Cabin. Do you cruise inside, balcony, suite???

Thrak

I LOVE having a balcony but won't spend a lot extra to have one. If cruising in an inside lets me cruise more often I'm fine with insides. I cruise solo often so that is almost always an inside, if I have a roomie maybe an inside maybe a balcony. Its all about the cost :) My cruise next week is in an inside and I'm sure we will have a great time.

Cruising to Bermuda next Fall and will be spending my 8 nights in an inside. I am cruising with family and friends but in my own room. Just can't afford a balcony - luckily my brother & sis in law have a corner aft wrap and don't mind sharing their balcony. I will miss being able to go out on the balcony just before bed or having coffee early in the morning but this would be a case or inside or staying home.

We do a mix of Inside, OV, and balcony. We used to cruise once a year and always got a balcony. We LOVE balconies, and I think we use them more than anyone else on the ship. Even in bad weather, we bundle up and sit out there! We bring back food from the buffet and eat out there. We read out there. We watch for sea life out there. It is our little personal piece of paradise. However, we've now gotten into the habit of 2 or 3 cruises per year, and I just can't seem to cut back. It is stress reduction for me. But we can't afford balconies 2 or 3 times a year, so, we've had to switch to insides and OVs for at least some of those cruises. The decision depends on price differences and location. Some places a balcony seems a must, other places we can manage without it. The problem for us is that DH gets claustrophobic. There are a couple of 4 week cruises we'd like to take, but can't afford balconies. DH does not feel he can handle an inside for more than a week, so unfortunately, we just can't take those cruises. Maybe some day - a last minute deal or if we decide to cut back on the frequency of our cruises. But they make me so happy - I guess you could say they are my escape - I just can't seem to stop booking cruises. So it's a mix for us depending on price and where the cruise is going.

We've almost always been in balcony cabins, with a couple of ocean view cabins on the original Royal Princess. Our next cruise we booked a mini-suite for the first time (on the Pacific Princess) and then Princess ruined it by making us an upsell offer. I'm just hoping my DW doesn't get too comfortable in the full suite... :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

We were spoiled on our first cruise with a Penthouse Suite and have always booked them thru the years. The rear facing PH Suites on the Crown and Ruby on the Aloha decks are really wonderful with NO wind and NO ash like on the new Royal and Regal. It looks like we will have to book a side PH Suite on the Royal for the next British Isles Cruise next year.

For me it's a balcony every time.

If they ever make an OV with floor to bulk head windows I might change.

There are six of these cabins on the Grand: L303/304/305/306/307/308. Premium oceanview cabins, very spendy.

I am one who spends a lot of time in my cabin, on the bed. Being able to have a full view of the passing Ocean with the sea breeze coming through the balcony door is an absolute must have.

But it is horses for courses.

The window suites don't have floor-to-ceiling windows; that prior poster was mistaken. They do have largish picture windows, but not a wall of windows like the cabins noted above.

Edited by rdsqrl

Haven't come across those yet, what boats are they on?

Golden, Caribbean, and Grand have them on Fiesta Deck. F301, F305, F307, F309, F311, and F315 on the Starboard side. Full suite privileges including breakfast at Sabatini's. Check out the deck plans at princess.com and you will see them.

Note: F301 tends to be smaller than the rest of them. On Grand Princess it appears to be much smaller than the others.

I have sailed in insides, outsides and balconies, depending on prevailing fares and my travel budget at the time of booking. I have never done a suite, however I have done two adjoining cabins when traveling as a couple on longer cruises. We did this to get more space and two bathrooms as I find bathrooms too small on most ships to "share" at the same time. It ended up costing less than a suite with one large bath.

I don't care enough about suite privileges to justify the extra cost, even when it has been in my budget. I would rather use the money to cruise more often in a "lesser" cabin.

Edited by Ryndam2002

We have booked balconies and mini suites ever since I was diagnosed with asthma about twenty years ago.

Prior to that,we had a porthole cabin on the QE2 and the Big Red Boat and an inside on an NCL cruise to Bermuda.

I hesitate to book an oceanview or inside because of my need for fresh air.

Does anyone know if the air in an inside cabin is recycled like the air on planes?

Has anyone experienced a problem with air circulation in an inside cabin?

