Help! Flights for our Christmas Cruise were just cancelled

jajsmom

As the title says, I just found out that US Airways cancelled our flights, both ways, for our Christmas cruise. I happened to be checking the website and noticed our flights weren't there so I called. They didn't even have the decency to contact us.

Anyways, I'm in pacnic mode now. I did get them to agree to cancel our flights as they changed all of our flights. I researched other airlines, and found that we could fly into FLL on Southwest for $300 less, but then I don't know what to do about a hotel, as I can't find hotel availability in FLL (we need 3 beds, as I have a teenaged boy and girl.) We currently have a hotel booked by MIA, with perfect sleeping accommodations.

I need advice as to what to do as I'm not thinking straight right now. We could:

--keep the currently changed flights on US Airways. The flights are sold out, and they have scatted us all over the plane. The flight times are both ~2 hrs later than our previously booked flights.

--switch to Southwest flying into FLL. Less money, but more money and time to travel on the ground. Not sure if we should keep our current hotel by MIA and the sleeping accommodations work best. We had planned to just use taxi's to get around. Now, not sure if we should look into rental cars.

Thanks for any input. I haven't even spoken to DH yet, as he's at work and hard to reach. Oh, and we're sailing out of POM.

So in your choices you mention you are now on other US flights? (but you said you cancelled the flights):confused:

I think for me if the hotel is already booked and it is perfect for your group and you will be IN the sailing port for the next day, I wouldn't worry so much about losing time with later flights. I'd probably just go with it as it stands now.

Run the numbers. And research hotels asap. And transfers to POM from Ft Lauderdale. Yep a lot on your plate. Figure out the value of the inconvenience and your time.

You can find lots of info for FLL to POM shuttle,limo servive right here. Go through the posts. Fly into FLL and shuttle to your hotel in Miami. All your travel will be behind you, all thats left is to get up on cruise day and go to the port.

Our US Airways flights were also cancelled which we found out by checking their website. US Airways are in the process of merging with American Airlines. We weren't notified either but I suspect that would have happened in time.

By speaking with US Airways the booking was switched to American Airlines for flights that are close to the times of our original flights.

If anyone else has flights booked with US Airways best to check they are still valid.

Edited by Noxequifans

I would fly southwest into FLL. Look into SAS transportation into Miami. We used them from the airport to get to Miami hotels and they were wonderful. They called us as soon as our flight landed and told us where to find them. I would keep the hotel in Miami because why change more than what you need to?! SAS seems to be one of the cheapest ways to get to Miami that I have found without renting a car. Which I really do not like to do. Good luck!!!

--switch to Southwest flying into FLL. Less money, but more money and time to travel on the ground. Not sure if we should keep our current hotel by MIA and the sleeping accommodations work best. We had planned to just use taxi's to get around. Now, not sure if we should look into rental cars.

Switch to SW (did you figure the free bags on SW into your comparison?) and bank the savings - getting from FLL to downtown Miami is easy. :cool: The trip takes about 40-45 minutes. Arriving in the afternoon or evening a taxi (about $80) or car service (about $90 from Go Airport) may be your best bet. You do not want a rental car in downtown Miami or Miami Beach - parking is expensive (most hotels charge guests $25-30+/day :eek:) and traffic is horrible.

Good luck! :)

If you purchased travel insurance that covered your entire trip (incl air) you insurance may cover your increased expenses ie your loss....

This would not be coverage purchased thru the Cruiseline but outside coverage... Just thinkin!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP here. I've calmed down somewhat now, and just want to share what happened. I finally reached DH, and during that time, the SW flights went up over $100. As some have mentioned, take into account the free bags on SW, which I did, and I also included the cost of EBCI on SW, which we always get.

At US Airways, I was given permission to cancel our flights without penalty because they changed our flights both ways. After thinking about it, we preferred to fly directly into MIA for the convenience, and a hotel that would accommodate the 4 of us was a big plus.

Speaking to the US Airways agent, I learned that there are many schedule changes in the works and coming. I was told that I probably would have been notified of these changes within the next three weeks. But now that I was able to know of the changes earlier, I was able to make seat changes putting us closer together on the plane. As more changes are expected to come, I will check my flights daily to see if we have been shuffled again. It sounds like this has happened to others too, as Noxeqifans has said this happened to them.

I would highly recommend anyone traveling on US Airways or American to check their flights, and to do it frequently, as there are more expected changes coming. And you will not be notified immediately.

Thanks for all of the replies!

This is typical of many USA based airlines not only American and US Air. They move you to other flights or even cancel and don't notify you.

When you say they cancelled your flights I believe what you mean is they have switched you to other flights and this happens all the time.

I hope you are still flying in the day before the cruise.

Keith

Some further info about our tickets. When we discovered that our US Airways flights no longer existed our booking had not been transferred to any other flight. They were in limbo so to speak. Thank goodness we check all reservations frequently.

This is typical of many USA based airlines not only American and US Air. They move you to other flights or even cancel and don't notify you.

When you say they cancelled your flights I believe what you mean is they have switched you to other flights and this happens all the time.

I hope you are still flying in the day before the cruise.

Keith

Yep, Delta is really good at this too! Unfortunately this is why once you book a flight you must keep an eye on it. This is also why I choose to fly directly into FLL with southwest. At least if I get delayed it's still a direct flight. Plus southwest doesn't seem to be so bad with this.

us air and American have a habit of doing this. They changed my inlaws flight to Phx (first class) for my DD wedding without any notice, thankfully I caught it. American tends to do the same--they are a pain. Hope you have success with rebooking.

Yep, Delta is really good at this too! Unfortunately this is why once you book a flight you must keep an eye on it. This is also why I choose to fly directly into FLL with southwest. At least if I get delayed it's still a direct flight. Plus southwest doesn't seem to be so bad with this.

This has happened to me on virtually all of my flights that I booked over 6 months ahead of time. Except on SW - they do not release their schedule more than about 5-6 months ahead of time, thus they seldom (if ever) change the schedule.

DaveOKC