Le Club Voyage Thumbs up or down

uktog

Wow! All I can say is, Wow! I had thought of giving Azamara a try for perhaps new itineraries. I should pay twice as much as Celebrity for a smaller cabin, no free laundry, no free internet? Including free booze means nothing to me except that I am paying for others' drinks (I don't drink alcohol).

Glad I read about this before booking. Won't be happening.

Well I was waiting to see what exciting benefits Azamara was going to add to Discover Plus. Was thinking about the TA next november with friends. Guess what, I think I'll stick with Celebrity and enjoy my elite plus benefits. :D

I know a lot of people don't said for the benefits but I love free laundry and internet.

Joel, all of your examples under the new scheme assume that the guest spends money in order to achieve the savings. If I don't upgrade, book a future cruise or passages, spend money in the spa or shops or indeed book a cruise within 12 months of achieving a new level to get my free nights then I'm out of luck and that doesn't even take account of the terms and conditions under which I'm booked which may preclude me from offers anyway. Under the old scheme there truly was FREE stuff, but now it seems the only way you will give anything away is by me spending more money and increasing Azamara's revenue. I get it. I really do.

Phil

Exactly.

This announcement is the first of the continuing changes to potentially be a deal breaker for me. Like LIZ130, I finally reached the Discovery level on my cruise last year. For that loyalty, I get LESS than I did on my first AZ cruise when I had only sailed once on Celebrity?

To repeat the unanimous negative comments, the wine bubbly was nice, but the laundry and internet discounts were one way to justify the high cost of AZ.

We book soon after itineraries are released, but I just can't see another AZ booking happening for us. We'll be on the British Open cruise next year, but this trip we'll have no plans to book onboard.

Since our trip in 2013, I'd been looking forward to the Discovery level lunch table, enough free minutes that we wouldn't have to buy any, etc.

Wow. I too may be saying sayonara.

Upon reflection, since points are reciprocal between Celebrity and Azamara, what is to stop one from taking that ONE magic cruise upon which they change classes and gain free nights with one cruise? Am I missing something?

The bottle of sparkly was a nice touch (but we hardly ever drank it!) But the free internet minutes and the free laundry were and are very important to us. We don't want to spend time in port looking for internet cafes! We're in the same position as a couple of other posters...at the Discoverer level already but unlikely to be moving up any time soon so the "complimentary" days are useless to us. We are not much interested in the "upgrade" opportunity either as we always book early to pick our preferred cabin location. And now, with the addition of the dining tiers and packages, suite passengers will find it much harder to avail themselves of complimentary specialty dining. So really that's another "perk" gone.

All in all, very very upsetting. We loved you Azamara, but with all the changes in the past couple of years (let's not forget the loss of the harpist and now great chunks of prime cruising time turned over to charters) and the increase in cruise prices and the loss of LCV benefits, we're going to seriously reconsider our loyalty. Time to look at other cruiselines and maybe convert our 2015 cruise to a land vacation instead.

I was on Jpurney in Augsut and notihng was said anywhere. .this makes the le club voyager job easier with no laundry and free internet.. but i had no problem dining at ngiht in specality places.. i like 8 or later so it was easy. I still care more about laundry than internet as half the time it does not work.. wheni do lunch or dinner in port i look for free wifi as i can post pictures to facebook and friends.

but this was a stupid move and will wait and see whati can find for 2016 for cruies.

This is certainly somewhat misleading:

1. The 10% discount only applies to SELECT voyages, not all. I assume these will be the ones not booking well, which is where the reduced singles supplement is also offered at the current time.

As someone who typically sales solo, I'm particularly attuned to the accuracy of your observation... The Savings For Singles program has all but dwindled into oblivion and--to make matters worse--Azamara hasn't bothered to update the website listing available opportunities as the roster has begrudgingly been expanded... And then, Azamara wonders why they've gotten related adverse comments from me and other similarly situated cruisers!

On a similar theme, I actually thought that Azamara might use this Roll Out to announce that they would follow the leads of their sister lines--Royal Caribbean and Celebrity--in awarding double Cruise Points to solo cruisers paying a 200% single supplement... Such a small and equitable thing but I must have been absolutely delusional to think that a leadership that fails to read or listen to the Voice Of The Guest, meet commitments, and comes across as fundamentally arrogant [let's politely say unattuned] might actually understand--let alone foster--the patronage of the 21st Century's most rapidly emerging demographic...

