Cruising in the winter

edwardsm

I've never cruised during the winter season and thinking about reserving a short 4 days cruise out of Jacksonville Florida to the Bahamas during the first part of December. Is cruising in winter just as fun as summer months? Are the pools open and do they still have the poolside contests on Lido? Are there usually less cruisers onboard?

My first cruise was in December out of Tampa. We went to Cozumel and grand Cayman and it was hot. It may have been a little cool when we left bit I can't remember. Had a wonderful time. Leaving on one next week to the Bahamas

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

We love cruising in the winter! I have never cruised out of Jacksonville, and it may be a tad chilly depending on what you are used to when you leave. But, the pools will still be open and there will still be plenty of lido activities to do. Cozumel will still be warm in December/January and the last time we were there it was low to mid 80's. I think that's perfect. Not too hot! When we cruise in January there aren't many kids on board because there just aren't that many kids out of school that time of year, but it's actually kind of nice.

My oldest sister will turn 70 (she looks great too) December 7th and in addition to a party her daughter is giving her, I would like to surprise her with a cruise. She has NEVER cruised in all her years. She's not very fond of the ocean. The more I type this the more it doesnt sound like a good idea but I think she will enjoy it if we can get her on the ship!

I can't imagine cruise anytime BUT the winter... Being Canadian why would I leave 90 degree summer (yes-we have summer here too)weather to go to 90 degree Caribbean weather?

The weather is perfect for cruising anywhere from Nov- April

Be advised that it can get cold in Florida, even as low as hovering around 30 degrees with snow. As you're going to the Bahamas, the island can experience similar temperatures. Although, the Bahamas may be a little bit warmer than North Florida. It is best to bring a coat or a jacket, just in case. I'm not saying it will, but there is a possibility that doesn't have an extremely low probability.

Edited by Disconnections

We cruised out of Miami in December and it was chilly in Miami, decent in Key West and warm in Cozumel. The cruise was fun, great party atmosphere. We cruised out of Jacksonville in February and it was cold there and really cold in Key West and the Bahamas. Jackets, sweatshirts and jeans in Nassau.

I always cruise the last week of November-first of December. it's still hurricane season, so some tender ports in the Bahamas and Caribbean can be cancelled. Bahamas have very similar weather to Florida. If it's 70 in Florida, It's 73 in Nassau, and the water is a little cold. only gets colder as winter progresses. Cozumel, on the other hand, is 85-90 year-round. for the little extra distance and the no parking fees in Tampa, cruise the Paradise to Cozumel for 4 days, same Thursday-Monday schedule. However, you just visit Cozumel. if you have the extra time, go the 5 day to Grand Cayman as well.

There's no way you'll have a bad time on any cruise. you'll love anything you choose. Good luck and happy cruising!!!

Cruising to the CARIBBEAN from a South FL port or San Juan? Heavenly! You're almost guaranteed to have excellent weather.

Cruising to the BAHAMAS out of Jacksonville? Not so much. These were the temperatures when we sailed from Jacksonville, early December a few years ago (YES, that's Freeport, Grand Bahama Island to the right of the 42): :eek:

DSCF7559.jpg

Edited by Tapi

You mentioned the Bahamas and several people keep referring to the Caribbean. The Bahamas is not the Caribbean. It is in the Atlantic, and may have temperatures similar to the south of Florida. I don't think anybody could say with any accuracy what the temps.

I would check some history on weather in Nassau, Freeport, etc., and see what the average temps might be. Of course there is no guarantee, and it could be 60 and rainy, or 80 and sunny. You take those chances.

I always cruise the last week of November-first of December. it's still hurricane season, so some tender ports in the Bahamas and Caribbean can be cancelled. Bahamas have very similar weather to Florida. If it's 70 in Florida, It's 73 in Nassau, and the water is a little cold. only gets colder as winter progresses. Cozumel, on the other hand, is 85-90 year-round. for the little extra distance and the no parking fees in Tampa, cruise the Paradise to Cozumel for 4 days, same Thursday-Monday schedule. However, you just visit Cozumel. if you have the extra time, go the 5 day to Grand Cayman as well.

There's no way you'll have a bad time on any cruise. you'll love anything you choose. Good luck and happy cruising!!!

can you please tell me where in tampa there is no fee to park?

