Did You, Are You Change Cruise Lines?

sail7seas

I quit smoking a year ago so I wouldn't change cruise lines, however, my hubby smokes cigars. I asked if he wanted to change but he said no, he will just smoke in the designated areas. It was no big deal. So, we will continue to cruise with Carnival. :)

Hi all,

I'm sorry to barge into your board but hope you don't mind. :o

I asked a question on the HAL forum and it was suggested I ask it here and NCL forums, as well.

I know we've all had threads about smoking and many are tired of them but I have a question we had not had asked or answered, so far as I know, until I asked it today?

Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines?

"Don't shoot me but I'm really interested and, therefore, asking.....

Have you or are you planning to switch to HAL because you can no longer smoke on your favorite cruise line's verandah?

Have you or are you planning to switch cruise lines because you do not like that HAL continues to permit smoking on verandahs?

Do you have friends or family who are doing one or the other?"

Thanks."

Of course, the question here is If you book verandah cabins and you are a smoker, will you begin to sail HAL as one of the few remaining cruise lines that permits smoking on verandahs?

I think that most people see HAL as a cruise line for very mature people. I doubt that a smoking policy will change that.

Most of the smokers complaining on this board seem to be saying they will choose a land-based vacation rather than another cruise line since the other cruise lines seem to be following Carnival's lead on the smoking policy change.

Edited by winddawn

I've booked a lot of cruises for intineraries and ease of reaching the port but I don't believe I've ever booked a cruise for for the age of the fellow passengers. I don't really care who else is on the cruise.

I'll continue to sail on Carnival, and Royal although they have limited the areas you can smoke (cigars). I can still smoke on deck, and in port, so its no big deal to me to not to be able to smoke on the balcony.

I am loyal to Royal, but I enjoyed sailing with Carnival also. I'm a laid back cruiser and like the atmosphere on Royal Caribbean. When my wife and I sailed on Carnival, we were exhausted. Carnival cruisers start partying before the ship leaves the dock and I think some of you were still partying when we returned to Miami. I go on vacation to relax, you all get on the ship to let your hair down. Happy cruising.

We are not married to any cruise line and have a good time on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. Later this year we will cruise on the new Getaway our first NCL cruise. We are both going to retire soon so it will give us more time to cruise.

Shari & John

I think that most people see HAL as a cruise line for very mature people. I doubt that a smoking policy will change that.

Most of the smokers complaining on this board seem to be saying they will choose a land-based vacation rather than another cruise line since the other cruise lines seem to be following Carnival's lead on the smoking policy change.

Yes, our Aug Magic cruise will be our last with Carnival.

Our corporate functions has been using RCCL & Carnival (50+ cabins, 130+ people) every summer.

We're now switching to land-based vacations/top-producers reward trips to smoke friendly locales like Vegas, Miami, etc...

Our top guys & vendors do like to drink & smoke cigars to celebrate while on these trips...

Of course, the question here is If you book verandah cabins and you are a smoker, will you begin to sail HAL as one of the few remaining cruise lines that permits smoking on verandahs?

Carnival fell dramatically on my list of favorite cruise lines a long time ago. I've been bothered by balcony smokers on a lot of cruise lines, but it always seemed worst on Carnival - like there were so many more smokers. This ban is a step in the right direction, but before Carnival becomes a more favored cruise line for me, they need to up their entertainment and improve their passenger/space ratios.

I quit smoking about 7 years ago, however my husband has not! We actually had a cruise booked on the Dream for Nov 2 and canceled because of the new policy. We were looking at sailing on the HAL but decided to just change our Carnival cruise to the begininnig of Oct prior to the smoking policy change. That gives me a year to get him to quit :D

I am (was) a smoker and definitely did not cancel my cruise nor will I change to another cruise line. For the most part, I can only cruise once per year and Carnival has always gave me the best value. We have always booked a balcony and will continue to do so. Since the policy change I have started using an E-cig to help me quit smoking. No carcinogens, no second hand smoke, no odor. I do wish they would allow them on the balcony so I am not forced to be in somewhat limited areas with cigarette smoke. Does not seem quite fair and it would be nice to meet the E-cig users half way and not totally cater to the non-smokers. Just a thought!!:o

I am not a smoker, but DH is (but a very light smoker). I told him the news and he said "no big deal". He will just go to areas where he can smoke.

He'll also bring e-cig and use discreetly:D:p;).

I won't leave just because of the new rulings, but I'll not waste money for a balcony. The non smokers can pay for them. As far as loyalty, why be loyal ? If all lines don't permit smoking either, we can try other lines without guilt.:)

Most likely I'll cruise Carnival again. For the life of me I don't know why. I find the cutbacks to have really diminished my cruise experience. But I won't rent a balcony anymore, so I'll be spending less.

I still think the ships ought to go gluten free to reflect the new trends, and I never understand why our gratuities go to Suzy at the Purser's Desk and not Carlos, the security guy who picks up your mother and discretely returns her to her cabin or prevents your child from diving into the splash zone.

Besides, if I need a tobacco nicotine "fix", I know how to smoke in my cabin without ever being detected, but I'm not telling the secret!

Usually enjoy your posts, Lou – but I'm disappointed to read this. Unfortunately, this is the type of statement that just gives us non-smokers ammo. It just goes to show that some smokers – not all, mind you – think they're above the rules.

I would never switch because of this. Honestly, coming from Canada, its shocking that there are still areas where you can smoke inside. Crazy i say! Up north, one cannot even smoke within a fair distance from any vent, air intake, or entrance into a building.

Edited by phje

Well if we have three future cruises booked in the next ten months, one might think we would still be here.

And why can't non Carnival people check on these boards to find out what is up?