Jeans in the Dining Room?

Carol28

I agree with Rocketman. There are a number of people here who abhor dressing more formally on a cruise. They would have you believing that you can wear what you want, especially on formal nights.

Jeans are allowed, as long as they are neat. Personally, I no longer wear jeans as I find then uncomfortably heavy and they can get hot. But that's me...

As for formal night, maybe 10% of the men will go in without a jacket. Some wear ties others do not. But the vast majority of people on the cruise (including the very high percentage who know nothing about cruise critic) follow the dress code. So, you will find 90% of the men in suits or tuxes and the women wearing appropriate outfits.

As for formal night, maybe 10% of the men will go in without a jacket. Some wear ties others do not. But the vast majority of people on the cruise (including the very high percentage who know nothing about cruise critic) follow the dress code. So, you will find 90% of the men in suits or tuxes and the women wearing appropriate outfits.

I can't remember when I have seen 90% of the men on formal night wear a tux or suit. My response to those who enjoy formal wear, to go ahead and wear formal clothing every night of the cruise. You aren't restricted to just formal night. That way you can show your good taste.:rolleyes:

But the vast majority of people on the cruise (including the very high percentage who know nothing about cruise critic) follow the dress code. So, you will find 90% of the men in suits or tuxes and the women wearing appropriate outfits.[/quote

On formal nights, expecially on warm weather (ieCarib, Mexico etc) itineraries, the number of tuxes is probably close to the number of those choosing not to wear a jacket and /or a tie as of late. ;) The rest of the men wear sport jackets or full suits.

"Appropriate" for ladies on formal nights varies... dress pants and top, sun dress, cocktail dress, "Sunday best", and a handful of long formals which are usually in tandem with the tuxes.;)

Altho you'll see some jeans on regular nights in the mdr as they are fine, not many on a Carib cruise. Just too warm for most.

Edited by eandj

Condescending?

Well maybe, maybe not. It might have been said better but who knows.

The reason my wife and I choose Princess is because our experiences have shown a better quality of guest experience than say Carnival. We have seen people dress much nicer for dinner/evenings on Princess than Carnival and appreciate that. We will never return to Carnival.

If Princess goes that way we will be looking for a more upscale cruise-line for future cruises.

Of course everyone has their own idea of a vacation experience but is it that hard to put a pair of pants on for dinner? All day on the ship you can be in shorts or swimwear right? I love seeing my wife all dolled up in dresses and skirts and it is only right that I put the same effort in my evening attire by wearing a suit or dress slacks for her.

Oh well everyone has an opinion right. Be well.

You have the option of dressing formal every night of your cruise, so go for it.:rolleyes:

Sure, wear them everywhere. Everyone else does.

Soon there will be no dining room, just restaurants, and no formal nights.

RCI going down the wrong path here, but it sounds like they are conforming to what the public is wearing already, not what they want them to wear.

I can't remember when I have seen 90% of the men on formal night wear a tux or suit. My response to those who enjoy formal wear, to go ahead and wear formal clothing every night of the cruise. You aren't restricted to just formal night. That way you can show your good taste.:rolleyes:

All I can say is that on all my cruises to date, many many men wore "formal" suites or tuxes. On our last cruise which was 2 7 day Caribbean cruises I was quite surprised to see so many people dressed in suits and tuxes.

As for what you want to wear, we've been around this before. You have your opinion and I have mine.

As for what the vast majority of people do on a cruise, I can attest to the fact that a very high percentage follows the dress code.

NO, jeans are not usually allowed in the MDR and its likely that the person will be turned away - unless its the first night, then there's a little more leeway since some people may not have gotten their bags and unpacked them in time to dress for dinner.

I have never seen anyone show up to the MDR dressed casually on a formal night and get in. Some aren't dressed to the nines, but if they can manage a decent dress or slacks, dress shirt and tie then fine. You don't need to wear a ballgown or a tux.

Its refered to as "resort casual", so a good pair of slacks (DH likes to wear khakis) and a polo shirt work for men or a nice skirt/slacks/capris and top for women work on a regular night. I also always have a wrap or light jacket with me as I find the MDR is always a little chilly.

Happy cruising!

Maybe you should read the actually guidelines on the Princess website.

As others have said, jeans could be too warm to wear on some itineraries, but on my last cruise I did bring a really nice pair of black skinny jeans and paired it with a nice top, and it worked for smart casual wear. I wouldn't wear it on formal night, though, unless I had decided to skip the MDR.

I can't remember when I have seen 90% of the men on formal night wear a tux or suit.

As for what the vast majority of people do on a cruise, I can attest to the fact that a very high percentage follows the dress code.

We simply disagree.

This is very interesting. The percentage of men who wear suits and tuxes is a calculable number that is not really subject to being "opinion", (though it does vary from cruise to cruise), so there is really nothing to disagree about. It is either a majority or it is not. What this really shows is that people see what they want to see. People can disagree about their respective perception of a calculable percentage, but they can't disagree about the percentage itself.

I agree. We just completed a 17 day transatlantic cruise on the Emerald followed by a five day Gulf of Mexico cruise. We had anytime dining and ate early most evenings. We saw very few people who were not observing the dress code, both on formal nights and smart and casual. Been pretty much our experience on all our previous Princess cruises. We did see one young man who was allowed into the MDR in shorts. Didn't affect our experience. Perhaps things are different for those who go to the MDR later than us.

