Misleading Low Price Guarantee for Choice Air

Jay Bee

Flyer Talker , I have no doubt you are very experienced in air travel but seriously ......

My Quote:

They couldn't have been nicer. They changed my ticket only charging me the extra 70 dollars per

ticket which this ticket flight was listed as. They had no obligation to help me BUT they did.

Seriously ? That is your response ? :confused: They were waiting for my crappy 1 stop tickets from YUL to CIA ?:rolleyes:

Again you lose any pretense at objectivity when you suggest those who use CA are suckers.

Ease up, richstowe. I think you have completely misunderstood. Yes, it is very possible that the airline waived a rule because they needed a seat on one of your flights. You refer to it as "my crappy 1 stop tickets from YUL to CIA." If it was such a crappy flight, why did you book it? Obviously there was some value in that itinerary, but keep in mind that that itinerary was actually made up of two different flight segments. Individually either of those may have been extremely valuable to some other pax. In all likelihood, the airline did not need a seat on your exact, two segment, itinerary, but may well have needed a seat from YUL to XXX (wherever your connection was), or from XXX to CIA. If, for example, an airline has 10 pax from a prior disrupted flight that need to be rebooked, and the next flight is full but a pax on that next flight wants/needs to make a change, they very well may allow it, even if that person's ticket rules say no, because it frees up a seat for one of the other displaced pax, and helps the airline's goal of getting everyone where they need to go.

And YOUR advantage is the peace of mind knowing that you've bought a ticket that ENSURES you will get on the ship... Either by it waiting for you or Choice Air making arrangements / pay to have you catch up to it.

No other Airline is going to do that for you... And certainly not for $ 70

In this case, particularly so as it a Cruise to Alaska, and we are talking a rugged Cdn & US Coastline with not many Big City Airports along the Ship's course to fly into easily on your own if you needed tothink you got an excellent deal.

When I use Choice Air I do so primarily for Cruising peace of mind... I find their pricing very competitive for the same flights (like yourself I check my Airline choice first). They can be anywhere from cheaper, spot on, or a little more. When more it is under $ 100 in my experience (most often around the $ 50 mark). Considering that on a plane rarely do seats sell at the same price (intentional price changes by the Airlines) I don't find Choice Air's mark up bad at all knowing the EXTRA that I am getting that others on the fight don't get / need.

Cheers!

If you are sailing a typical northbound or southbound Alaska itinerary, then you will have all US ports once you leave your embarkation port. If you are leaving from Seattle, you will likely have a stop in Victoria on the last day before you return to Seattle, but all of the prior ports will be US ports. If you miss embarkation, you will miss your cruise. The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA, often confused with the Jones Act) prohibits any foreign-flagged vessel from transporting passengers from one US city to another without stopping in a distant foreign port. So if you miss the ship in Vancouver, you cannot board in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, or any other Alaska town. You could board in Victoria, but it would be the last day of your cruise, so hardly worth the effort, IMO.

Choice Air isn't going to pay the $300 fine that you would be required to pay if the ship allowed you to board, which is unlikely because they don't want to draw the wrath of the US government. You, or your travel insurance, will. But I don't think you'd make it on to the ship at all.

Now, if I could save $2000 buy purchasing a one-way international business class ticket to go on a transatlantic cruise (I have seen that much of a price difference), I would buy the Choice Air ticket and consider the savings part of my insurance fund if something goes wrong. But for a domestic ticket, I would book directly with the airline - I've seldom seen more than a few dollars' difference, if any, between the two, and I can rebook myself without the added hassle of dealing with an offshore agent who may have no idea what I'm trying to accomplish (have had that happen with Choice Air).

So mainly bashing, with 10% exception for a huge price savings.

If you are sailing a typical northbound or southbound Alaska itinerary, then you will have all US ports once you leave your embarkation port. If you are leaving from Seattle, you will likely have a stop in Victoria on the last day before you return to Seattle, but all of the prior ports will be US ports. If you miss embarkation, you will miss your cruise. The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA, often confused with the Jones Act) prohibits any foreign-flagged vessel from transporting passengers from one US city to another without stopping in a distant foreign port. So if you miss the ship in Vancouver, you cannot board in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, or any other Alaska town. You could board in Victoria, but it would be the last day of your cruise, so hardly worth the effort, IMO.