The pricing on inside cabins would allow us to be able to cruise more often.

I just need to make sure that I would be comfortable so that I could enjoy those cruises if we selected an inside cabin.

Whatever cabin is chosen,I wish all a bon voyage in the future!

...With the "new" furniture on the balconies so uncomfortable, rendering the balcony unusable for me other than a check on the outside temps or maybe a look-see, I'm not willing to pay for a balcony...

A bit off-topic: I thought it was just me that couldn't get comfortable on my balcony furniture on the Golden recently, until I saw that my neighbors had dragged their upholstered chairs from inside their cabin onto their balcony! I noticed this late in the cruise, or I might have done the same.

Back on-topic: I would still prefer a balcony over an OV if the price is right. Nothing like breathing sea air, and I enjoy watching early AM docking procedures while still in my jammies :).

I've cruised in all cabin categories from inside to full suite. My only full suite experience was an upgrade and I loved it, but I wouldn't pay for it. When I first started cruising I always did insides. Back when I first started cruising most ships didn't have a lot of balconies and I didn't have a lot of money. LOL. I had some Obstructed OV's and OV's before I tried a balcony. I think I got a balcony for little more than an OV. Well, I fell in love with that balcony. Pretty soon, I was able to try a mini for little more than a balcony. I loved the couch. I was working at a new job and could only get one cruise in per year so I decided it was worth the money to pay for a great experience and started booking mini's. I really do love the couch on a longer cruise. Well, I've recently retired and still booked mini's out of habit. This fall I was looking for a good deal for a Canada/NE cruise and found it on HAL. The cost difference between an inside and a balcony was huge, so I decided to try an inside to see if I could stand it. Honestly, it wasn't bad, but I did miss my balcony. I was on the same deck as the promenade deck and only steps from the door. I think that will be the key for me in the future. If I book insides I will have easy access to outside. Yes, I'm going to try an inside again, I think. My next cruise has been booked for a long time and it's a mini. After that I'll shop around for a good deal so I can cruise more often. I also need to add that I, too, hate the current balcony furniture on Princess. That might affect my decisions.

The Golden Princess is currently based in Australia. Check the Princess Cruises website for further details.

Crochetcruise :cool:

The Golden is actually still sailing out of Los Angeles (San Pedro) until next spring. She is then scheduled to spend the 2015 summer season in Alaska, and move to Australia after that.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

The Golden Princess is currently based in Australia. Check the Princess Cruises website for further details.

Crochetcruise :cool:

The Golden is actually still sailing out of Los Angeles (San Pedro) until next spring. She is then scheduled to spend the 2015 summer season in Alaska, and move to Australia after that.

According to the web site she'll be here, for what looks like a very short season in 2015 [3 cruises out of Sydney] and one out of Sydney in 2016.

Edited by GUT2407

I really liked your question.

We have had mostly balcony. One mini suite and suite

This time we are in an Inside and while call ourselves "Aft Whores" this inside is near the aft where we can walk down the hall 4 cabins and be on the large aft deck anytime we want! So it will feel like a giant balcony!

We are happy to have an inside cabin and will feel right at home because it is about the size of our current bedroom!

Enjoy your cruise adventures.

We started off in an inside cabin, then OV, and now almost always get a balcony. I cannot do an inside cabin, as I get claustrophobic, and I need to see daylight. There is nothing like falling asleep with the sliding door ajar, listening to the crash of the waves. We like to sit on the balcony after a long day on an island, have a drink, read a book, even have a quick snooze.

Wow...You started a winning thread. Thanks. 3 pages in a little over 24 hours.

I have traveled in all categories from inside to Penthouse Suite. My budget prefers an inside (more opportunities to cruise), but my cabin buddy (friend who will cruise with me) needs to have at least a balcony. We have been in a Window Suite several times but that is because the fare has always been very comparable to a mini-suite. This is the only concession to giving up the balcony.

The way I look at it, the number one factor in deciding on booking a cruise is the fare. Then I look at everything else (category, location, port, ports of call) and San Pedro.

I love the cruise life.

Think I might have managed to confuse Diamond and Golden Princesses! My apologies, thank goodness someone else is alert!

Crochetcruise :o