Jeans in the Dining Room?

Carol28

So you go to the dining room with the expectation that some people won't be respecting the dress code? Interesting

What's so interesting about that? I clearly see those on line in front of me for the anytime dining room. Now THAT'S interesting.

You are not wrong. The Vocal Minority of the Agenda are the worst offenders when in comes to policing fashion. They insist they can wear their cut-offs finery anywhere they want to, and they demand that the people who do dress up should knock it off already. They are the most intolerant bunch here. The Agenda is to get Princess to do away with the dress code, so they mock people who dress up, call them pretentious, tell them they have no right to their opinions, and so forth. While I am sure there are instances of tanks tops and short in the MDR on formal night, the majority of people will be dressed up to one degree or another, whether a shirt and tie or the full tux. People who cruise regularly know this. It's the Vocal Minority with the Agenda who make the most noise on CC threads to create the impression that formal attire is gone, a relic of the past, non-existent and the work of the Devil. This is the case in every (and so many!) threads on the subject here. (The identities of the members of VMA are well-known to everyone on CC.)

Love your post! :D

What is the big deal on what people wear on formal night. If some people want to go more casual, than so be it. My husband and I don't like to pack extra clothes that we only wear once or twice. We enjoy wearing whatever we want and have no need to dress up. We go on cruises for the social aspect and relaxation. We don't go for the formal aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On formal nights, we ask to be seated with those respecting the dress code and always get a wonderful smile from the maitre'd.:)

Ditto for us! :D

Interesting. I've never thought about that. Question: When doing so, do you expect to be seated with "better" people? More "interesting" people? Get better tasting food? I don't begrudge anyone the choice of being seated with whomever they choose. But I am genuinely curious as to what the actual goal is.

What you wear is not who you are
True. However, when it's called "Formal" and the cruise line suggests/requests that you dress accordingly in the dining room, who you are is a measure of the respect you show towards yourself and others. If you choose not to dress accordingly, there are other dining options. Just saying.

I respect those that want to dress up. I am just not one of those people that want to do that. I just like going to the MDR to socialize and be waited on. My preference, my choice. Never had anyone be upset on what I wear or not wear on formal night. Formal night originally began for people to dress up. Unfortunately, life has become more casual and relaxed. Most younger people don't like to dress up. It is the older ones that remember dressing up for football games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to sit with people that are respecting the Princess guidelines for dress. If I am dressed up, I am more comfortable sitting and conversing with others dressed similarly.

When we do not dress for formal night, we dine elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendon viewpost.gif

On formal nights, we ask to be seated with those respecting the dress code and always get a wonderful smile from the maitre'd.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom33 viewpost.gif

Ditto for us! :D

Interesting. I've never thought about that. Question: When doing so, do you expect to be seated with "better" people? More "interesting" people? Get better tasting food? I don't begrudge anyone the choice of being seated with whomever they choose. But I am genuinely curious as to what the actual goal is.

I do not know the expectations of kendon or Mom33 but your expectations seem clear. You have pre-determined that these people choose dressing up for reasons of sensing themselves 'better' or 'more interesting'. You do that by narrowing your question to those points. I do not think you are genuinely curious as to what their goal is. You seem to have made up your mind already.

Many dress up for the ceremony of it all. It has nothing to do with class or craft. It all has to do with ceremony. I would like to have a night on a cruise to bring out my best, be surrounded with people that enjoy that and be glad that it is not a requirement but an option. Ceremonies are important. I applaud the cruise lines for trying their best to keep this one going.

I'm in my 70s. I could swear I have heard this or something similar in every 10 year span since I was a little kid.

Well, I'm not quite there yet, but I know what you are saying. That said, I have never seen things as bad as they are today with respect to the way our country acts and looks.

I am sure that there were Romans who complained that the empire was collapsing for a long time before it fell...but, it eventually did fall. I think we are nearing a tipping point where it could go either way. Only time will tell.

Preach all you want. But now that you've had a chance to get something off the chest, I know you won't mind if I do the same.

I've heard many say that those who do not like the current formal rules are a part of a 'me generation' and are only interested in themselves and what they want. If you stop and think a bit, you might see that those who make this argument are really taking a position that they accuse others of taking. One persons says I don't want to dress up and the other says but I want you too. How can you accuse one of being a part of the 'me generation' and not the other when both are insisting that what they want is what must be?

Respect works both ways. I respect your desire to dress up and enjoy a good meal. If one believes in respecting others, then one must respect their wishes even if they are not what you want. I do not think I can be respectful of another while I'm insisting that they adhere to my wishes.

I was not speaking of you because I know you respect formal nights.

As far as formal nights go, however, I have yet to hear a cogent argument as to why people deliberately sign a passage contract that includes formal night restrictions in the MDR and then insist that the rule does not apply to them.