Choice Air isn't going to pay the $300 fine that you would be required to pay if the ship allowed you to board, which is unlikely because they don't want to draw the wrath of the US government. You, or your travel insurance, will. But I don't think you'd make it on to the ship at all.

Now, if I could save $2000 buy purchasing a one-way international business class ticket to go on a transatlantic cruise (I have seen that much of a price difference), I would buy the Choice Air ticket and consider the savings part of my insurance fund if something goes wrong. But for a domestic ticket, I would book directly with the airline - I've seldom seen more than a few dollars' difference, if any, between the two, and I can rebook myself without the added hassle of dealing with an offshore agent who may have no idea what I'm trying to accomplish (have had that happen with Choice Air).

So mainly bashing, with 10% exception for a huge price savings.

Great explanation of just another downside of Choice Air. Not only the $300 PVSA fine, but Choice Air is NOT going to pop for the pretty darn pricey flights from Seattle/YVR to an airport in Alaska on the cruise route. Those tickets would NOT be in their inventory.

But with a self purchased ticket and the blessing of the cruise line if you volunteered to pay the $300 PVSA ticket, I would bet you have a much better chance of flying to someplace in Alaska to join the ship on your dime than you would with a Choice Air ticket.

Choice Air is just going to shut you down as a general rule because they don't want to have to mess with all the intricacies of getting you on a ship in Alaska. Happened to a bunch of people out of Texas last year. They all ended their trips in Texas (they never got off the ground other than one couple and they got stuck in Salt Lake City). But if you were willing to do it yourself and they approved boarding after paying the PVSA fine, I bet you have at least a 75% chance of joining the ship.

Edited by greatam

richstowe...obviously you're biased to thinking Choice Air has no flaws, so, it doesn't even require further discussion when the facts state otherwise and you're incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I misspoke on one point. If you are on the SB, then you might have a shot of getting on the ship in one do the US ports since your cruise would end in Vancouver and there would be no PVSA issue. I don't imagine that there are many flights from the lower 48 that would even get you to ANC on the same day in time to board, so in all likelihood you'd need to come in a day or two early. And I doubt that there would much availability or that CA would charter a plane. So I don't see the peace of mind factor there. Or at all, really.

To the OP, glad you are happy with your ticket. Regardless of the negative comments on here regarding choice air it sounds like you have a "regular" ticket and even though I think you are a little optimistic about what Choice Air can do for you, I'm sure you'll be fine and are happy with your purchase. Don't let the "negative nellies" drag you down.

To RichStowe, you'll soon learn that the best thing to do is to choose to "ignore" any posts/comments by FlyerTalker and Greatam. They have lost all credibility with me a long time ago and their condescending comments are something I no longer care to read. As soon as I figured out the way to ignore any and all comments they make on this forum my life has been better (if you haven't figured out how to ignore posts by certain forum members just search). I fully agree with you that comparing any discounted ticket with a full fare ticket is just a joke and that to belittle people for their decisions brings me back to a high school mentality.

Edited by RickT

Thanks for your comment RickT . The truth is those comments actually amused me.

If I put them on ignore I will lose this fun. You can't pay for this sort of spectacle . :D

I believe that C A is another option that may be of value to some. No more, no less.

I will say that you have to wonder what the motivation is for some of these comments.

It seems that they have an ulterior motive such as C A being "the" competition.

The last rant actually made me laugh. It made DW, who works with young children, shake her head.

Thanks for your comment RickT .

Always good to have a laugh. BTW, not sure which place I love more... Montreal or Stowe but by default I'll pick Stowe since Montreal normally involves work and Stowe doesn't.

Maybe our paths with cross on a cruise one day. Until then, enjoy life and keep up the good attitude.

To RichStowe, you'll soon learn that the best thing to do is to choose to "ignore" any posts/comments by FlyerTalker and Greatam. They have lost all credibility with me a long time ago and their condescending comments are something I no longer care to read.

As someone who has participated for over 10yrs in many online fora that involve airline travel I'd say they're amongst the most knowledgable people I've come across in that time.