I've been a very vocal critic of Azamara's Le Club Voyage debacle from its outset, and though I could write pages today, others here have done a great job of expressing my shared exasperation today... I just looked at a letter from Azamara's Marketing Director--sent to me while aboard Journey in February after I expressed my displeasure--that makes me cackle, in utter disbelief, in retrospect... In part, it stated... "As far as the program benefits, we are working on new benefits that will launch in April. I realize there is a lag between December and April, and you are right, it should all be launched at the same time... We were, however, as a team not happy with the initial benefit recommendation. Therefore, we decided rather than launch something in haste that was not right, to go back to the drawing board to create something we felt was a stronger benefits program to our guests." So we've waited nine + months for this??? And isn't the gleeful giddiness and sense of renewed loyalty among Cruise Critic members--many with very significant sailing histories with Azamara and across the family of brands--palpable, almost electric, here today???

I could take on the numbers published here today--they're seriously flawed and lack cogency/candor--but enough has been said and now, more than ever, I have profound doubt and increasingly little care that such comments might matter one iota... And so it comes down to this: Poke me with a fork; I'm done and want to get off this grill before I'm further burned...

I am reminded of an old expression that my very wise, immigrant, Eastern European grandfather used to use... "The more you smear a pig with honey, the more it smells like____." I'll let the imaginative members here fill in the blank...

Discoverer Platinum Lowest Highest

10% savings $364.20 $984.10

$199 upgrade $493.00 $493.00

10 Earned Comp. Nights $4,250.00 $4,250.00

Passages (10% + $200 OBC) $364.20 $1,184.10

internet savings (50%) $4.98 $49.98

spa savings (25%; $119/$495) $29.75 $123.75

$50 or $200 for gift shop savings $50.00 $200.00

TOTAL $5,556.13 $7,284.93

Joel,

I crossed the 100 credit Discoverer Platinum (Zenith) threshold sailing on the Azamara Quest in 3/2011.

Therefore even if I sail every Azamara cruise from now to eternity I will not get the 10 free days:(

Based on the 10% savings your example indicates the least expensive cabin on the least expensive cruise is $3642 pp. I looked at your web site and found cruises starting at $1999 pp. Please explain this. Does the 10% discount not apply to cruises priced less than $3642 pp?

In order to get the 10 free nights ($4250 value) one has to earn 2250 points (difference from the next lower level). At 2 points per day in an inside cabin and your $3642 fare (even if for a 7 night cruise) that is 160 cruses or $582,720. Spend over $1 million (for a couple) and get 10 free nights - WOW what a deal:confused: Plus even at 10 cruises per year it would take 20 years!!!

A definite thumbs down from us too. We are on Discoverer level and have just booked our 10th cruise for next January. This was booked in the knowledge that we would be getting our 235 minutes of free Internet each, a bag of laundry and Discoverers brunch. Now we find these have been taken away. We don't mind not having the sparkling wine as other drinks are 'free' on board but the other perks were a definite incentive to book Azamara (as well as the wonderful crew and service onboard).

We reiterate what has been said in previous posts in that we are unlikely to get to the next level to achieve our complimentary nights, we do not use the spa or buy jewellery etc. so the new 'benefits' will be of little use to us. They should at least honour the benefits that people who have already booked for 2015 thought they would be getting, or give them the choice of keeping the old benefits or switching to the new ones for any cruises already booked post 1st January 2015.

We are on our first Oceania cruise next month and have our first Seabourn cruise booked for next June plus a Celebrity one in October 2015. We had felt quite disloyal 'defecting' to other cruise lines but it will be interesting to compare them as we feel we should spread our wings now that Azamara does not seem to value our loyalty anymore.

The announcement really makes me wonder. Why would Azamara hype these changes? Do they really think that their past passengers are stupid? I have four back to back cruses booked in 2015/2016 that I may move to Celebrity or cancel. The only real loyalty benefits that were used on all cruses by almost all loyalty members was the free internet and free laundry. Now they are gone. What are you thinking Azamara?

Upon reflection, since points are reciprocal between Celebrity and Azamara, what is to stop one from taking that ONE magic cruise upon which they change classes and gain free nights with one cruise? Am I missing something?

To earn complimentary nights, members must earn at least 50% of their member points on Azamara and must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years. Terms may vary by country.

Until now Azamara was our favorite cruise line. It's amazing how stupid they think we are. :mad: And now I have to figure out how to replace next year's B2B -- and to add insult, pay them $50 per voyage for the cancellation.

Flabbergasted -- but at least there are plenty of alternatives. Luckily we're Elite on Princess (where they value their loyal members) and can go to their R ships. And we can also go back to our Elite Plus on Celebrity, even though we'd prefer smaller ships. We may even have to sample Oceania.

Shame on you, Azamara!!

