Which Southern Carribean Port To Avoid !

piinc

What a wonderful but difficult decision to have to make. Frankly, I like a very earlier posters idea of just taking a short tour on one or two of the islands. A short trip to Phillipsburg on St. Maartins would be a likely candidate for me. But don't miss Barbados it's my absolute fave....I have told Dudette that if she pre-deceases me, my new address will be Barbados.

Oh my....ST.Lucia is one of my favorite ports..it's beautiful...friendly people..did private tours....we had lunch at the tour guides mothers house..in such a gorgeous setting....and wonderful food...please experience St.Lucia.......also did the pitons and the mud baths...felt so good...the had a boat tour take us back to port...wish I could remember the name of the tour CO. But if research it you will find a good one......

Again have a super time!!!,

Edited by preschool teacher

We've been to all of these ports, some more than once, except for St. Croix, so I wouldn't choose that.

I'd [probably choose to stay on board at St. Maarten because it is on so many itineraries. Otherwise I'd choose a tendering port, but I don't think you have any on this trip.

However, we always get off and at least walk around for a while, even on a port-intensive cruise like this, even though we really do like sea days.

Hi all!

We've just booked a southern carribean cruise through royal caribbean jewel of the sea in mid october, starting from:

San Juan, PR ->St. Croix, USVI -> Philipsburg St. Maarten -> St. John's Antigua -> Castries, St. Lucia -> Bridgetown, Barbados

Problem: This is a very active itinerary with only 1 day at sea. If you were to choose one island port to stay onboard and relax, which would you suggest and why?

Thank you for your input. :)

Stay with a group, you should be OK.

I would have a hard time skipping any of the ports if it was my first time there. However, I have no desire to return to St. Croix any time soon or any time at all for that matter.

Agree with both statements. We spent our honeymoon in St Croix. Bleh. So, I have a tiny interest in returning for personal reasons, but otherwise, no.

If you plan to cruise frequently, I agree that St Marten shows up more often than the others, ESP if you want a FL departure. But it is a lovely island with delightful people.

Curious also why St. Croix & St. Lucia are out.

St. Lucia I think is just beautiful, I’ve never had any trouble there, and we’ve done excursions and just walked around.

I would avoid Antigua’s port area and find a beach and head right there, we were walking around and a guy came up to us and said “you better hold on to her” he was referring to my DD (13 at the time). However, we did the sting ray excursion before and it was great.

I don’t much care for Barbados, maybe I’m not doing the right thing. Did a catamaran snorkel trip, I’ve also checked out the town, surrounding areas. I think it is the most industrial looking island, so that is the one I would skip, I will still get off and check out the shops etc. at the port area that is our plan on our next cruise.

Thank you all for the replies. My email provider wasn't showing me any replies so I have lots to read. We're flying in early to be in Old San Juan but I know I read a post somewhere here that it's not very nice. We're in the process of booking excursions so I'll read all the replies here and then tally up the results of what I've read. Is anyone else on this trip coming up?

Thank you all for the replies. My email provider wasn't showing me any replies so I have lots to read. We're flying in early to be in Old San Juan but I know I read a post somewhere here that it's not very nice. We're in the process of booking excursions so I'll read all the replies here and then tally up the results of what I've read. Is anyone else on this trip coming up?

I don't know who told you that. I think Old San Juan is great. We love walking around the city and exploring the forts.

We love Old San Juan too; it's charming and interesting and I have always felt safe. We've enjoyed the beach area as well. Just use common sense as in any big city.

Personally, I too think this is a great itinerary and I did a similar one on my first cruise. Since St Maarten is also on some Eastern Caribbean itineraries, I would save it for another cruise and use that as your ship day if you really feel you want another onboard day.

Miss St Marten and you miss Maho Bay and the planes landing right over your head. One of the coolest things I have ever done. I agree with the others-the Southern Caribbean itinerary offers to much to stay on the ship even for one day. Enjoy the day-get back on the ship early and enjoy the ship too....

We are having a similar debate for our proposed Carnival Liberty Southern Carib itinerary as 5 ports in 6 days is not very relaxing. The sea day is at the beginning of the trip with only 1 port before it then 4 straight port days to end the trip. We are going back and forth between St. Lucia or St. Kitts to stay on board and enjoy an uncrowded ship.

For me, no way would I skip St. Thomas, Barbados or St. Maarten so that leaves St. Lucia or St. Kitts by default. This thread was helpful in that so many singled out St. Lucia as somewhere they would skip.

OP - you may want to browse through the port of call boards for more in depth discussions on some of the tours or beach options available on the islands included in your itinerary.