I prefer to call their style of delivery truth hurts or tough love. Personally I think Choice Air preys upon those who are looking at price and price alone and are suckered in by marketing BS. I mean look at some of the complete non-truths uttered here about Choice Air, the ship will wait for someone on Choice Air tickets. WOW!

It seems cruise passengers are far more price sensitive and hands off to a lot of aspects of their trips than your average traveler. So if Cruise Air can promise low, low prices (and let's ignore the HORRIBLE caveats because it's cheap) and can get people to believe in some kind of myth about flying passengers by G-V to catch their ship at no cost then they're onto a winner.

As someone who has participated for over 10yrs in many online fora that involve airline travel I'd say they're amongst the most knowledgable people I've come across in that time.

I prefer to call their style of delivery truth hurts or tough love. Personally I think Choice Air preys upon those who are looking at price and price alone and are suckered in by marketing BS. I mean look at some of the complete non-truths uttered here about Choice Air, the ship will wait for someone on Choice Air tickets. WOW!

It seems cruise passengers are far more price sensitive and hands off to a lot of aspects of their trips than your average traveler. So if Cruise Air can promise low, low prices (and let's ignore the HORRIBLE caveats because it's cheap) and can get people to believe in some kind of myth about flying passengers by G-V to catch their ship at no cost then they're onto a winner.

So true.

Greatam, Globaliser and flyertalker probably have more air miles between them than anybody else on CC.

And even if people who work or have worked in the actual airline business at check-in and ticketing in a supervisory capacity for 10+ years, like headhunterke and myself, give advice, there are still people who feel they know better. Some people unfortunately just ask for advice to confirm their own gut feeling, but when the answer is not what they want, the person offering the advice is told he is rude or whatever.

Cruise Air is a great marketing ploy. I use to supervise a TA flight to Miami daily, with loads of European cruise travellers. The flight would arrive in MIA at 2:45 pm, the ship would leave at 5:00 pm. One little hick-up, just one slight delay, and the holiday was lost. Even with a delay of multiple hours, many cruise passengers kept believing they would be rebooked or rerouted by cruise air, but THEY NEVER WERE.

I don't imagine that there are many flights from the lower 48 that would even get you to ANC on the same day in time to board, so in all likelihood you'd need to come in a day or two early. And I doubt that there would much availability or that CA would charter a plane.

It's not just about "are there more flights that day" it's about whether or not there are seats available on those subsequent flights. Passengers will not be booted off the flight to accommodate a CA pax who missed a prior flight. And if there ARE seats, the airline's own high level frequent flyers and those who paid for full fare tickets will be accommodated first. That often doesn't leave much room, if any, for those with "special" tickets.

To RichStowe, you'll soon learn that the best thing to do is to choose to "ignore" any posts/comments by FlyerTalker and Greatam. They have lost all credibility with me a long time ago

Too bad you ignore them. They are a wealth of information. They tell it like it is so that others can be truly informed when making flight decisions, and not be lulled into a false sense of security from something perceived to be a guarantee when it isn't any such thing.

To keep the conversation friendly without accusations, please correct me if I'm wrong....but my question is:

1...yes, many people have experienced a pleasant and smooth trip going through CA?

2...yes, many people have had an unpleasant experience with their trip going through CA?

3...Just because one person has a positive or negative experience doesn't mean everyone will?

4...Because your tickets through CA are not directly from the air or cruise line, more issues are apt to arise if everything

with your trip doesn't go according to plan?

5...Even though there are positive comments for CA, it seems like there are more negative comments?

6...Even though CA might be another option, are the odds still better going directly through the airline avoiding rolling

the dice that no issues will arise, then, having to go through all the hurdles if you bought through CA?

Since I'm new to this, I thought these questions would me out going forward, and avoid everyone going back and forth with comments that might be accurate, or, just personal opinions without the true, overall facts.

Thanks

Dave

Too bad you ignore them. They are a wealth of information. They tell it like it is so that others can be truly informed when making flight decisions, and not be lulled into a false sense of security from something perceived to be a guarantee when it isn't any such thing.

This may be so. My issue is that Choice Air seems to be held to a higher standard then

other vendors of discounted/restricted tickets. I am sorry if some consumers believe they are

getting something they are not. From the above comments you would

think flight issues are unique to Choice Air .

