Live from Journey - all is well

excitedofharpenden

I told a story here a little while ago which happened in Giardini Naxos, Sicily when I was on another cruise on Azamara Journey earlier this year. We were tendered there coincidentally with Oceania Nautica. Captain Johannes announced we would leave half an hour early so that we could get to Stromboli and circumnavigate the island at around 11pm after the show in the hope of seeing some lava explosions in the dark. I will always remember that experience. Perfectly timed and wow, what a sight it was. We got to our next port, Amalfi and Nautica was already there, having left Sicily after us. She wouldn't have experienced what we did.

Phil

Other similar examples:

Captain Johannes making several unscheduled stops on this past June's fjords cruise to pick up special Norwegian goat cheeses to be served at dinner in the buffet, and hundreds of pounds of fresh Norwegian strawberries served another night as Strawberries Melba in every restaurant and buffet, and then sending a small boat out to catch hundreds of pounds of fresh hake and cod to be served as a third night's special.

Captain Carl, on a trans-Atlantic, offering to host a star-gazing session on top deck forward with running lights turned off, and, later in the cruise, offering a tutorial on celestial navigation, also at night on the top deck.

We were on the Quest for a cruise that became known as the Magical Mystery Cruise. Ports changed due to unrest and then we had weather change other ports. When we could not tender in two of our ports, Captain Carl found a great port for us and was able to get us into a very small space in what looked like a Marina versus a cruise ship dock. There were 4 other ships that were supposed to be with us .....two ended up taking sea days and two went to Naples. All of the tours were re-arranged and Captain Carl even took anyone interested out on a walk in the new port. I have never seen that elsewhere.

Bill....please wish them our best! We are passing through London on our way to Prague tomorrow. Juliana and Chris were the best!

Great to hear that our Guests are having a good time onboard the Journey.

In addition to having the privilege of working with a Superb multi national crew........

One of the many reasons I Love working for Azamara is the freedom given to us as Captains by our CEO Larry Pimentel. We are allowed to make common sense decision instead of being "remote controlled". I have never once been questioned about change of ports due to weather and any other changes to the itinerary.

Larry said to me long time ago that as long as it makes sense and it enhance the guest experience, then go ahead.

By the way, this is my first post ever........

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Let's spread these examples round the Captains - Captain Jason making it clear we did not do position 9/12 to the authorities in Rio, getting us all back on board promptly and putting the foot on the pedal so we arrived and were given front row for the New Year fireworks of Copacabana

And on that romantic night we spotted for the first time a certain Chris's interest in Julianna

In addition to having the privilege of working with a Superb multi national crew........

One of the many reasons I Love working for Azamara is the freedom given to us as Captains by our CEO Larry Pimentel. We are allowed to make common sense decision instead of being "remote controlled". I have never once been questioned about change of ports due to weather and any other changes to the itinerary.

Larry said to me long time ago that as long as it makes sense and it enhance the guest experience, then go ahead.

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Big big welcome to our first time poster

I am absolutely loving this thread. So many positive reminders of why we too love Azamara. We've never had the pleasure of cruising with Captain Johannes (we are sort of addicted to the Quest) but must say that Captain Carl and Captain Jose are wonderful and the crew (as Captain Johannes pointed out) are superb!

Thank you.

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Welcome to cruise critic, Captain Johannes.

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Welcome Captain Johannes. Good to see you here!

With reference to our Great Crew.

I have filled in on Quest 3 times in the past, the Officers and Crew are Superb on both ships. I'm often asked by Guests what the difference is between Journey and Quest.............my answer, the onboard Art Work.

Cannes today, Monaco tomorrow.

Another thing I like about working here, 130+ different ports a year.

Regards

Johannes

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Onre of the main reasons i sail on your ship's is the fact you deiced not MIA what is safe and where we shoyld go instead. Sailed under 5 Captains and love you all. Thank you again for our seafood lunch.. Wonderful memeory. .you must be very happy for Julianna and Chris.

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Hello Captain Johannes,

So wonderful to hear that you are taking such good care of Phil et al.

We are so looking forward to being with you on November 6. Do you think you could organise some good weather for us?

Welcome to the Forum Captain Johannes. How lovely to see you posting here.

Hazel (Spursgirl) and I have experience of Captain Carl also being able to change an itinerary at short notice because of bad weather.....much to our delight at the time, I must say!

I am also looking forward to my first cruise on Journey, November 6th with Hazel and this is after many cruises on my favourite Quest. Journey has a lot to live up to....but I'm sure she will. :)

Yes, the crew on Azamara are special and the Captains go out of their way to make our vacations memorable.

We loved going through the Fjords with Captain Johannes and stopping for cheese and picking up extra fish for the BBQ.

I don't know of any other cruise line that does this. This is what keeps us coming home to Azamara.

