NCL Luggage - not putting address on mine !

bryanjaync

Not everyone can do this but I own my own business and put that address on my luggage tags. I only put my cell phone # on it also. I also only use First initials, Never my first name. Can't be too careful.

Last year a group of criminals in our area were at a local mall using a license plates tracking system to get owners names & address and they knew they weren't home. They made a call to others in the crime ring who robbed the houses. So yes all kinds of things are possible. Maybe not probable BUT possible.

Good idea. I own a business too, but I work from home.

Too bad the thieves in your town didn't have a contact in the airport. It could have been easier and given them more time to rob houses.

Everyone has to do what they are comfort doing. My TA is my emergency contact person and I may be the only person in the world that does not own or want a cell phone.

I respect your opinion on the cell phone. your choice.

BUT:

What if somebody needs to call your TA? Will they be there to answer. Emergency contact for what?

And, if they (ship, airline, TA, home) need to contact you, how will they do that?

Sounds pretty much like the old days. No contact.

You're not the only one who doesn't have or want a cell phone, I'm #4 to check in here :)

I get it.

But, we are also a family of 4 generations and not one of us has a land line including 84 year gram... no land line for 6 years. See no reason to have one.

This week, our friends left on a Med Cruise. Luggage did not turn up at Venice. They bought a few things to get them on the cruise. Luggage tags had their home address on it, so lost luggage usually gets sent home. My friend called her travel agent who was able to track down luggage and have it routed to their next port of call. Happy ending:)

So many problems and so many solutions - - -

First off not having ANY identification on your baggage/luggage it is possible

that those items maybe subject to more intense security checks and could

result in having you and your bag not making a scheduled event. Not nice

to mess with the government TSA !

Second best to have an itinerary and address identification INSIDE your

checked baggage in case the baggage loses it handle with baggage check.

The bag can be opened even if locked and an effort made to reunite it with owner.

Third NCL provides cheap computer printed baggage checks - simply make

a few more copies and put two of those bag checks on each piece in case

one gets torn off or unreadable (bags with wheels often have a handle at the

top and one at the side - tag both).

Fourth do not use a third party for helping mate you back with your bag -

Are they going to be there timely to help (unless you have a 24/7/365 TA) ?

Fifth address and phone ID on the outside is not such a bad idea - just make

sure it is covered with covered flap and not out in the open for a crook to

get a passing glance at it. Phone numbers can be cracked with a reverse phone

directory - cell phones perhaps.

Sixth cell phone use is great but only in an area where it is not going to cost

to use it and IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THE PHONE TURNED ON !

Seventh email addresses fine - but again are you going to be at a point for

email reception while a search is made for your bag ?

Eighth remember to keep all medicines eye glasses contacts and vital documents

(passport) with you and not in checked baggage.

Ninth if you have a communist comrade large plain black bag with no other

visible markings watch how easy it is to get confused with another similar

large communist comrades bag ! People people put something funny on your

bag make the color black stand-OUT (maybe 6 feet of logging chain) try lugging

that out of a claim area without getting some attention - well you get the idea !

Tenth so you naughty kitten you have lost your mittens - well by golly report

the mishandling (loss) of your baggage PROMPTLY ! Don't wait - get all the

search and rescue people to work on this pronto. Best to have picture of what

your baggage looks like and where it was last handled (seen) - details details

just the facts Madam !

Eleventh If using a porter or other source in checking and helping with your

baggage remember the TIP - don't come to the wrong conclusion here - but

a bag that the owner tips for handling is getting more care than one without.

Twelfth Remember to allow adequate time for all checked luggage to catch up

with you. You have mobility while your baggage needs help at every stage of

your itinerary. Plan the impossible and your baggage and you are most apt to

get separated - and allow time for recovery to take place to reunite !

So go ahead and "Make my Day" !

Just ignore all this a silly nonsense !

As I have posted elsewhere in this forum I have worked behind a major airline

ticket counter for a number of years and working lost and found was not one

of the best places to work - but if you like a challenge in helping folks recover

from bad things happening to good people well at least heed some of things

I have noted above !

So many problems and so many solutions - - -

Thank you for taking your time to write this - you made a lot of good points that I will think about when going on my next cruise in a few weeks. I live in Europe, and my cruise starts and ends at a US port - so burglary of my home is not my concern (plus I live in a "secure" apartment building). But I am always afraid of loosing my baggage, and some of your tips are certainly good regarding making that less likely to happen. :)

As for the printed ship luggage tags, I modify one to include our surname and cell # and print several, depending on how many pieces we take.

