Inside cabin

I've only cruised once, and we had a balcony. My friends say they would NEVER cruise with an inside cabin - they did it once and felt it too confining. They say

"don't do it, you'll be sorry." But I was looking at this SUNDAY on the Freedom, and the only rooms left are inside. Good price, but if it's going to feel like a cave in my room, and if it's going to be noisy (which is what my friend experienced), I don't want to do it. There's always another time.

Any thoughts, cruisers?

I've only cruised once, and we had a balcony. My friends say they would NEVER cruise with an inside cabin - they did it once and felt it too confining. They say

"don't do it, you'll be sorry." But I was looking at this SUNDAY on the Freedom, and the only rooms left are inside. Good price, but if it's going to feel like a cave in my room, and if it's going to be noisy (which is what my friend experienced), I don't want to do it. There's always another time.

Any thoughts, cruisers?

Most of our cruises have been balconies or JS so last November we signed up for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise with an inside cabin. Before boarding I had a little of that concern for such a long cruise but we had the time of our lives on that cruise. To be honest you spend very little time in the cabin. For the at sea days we would just grab a table in the shade up by the pool so didn't feel the loss of a balcony.

The cabin was plenty big enough, no claustrophobic feel to it at all. Actually I think my wife preferred it as she could occasionally take an short afternoon nap and the room was plenty dark. :)

I've been on 13 cruises (4 of them on the Freedom) and I've stayed in an inside stateroom every time. They are a great value for the money! They are small, but laid out well. I have never had a problem with noise. Choose a stateroom at the aft of the ship in an interior hallway and you'll have very little traffic near your stateroom. My opinion -- don't hesitate for a minute to stay in an inside stateroom -- especially if the price is good. Unless you are planning to spend the majority of your cruise inside your room you should be totally fine!

Any thoughts, cruisers?

My experience with inside cabins is great. I have cruised three times (all in inside cabin) and i have book an inside on Allure in 2015. It depends what do you prefer on a cruise..me and my bf do not need larger cabin, because we are barely there! :) We are outside almost the whole time, just enjoying the ship and in different activities.

If the price is great - I would defenately GO FOR IT:D If you are concerned about the noises, ask your TA for number of a cabin and you can check cabin and their position on the ship or explain to TA your concernes..

Go and enjoy! :) You cannot loose anything but you can have a time of your life:D

The regular interior room on the Freedom is 150 sq ft and the deluxe balcony room is 184 sq ft, with an additional 66 sq ft on the balcony itself. As far as the interior rooms being noisy, just stay away from the connecting interior rooms with a door between them because they can be noisy. Noise travels easily through the doors. We were originally booked with an interior room on our upcoming cruise in Nov. but changed it to a balcony. 150 sq ft just appeared to be too small and we did have a balcony on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. Some people will say that you don't need a balcony because you don't spend that much time in the room, but the time you do spend there is much more enjoyable with a balcony.

We always sail inside and did so on our Freedom 2010 and Indy 2014 and with two people in the room, it was more than fine. I would definitely not say it was spacious, but we spend so little time in the room, who cares.

We like to spend the extra money on shore excursions and other upgrades like drinks or speciality dining, etc. Going solo you should have plenty of room and you will have a great time on Freedom!

I recently booked a B2B on Oasis in an inside and was more than happy to have kept the room but the price dropped significantly and I am now in a D2 Balcony for very little more than I originally paid. For me it's all about getting on board first and room 2nd. All my future cruises are currently booked with inside rooms.

My DW and I prefer inside rooms. We spend very little time in the room and have never in 4 cruises had a noise issue other than a foreword deck 3 cabin on Enchantment. Ever hear an anchor drop or tie down ropes deployed?

Over 60 cruises -- the vast majority in an inside. Sometimes I travel solo, sometimes with DH or DS. None have been a problem at all. Sure I would like to have the space of a balcony but refuse to pay twice as much. ( We are traveling in a balcony on Quantum in January because the price was just a bit more than an inside. ) I don't really use the balcony when we have one but DH does. If claustrophobia is not an issue, you should be fine. Try it!

I have had interior, ocean view, and balcony rooms (still waiting to splurge on a suite!), and we do not mind interior rooms at all. Is it nice to have a balcony? Absolutely. Is it nice to be on a ship? Absolutely. So we're really talking about the difference between two great things. And for me, that is nothing to stress over. We are booked on the Freedom for an interior cabin in October. If I see a good enough deal open up, I might upgrade. But for now, it allowed us to squeeze in another week of vacation at sea. :) I can't ever think of a vacation that I regretted taking. Not even the one to Mexico when I had (SURPRISE!) morning sickness all week! Morning sickness in paradise is better than morning sickness at home, any day!

I've had one inside cabin, shared with a (girl) friend in cozy 118 s.f., and we had a blast! I say go for it, and bring a couple of battery-operated candles. Adds a nice bit of light on the nightstand, desk, or coffeetable, and in the bathroom. I'm sure you would enjoy the cruise! :)

I'd be going solo too. Hubby has an industry show he has to work. Just wondering if I'd feel too cooped up, but both of you seem to think it's just fine...so different from my cruising friends here at home! :D

If I were you, I would go in a heartbeat.

I'd be going solo too. Hubby has an industry show he has to work. Just wondering if I'd feel too cooped up, but both of you seem to think it's just fine...so different from my cruising friends here at home! :D

Have done over 25 cruises solo in inside cabins and never once felt cooped up. Cruising solo in an inside cabin is my preferred way of cruising.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When I cruise solo I cruise in an inside. Otherwise I'm in a balcony. But I have to say being in an inside I find I am out and about more enjoying lounges and areas of the ship that would probably go unnoticed by me b/c if I do have a balcony, I spend time there. If it's a good price and ESPECIALLY if you are traveling solo. GO FOR IT.

Added benefit: GREAT SLEEP as it's nice and dark at night, and great naps for the same reason.

Been upgraded from our lowly inside cabins often. The choices have had outside exposure.

I don't need sunshine. It's free. And when I need that afternoon nap...the cabin is dark. There is no way to achieve dark with a outside, balcony or other configuration.

For limited time in the cabin, I don't understand why I would choose another location.

We used to do inside, but my husband said that the last time he hated the fact that he had no time it was when he woke up. So lat time we did a Caribbean with a balcony. Great

In October, we're taking a TA from Barcelona after four weeks in Europe. We decided on an inside cabin because the balcony would have cost over $ 1,000 more. I'd rather spend that in Europe on wine and food!

Also, someone said to turn the TV when you go to bed to the ship channel which gives you a view off the bow. As the sun comes up, you'll see it and be better oriented when you wake up. And I do like the really dark room.

I have always cruised in balconies or suites but did an inside cabin on IOS in April. I was cruising with friends but was solo in the cabin. I was afraid that after being in larger cabins with outside space that I would feel closed in. I have to say that I felt fine and LOVED having the cabin to myself. Now would I turn down a balcony if the price is right of course not but if you are trying to save money by all means go with the inside cabin.