Lauri

Great to hear that our Guests are having a good time onboard the Journey…..

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Welcome aboard Captain. I am glad to see that you finally took the plunge. We will see you onboard too unless you are having some time off in January.

Welcome to the Forum Captain Johannes. How lovely to see you posting here.

Hazel (Spursgirl) and I have experience of Captain Carl also being able to change an itinerary at short notice because of bad weather.....much to our delight at the time, I must say!

I am also looking forward to my first cruise on Journey, November 6th with Hazel and this is after many cruises on my favourite Quest. Journey has a lot to live up to....but I'm sure she will. :)

Lottie, I was a diehard Quest fan as Quest was my very first Azamara cruise but I have to say after two sailings on Journey my line of thought now mirrors Captain Johannes: the only difference between the two is the artwork. You will love both Journey and Quest just as much, trust me. Happy sails to you!

For those interested check Cynthia Wolff and Juliana's Facebook pages. When we were on Journey in September Tiago asked many of the staff to sign a wedding card, which we gave to her last night. A picture of it is on Cynthia Wolff's Facebook page.

It's a beautiful day in Vegas this morning. The ceremony is at 7 PM tonight!

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

Hello Johannes,

A huge welcome to Cruise Critic ! So nice to have you visiting with us. I'm certain that our wonderful community members will appreciate and enjoy your insights.

We look forward to future updates, when time permits. Welcome Aboard !

Edited by Host Andy

Lottie, I was a diehard Quest fan as Quest was my very first Azamara cruise but I have to say after two sailings on Journey my line of thought now mirrors Captain Johannes: the only difference between the two is the artwork. You will love both Journey and Quest just as much, trust me. Happy sails to you!

Thank you Deirdre. I am sure you are right! :)

For those interested check Cynthia Wolff and Juliana's Facebook pages. When we were on Journey in September Tiago asked many of the staff to sign a wedding card, which we gave to her last night. A picture of it is on Cynthia Wolff's Facebook page.

It's a beautiful day in Vegas this morning. The ceremony is at 7 PM tonight!

I have looekd but has not shown up yet.. will look again later today

See you onboard!

Regards

Johannes

It's so great to have you join us Captain Johannes!

Let's spread these examples round the Captains - Captain Jason making it clear we did not do position 9/12 to the authorities in Rio, getting us all back on board promptly and putting the foot on the pedal so we arrived and were given front row for the New Year fireworks of Copacabana

As an FYI, I have just drafted an article about Captain Jason that should be live in two weeks or so. It is fun to try to capture his humor and wit in the story, and of course his competence and mastery of vessel. Stand by for more :)

Bonnie

uktog has it right. If it had been an Aida, Celebrity, Silverseas or any other ship I would tell it the same way as a comparison. Certainly not meant as a gratuitous insult. Purely a highlight of why I love to cruise with Azamara.

I told a story here a little while ago which happened in Giardini Naxos, Sicily when I was on another cruise on Azamara Journey earlier this year. We were tendered there coincidentally with Oceania Nautica. Captain Johannes announced we would leave half an hour early so that we could get to Stromboli and circumnavigate the island at around 11pm after the show in the hope of seeing some lava explosions in the dark. I will always remember that experience. Perfectly timed and wow, what a sight it was. We got to our next port, Amalfi and Nautica was already there, having left Sicily after us. She wouldn't have experienced what we did.

It's things like this that make the cruising experience even more special.

Phil

Well on my very first trip past Stromboli, Oceania had a deck gathering for our passage by Stromboli and we happened to have a passenger onboard who was an astronomer who gave us a lovely viewing of the night sky during that gathering as well. Certainly not planned.

Please understand that I also really enjoy sailing on Azamara and that is the reason why I participate on this forum. However, in praising it or Oceania in my posts, I am careful never to do so at the expense of the other line.

Why should I? Azamara stands out on its own merits and does not need this kind of dissing of other lines by its advocates. One really can enjoy more than one cruise line.

Edited by CintiPam

With reference to our Great Crew.

I have filled in on Quest 3 times in the past, the Officers and Crew are Superb on both ships. I'm often asked by Guests what the difference is between Journey and Quest.............my answer, the onboard Art Work.

Cannes today, Monaco tomorrow.

Another thing I like about working here, 130+ different ports a year.

Regards

Johannes

Wow, it is so exciting to have you participate on this forum. Welcome aboard! :)

One of the many reasons I Love working for Azamara is the freedom given to us as Captains by our CEO Larry Pimentel. By the way, this is my first post ever........See you onboard! Regards Johannes

Thanks for posting. We will be on Journey for Christmas/New Year's. :)

See you on board soon, Capt Johannes. And your twin brother, as well. Looking forward to a wonderful sailing November 6th. All the Azamara Captains have been wonderful in their own way. and I know we all appreciate them.

Cheryl