaging? I have verizon as my cell phone carrier.

Pam, one more question. If I use my phone for texting, does it stop the internet counter for my time by just turning off wi-fi? I know when using lap top u need to type in log out to stop the internet time counter.

Thanks again Pam!!!

You could just do the simple thing and keep the phone switched off and turn it on once daily at a designated time to receive any text messages.

You would hope your work is going to pay you for any time wasted on them on your holiday though.

You can turn on your iPhone to send/receive messages and then turn it off. This can be done as many times/day as appropriate. Do keep data transfer off the entire time or pay big bucks. Verizon charges to receive text messages as well as send.

When you are signed into the ship WiFi the time counts until you log off. It does not make any difference what electronics is being used such as tablet, computer, cell phone. Logging off is a conscious activity.

Basically you need to call Verizon and "enable" international messaging for you (it doesn't cost anything to enable it - cell phone providers disable it for U.S. customers by default to minimize financial impact if someone's phone is stolen).

Make sure you turn off data on your phone so it doesn't try to download all your email while you're trying to send that text message...

...You will have to purchase an Internet plan to use the WiFi...

I am wondering about non-data cell usage on my upcoming coastal. How do traditional cell calls and texts work on Princess? Is there a separate plan for this while at sea using the ship's cell "tower"? I don't expect to use internet or WiFi while on board (I am trying to unplug as much as possible on this trip).

I have AT&T, and they say my phone should work on land in Baja and Catalina, but we have a full sea day and might want to use it then.

Thanks in advance!

I am wondering about non-data cell usage on my upcoming coastal. How do traditional cell calls and texts work on Princess? Is there a separate plan for this while at sea using the ship's cell "tower"? I don't expect to use internet or WiFi while on board (I am trying to unplug as much as possible on this trip).

I have AT&T, and they say my phone should work on land in Baja and Catalina, but we have a full sea day and might want to use it then.

Thanks in advance!

No special plan. You will just be charged by AT&T, to your normal cell bill, at the exorbitant "at sea" rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On an upcoming cruise I need to be able to at least if possible keep in touch with work by text messages. Don't need to talk. Is it possible to receive texts while at sea? I have an I phone. How do I set my phone so I only receive texts and not phone calls? I read something about texts costing .50 cents.

Thanks

I would recommend that you tell your work to only use email to communicate with you. That way you will totally be within the ship's system for your web based email, including a confirmation you are logged off at the end of the session. Make sure you provide them with a web based email address, and not the one normally used behind firewalls at work.

It is your vacation - work should accommodate whatever you set up for communication, if it is really important. If it is not important then they should respect your boundaries. JMHO.

Thanks

Yes, just turn off cell data so you wont have any additionl charges, and you will still be able to receive text for free and like you said .50 to send. This is the best way. You can also make and receive calls at the going rate.

I have AT&T and sometimes purchase 200 text for a month @ $30.

It is your vacation - work should accommodate whatever you set up for communication, if it is really important. If it is not important then they should respect your boundaries. JMHO.

Spoken like an employee, not a business owner.

Only way DH CAN take vacations is to be connected to the office for an hour a day. Much better than the 15 he normally works.

AT&T has some international plans available.

Edited by SadieN

I am doing a 12 day British Isles cruise with 5 days before in London and Paris. I called Verizon and updated my plan to one of their "Share everything" plans where sending texts to an international phone is free. I also added to the plan a feature that allows me to send and receive international texts for free. That costs $5 per phone per month, but they were offering a 3 month free trial, so I signed up and can cancel it when I get back. Voice calls are not included and are not cheap. You do need a global ready phone, but most i-phones and androids will work. Call Verizon and ask about it.

It is possible to disable receiving calls but still be able to send and receive text messages.

Simply go into your phones settings before you leave your carrier's service area and choose "divert all [voice] calls". Then as others say, make sure data roaming is turned off.

If you then choose to use the wifi onboard you can do so without disrupting these settings.

The call prices are set by your carrier and remember the prices will probably be more expensive when the phone is using "MCP" than when it connects to a land based carrier.

That said however I always end up sending about a dozen or so texts a day when I'm at sea and it never costs a great deal. However, sending and receiving texts can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they'll go straight away and sometimes the delay is significant! So do not rely on it 100%.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, just turn off cell data so you wont have any additionl charges, and you will still be able to receive text for free and like you said .50 to send. This is the best way. You can also make and receive calls at the going rate.

I have AT&T and sometimes purchase 200 text for a month @ $30.

Be aware that those pre-purchased text plans from AT&T are for use in countries in which AT&T has an agreement (current list available from AT&T's web-site) and are not valid on Princess ships. You will still be charged 50 cents for sending texts on the ship regardless of any AT&T plan you purchase. Receiving texts on AT&T are free. I know this first-hand.

Even if you choose not to answer your phone there is a good chance your voice mail will pick up the call after a certain number of rings and consider the call "completed" right?

That would be my guess & with my plan it's $2.49 per minute. I put my phone in "airplane" mode & activate Wi-Fi to access the internet. I have never used texting but if I did would contact my provider before my cruise to ask them questions about the procedure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Be aware that those pre-purchased text plans from AT&T are for use in countries in which AT&T has an agreement (current list available from AT&T's web-site) and are not valid on Princess ships. You will still be charged 50 cents for sending texts on the ship regardless of any AT&T plan you purchase. Receiving texts on AT&T are free. I know this first-hand.

This is absolutely correct for AT&T while on the Princess ships. You can still receive the texts for free but each text sent is the 50 cents.

Another option to consider: I too have Verizon and while on the Ruby TA and BI cruises April-June instead of using the phone on the ship, I used a computer to for texting. It's available through your online Verizon account and called Verizon Messages. I found it was easier to log in and out of the ship Wi-Fi service using a computer than the phone. (I screwed up on the 1st cruise, didn't log out correctly w/the phone and even though it was turned off, I blew through a whole big bunch of time.) If you aren't taking your own computer you can always use one in the Internet Café.

Another option to consider: I too have Verizon and while on the Ruby TA and BI cruises April-June instead of using the phone on the ship, I used a computer to for texting. It's available through your online Verizon account and called Verizon Messages. I found it was easier to log in and out of the ship Wi-Fi service using a computer than the phone. (I screwed up on the 1st cruise, didn't log out correctly w/the phone and even though it was turned off, I blew through a whole big bunch of time.) If you aren't taking your own computer you can always use one in the Internet Café.

Thanks I will have to check into this !!!!

Thanks

Enjoy your Cruise and Leave work at home If they can not get along without you than don't go

I used it (texting plan) all over Europe last year and never worried about being in a country that had different texting rates. I was told that about the voice plans but not texting and never had an issue or an additional charge.

Forgot to add the .50 charge for texting while onboard and free to receive.

Yes its not free with the ships cell service.