The best I've gotten so far is that 1) Princess does not enforce it so why bother and 2) I paid for the cruise I should be able to eat anywhere anytime in whatever I want to wear.

Those are pretty much the best of the answers, neither of which explains why after agreeing to the rules (in the passage contract) they decide they do not or need not have to follow them.

Perhaps someone can answer that....

I do not know the expectations of kendon or Mom33 but your expectations seem clear. ... I do not think you are genuinely curious as to what their goal is. You seem to have made up your mind already.

I have no idea where you got that. I said that I was genuinely curious. What right do you have to question my sincerity? For the record, I have attended every Formal Night on every cruise that I have been on and have worn a tux to every one. So I am one of the people that the other posters would be seated with. So I am one of the "dress-up" people to whom you refer. So you see? My question is genuine. Apology expected.

In case y'all have been missing the fashion pages of late: most jean manufacturers are in trouble because the trend now is to wear the much more comfortable yoga wear that is hitting the major retailers by storm....

So does Princess allow yoga pants on formal nights?!? ;)

True. However, when it's called "Formal" and the cruise line suggests/requests that you dress accordingly in the dining room, who you are is a measure of the respect you show towards yourself and others. If you choose not to dress accordingly, there are other dining options. Just saying.

Amen. Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As far as formal nights go, however, I have yet to hear a cogent argument as to why people deliberately sign a passage contract that includes formal night restrictions in the MDR and then insist that the rule does not apply to them.

The best I've gotten so far is that 1) Princess does not enforce it so why bother and 2) I paid for the cruise I should be able to eat anywhere anytime in whatever I want to wear.

Those are pretty much the best of the answers, neither of which explains why after agreeing to the rules (in the passage contract) they decide they do not or need not have to follow them.

Perhaps someone can answer that....

I sign the Passage Contract because Princess won't let me sail without signing. My argument might start off with I can't find the rules in the Passage Contract regarding formal night restrictions in the MDR.

Would my wearing a tuxedo make another person closer to God? I'm not sure but I don't think the deceased care what I wear and whom else am I there to honor? The state of my neighbor's house can certainly affect my property values but why should I let that affect the enjoyment of my house? (PS, I've lived next to some real winners.) You see, I do not believe in giving others control over whether, or how much, I enjoy an experience.

Nor do I really notice or care how others present themselves.

Which makes coherent sense. By common consent, there are certain occasions that are viewed as, for better or worse, special. I guess this eludes you, but dressing properly for a funeral is not done for the deceased. It's done for the bereaved, as a mark of respect for the momentousness of the occasion. Same for the wedding you wore your tattered shorts to. I'm truly surprised you couldn't figure that out.

But since you don't care about that, I guess it makes sense you don't care what others do, either. Because, you know, each man is an island. Next time we're seated in the MDR, I'll take you at your word and do what one gentleman seated at a facing table did a few cruises back: keep my baseball cap and mirrored shades on and pick my nose throughout the meal....

Well, I'm not quite there yet, but I know what you are saying. That said, I have never seen things as bad as they are today with respect to the way our country acts and looks.

I am sure that there were Romans who complained that the empire was collapsing for a long time before it fell...but, it eventually did fall. I think we are nearing a tipping point where it could go either way. Only time will tell.

Sorry, but I think our country is doing just fine and will be a world leader for many generations to come.

Just home from our 28 day sailing and we had a guy in our dining room who regularly showed up in bib overalls....yes, bib overalls! I didn't see him on formal nights, but every other time, that is how he was dressed.

I wonder if its the same guy we sat next to on a TA. He didn't show up for formal night, but he had on his overalls every other night.

By common consent, there are certain occasions that are viewed as, for better or worse, special. I guess this eludes you, but dressing properly for a funeral is not done for the deceased. It's done for the bereaved, as a mark of respect for the momentousness of the occasion. Same for the wedding you wore your tattered shorts to. I'm truly surprised you couldn't figure that out.

I'm not.;)

Which makes coherent sense. By common consent, there are certain occasions that are viewed as, for better or worse, special. I guess this eludes you, but dressing properly for a funeral is not done for the deceased. It's done for the bereaved, as a mark of respect for the momentousness of the occasion.

It is clear that there are many ways to confront this issue, but this pretty much sums up my approach. I dress out of respect for my host. When my host invites me to a costume party and I accept, I respect their invitation and wear a costume. When my host invites me to a Formal dinner and I accept the invitation, I dress in Formal attire out of respect for my host. Same goes for Smart Casual. Same goes for "no swim wear in the dining area". The host extends an invitation with rules/guidelines and I comply. And no....The fact that I am paying to be on the ship does not reverse the roles or change the rules. I pay the Waldorf Astoria $500 to attend their New Year's Eve party that says "Black Tie" on the information sheet. The fact that I am paying to attend doesn't mean that I get to rewrite the rules.

Very well said, thank you.