Azamara also seem to have gutted the onboard booking discount. Previously the Onboard booking value was $200-$600 USD based on cabin. Now the Onboard booking appears to be linked to level, so as Discoverer I would get a 5 % booking bonus. On my last cruise that would have been $284, and would be $155 for my upcoming TA. That is a big reduction from the $400 I received as an onboard booking bonus on a Veranda Cabin. It’s true I would get a $200 OBC, but again I would probably have to spend to get.

I would not mind paying for Internet if I could actually use it. Last cruise I left over 200 minutes, because I could NEVER get logged in.

The free laundry is the cruelest loss.

Overall, I agree, you must pay more to get anything. The free laundry and Internet could be depended on as a perk. The new program is a disappointment and designed to increase revenue, not reward loyalty.

A definite thumbs down from us too.

They should at least honour the benefits that people who have already booked for 2015 thought they would be getting, or give them the choice of keeping the old benefits or switching to the new ones for any cruises already booked post 1st January 2015.

Rose,

I like your thinking. If they honoured the the current program for those of us booked beyond January 1st, I'd keep our B2B. Otherwise it's cancellation.

It would also be nice if they allowed penalty free cancellation due to their ill advised changes -- but of course that would cut into Larry's bonus.

Bruce

What they don't get is that for most Azamara loyalists, its not about the $$$ or carrots on sticks, its about that special feeling and the little things.

Well they just blew the little things out of the water for most and made it clear in the language used that Azamara don't consider return guests as special, just, there and expected to be there.

Little things Azamara, not nasty fairground points to get a teddy. All of this is made worse because of the new points system, as I said earlier, if they want a younger group who are still working with commitements, this loyalty programme is no bait.

So sad, how can it be an enhancement when, as Phil says you have to pay more to get anything, now Explorer and below have absolutely nothing so why not just ditch those levels anyway. Get rid of the loyalty programme, that would be innovative. Make the perks free on every cruise for everyone (base level) and give loyalty with proper reductions and cruise certificates without all that daftness in the T and Cs.

Anyway hot air and wishes.

Larry is the man, sorry what's her name is the man, the one who designed the new innovative loyalty scheme. Sorry seem to have forgotten the name.

Sad

It does not seem good to me. Too many changes with Azamara caused me to stop taking cruises with them. I sail RCCL just because they leave from Port C in Fl. But I also sail Princess where I get the perks. I love the military OBC, free internet minutes and in a cruise or two I will get free laundry /and or dry cleaning, plus other perks on Princess. True the lines are different but I do enjoy Princess very much.

These arrogant changes in 'rewarding' their most loyal customers are so shocking, that I still cannot believe what I have read about the lost benefits.

Perhaps someone high in Azamara PR need to google a man called "Gerald Ratner" to understand the possible impact these new "benefits" could have on the future of Azamara.

I am Discoverer Plus level with three B2B cruises reserved for the end of 2015, and at this moment in time I am very close to cancelling my reservation. The only reason I have not emailed my TA to cancel is because I live in hope that common sense will prevail and in the coming days Azamara will listen to the voice of the masses here and reinstate the free internet and laundry.

The potential biggest value change here was made in such a cynical way.....the free nights.

We are soon to cross over a threshold after our first AZ cruise at $12K (after many X cruises). These free nights would be very meaningful $$$ (far more than many bags of laundry, or their worthless internet which is inoperable/slow/a joke). But we can't change our cruise history to make AZ 50% of our cruise points. Not for a long time. So this supposed benefit is WORTHLESS. And to require this when they only have 2 ships and lots of charters (and to have to book such free nights within a year) is disingenuous at best and cynical at worst.

Agree the other 'adds' are likely worthless as well.

So stupid....internet (bad as it is) is a fixed cost. Laundry is mostly a fixed cost. Angering so many for so little. It does really seem like they're looking for more revenue streams! Odd!

Hi Everyone,

I intentionally waited a while to post, and have our many dear friends share their insights first.

Sorry to say, but this is very disappointing news. Hard to imagine that Azamara took so long, had endless delays, made tons of excuses for the delays.... and THIS is the best they could up with ? While I hoped for the best - (that's just how I am), I feared the delays meant negative changes. Sadly, that's the case.

Even Azamara must have known this announcement would be trouble, when you see this verbiage on their webpage. "Mixed reactions" is an understatement :

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/our-ships/le-club-voyage/new-versus-old

We expect mixed reactions to the discontinued benefits. It wasn't an easy decision, but we believe it's the right long-term decision for our guests and brand. Look at it this way: you'll be earning points toward free nights instead of free laundry or Internet minutes. Plus stateroom upgrades, savings on select voyages, and other new benefits. As a Le Club Voyage member, we never want you to question your value to us...or our desire to create value for you.