I am aware that C A will book you on a connecting flight with 30 minutes between segments.:eek:

They also offer flights which land mid afternoon day of the cruise. :eek::eek:

They regularly offer these options which I do not choose.

But so do Priceline, Flight Network etc etc. Why pick on C A ? it is no better and no worse then others.

I am aware that C A will book you on a connecting flight with 30 minutes between segments.:eek:

They also offer flights which land mid afternoon day of the cruise. :eek::eek:

But so do Priceline, Flight Network etc etc. Why pick on C A ? it is no better and no worse then others.

I think posters are merely pointing out the reality about CA, and no one is "picking" on it. This discussion is not about PL or Flight Network or any other ticket consolidator. I have never seen a post here from someone who thinks a ship will wait for them, or that they will receive personal help from PL if there are problems with their flight. But, I've seen many posts from people who believe that If the purchase CA, they have full protection from any problem, and that just isn't true.

I don't care where people purchase airfare, but they should understand what they are buying. And buying your ticket through CA does not protect you if something goes wrong, as so many people believe.

I have been on a cruise where the cruise ship delayed departure because about 1/3 of the passengers on plane was taking the cruise ,

Voyage of the Sea May 2011 in Venice, the Airline was Air Transat

Air Transat operates almost like a charter. They don't fly every day to every location. And there are instances where the ship will wait for passengers on delayed flights. No one ever said they did not on rare occasions.

But the real truth depends on the Captain and particularly the port. Some ports, Vancouver particularly, the ship MUST leave due to the tides. No Captain is going to wait in Vancouver. The Seymour Narrows outside of Vancouver is a narrow, rock filled area. The pilot boats insist they get through this area while the water is at it's calmest. So the ship MUST leave when the tide is out. Not many options at this port.

And other ports-the port authorities need the space for another ship or the cost is too high to keep the ship docked. Captain has to decide whether a possible extra $50-100,000 for additional dockage is worth 50 passengers on $500 plane tickets plus all the passengers already on board who want their cruise.

To keep the conversation friendly without accusations, please correct me if I'm wrong....but my question is:

1...yes, many people have experienced a pleasant and smooth trip going through CA?

2...yes, many people have had an unpleasant experience with their trip going through CA?

3...Just because one person has a positive or negative experience doesn't mean everyone will?

Quite true. Can be said with any airline experience no matter where you purchased the tickets

4...Because your tickets through CA are not directly from the air or cruise line, more issues are apt to arise if everything

with your trip doesn't go according to plan?

Again, we are right back to the base issue about Choice Air tickets. You have NO IDEA what you are purchasing. VERY, VERY rarely can you read the ENTIRE fare rules.

You don't know if your ticket is ENDORSABLE (good on another airline). You don't know if your ticket is NON REROUTABLE (can you fly DFW/JFK/LHR when your original ticket was DFW/ORD/LHR). And with those restrictions which you don't know in advance, you are now left to the mercy of whomever can help you. Maybe Choice Air, maybe the airline. But why would you put yourself in that situation to begin with?

There have been a few times when I have been told I couldn't do this or do that with an airline direct purchased ticket. I print out the fare rules for every long haul flight I make. Then the agent can take another look to see if what I was asking for is within the fare rules of my ticket. I have already pre-planned any diversion/glitch and know in advance of the flight what options may be available under the rules of my ticket.

You can't do that with a Choice Air ticket because you very, very rarely KNOW what those rules are. Choice Air tickets are generally NON PUBLISHED FARES, so the rules are ANYTHING the cruise line and airline agree to. You don't know what the rules are. How could you even try to figure out an alternative? You can't. And depending on the airport agent or a phone agent leaves you at another disadvantage with any airline ticket.

Example: You are booked to fly PHX/ORD/LHR on AA. But ORD is backed up because of weather so the chances of you making the ORD/LHR connection are very slim. So you ask immediately-can you get me on the non stop BA flight out of PHX to LHR? Or can you get me on the PHX/JFK/LHR flight on AA (now possible because of the US merger)? Or even the PHX/DFW/LHR flight? Agents very often won't even ask if you want those alternatives because of the possible downsides. The BA flight involves a 5-6 hour wait at PHX (there is only one flight per day and it is about 7:30PM). PHX/JFK involves a very short connection. And the DFW flight very often requires a overnight.