On top of that, I create and print our travel itinerary - air, hotels, ship, etc and our email addresses and cell phone #s - no home address or phone - and print copies and put one in side pocket of each piece of luggage.

We also have hard luggage tags with paper inserts. On one side of paper has our surname and it visible. On the other side it has the country where we live and cell #. That's it. No home address at all.

We always lock our bags with TSA approved locks. A few times when we reach our destination we find one bag had been opened and searched - TSA leaves a note on top inside bag.

We have been doing that for years.

Edited by bluesea777

Everyone has to do what they are comfort doing. My TA is my emergency contact person and I may be the only person in the world that does not own or want a cell phone.

Not the only one, I cruise to avoid being bothered by anyone for any reason. So far the world has been just fine not hearing from me or contacting me for weeks at a time. Also not looking to buy a new watch next year.

We do not put our home address or phone number (which is unlisted) on luggage anymore. If anything, we use dh's office phone # and address. His partner/secretaries are there when we are away. We also don't even lock our luggage anymore. We use twist ties, and bring extras to use for the return trip home. Nothing of major value to take in my luggage! Good stuff is in my carryon, which never leaves my side until we are in the cabin/room. If someone wants to walk around in my undies and bras, let them! I leave my "favorite" outfits at home, and make do with my second favorites on a cruise, just in case. Have been fortunate enough never to have lost a piece of luggage. We used to cross-pack (some of each of our stuff in each other's bags, just in case) but even gave that up recently.

Yes. A lot of folks including us feel the same about putting address on luggage but what do is put a large piece of paper inside luggage on top of everything with itinerary.

IE airline to hotel dates, hotel to ship dates. Then on opposite side of paper do the same for coming home.

Most people don't know that the barcoded tags that airlines use are only active for 24 hours, after that your luggage has to be manually tracked, we know this from dealing with lost luggage that went astray and never got it back till weeks after our trip.

I do the same. I even have different tags that are homemade for going

Then I rip them off

And put a return tag on for the trip home

I cover them in clear contact

I hole punch them before the trip

I attach with zip ties

I bring extra zip ties

I bring extra going and coming laminate tags too

Btw. I just print out maybe 2 sheets

Each sheet has the Info on it several times

Just cut and laminate!

Oh and we don't check luggage ever.

It is always by our sides

The tags are always hanging inward so as to not display info to the public

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I have probably the cheapest and dumbest smartphone on the market and it's always OFF unless I need to make a call or I'm expecting a call.

Totally agree that cellphone use is out of control. It's turned us into a nation of co-dependent useless info junkies. :p

But when I'm traveling I'm usually alone, and I feel better knowing I have the capability to access email or the Web if I need to.

Reading all this, I'm rethinking my address on luggage tags. I do put it on a card on top of everything inside the suitcase.

The invention of the cell phone is probably the best invention to date

Just for the safety and security if nothing more

Plus I think it is incredible that we have every single bit of knowledge known to man just a click away

Flame away but I don't get the distaste for cellphone ownership and usage.

Btw cell phone usage and texting do not cause car accidents. The idiot owners of the phones do. Changing a cd. Drinking coffee. Etc while driving are irresponsible as well if you don't drive with caution

The invention of the cell phone is probably the best invention to date

Just for the safety and security if nothing more

Plus I think it is incredible that we have every single bit of knowledge known to man just a click away

Flame away but I don't get the distaste for cellphone ownership and usage.

Btw cell phone usage and texting do not cause car accidents. The idiot owners of the phones do. Changing a cd. Drinking coffee. Etc while driving are irresponsible as well if you don't drive with caution

No argument with you here. Cellphones are amazing for putting the intelligence of the world at our fingertips.

Where I draw the line is when they become addictive and aid people in tuning out reality -- it seems nobody is in the moment anymore because they're always communicating with someone who isn't there. That often crosses the line into rudeness to those who ARE there.

How did we ever buy groceries without calling someone from a pay phone, when that's all we had?

For me, smartphone is a must for travel emergencies, but not for keeping in touch with those I left behind as if I'm still back home. I travel to get away from them. :D

There are countries in this world where using a cell phone in public is saying "I am rich, please rob me."

that's not even close to being true... most of the ships employees have cell phones now.. if you go where there is free wifi right off the ship half the crew is there txting home

and in a lot of countries cell towers are easier to put up instead of phone lines without the FCC in the way

so many more people outside the US have cell phones and no land based home phones

:oWhoops should have kept reading. I'm now the third person in the world without a cell phone.