Losing the complimentary laundry was an odd move, and couldn't have meant much in terms of $$$ in the grand scheme of things, but I could have lived with it. For me, eliminating the complimentary internet was a huge letdown, but probably saved Azamara tons of money - so there ya go. With many other brands offering various levels of complimentary internet, I can't see how Azamara could possibly think this would sit well with their faithful guests. That's simply not going to happen.

Dedicated LCV Ambassador : I can't see that as being something that will induce someone to book with Azamara. IMO, it's one of those cute things that really doesn't bring much to the table... but I hope it works out well for them.

A few bright points : Azamara is offering a discount on future cruises if booked onboard, and adding more points for Oceanview cabins (3 points vs 2 points) and Verandas (5 points vs 3 points), which BTW, is exactly what I suggested to Azamara a long time ago.

What's more troubling, is that this appears to be a cost-cutting move, and makes me wonder about Azamara's future. I always thought their prospects were good, but decisions such as this are concerning. I'm certainly not predicting gloom and doom ahead, but today's events aren't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. IMO, this is a step in the wrong direction, and I suspect that many of the Azamara faithful may look elsewhere.

At any rate, I wasn't planning to sail with Azamara for the forseeable future, so it's no big loss for my family, but I feel very bad for my many dear friends who enjoy sailing Azamara immensely.

What the biggest issue for me ? It's mostly how Azamara handled the whole darn thing, and, how they allowed this to get a green light, and possibly think we'd be pleased with the changes. It's a real smack in the face to those of us who care about Azamara so dearly. Over the years, I've always said how important an excellent loyalty program is, AND how much cruise lines should appreciate their guest's loyalty. Today's announcement doesn't accomplish either of those two critical goals. IMO, they took a relatively good loyalty program, and downgraded LCV into a mediocre loyalty program - at best.

Plea to Azamara : Initially, I hope you consider reinstating the complimentary internet benefit, while you re-think several elements of the program. It's not ready for prime time, and needs a great deal of work. I sincerely hope Azamara will give my suggestions serious consideration. I'd be happy to offer my assistance in any way possible !

Edited by Host Andy

"Mixed reactions" is an understatement :

Well there are some mixed reactions. They vary from strong distaste to vehement opposition.

Thanks for your usual wise take, Andy. You put it very clearly.

Edited by ECCruise

I was on Jpurney in Augsut and notihng was said anywhere. .this makes the le club voyager job easier with no laundry and free internet.. but i had no problem dining at ngiht in specality places.. i like 8 or later so it was easy. I still care more about laundry than internet as half the time it does not work.. wheni do lunch or dinner in port i look for free wifi as i can post pictures to facebook and friends.

but this was a stupid move and will wait and see whati can find for 2016 for cruies.

Robin, the new dining program was only recently announced. I'll be interested to know how it impacts your upcoming cruises. As for internet, we found it slow but generally working. It made it easier to take knowing that we had free minutes to spare; I'd be totally frustrated if I were paying for those slow minutes. And since we are able to cruise only once or twice a year, I don't want to spend my precious time in ports looking for free wifi spots.

And I completely agree that this new program was a very stupid move for Azamara if they really value their returning passengers. I also agree with all the posters who have remarked that this is a very obvious play for enhanced revenue, as you have to buy something to get (??) something.

mare

Robin, the new dining program was only recently announced. I'll be interested to know how it impacts your upcoming cruises. As for internet, we found it slow but generally working. It made it easier to take knowing that we had free minutes to spare; I'd be totally frustrated if I were paying for those slow minutes. And since we are able to cruise only once or twice a year, I don't want to spend my precious time in ports looking for free wifi spots.

i was on in August and heard nothing. had no problem with eating at 8 pm or alter. my prefered time. if on a sea day i had trouble with eating in Prime c i make them serve me at the bar as i tried the MDR 3 times- an d food was cold and serice... buffet once- cold or boring. if it became a problem i would be right to the HD and get it taken care of.

as far as internet i lsot over 200 minutes i nthe Uk -just could not get on.. as i eat lunch in port or when i can dinner i found in most cases i could get it in each bar. asia with all the sea days- i will right emails and post them in ports or wait to each cruise turn around.

And I completely agree that this new program was a very stupid move for Azamara if they really value their returning passengers. I also agree with all the posters who have remarked that this is a very obvious play for enhanced revenue, as you have to buy something to get (??) something.

mare

I am going to be looking at other lines for 2016 but not canceling what i have until i find a replacement.. the sad thing is after all these years they finally have a better winter 2016 for quest and i might leave. as others are leaving too. i already been looking..

also the so called entertainment on ship was the worse ever. cheap!!!

lastly i am doing land summer of 2015-ireland. who knows about summer 2016. it is winter hat always the problem liivng in mts. relly do not enjoy it