But underneath this example is the ability to re-route or even change airlines. I KNOW the rules of MY ticket allow this. You can't make that assumption with a Choice Air ticket because again, for the 1000th time, you DON'T KNOW THE RULES.

5...Even though there are positive comments for CA, it seems like there are more negative comments?

There is no answer

6...Even though CA might be another option, are the odds still better going directly through the airline avoiding rolling

the dice that no issues will arise, then, having to go through all the hurdles if you bought through CA?

Since I'm new to this, I thought these questions would me out going forward, and avoid everyone going back and forth with comments that might be accurate, or, just personal opinions without the true, overall facts.

Thanks

Dave

Why would you put the fate of your cruise in the hands of someone who won't even tell you the rules? I like the odds of doing it myself and pre planning alternatives knowing there can be a glitch in any airline travel no matter where I bought the ticket. But at least I know what I can and cannot do because I can actually read those precious FARE RULES.

Edited by greatam

Greatam posted some very thoughtful answers - not to supersede them, but here are a couple of my own additions:

And this is what many CA "defenders" cite. No argument here - most flight experiences (whether CA or not) work out just fine, with minimal to no delays/hiccups.
Significantly smaller number than #1, but this is where issues arise. And significantly smaller not because of cruiseline air, but because the whole air traffic system works far better than most believe. So you're more likely to be in group #1 than #2.
Extrapolation bias at work.
4...Because your tickets through CA are not directly from the air or cruise line, more issues are apt to arise if everything with your trip doesn't go according to plan?
See Greatam's post for the technical answer. For the human side: The thing to remember, and what's so hard for many to get their heads around is: The tickets bought through a third party may very well NOT be the same ticket as what is available from the carrier directly. The flights may be the same, the times and seats may be the same - but the underlying ticket, and its fare rules, aren't the same.

To try to get this across, I use the example of buying a camera in the Caribbean. Although the physical camera is the same as what you would purchase at home, it's not just the metal, glass, plastics and electronics that you are buying. You also have the warranty and factory support. Those documents are different and your coverage is different. You don't get the full USA warranty, so although the price may be cheaper, you aren't buying the same product. Same with airline tickets. The flight is the same but the underlying documentation is different. And that's the rub. Folks need to look beyond just the obvious "well, it's the same flight for cheaper".

Who can say. And this is not something that gets decided by popular vote. Just because thousands of people believe something doesn't make it right. Take a look at many elections. :D
6...Even though CA might be another option, are the odds still better going directly through the airline avoiding rolling the dice that no issues will arise, then, having to go through all the hurdles if you bought through CA?
Sorry if this sounds like punting but this is a matter of every individual's own risk tolerance levels and how they make personal economic value judgments. For some, cost savings is the absolute highest priority. For others, its value is less. Personally, I don't care what end decision anyone makes - that's what economic freedom is about. What I do care about is when those decisions are made on incomplete or inaccurate information. So if someone says "I've thought about it, taken the various factors into account and the savings are worth it to buy cruiseline air", my reaction is: Good for you! If they say "But it's the cheapest" or "They'll get me to the ship", then my reaction isn't as positive. So it's not a knock on deciding to buy cruiseline air. It's on how the decision was reached.
Very good questions - hopefully you consider the answers to be helpful.

So if someone says "I've thought about it, taken the various factors into account and the savings are worth it to buy cruiseline air", my reaction is: Good for you! .

I'm one of the people who have read through the various cruise air threads and the sticky to come to the conclusion that I would take the risk for a cruise this past June. Factors leading me to take the risk....Flight was from DTW to CPH, return from Stockholm. Cruiseline had just added DTW as a gateway city, giving a clue that it was working with Delta. Paid a deviation to go in a few days early which would mitigate the risk. Also, with the deviation I could request itineraries through AMS, which left a number of solutions if things went sideways. I also knew I was getting miles, so I knew that while it was a flawed ticket...it wasn't the crappiest ticket out there (low on the food chain, but not on the bottom).

This December for another cruise, I opted to take the air compensation. Risks were too great ( flying in winter) and I could book a flight directly with the carrier at slightly more than the comp price and less than the comp price plus deviation fee.

