Don't eat those snacks! They ain't free!

cruisestitch

On Eclipse now, where packages of snacks (mixed nuts, m & ms, others) appears in the room today with a note that. $6 will be charged if you eat them. Warn the kiddies, they aren't free! Shades of those horrible snacks sold on airplanes for outrageous prices. Not a good move for our "modern luxury " line, IMO.

On Eclipse now, where packages of snacks (mixed nuts, m & ms, others) appears in the room today with a note that. $6 will be charged if you eat them. Warn the kiddies, they aren't free! Shades of those horrible snacks sold on airplanes for outrageous prices. Not a good move for our "modern luxury " line, IMO.

Can you ask the steward to remove them so they aren't in your way?

(That's what we do with the stuff in the frig)

Hasn't this always been the case? Just like items in the mini bar?

Yes, but they do make these items more obvious now. If you dont want to make the purchase, there's no obligation to do so. As boogs mentioned, you can always ask the cabin attendant to remove them.

Hope this helps !

The snacks were $5 on our 12 night Sept Infinity cruise. I tried to give them back to the asst steward in the afternoon because there was no room on the vanity. When we returned to the room after dinner, they were back in the room. So I hid them behind the TV for the duration of the cruise.

It appears Celebrity is looking for any way possible to increase revenue.

Snacks have been in the room for quite awhile, now. They were on my last two cruises.

cruisestitch - looking forward to your getting home and giving a review of your cruise. We just booked the same cruise for next Fall. ;)

Many "luxury" hotels do the same thing - Ritz Carltons, W, Fairmont.

Makes sense a "modern luxury" line like Celebrity would too.

As others say, just put them up or stick in a drawer or the TV cabinet. One of my first moves when I get my cabin is to stash all the papers, table tent advertisements, books, collateral materials, laying all over etc. someplace.

What I find the MOST irritating about this is that they put the basket of snacks in the place where the ice bucket USED to be! So now, I have a minibar full of drinks that I don't want to buy, a big basket of snacks that I don't want to buy, and a large bottle of water I don't want to buy -- all taking up precious space in my tiny cabin. To make matters worse, I don't have the one thing that I do want: a bucket of ice! :mad:

Fortunately, on my recent Summit cruise, we had a wonderful room steward (Lalaine :)). Upon request, she removed all of the pay-for items (including the mini-bar), and brought us an ice bucket -- which she kept full, for the remainder of the cruise. So, clearly, some folks on X "get it" -- just not the ones at the top! :rolleyes:

Edited by wwcruisers

As others say, just put them up or stick in a drawer or the TV cabinet. One of my first moves when I get my cabin is to stash all the papers, table tent advertisements, books, collateral materials, laying all over etc. someplace.

Agreed. The W has great snacks. Also, was in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace and they had little boxes of snacks and there was no notification as to how much they cost. Thank goodness I didn't like any of them LOL!

Has no one been to a luxury hotel? You'll find these profit increasing snacks everywhere.

Don't want the snacks, move them. NBD.

Agreed. The W has great snacks. Also, was in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace and they had little boxes of snacks and there was no notification as to how much they cost. Thank goodness I didn't like any of them LOL!

I get your point -- and, I've encountered mini-bars, and other for-fee items in many hotel rooms. But, I usually had much more room there -- and, it wasn't a small space where I'd be living for a week, or more. This feels like encroachment -- for lack of a better term.

I get your point -- and, I've encountered mini-bars, and other for-fee items in many hotel rooms. But, I usually had much more room there -- and, it wasn't a small space where I'd be living for a week, or more. This feels like encroachment -- for lack of a better term.
Simple solution, just ask the room steward to remove the items, so that you can use the space.

Simple solution, just ask the room steward to remove the items, so that you can use the space.

