Is a Jr Suite Worth $900?

We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 toddlers) and are currently booked on Oasis in an OV balcony cabin, the only kind of cabin we've ever had. The same sailing has a Jr Suite for $900 more.

My understanding is that a Jr Suite would get us:

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- a little bit more cabin space

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

For those of you that have sailed in a JS, would you consider $900 worth it to upgrade for those things? And am I missing anything else that you get with a JS? Would we be better off sticking with our current cabin and jsut checking bacak to see if it gets cheaper later?

Thanks!

We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 toddlers) and are currently booked on Oasis in an OV balcony cabin, the only kind of cabin we've ever had. The same sailing has a Jr Suite for $900 more.

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

For those of you that have sailed in a JS, would you consider $900 worth it to upgrade for those things? And am I missing anything else that you get with a JS? Would we be better off sticking with our current cabin and jsut checking bacak to see if it gets cheaper later?

Thanks!

For four people yes, but I don't think the JS gets any earlier boarding for Oasis, though the whole process goes pretty fast. The only real loss between not boarding with the suites and your regular boarding is the Park Cafe will have a line out the door before you get there.

For me where we always cruise as 2, I will do the JS if it gets down to less than $500 total (only happened once on a 4 day) I would have done it on my last cruise to make me Diamond for my next cruise, but the difference never got down to less than $1000 for that 7 day.

Edited by BillOh

Spending $900 for an upgrade to a JS from a D balcony on a 7 day Caribbean cruise would not be worth it to us. However, there are only two of us in the stateroom, so that affects our point of view. With 4 people in the stateroom, and the bathtub for the kids, I can see that it might be worth it for you.

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

Absolutely. We really enjoy having more room, walk in closet, balcony and especially the bathtub for me on the JS. SO worth it :)

Cruisinmama, ...loaded question. :)

You are really the only one that can decide if $900 difference on your 7-night is worth it - $900 means something different to everyone.

I would say this, having traveled with my kids in the same stateroom most of the time that the extra space in the living area to move around, the extra storage for 'stuff' in the walk-in closet, and the tub in the bathroom - especially having toddlers, would definitely make the JS worth the extra $$ to ME - just that alone.

However, if budget is a concern and you know you can be happy, safe and have fun on the cruise sharing a D-level balcony cabin, then $900 might be money better spent on something else.

I am sure you and your family will have a wonderful cruise in whichever cabin you decide... Happy cruising to you!

Edited by SnappyNappi

For four people yes, but I don't think the JS gets any earlier boarding for Oasis, though the whole process goes pretty fast. The only real loss between not boarding with the suites and your regular boarding is the Park Cafe will have a line out the door before you get there.

For me where we always cruise as 2, I will do the JS if it gets down to less than $500 total (only happened once on a 4 day) I would have done it on my last cruise to make me Diamond for my next cruise, but the difference never got down to less than $1000 for that 7 day.

We had a JS on the Oasis and yes we did board thru the Suite entrance...actually walked right on after checking in.

If it's your Oasis cruise that is a year away...I'd wait...plenty of time for prices to come down...even after final payment...a JS with 4 people would be great...but that's a bit to much to pay for me...JMHO...

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

Yes! For four people that's a reasonable price.

We just sailed in a room with a bathtub last month for the first time (different cruise line) and it made the bathing experience for our toddler 1000 times easier!!!

Double points doesn't hurt, think about this... Where would you be able to get another cruise for four people for $900?? You won't so that's a bargain price on extra points.

Larger room is also a huge bonus for a family of four!

I'd say to go for it!!!!

We just sailed in our first JS in March. Previously, we were in D or E balconies. I was really impressed by how much bigger the JS is. It's huge, relatively speaking.

With 4 people in a standard balcony.. now THAT is tight!! In a JS.. a TOTALLY different experience (in a good way!) Combine that with a bathroom that is x1000 better (with a tub, and a TON more room), Then yes, the $900 for 4 ppl ($225 pp ) extra is worth it!

Unless the $900 will break the bank, I vote YES!