So I guess I would like to thank the group here for the education.

We had some minor status on Delta with our CA misadventure. It bought us nothing. The other cost, in the rare incidents that your flight is late, is in what condition you will arrive at work following the delay.

One of the posters asked why people were raggin' on just CA and not other 3rd party agents. Well, I'll do just that for you.

The 3rd party agent is just a wedge between you and the airline/hotel/car rental. Most of the time, things go just fine. But, for those unfortunate times that things go sideways, it's then that you will find out that you should have gone direct to the source or at least knew exactly what your "rights" were per your contract/fare class/rate plan…

The only time I book via a 3rd party is when there is no option for me to book direct. I had one trip like that back in June - I had to get to SBA and no flights from a single airline could get me there and back from my home airport. I didn't do Expedia/Orbitz/Priceline, but I used the AMEX booking engine. I went in with my eyes wide open. I got all individual PNRs, looked at the airline websites for info on my flights, monitored my flights, and I had backup plans in case any one leg went belly up.

I have a friend who was an elite athlete. The team booked flights using Expedia (stupid front office people). She had to fly home at the last minute - the office changed her flight and only gave her the Expedia confirmation number. That number was of NO help at the little podunk airport in Austria and she couldn't get any help from Expedia.

At my hotel, we spent over an hour with Expedia the other night trying to unravel a reservation they botched. They booked the correct dates, then we got a change order to move the dates back by a day. Well, the guest didn't show up that day because THEY DIDN'T know it was changed! They showed up the next day - we had no reservation for them. Expedia refused to pay for the new night because they said they hadn't done the change (even though we had the paper). They said they never heard from the guest, even though they had called ON BEHALF of the guest that night to try to get us to give them a room. The poor guests were having to rely on the fine offshore (in India) agent Expedia stuck them with instead of being able to deal with us directly. They had paid Expedia for the room, so we couldn't help them unless they wanted to pay for the room themselves and try to get their money back from Expedia…

So, I'll be one to say that the issue isn't just with Cruise Air, but any 3rd party booking engine that says they'll give you the best price and they'll back you up…

P.S. FlyerTalker and Greatam and the others are a GREAT resource here. They type it like it is and don't sugar coat things. Every forum does not have to be a luvfeast of fluffy women and people interested in group Tshirts and cabin crawls...;)

\My issue is that Choice Air seems to be held to a higher standard then

other vendors of discounted/restricted tickets.

The difference IMO is that CA is the only one that uses tricky verbiage that makes it sound like they guarantee you will make the ship. The others are specifically cruise-related, so they don't have that language that lulls people into a that particular false sense of security. As this is a cruise air forum, that's why the 3rd party conversation tends to focus on CA. :)

We had some minor status on Delta with our CA misadventure. It bought us nothing.

Out of curiosity, what exactly was your "minor status?"

We just booked a one way Cruise Air home from Europe in November. We knew the airline, flights, etc and were comfortable.

Here are two examples of how knowledge of ticket fare codes can make a huge difference.

We were on our way back from P. Rico a few years ago. Major snowstorm and United had us scheduled to stay in Dulles for 1 1/2 days. Huge line ups. Got on the phone and in the lineup. Phone worked..got the last two seat going west to SFO-not our final destination but at least away from the snow zone. We did finally get home that day only a few hours late. Had we had a fare code at the bottom of the pile we might still be there.

Last Jan booked to Bangkok return. Two options-same price. Checked the United fare code...no changes period. Checked the Delta fare code...changes for $300. As luck would have it we had to return early. Paid the Delta change fee of $300. Had we selected United, the return air one way would have been much, much more expensive.

It really comes down to understanding the prices, the carrier routes, and MOST especially your fare code. Anything goes on Cruise Air so we would always assume that we are getting a bottom of the barrel fare code even thought this is not always the case.

'Flying to catch a cruise' will generally not trump fare code priorities. There are some people out there who actually believe that purchasing Cruise Air guarantees that they will arrive on time or that the cruise line will hire a helicopter for the. Wrong. They will help but ultimately the fare reigns. They may not even spring for another ticket on another airline if your fare code ticket is not transferable. Not certain where these urban legends came from.

Edited by iancal