You mentioned the Bahamas and several people keep referring to the Caribbean. The Bahamas is not the Caribbean. It is in the Atlantic, and may have temperatures similar to the south of Florida. I don't think anybody could say with any accuracy what the temps.

I would check some history on weather in Nassau, Freeport, etc., and see what the average temps might be. Of course there is no guarantee, and it could be 60 and rainy, or 80 and sunny. You take those chances.

Good idea, I will do the weather history on Bahamas.

Thank you all for your responses.

can you please tell me where in tampa there is no fee to park?

Yeah, I would love to know that too! Only thing I can think of is a hotel with park & cruise rates. Not going to pay for a hotel when I live 40 minutes from the port.

As for the op's question, I have been out there cruising where we needed a jacket every day, so as a couple of others have indicated, it can go either way. Would not stop me though.:D

We have cruised three times in January and it was cold in the Bahamas. The tempature in the Caribbean was wonderful but you have to be aware of the "Christmas Winds" in the Caribbean this time of year. It is windy all the time, this did make sitting out by the pool less than great.

I won't say we won't sail during these months ever again (right price, itinerary, we would) but we enjoy September - October weather more.

We are sailing for the first time out of Tamp in March; anticipating wonderful weather.

We always cruise in the winter months but we live in Illinois and we go to escape our brutally cold winters. For the last 4 years we have cruised during the first week of December.....it is a great time to go because the weather is PERFECT and there aren't usually very many kids onboard

We have cruised several times anywhere from November-January. On the January cruises out of Jax we did find the ocean water a bit too chilly for us (I like it warm).....but the air temp was perfect becauuse it was always low to mid 80's.

Heck there's never a bad time to cruise......LOL......:p

I've never cruised during the winter season and thinking about reserving a short 4 days cruise out of Jacksonville Florida to the Bahamas during the first part of December. Is cruising in winter just as fun as summer months? Are the pools open and do they still have the poolside contests on Lido? Are there usually less cruisers onboard?

Did it once one January, but further south. Was on the cool side when we left Miami, but got summer like as soon as we sailed south. I would imagine the Bahamas would be a lot cooler.

What I didnt take into consideration was the significant shorter days. Sunset before dinner and rose after breakfast. I like lots of sun on a cruise.

Notice that I live in Jax.

December here can be chilly so expect your sail away to be cool - no shorts and have a light jacket or sweater available. The pools my not be comfortable the first day but the hot tubs will feel fantastic.

Bahamas will mimic south Florida which can range from 80's to 60's as the high and from 60's to 40's at night that time of year.

December here can be chilly so expect your sail away to be cool - no shorts and have a light jacket or sweater available. The pools my not be comfortable the first day but the hot tubs will feel fantastic.

Bahamas will mimic south Florida which can range from 80's to 60's as the high and from 60's to 40's at night that time of year.

You're right, I checked the average December temperature for Nassau and its high is 77 and low around 60's. But as we know, the weather can change from year to year. Our temps here in Charleston can range from 50-70 in December, sometimes lower sometimes higher.

You are certainly correct. This morning at Boca Raton at 7AM it was perhaps 65°, right now, and with a breeze, 82°. Very pleasant.

I once flew my plane over JAX in January while flying down to Naples, and at 13,000 feet it was snowing, but I figured it melted to rain before it hit the ground.

Frankly if I were doing a winter cruise I would go out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean.

If you can just do four nights I would depart further south, however 4 nights out of JAX should certainly be relatively warmer than what it might be up north.

Temperature is all relative. Since I moved to Florida almost two years ago, I find 60° to be cold, and I never used to feel that when I lived in NJ! Of course I didn't dress in a T-shirt and shorts up there at those temps! ;)

Since OP is only cruising as far as the Bahamas and not leaving the Atlantic Ocean , the Dec weather , as like Florida , can be iffy , but not as iffy as Jan.

A short cruse from Tampa or Miami to the Western Caribbean would assure of at least some warm tropical weather .

Since OP is only cruising as far as the Bahamas and not leaving the Atlantic Ocean , the Dec weather , as like Florida , can be iffy , but not as iffy as Jan.

A short cruse from Tampa or Miami to the Western Caribbean would assure of at least some warm tropical weather .

I can't go up to Tampa during the winter months without my ski coat from when I lived up north. Miami or Fort Lauderdale is best if you want a warmer cruise.

Edited by Disconnections