There was no problem with that, on this last cruise (see post above). But, sometimes the cabin stewards have told us that they have no space outside the cabin to put the mini-bar items. So, they end up stowing everything in one of the more out-of-the way spaces in the cabin. But, those are precious few -- and now, there are more things we don't want -- where does it end? :rolleyes:

There was no problem with that, on this last cruise (see post above). But, sometimes the cabin stewards have told us that they have no space outside the cabin to put the mini-bar items. So, they end up stowing everything in one of the more out-of-the way spaces in the cabin. But, those are precious few -- and now, there are more things we don't want -- where does it end? :rolleyes:
I guess we all have those things that are an issue for us, this is not one for me. I don't eat the items in the mini bar or left on the counter (unless I'm at the W Hotel, with their awesome snacks), just because I think the prices are over the top. I guess I would just find a nook or crannie that is out of the way myself...like under the bed or in a empty suitcase (and let the room steward know where I stashed them), so it would be a non-issue for me, especially when I'm on vacation. I understand that hotels and Celebrity probably make some revenue off these items and if it keeps my fares down a little, I'm all for them trying it. But I guess some things bother some people, while it really isn't an issue to others and that is what makes the world go around. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm not sure how one would think they're not. Same as water, candy bars and everything else left in your room.

The difference is that when you're in Aqua you get the afternoon canapes and the bottled water as part of the amenities for the room.

Thanks to these boards i know these snacks aren't part of that but I'm not sure what I would have thought if I'd just encountered them without knowing.

In a hotel I don't expect ANYTHING besides the bed, etc. to be included - on a cruise most of my food is.

It's not a big deal but if I'd eaten one of those snacks and then been charged it would have left a bad taste. (Sorry for the pun)

Edited by chamima

I don't think because someone mentions this is happening, and says they don't like it that they are a 'complainer'. Are we only supposed to say good things about Celebrity on these threads? If that is the case, they'd better start paying us:).

Of course this is not a big thing in the scheme of things. But it is a little annoyance, even if you can get the room steward to remove them completely. Cabin space is indeed at a premium, so every little bit of real estate makes a difference. And sorry, have to continue to disagree with those who think all these extra pay things are going to keep cabin prices down. Have you looked at cabin prices lately? Down is hardly the direction they are going, and often significantly so.

I don't think because someone mentions this is happening, and says they don't like it that they are a 'complainer'. Are we only supposed to say good things about Celebrity on these threads? If that is the case, they'd better start paying us:).

Of course this is not a big thing in the scheme of things. But it is a little annoyance, even if you can get the room steward to remove them completely. Cabin space is indeed at a premium, so every little bit of real estate makes a difference. And sorry, have to continue to disagree with those who think all these extra pay things are going to keep cabin prices down. Have you looked at cabin prices lately? Down is hardly the direction they are going, and often significantly so.

I guess I missed the part where anyone was called a complainer. Everyone has a different opinion and/or issue with things and this is a perfect place to voice them. Just as I'm sure Celebrity would only like us to say good things about them, I'm sure their competition would love for us only to say negative things about them.

Wonder if they stopped all the "for fee" items, how much the cruise fares would be then.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Cabin space is indeed at a premium, so every little bit of real estate makes a difference.

And then we get threads with people upset about the missing ice bucket, water pitcher, fresh flowers in Concierge and better cabins, q-tip dispensers which take as much space - and all of which are available on request (flowers with fee). Some will never be happy.

And sorry, have to continue to disagree with those who think all these extra pay things are going to keep cabin prices down. Have you looked at cabin prices lately? Down is hardly the direction they are going, and often significantly so.

I have noticed that cabin fares have returned to their higher 2012-2013 season prices recently, after being down considerably for the 2013-2014 season when looked at on an overall basis. However the largest price increase has come very recently, no doubt tied to the all inclusive 123 program, and with suites. Yet there are fantastic bargains to be had on some cruises, especially non-holiday Caribbean sailings. Those in the summer months in Europe and Asia are certainly priced higher, but those markets are bearing that cost, so as such they should be.

I have an upcoming 7 night Sillie sailing that has seen inside GTY as low as $349 per person. Sky suite for $1149 pp. These seem like good deals to me. But surely other cruses can be found with higher prices - supply and demand.

The share price has hit all-time highs in the last couple weeks, today at $67.11, and this with the disclosure when they released financials that this quarter's sales are going to be softer than anticipated. So people certainly seem to have faith in how the business is running, with all these changes even being made.

Edited by cle-guy