Crab Shack on Star Princess = NOT TWICE

EdmPair

Added note: I was just looking for one of those crackers with snips online and couldn't find one. I might have to search one out and buy it for future trips!! LOL.

Check out Amazon for Trudeau Seafood Shears. We bought some after returning from a cruise and love them.

Mike:)

Interesting. Sorry you were disappointed. I had Crab Shack on the same ship, Star Princess, in December and it was exceptionally good. Everything about it was good. (SNIP)

Added note: I was just looking for one of those crackers with snips online and couldn't find one. I might have to search one out and buy it for future trips!! LOL.

We are now off the ship and into free WiFi. The hospitality does dry up a bit the last morning. The provided cutters / crushers worked. I was more surprised the staff did not automatically give seafood forks nor seem to know what I was asking for. The clippers had the brand name Paderno and that may help you track down some to buy.

Also relevant is that Princess credited the up charge for us. I was not saying you should not try the Crab Shack but you need to ask some questions if booking.

I've noticed that the Crab Shack has been frequently discussed however very little discussion about Fondues...wonder if that means not many people go to it. Like the Crab Shack it also cost $20 & is in a section of the buffet area on some nights. I haven't tried either one however plan to try the Crab Shack but not interested in Fondues.
The Crab Shack has been rolled out from the Royal/Regal to many Princess ships but I believe Fondues is only on the Royal/Regal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Crab Shack has been rolled out from the Royal/Regal to many Princess ships but I believe Fondues is only on the Royal/Regal.

I'd love to see this rolled out to other ships as well! I spent many winters and summers in Switzerland, where they have fabulous fondue and raclette. I miss it!

We very much enjoyed most of our Crab Shack meal on the Grand and will probably try again on the Regal in September or the Crown in October. The shrimp that came with the hush puppies were perfectly breaded and cooked and the clam chowder was good. Our crab legs were split for easy access but we also had the proper utensils. The peel and eat shrimp were a great disappoint as they were overlooked and tough. Others that ate there later that night did not have that issue so who knows. We were served more crab legs so we were happy and full. We were not brought a dessert menu but just items on a cart. Later in the evening, I stopped by the HC and they were the same desserts as at the Crab Shack. You will probably get different dessert offerings on different nights. Fortunately, our night was a night they were serving the chocolate pecan pie in the HC :)

Edited by IECalCruiser

Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't like crab.

I also don't really want to "work" for my shrimp by having to peel them. I like my shrimp cooked with garlic and lime and maybe a bit of cayenne.

I'll have to pass on the Crab Shack. It's great that so many other people seem to love it though. It would be a sad thing if everybody was the same.

I enjoy shell fish but I don't like working for my food either. When I'm hungry, I'm not trying to peel, crack or pry anything open just to get a scrap of meat. All that work needs to be done by the chef. As far as the Hush puppies go I have only had them at Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips which is the McDonald's of seafood. I haven't been there since I was a kid during the 70's. I didn't like them then as they were as dry as dust and hard as a rock. I can't imagine that I would like them any better on Princess.

I enjoy shell fish but I don't like working for my food either. When I'm hungry, I'm not trying to peel, crack or pry anything open just to get a scrap of meat. All that work needs to be done by the chef. As far as the Hush puppies go I have only had them at Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips which is the McDonald's of seafood. I haven't been there since I was a kid during the 70's. I didn't like them then as they were as dry as dust and hard as a rock. I can't imagine that I would like them any better on Princess.

Well, when hush puppies are done properly, they're very good. :)

We waited and waited for our meal. It was an hour and a half wait between when we ate our soup and we got our main course. There were a number of people that came and sat down after us, that we're finished with their meal before we even received ours. We did not order anything special either. We were on the Royal.

We also had sub par service in the crown grill. We always eat there at least twice on every cruise. I am not hard to please at all, but a 3 hour meal is a little ridiculous....

We waited and waited for our meal. It was an hour and a half wait between when we ate our soup and we got our main course. There were a number of people that came and sat down after us, that we're finished with their meal before we even received ours. We did not order anything special either. We were on the Royal.

We also had sub par service in the crown grill. We always eat there at least twice on every cruise. I am not hard to please at all, but a 3 hour meal is a little ridiculous....

If others were served much more quickly the you, it appears that the issue was with your server. How was your food?

We very much enjoyed most of our Crab Shack meal on the Grand and will probably try again on the Regal in September or the Crown in October. The shrimp that came with the hush puppies were perfectly breaded and cooked and the clam chowder was good. Our crab legs were split for easy access but we also had the proper utensils. The peel and eat shrimp were a great disappoint as they were overlooked and tough. Others that ate there later that night did not have that issue so who knows. We were served more crab legs so we were happy and full. We were not brought a dessert menu but just items on a cart. Later in the evening, I stopped by the HC and they were the same desserts as at the Crab Shack. You will probably get different dessert offerings on different nights. Fortunately, our night was a night they were serving the chocolate pecan pie in the HC :)

I like most of Princess's desserts but their pecan pie has go to be the worst I've ever had. The consistently overcook it so that it's like a hard nut bar with little or no flavor.

I like most of Princess's desserts but their pecan pie has go to be the worst I've ever had. The consistently overcook it so that it's like a hard nut bar with little or no flavor.
I am not a fan of most of the Princess cakes and pies. On the night we had our Crab a Shack on the Grand, the chocolate pecan pie was very tasty and a very good way to finish off a Southerned themed meal :)

Edited by IECalCruiser

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I even have an Amazon gift card. I'll be checking them out. I'm glad I mentioned it.

It's the Trudeau Stainless Steel Seafood Shears. $17.99 We love them and can't imagine having crab or lobster without them.

Mike:)

I am not a fan of most of the Princess cakes and pies. On the night we had our Crab a Shack on the Grand, the chocolate pecan pie was very tasty and a very good way to finish off a Southerned themed meal :)

I'm sorry I missed out on that one. ;) After trying it many times & not liking it I can pretty much just look at it to see if it's dry or not. (Which it usually is)

Occasionally their Key lime pie is passable although they do like to add their whipped cream on top that can be scrapped off.

Nobody likes to "play" with their food as much as I do and I've been known to eat piles of crab and lobster at one sitting but all of the fried and breaded options on the menu really put me off. We haven't tried the Crab Shack and don't see it in our future.

If others were served much more quickly the you, it appears that the issue was with your server. How was your food?

Nothing special.... We both got the crab legs and corn and potatoes. It came in one bucket for both of us. I think we each had only one cluster of crab legs. Probably could have ordered another bucket, but did not want another bad enough to wait another hour and a half.

I'm sorry the OP had a terrible experience/value for the $.

FWIW, why do people eat bottom dwelling bugs? If you saw a roach climb out toxic waste drum is your first instinct to toss it in your mouth? Prolly not.

What does everyone think that lobsters/crabs/shrimp are? They're the ocean's cockroaches!

That little PSA outta the way, I'm sorry that the OP had a terrible experience.

Derek

I'm sorry the OP had a terrible experience/value for the $.

FWIW, why do people eat bottom dwelling bugs? If you saw a roach climb out toxic waste drum is your first instinct to toss it in your mouth? Prolly not.

What does everyone think that lobsters/crabs/shrimp are? They're the ocean's cockroaches!

That little PSA outta the way, I'm sorry that the OP had a terrible experience.

Derek

Can you imagine how brave the person had to be to decide to eat a lobster/crab for the first time? :eek::D