Am I crazy?

ddoc

Husband diagnosed with cancer in June. Had his operation and has recovered very well. I used up all of my vacation going to the hospital and

with doctor's visits. Yesterday, (my day off) spent the whole day getting the schedule for his chemo and radiation all set-up. He'll do 3 weeks on and 1 week off. So at Labor Day, (his off week)there's a 4 night cruise very inexpensive, we can drive to it and I'll only lose 1 day's pay.

Am I crazy saying this will do both of us good? That we can both just relax and forget the cancer for a little while, or am I being selfish?

I would say it would be how he feels more then anything. When a family member of mine had their week off...it was like they couldn't move- didn't want to move- wanted to just lay down to recover from the radiation/chemo during the on weeks. I guess it depends on his body reacts to the treatments.

Why would that be selfish??

IF he thinks he'll be up to it then it may very well be a wonderful relaxing time for you both.

IF he is not up to it then it might be a very relaxing time just for you and a friend. I know that dealing with cancer can be quite stressful both for the person that has it and for their family. Everyone needs time off for stress relief so not selfish at all!

Husband diagnosed with cancer in June. Had his operation and has recovered very well. I used up all of my vacation going to the hospital and

with doctor's visits. Yesterday, (my day off) spent the whole day getting the schedule for his chemo and radiation all set-up. He'll do 3 weeks on and 1 week off. So at Labor Day, (his off week)there's a 4 night cruise very inexpensive, we can drive to it and I'll only lose 1 day's pay.

Am I crazy saying this will do both of us good? That we can both just relax and forget the cancer for a little while, or am I being selfish?

As long as the both of you really want to go and DH is feeling up to it. That's all the reason you need to go.

Enjoy and I wish the both of you well.:)

My brother did really well with his chemo with no problems. Then his white blood count dropped and he was sicker than a dog. If he had not been near a hospital he would have died. He is totally clear now and doing great. I would ask the doctor if it is safe to go away. Insurance will not cover you if you have to cancel. So sorry to say this but he'll be over all this shortly and it is probably best to wait.

Edited by getupgo

Even "gentle" chemo can be rough. However, if it is only his first cycle, he may be up to travel.

I know that when I was undergoing chemo, I had some of the toughest drugs around in my regimen. However, the weekend before my fourth and last chemo and with two weeks to recover from my last cycle, my husband and I took a long weekend away.

I couldn't do much, but it was one of the best things I could have done and helped me get through the last chemo.

If his doctor's approve, and he wants to go, you could book the cruise. However, be warned that some of the side effects of Gemzar that he may experience might not leave him up for a cruise and you may have to cancel.

Cruise insurance probably would not cover you for cancellation at this point.

My princess cruise in 2008 was with my grandmother, she had lung cancer. We picked it because that cruise sailed out of Brooklyn which was easier to get to then Manhattan because she lived in Long Island she had her treatment the day befor we left and the first 2 days she spent mostly in the cabin, resting and she came down for dinner. She did go to all the ports and then slept when we got back on the ship. She went to the lido for dinner if she didn't feel up to a 2 hour feast in the MDR it was our first and only cruise together (she was an advid cruiser, platinum on NCL, but left her favorite grand girl at home cause she went mostly when school was in session) and it is one of my favorite vacations spent with her. I have great picture and memories. I think if he feels up to it you should do it.

I think there are insure and cancel for any reason plans. They cost more but may not be too bad for this shorter cruise.

Talk to his doctor with him...joke about your being the one that nudges for vacations and he is the super responsible work all the time one...if he enjoys the trips once he gets there..and the doctor thinks it is ok when you have it planned and you can get the insurance or forfeit the cost...and especially if you can be insured for evac needs.....I say go for it...it may get you both through..or he may be ok with you taking a mental break..if you are reasonably secure he will be ok while you are gone. Sometimes the patient can't say..they need some alone time too...

We all hovered around my mom and she wanted it on her illness and passing..dad has already said he wants us around but not that much...LOL..you really can't know until you are there...you are most certainly not selfish to want to get some balance..prayers and good luck...Sarah

You are not crazy at all. There's no point in stopping living while your husband goes through this difficult time.

If you can afford it, go for the balcony room. Then you and your husband can sit on the balcony as much as you want for the 4 days. I find the ocean extremely calming. It will be a great way for you to relax and for him to recuperate and get strong for the next round of treatment. Go and enjoy!

We're currently in a similar situation here. My wife has finished 3 of her 4 chemo treatments which will be followed by 5 to 6 weeks of radiation.

I'm sure there is a wide variation of how people react to these drugs....her chemo drug was also described as very mild by the Oncologist. She gets the treatment on a Friday....followed up with a white blood cell immunity-booster shot on Monday. Then she waits 3 weeks to repeat. For about a week following her chemo she's very very tired and though hungry she eats almost nothing because she says everything tastes bad. The first time she had that immunity booster shot it made her extremely achy for a couple or 3 days....but the last 2 shots haven't been as bad. They also gave her benedryl with the first chemo treatment and that amplified her fatigue.

After that difficult first week is up she feels pretty good for 2 weeks until its time for the next treatment. We were thinking about booking a cruise during one of those weeks when she felt good but to play it safe we're going to wait till late November or December after all the chemo and radiation treatments are done and she should be feeling stronger and have a good appetite.

You should talk things over with your Oncologist. Since this will be your husbands first chemo you don't know exactly how he's going to react to the drugs. If the cruise is in the days immediately following the chemo treatment that might be a rough cruise. If its a week or more after the treatment it might be ok. Talk it through....hope he breezes through his treatments with no problems. And if you cruise....have a great time!

My biggest concern would be his immune system. My nephew wasn't allowed to be in crowds after several of his treatments because of low white blood count, even with the shots to boost his immune system. He was confined to home a couple of times. So I would check with his doctor and, if he okays the cruise, I would do whatever your DH is comfortable doing. Hope all goes well and you are soon back to cruising at will :)

Absolutely not crazy, if it were me I'd want to go.

If you book this cruise, make sure you get the cancel for any reason trip insurance. Neither you nor your husband have any idea how he's going to be feeling after his ordeal. Getting away from it all and taking it easy sounds like a great idea, but what if he just doesn't have the stamina to travel? Wishing you both well, and for a speedy recovery for your husband.

If you try for insurance, make sure you check the pre-existing conditions clause. Because your husband will have been in active treatment for his cancer (the operation and chemo will count), the pre-existing condition may void any cancellation policy.

I know this was something we had to check into very carefully when we booked

in January for a cruise in October. My chemo was finished in February which gave me a little over 7 months before the cruise. The pre-existing condition clause would have voided the cancel for any reason if I cancelled due to a cancer related problem and I had had active treatment (i.e.,chemo, radiation, etc) within the 6 months before the cruise.

All the insurance policies had this exemption except for several that would have cost as much as the cruise.

I cancelled a cruise two years ago because I was scheduled to finish chemo just a few days before our scheduled cruise and I was very worried about low white cell counts at that point in my chemo cycle. So we put it off and took the cruise a couple weeks after the end of radiation. I was still pretty tired, but enjoyed a quiet cruise. It was a great excuse to splurge on a balcony so we could have a quiet place to enjoy.

You will definitely want medical advice on this question. If the chance of scary side effects from the recent chemo are not an issue, and if being in crowds is okay, then go and have a great time. I know how much you both need a break!