Cheese plate in MDR?

tbugstwo

I've gotten a cheese plate in the MDR, but it was not even close to the scope and quality you would find in the specialty restaurant, nor should it be since you are paying extra for that privilege. It's more like a few of the slices you'd find on the buffet, just plated. The cheeses in Normandie were beautifully aged and perfect.

Usually a cheese plate is served after the entrée and before (or as a substitute for) dessert (some people just don't like sweets). However, my husband and I have a thing where we like to end with something salty/savory, so we always ask to have the cheese served after dessert - although some restaurants probably think we just fell off the turnip truck, we don't care, it's what we like. Recently in Normandie they complied without batting an eyelash - had our cheese after our Grand Marnier soufflé. Mmmm.

G'day Warmwinds

although some restaurants probably think we just fell off the turnip truck, we don't care, it's what we like.

You sound like my kind of person, who cares what anyone thinks. You ought to see the looks you get from some people when you ask for Ketchup, or fries, or even ice cream, but why should I care what they think about what I eat or what order I eat my courses in.

Anyone remember the proper cheese cart that they had at Olympic? When that cover went back, the smell was amazing. I remember seeing the cart, empty, sitting in the back hall on a subsequent cruise. Sad.

We regularly have cheese courses in Murano/Ocean Liners/Normandie, etc. as of August it was still there. When was your sailing that had the cheese cart missing?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We had a great cheese cart at Ocean Liners on Millennium. The disappointment was when they did not offer it at the Chef's Table, which is a substantial cost. We've also had it in the MDR but it does not compare to the specialty restaurant.

Mary Lou

I know you can get a cheese plate in the specialty restaurants, but am wondering if it can be ordered/is available in MDR? Also, when would it be ordered---before or after dessert?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I often have a cheese plate in the MDR as my dessert accompanied by a lovely glass of wine. I'm perfectly contented and that's the point. :)

A cheese plate historically as a "Dinner course" is a Continental thing vs North American

So you will find it common place in Celebrity's French Continental Restaurants (Murano on S-Class Ships & the Ocean Liner Series on M-Class Restaurants)

The Dining Rooms on Celebrity offer, American Service... So Cheese Plates as a course are not the norm

However, sod say they have requested this option... And have received it despite it not being listed on the MDR / Blu Menues

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I often have a cheese plate in the MDR as my dessert accompanied by a lovely glass of wine. I'm perfectly contented and that's the point. :)

Me to, whilst not spectacular I have found the cheese plate perfectly adequate in the MDR, always a nice wedge of Stilton :D

Have not done this on Celebrity, but on Royal Caribbean, under "desserts" on the room service menu is a cheese plate. It isn't fabulous but we like order one or two (they are very small) to have as we get ready for dinner.

We've also seen cheese plates appear on dinner menus under desserts.

I guess DW and I didn't fall, but jumped off the turnip truck ;). We like having a cheese plate as our appetizer along with a nice glass of wine. Back in the day when the MDR was the only choice our server would, by day 2, have the cheese plate on the table when we arrived. Always giving a different variety of cheese each night. We would also have the sommelier offer their suggestion of wine with the cheese presented that particular evening. On some sailings we would notice that adjoining tables started doing the same thing :). I did love the cheese presentation in Murano :D. The waiter did look at us strangely when we ordered the cheese as an app...lol

In Blu they offered a cheese & fruit plate for breakfast - and also a charcuterie plate (very Continental!). I got the cheese a couple of times with a toasted bagel and it was a nice change from the usual breakfast items. Honestly, I can't think of a bad time to have cheese!

But like the after-dinner cheese in the MDR, it was the same old slices of cheddar, Havarti, etc. It can't be compared to the perfectly ripe, gorgeous selections in the specialties.

Haven't had cheese assortment in MDR, but have had it for Room Service, which has some decent, though unremarkable, cheese.