I agree with Rocketman. There are a number of people here who abhor dressing more formally on a cruise. They would have you believing that you can wear what you want, especially on formal nights.

Jeans are allowed, as long as they are neat. Personally, I no longer wear jeans as I find then uncomfortably heavy and they can get hot. But that's me...

I appreciate your agreement but I was referring to those who post misleading statements trying to convince others that they need to dress far more formally than required.

I cannot imagine an occasion on a cruise ship where I would not consider blue jeans appropriate. But that's me...

Last week on Emerald out of Houston I saw a variety of dress in the MDR, never anything ultra casual, a few jeans, some tropical shirts, but never shorts or T-Shirts at dinner. Formal night had its share of cowboy formal (jeans, button up shirt and sport coat and cowboy boots), and other relaxed formal dress, such as suit coat, bleated tux shirt with gold cuff links, but partly unbuttoned with no tie, etc.

We will be sailing on Princess in late Feb.

Our understanding is that the formal dress code only applies in the MDR.

We will not be bringing formal clothes (travelling light through Asia for 7 weeks) however we would like to try a user pay dining venue for those nights-as long as we are conforming to a casual dress code. Is our understanding correct?

We will not be bringing formal clothes (travelling light through Asia for 7 weeks) however we would like to try a user pay dining venue for those nights-as long as we are conforming to a casual dress code. Is our understanding correct?

Yes, the Specialty restaurants are always smart casual. You'll be fine.

You are absolutely correct!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

LuLu

I don't usually respond to threads about jeans, but I don't know why, if the jeans are clean and neat why anyone cares. I don't go to the dining room to make sure people are following dress codes. I am on vacation I go to the dining room to enjoy a nice meal. I fully intend to wear my long skirt and dressy blouses on formal night. I wear capris and jeans the other nights with nice blouses. I also make sure my formal attire is comfortable. If I am uncomfortable I will not enjoy my meal and I would probably leave early. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Candi

This is very interesting. The percentage of men who wear suits and tuxes is a calculable number that is not really subject to being "opinion", (though it does vary from cruise to cruise), so there is really nothing to disagree about. It is either a majority or it is not. What this really shows is that people see what they want to see. People can disagree about their respective perception of a calculable percentage, but they can't disagree about the percentage itself.

So who is doing the calculations?:)

The 80's called, they'd like their dress code back please :p

100% incorrect on jeans being allowed. They are allowed on all but formal night.

Sorry, I'm old enough to know what cruise line dress codes were in the 1980's.

All I can testify to is what I have seen on the cruises I've been on.

My apologies if I offended anyone's sensibilities, all I tried to do was provide OP with information.

Thank you for the correction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I appreciate your agreement but I was referring to those who post misleading statements trying to convince others that they need to dress far more formally than required.

I cannot imagine an occasion on a cruise ship where I would not consider blue jeans appropriate. But that's me...

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Out of curiosity I looked in to how jeans went from being a tough wearing pant for miners and laborers to the high fashion "uniforms" of the leisure class.

It started with rebels in the movies in the 1950s progressed to the hippies of the '60s and took off with the designed labels in the '70s and just kept going from there.

Oddly enough wearing jeans is no longer an act of rebellion. They now make up part of the uniform of the leisure class.

People like me, who prefer the tuxedos and other "older style" clothes are the rebels today. Go figure.

I don't care if people wear jeans into the dinning room even on formal nights but there are many people who do care so is it OK to offend them? Me I'll wear comfortable dress pants and be happy. No way I'm wearing a tie much more than a few minutes for the picture.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Out of curiosity I looked in to how jeans went from being a tough wearing pant for miners and laborers to the high fashion "uniforms" of the leisure class.

It started with rebels in the movies in the 1950s progressed to the hippies of the '60s and took off with the designed labels in the '70s and just kept going from there.

Oddly enough wearing jeans is no longer an act of rebellion. They now make up part of the uniform of the leisure class.

People like me, who prefer the tuxedos and other "older style" clothes are the rebels today. Go figure.

I don't consider jeans to be a high fashion uniform. I consider them something to wear when you want to be comfortable. I value comfort much more than I do being fashionable.

I'll admit there was a time when I enjoyed playing dress up. Even owned several suits and a mess blue uniform. Times change and so have I. I'd much rather wear my blue jeans and be comfortable.

DW and I avoid the MDR most of the time especially on formal nights. In fact, we politely decline all invitations (and I do mean all) that require more than smart casual.

And of course those people who care that others are wearing jeans are those who sit a bench tables for two and then judge me sitting at the next table cause I don't want to converse beyond a hello. Perhaps if I wear my jeans, then they will avoid such chit chat.....

Edited by mina

Love your reply, I sure don't care, but the snob patrol does!

Sigh. I didn't know it was "snobbish" to hope that people present themselves nicely.

But, y'know, I suppose it's asking too much to hope that guys forego their cutting-edge Dockers and that ultra-cool Tommy Bahama shirt and make some effort at looking like they haven't just been out mowing the lawn. After all, we all know that a sense of style is just some fiendish metrosexual invention, right?

Sigh. I didn't know it was "snobbish" to hope that people present themselves nicely.

But, y'know, I suppose it's asking too much to hope that guys forego their cutting-edge Dockers and that ultra-cool Tommy Bahama shirt and make some effort at looking like they haven't just been out mowing the lawn. After all, we all know that a sense of style is just some fiendish metrosexual invention, right?

Oh my, there is a bench table for two right next to us for you. Since dh will be wearing his dockers, no worries about conversing......