Several people have told you to wait because the prices may come down. Of course the price may also go up. Since you did not mention the date of the cruise and how much you paid, it is impossible to comment on this.

Did you book at a special price for the third and forth person in the cabin? Sometimes they will not let you change without losing the special deal.

Do be aware if you change your cabin now the cruiseline is almost always unwilling to give you a price reduction if the price goes down. However they are more willing to change your reservation to a larger more expensive cabin (with the exception of sales that are for new bookings only) . This is why many people tell you to book the least expensive cabin that you can live with and hope that the larger cabin goes on sale later.

Sorry if this is confusing. Please post if this is not clear and someone else will explain better. And to posters, if I have not stated this correctly, please comment. I have never tried to change cabins, just read about it on cruise critics.

Cruisinmama, ...loaded question. :)

$900 means something different to everyone.

Agreed. Case in point the difference between $1000 and $1900 and the difference between $5000 and $5900. There's "a few bucks more" vs. "practically doubling the price."

The JS adds some cool stuff and extra room, but "just me" I look at these things more as a percentage of original price vs. absolute dollars spent.

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

I haven't cruised the Oasis and have priority due to senior C&A status so can't answer part of the question.

The first serious question actually is one of safety and it applies since you have a balcony either way - can either of your toddlers open heavy doors? Are either of them climbers? A balcony presents certain hazards with small children and you are going to have to be in charge all the time and never sleep with the balcony door open. Bigger balcony = more furniture = more climbing opportunities.

Bathtub. Our kids took showers. We just hauled them into the shower with us (babe in arms) from the time they were infants. This eliminated all possibility of child ever being left alone with water in the tub for even a second. Most of the showers have spray heads on hose, so you can just sit the child down and spray him/her off.

I love my off spring dearly, and I have managed three teenagers and me in a standard Ocean View. It is all a matter of what you want. If the price drops, go for it - but that is more than 100$/day...

-Holly

(who has cruised in everything on RCCL from inside to RS and likes JS the best)

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

as long as the $900 isn't going to brink the bank....YES

The huge walk in closet is also a great asset you didn't list...can double as a dressing room even.

Several people have told you to wait because the prices may come down. Of course the price may also go up. Since you did not mention the date of the cruise and how much you paid, it is impossible to comment on this.

Did you book at a special price for the third and forth person in the cabin? Sometimes they will not let you change without losing the special deal.

Do be aware if you change your cabin now the cruiseline is almost always unwilling to give you a price reduction if the price goes down. However they are more willing to change your reservation to a larger more expensive cabin (with the exception of sales that are for new bookings only) . This is why many people tell you to book the least expensive cabin that you can live with and hope that the larger cabin goes on sale later.

Sorry if this is confusing. Please post if this is not clear and someone else will explain better. And to posters, if I have not stated this correctly, please comment. I have never tried to change cabins, just read about it on cruise critics.

As long as you are before final payment you can get price drops ...as long as the new price isn't a special for new bookings only...changing cabins or categories makes no difference in that regard...

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

Short answer. Yes.

It would not be worth it to me. $900 is a lot of money, and I'd rather put it towards excursions, onboard expenses or another cruise.

When our kids were small, we had no issues with a D category quad cabin.

- a bathtub for the kids

- a larger balcony

- double cruise points

- and earlier boarding.

Thanks!

If the $900 isn't going to break your budget I would definitely go for it!! Keep an eye on things and see if prices drop and you still might get a deal. We always get a JS no matter what line .... and so far of all the lines we've cruised, RCCI is the best and Oasis is awesome! There is SO much extra room, larger balcony (especially on the hump!) .... the bath, the walk in closet ... it's great. When we began cruising we 'tried' it with a short cruise on Carnival with a balcony which was perfectly fine. We decided we liked cruising, and decided to try another line ... there was a sale and what we got for last minute was the JS ... now, unfortunately, we can't go back!! LOL!! And, unless it's changed, you do board earlier ... there is a whole different area marked 'suites' and there is where you go and it goes very quickly. So, I say go for it ... but you might get spoiled!! LOL!! We did! :)