Murano's cheese cart (or comparable on M-class) is no comparison - we savor the cheese like fine wine (which we also are drinking in Riedel glasses). Only regret is not always having a lot of room left by the cheese course. Maybe will skip the starters next time. :)

1533021604_IMG_2375(480x640).jpg.f245de4dc9d250d4fd1cbcf368d728b9.jpg

On Oasis, on the first night, I asked for the cheese plate every night to be waiting for us at the table. Realized on night two, that it was the same cheese every night, all of it mild and bland. I was hoping to try some new cheese and appreciate the strong flavours of a good stilton paired with wine, to start off my meal.

I was going to ask for the cheese plate on our Reflection cruise, but it sounds like it will be on par with our Oasis experience.

Perhaps I'm better off going to the buffet and making up my own cheese plate to nibble on in the cabin while getting dressed?

On Oasis, on the first night, I asked for the cheese plate every night to be waiting for us at the table. Realized on night two, that it was the same cheese every night, all of it mild and bland. I was hoping to try some new cheese and appreciate the strong flavours of a good stilton paired with wine, to start off my meal.

I was going to ask for the cheese plate on our Reflection cruise, but it sounds like it will be on par with our Oasis experience.

Perhaps I'm better off going to the buffet and making up my own cheese plate to nibble on in the cabin while getting dressed?

That's exactly what we do, returning from a day in port head to the buffet and fill a plate with our favorite cheeses, some fruits and crackers and take that to our balcony to enjoy with a fave wine! Never seem to have room for cheese plate after a full dinner but then I rarely have dessert either:eek:

That's exactly what we do, returning from a day in port head to the buffet and fill a plate with our favorite cheeses, some fruits and crackers and take that to our balcony to enjoy with a fave wine! Never seem to have room for cheese plate after a full dinner but then I rarely have dessert either:eek:

sounds good, I think that is what I will do!

sounds good, I think that is what I will do!

I think you said you were sailing in a suite earlier? Our butler will bring us a very nice cheese plate whenever we asked. We usually ask for it every other night alternating with chilled shrimp. We've recived a very nice assortment of cheeses. In addition to the typical soft cheeses we usually received some blue, Gouda, Parmesan and other varieties. It has varried in quality and presentation by ship/butler buy we've enjoyed it while we relax or get. Ready for dinner.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have never run into a problem on Celebrity ordering the cheese plate for an appy. For me, it is about the crackers. Once I received saltines only with my cheese. Typically, the plate comes with water crackers and digestive biscuits. The waiter was happy to provide an assortment of crackers the next day. :)

I think you said you were sailing in a suite earlier? Our butler will bring us a very nice cheese plate whenever we asked. We usually ask for it every other night alternating with chilled shrimp. We've recived a very nice assortment of cheeses. In addition to the typical soft cheeses we usually received some blue, Gouda, Parmesan and other varieties. It has varried in quality and presentation by ship/butler buy we've enjoyed it while we relax or get. Ready for dinner.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

No, not I. We have a verandah booked for our Reflection cruise. This will be our first X cruise. I was looking at upgrading to a suite, but I think I posted that on our roll call, not on the main board.

And have received it despite it not being listed on the MDR / Blu Menues

Unless something has changed very recently, it has always been listed on the dessert menu.

I almost always order the cheese plate as I'm not a sweet person. As others have said, not nearly as good as the specialty restaurants, but works for me. Differs in quality from cruise to cruise and ship to ship it seems.

Hi all

We love to go to Cellarmasters (on the S class)

After dinner where there is usually a good selection

and have a nice glass of Port.

Don't know what we will do when they become Gastro Pubs.

Prior to dinner there is always a nice selection in the Buffet,

Lovely to take back to the cabin and watch the waves from the balcony

Whilst having a nice glass of wine or port,

A cheese plate is most certainly offered in the MDR on the Dessert menu.

It certainly is and I ordered it a couple of times on our recent Eclipse cruise, it comprised several small selections of various cheeses, more than sufficient crackers, along with some fruit, all presented on a large dinner plate.

It may not have been remarkable but it was certainly a more than adequate alternative dessert choice.