New NCL President & Chief Operating Officer

trfccruiser

NCL have appointed Drew Madsen as the new head to replace Kevin Sheehan who apparently announced that after acquiring Oceania and Regent Seven Seas,he would not be head of all 3 and each would have individual heads,so presumably he plans to head up one of the smaller lines.Interesting, as he was a major driver for change at NCL.

Restaurant veteran is tapped for Norwegian Cruise Line presidency

NCL have appointed Drew Madsen as the new head to replace Kevin Sheehan who apparently announced that after acquiring Oceania and Regent Seven Seas,he would not be head of all 3 and each would have individual heads,so presumably he plans to head up one of the smaller lines.Interesting, as he was a major driver for change at NCL.

Restaurant veteran is tapped for Norwegian Cruise Line presidency

I have just gone back and re-read the press release from Norwegian yesterday. What is says is that Drew Madsen becomes President and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line WHILE Kevin Sheehan becomes President and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

Edited by www3traveler

I have just gone back and re-read the press release from Norwegian yesterday. What is says is that Drew Madsen becomes President and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line WHILE Kevin Sheehan becomes President and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

Interesting that's not how Seatrader painted it and it has been mentioned that Kevin Sheehan didn't see himself becoming boss of all 3 lines but seemingly that is exatly what he now is and Drew is just NCL itself.

I don't see this as good news. Darden Restaurant groups former COO. If the idea of Olive Garden, Red Lobster and the like are good, you might just love what is to come. IMHO there isn't much worse than any of the Darden restaurants. YMMV.....:eek:

Interesting that's not how Seatrader painted it and it has been mentioned that Kevin Sheehan didn't see himself becoming boss of all 3 lines but seemingly that is exatly what he now is and Drew is just NCL itself.

I disagree. Seatrade Insider got it right. Perhaps you're not familiar with the NCLH organizational chart and the details of the PCH acquisition, but this announcement is exactly what was expected from the day the acquisition was announced. Sheehan has never said he wasn't going to continue to head NCLH...he said he wasn't going to head the NCL brand.

From the Seatrade Insider article:

"During an interview on Sept. 2, the day the Prestige Cruises International acquisition was announced, Norwegian Cruise Holdings president and CEO Sheehan told Seatrade Insider he did not plan to continue serving as president for the Norwegian brand. Instead, he said he envisioned Norwegian, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises would have individual brand leaders."

Edited by njhorseman

I don't see this as good news. Darden Restaurant groups former COO. If the idea of Olive Garden, Red Lobster and the like are good, you might just love what is to come. IMHO there isn't much worse than any of the Darden restaurants. YMMV.....:eek:

Definitely Walmart level ... and not at all good.

Oh, boy. Here we go again.

Sheehan had good ideas, followed through, and seemed to lend the stability NCL sorely needed.

Back in the late '90s, NCL had a patch where they were swapping out presidents like so many dirty old socks. Then along came Veitch, who managed to last a while, but left them with that bizarre white elephant, Epic.

Sorry to hear that Madsen has Darden in his background. It doesn't bode well on so many levels, it makes you wonder what they're thinking.

The information I posted was from the press release from Norwegian posted yesterday on their website. If you want to read what it says go to: (1) Norwegian's website, (2) Corporate Banner, (3) Media Center, (4) Financial Press Release.

This information is in the top press release.

Over the years many have compared NCL's food to the likes of Olive Garden anyway.

And since Red Lobster was also part of that restaurant group perhaps the new NCL COO will reintroduce lobster tails to the MDR.

Actually Madsen sounds like a perfect fit now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

Seriously...let's not forget that Sheehan was an accountant, and he managed to learn about the cruise line industry. Let's give the new COO a chance.

Edited by njhorseman

Madsen's LinkedIn profile indicates he left Darden in November 2013.

Of course, there was just a bloodbath of Darden's board. The entire board was voted out and replaced by a dissident shareholder slate.

Perhaps Madsen saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could.

Over the years many have compared NCL's food to the likes of Olive Garden anyway.

And since Red Lobster was also part of that restaurant group perhaps the new NCL COO will reintroduce lobster tails to the MDR.

Actually Madsen sounds like a perfect fit now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

Seriously...let's not forget that Sheehan was an accountant, and he managed to learn about the cruise line industry. Let's give the new COO a chance.

Well, if he brings over the cheese biscuits from Red Lobster, then its all good. [emoji12]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Well, if he brings over the cheese biscuits from Red Lobster, then its all good. [emoji12]

That I would agree with!

I am not a RL regular, just tag along occasionally with relatives who enjoy it, but man, those biscuits are great.

What happens to one publicly traded company does not necessarily mean the same thing will happen at the next. The president answers to a board of directors in each case and at times that has more to do with it than anything.

Kevin S. is not going to intentionally damage his brand or try to put NCL out of business. He has an idea why he hired this guy. Until something changes, I would not fret to much about who is coming on board. Kevin S. is still at the top of the overall heap and I don't think he is going to let if fail.

Love the biscuits.:D

I was thinking they could introduce the $100 all you can eat salad and breadsticks package on a cruise in La Cucina.

If you haven't seen them, they actually sell a package in some stores of those. Our DD made some on Sunday for dinner. They also sell the Olive Garden dressing.

I was thinking they could introduce the $100 all you can eat salad and breadsticks package on a cruise in La Cucina.

If they sell $3-5 cheese biscuit baskets in La Cucina, I am so there!!

If you haven't seen them, they actually sell a package in some stores of those. Our DD made some on Sunday for dinner. They also sell the Olive Garden dressing.

I guess they had to go commercial, since they couldn't unload enough of this stuff in their restaurants to turn a decent profit. :D (Which is not to say that both aren't delicious.)

Ok, NCL has been joined by 2 luxury lines to form a group that will allow the resulting group to provide a succession of better and better cruise experiences

NCl will potentially then focus on entry level and economy cruisers. When those customers seek out better they can be sent to Oceania. Likewise, when passengers want more they have Regent. All in the family....

A nice big happy family.

I would speculate that ncl will not focus so much as trying to elevate their product to offer luxury but rather focus it on the entry and mid level product.

If a passenger wants better....well they can seek it in the family and cross sell on board each others ships within the brand.

Celebrity does this with its Azamar brand Carnival does it with stepping up from Carnival, to Holland to Seabourn. Disney doesn't need to because its already diverse. That leaves RCCl looking for a dance parthen

Its a trend of stepping stones....

Ok, NCL has been joined by 2 luxury lines to form a group that will allow the resulting group to provide a succession of better and better cruise experiences

NCl will potentially then focus on entry level and economy cruisers. When those customers seek out better they can be sent to Oceania. Likewise, when passengers want more they have Regent. All in the family....

A nice big happy family.

I would speculate that ncl will not focus so much as trying to elevate their product to offer luxury but rather focus it on the entry and mid level product.

If a passenger wants better....well they can seek it in the family and cross sell on board each others ships within the brand.

Celebrity does this with its Azamar brand Carnival does it with stepping up from Carnival, to Holland to Seabourn. Disney doesn't need to because its already diverse. That leaves RCCl looking for a dance parthen

Its a trend of stepping stones....[/QUOTE]

Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity and Azamara.

Drew Madsen left Darden about a year ago. Red Lobster was sold and left Darden a couple months ago.

Besides Olive Garden, which is Darden's largest brand, the company also owns and operates Longhorn Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, Bahama Breeze, Season 52, The Yard House and Eddie V's.

Many of these brands are quite good, & a couple are high end.