Make me number 4... I have to answer a phone at work all day, and the last thing I want is to get in my car to go home and make/take more phone calls! I owned one of those things when they were pretty new and it was still cool to have one. It just became really clear that between a work phone and a home phone, I didn't need any more phones in my life! Some of the apps are slick, like remote check deposit at the bank, but again I drive past B of A every day. The smart phones have become the newest addiction!

I seldom use a telephone when I'm away from work. I have a cellphone, an old-fashioned flip phone, that I use only to make telephone calls when I'm away from the house. That happens only for automotive emergencies and vacations. I have a landline at home, where people who want to reach me can leave messages. Both phones are cheaper than any smartphone plan that includes an answering service.

I seldom use a telephone when I'm away from work. I have a cellphone, an old-fashioned flip phone, that I use only to make telephone calls when I'm away from the house. That happens only for automotive emergencies and vacations. I have a landline at home, where people who want to reach me can leave messages. Both phones are cheaper than any smartphone plan that includes an answering service.

So? Not everyone feels that cheaper is better you know

While I prefer to book insides and ovs for cost purposes with my large family I am realistic enough to value the benefit of smart phones over basic flip phones

I chuckle when I hear people disparage smartphone use because I chalk it up to the fact they just don't understand the benefits of a smartphone

Before anyone goes nuts over my comment please note that I do not condone texting/ talking while driving

We still read from hardcover books in my home versus online books.

And my family is educated enough to hold intelligent conversation and my kids can actually speak coherently all the while looking you in the eye! Lol

I'm lucky. I put my office phone number and office address on the outside tag and also a business card stapled to the inside..... That way my secretary can handle while I'm away if an emergency.

Another way of handling it is to put your emergency contact person's phone number and address on the tag.

I also include an email address

OP: This thread is not about the virtues/vices of cell phones.

The purpose was to discuss the wisdom and implications of having your home address on luggage tags.

Cell phones are indirectly related to the topic. A phone number is often included on these tags. Who would someone call when your luggage is lost? The desk phone sitting at home alone?

Besides, you even included "iPhone" in your original post.

As for the luggage tag info... your travel info is already out there for someone to scrape and then send their gang of bad guys to your house. Also consider the cab driver who just loaded 7 days worth of crap for 4 adults into his car at your house. I'd be more concerned about him than someone 2,000 miles away. And your luggage tags have zero to do with that. Consider all the "advertising" people do, both here on CC and social media. People can't get off that stupid Facebook... posting incessantly about every moment of their trip from the moment they book the cruse, who's going, when, where, how long, what flight we're on.... no luggage tags there, either. Tweeting and tweeting inane details - these tweeters give crooks a minute by minute timeline -- enough for them to have margaritas in your kitchen.

Luggage tags are the least of your worries.

Edited by triptolemus

So? Not everyone feels that cheaper is better you know...I chuckle when I hear people disparage smartphone use because I chalk it up to the fact they just don't understand the benefits of a smartphone

Yowser, not sure I deserved that. I don't see how you infered any disparagement on my part from my post, which just indicated what works for me. Anyway, to bring this back to the original purpose of the topic, I just use a friend's or family member's address, whom I know will be home. I also use my work telephone. Again, it works for me. YMMV.

You should NEVER, EVER put your home address on luggage! If you must put an address, use your business address....someone is always there during shipping hours!

Your home address is an invitation to potential thieves as your luggage says "I'm not home"!

You should NEVER, EVER put your home address on luggage! If you must put an address, use your business address....someone is always there during shipping hours!

Your home address is an invitation to potential thieves as your luggage says "I'm not home"!

....someone is always there during shipping hours!

Ya ya ya like 24/7/365 including holidays etc.

Well I certainly hope that you are placing identification and itinerary INSIDE

your baggage if skipping the OUTSIDE.

Airlines and other transportation industry sources just love it when presented

with a puzzle - NO Handle - No ID - let see found in remote airport area and

we open the bag on not a shread of a clue as to where the customer bags

needs to go to be reunited and I must say TIMELY !

The same could happen on or near a cruise ship - the handle with tissue

paper bag tags get torn asunder and the mystery of the tag-less handle-less

bag become urgent because someone is missing their worldly clothing -

Gee I have nothing to wear !

Good heavens if you don't have ID (covered if necessary) on the OUTSIDE of

your luggage then have it INSIDE !