Sick bay: prescriptions?

Seago2

Just wondering- if a passenger was to need medication, does the ship doctor prescribe it and is there a basic amount of medication on board? For example, say a child was to come down with probable strep throat. Does the ship doctor have antibiotics on board?

Thanks in advance-

Just wondering- if a passenger was to need medication, does the ship doctor prescribe it and is there a basic amount of medication on board? For example, say a child was to come down with probable strep throat. Does the ship doctor have antibiotics on board?

Thanks in advance-

Yes, for a fee. Think of the medical center as an urgent care facility (not a full emergency room).

Thanks in advance-

Don't bet on it.

If you are prone to infections (strep, ear, bladder, etc) you can ask your regular physician if he/she will prescribe you some antibiotics just in case. Depending on the physician and infection, they might.

I had three different antibiotics prescribed on the World Voyage. I heard they eventually ran out of antibiotics and some other drugs and could only restock when we were back at the home port.

I did have a couple of antibiotics with me but, of course, I did not get the infections they were for.

Thanks for your responses. My hypothetical is not entirely hypothetical- my 16 year old says his "tongue hurts" and if you can believe it I'm actually forcing him to go to the pediatrician tomorrow. We sail in 7 days. I'm sure it's not strep but I'm not taking any chances- I'm counting on this vacay! That got me thinking about what sick bay had on hand.

Thank you!

Think of the ship's medical as a small emergency room.

I got the beginnings of Pink Eye on our last Princess cruise. (Amazing since there were only 12 kids onboard.)

Doctor did a very good eye exam, gave me an antibiotic eye ointment and sent me on my way. Total bill was just over $100.

Thanks for your responses. My hypothetical is not entirely hypothetical- my 16 year old says his "tongue hurts" and if you can believe it I'm actually forcing him to go to the pediatrician tomorrow. We sail in 7 days. I'm sure it's not strep but I'm not taking any chances- I'm counting on this vacay! That got me thinking about what sick bay had on hand.

Thank you!

Maybe it's allergies/post nasal drip? The 'drip' and throat lining are different PH levels, hence the raw throat. Voice of Experience from a kid who used to be prescribed a quart of Benedryl every spring. Now I use generic zyrtec and mucinex.

In any event hope he heals soon! If the DR will prescribe a JIC case get it. Never know when it will be needed.

There are limited amounts of selected medications on board. It is not a full pharmacy and anyone who suspects they will need a particular Rx during their cruise should bring their own supply with them.

I have heard of ship's doctors writing Rx and guest (trying) to have it filled in upcoming port. That probably is of variable success.

Maybe it's allergies/post nasal drip? The 'drip' and throat lining are different PH levels, hence the raw throat. Voice of Experience from a kid who used to be prescribed a quart of Benedryl every spring. Now I use generic zyrtec and mucinex.

In any event hope he heals soon! If the DR will prescribe a JIC case get it. Never know when it will be needed.

Thanks, his tongue looks a little white, too. Not thrush-level white by any means. He's probably not getting enough vitamin C or something- then again, maybe it's strep! Best to find out now.

Thanks, his tongue looks a little white, too. Not thrush-level white by any means. He's probably not getting enough vitamin C or something- then again, maybe it's strep! Best to find out now.

You're right. The last thing you need is to have your son running a fever the day before you sail. If he has an infection your doctor can treat it now rather than after it worsens later.

One can never count on a ship's pharmacy to have specific medications. The best preparation is to have what is needed before leaving home and to carry it with you.

We have gotten an antibiotic on a ship when my grandson was sick.

By the way your travel insurance will reimburse you for the visit and the medicine.

I'm a Sr. Citizen and the only time I came down with strep was while a patient in a long-term care facility. In other words, if you aren't sick when you go in the hospital, you will be before you come out.

We have gotten an antibiotic on a ship when my grandson was sick.

By the way your travel insurance will reimburse you for the visit and the medicine.

DH came down with a sinus infection on one cruise. He received a prescription antibiotic. We had to file with his primary insurance first. The travel insurance covered what was not covered by it.

Edited by geoherb

Yeah they run everything you need

Fantastic pharmacy

Don't know if they will accept an outside prescription without seeing you first as is not under and health system that links elsewhere

But you will be able to get most medications

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH came down with a sinus infection on one cruise. He received a prescription antibiotic. We had to file with his primary insurance first. The travel insurance covered what was not covered by it.

That's interesting. We did not have to file with the primary first...just filed the claim with the travel insurance and they paid the full amount.

Edited by Marie51

The ship medical facilities will have persecution medicine for problems seen on ship. They will not have drugs for maintenance problems like high blood pressure

Not necessarily true. I did something really stupid and forget my HBP medication on a cruise several years ago. Went to the medical center when I couldn't find my pills and told them what I was on and the dosage. The Dr offered a similar medication for the days that I was on board...just enough to get me back home. Obviously, they don't stock all meds, but they did have a similar medication--I was lucky they did and certainly wouldn't count on it again.

http://www.cruising.org/regulatory/issues-facts/health-and-medical

it includes having a properly stocked medical center with a variety of drugs. The cruise lines have a list of pharmacies in ports that can be used in an emergency. Rules on what you need to get certain drugs vary by country.

http://www.acep.org/Physician-Resources/Clinical/Health-Care-Guidelines-for-Cruise-Ship-Medical-Facilities/

the Pharmacy guidelines are in section 6.

Edited by smeyer418

Lets clarify a few things. Ships carry a very limited selection and supply of drugs (nothing close to a real pharmacy). Visiting the ship's physician will usually cost you about $100 per visit plus the cost of any meds they would dispense. As to Travel Insurance, how this works depends on the actual policy (there are dozens of travel insurance policies plus travel medical policies). And we should add that many folks do not even buy travel insurance (we have an annual travel medical policy but never buy Travel Insurance). If your Travel Insurance is "secondary" you would have to first file with your primary (some insurance companies will handle the third party liability issue for you) and then, once they make a determination you can submit to your secondary. If the Travel Insurance is "Primary" then you just submit to them.

Hank

That's interesting. We did not have to file with the primary first...just filed the claim with the travel insurance and they paid the full amount.

We lucked into dinner with the ship's doc on one cruise. DD, who was in pharm school got a tour of the medical center and came away impressed with its facilities, supplies and meds.

There are so many insurance policies it depends the specific terms of the policy you had bought. Some will pay primary and others are secondary.