dress code

msweezie

You are absolutely correct. I do apologize. I completely overreacted to your comments. I mean this in all sincerity. I guess I just got tired of all the excuses for not dressing as "suggested." I sort of lashed out at your comment "judged by whom." Just hit me wrong. You are absolutely correct. I apologize completely.

I will add, RCI has a designated dress code. And, actually, it is NOT "suggested" as so many claim. Look it up. It states "Dress Code. But either way, is it fair to the staff to put them in a position to upset a customer? They live off of tips. If they turn you away, will you tip them? Unlikely. IMHO, and this may be one of the reasons I lashed out at you, we should respect the company, respect ourselves, respect those around us, and respect the event. We should at least make a minimal effort to attempt to at least come somewhat close to the suggested dress. At least tuck our shirt into our jeans?

I am not, nor will I ever, accept the "it's my vacation what I do, wear, or say should have no bearing on you." Of course it does. Again, that is why those who don't want to dress in Formal fight so hard to convince others not to dress formally too. When someone asks "How formal is Formal night, the correct answer is "Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)" That is a direct quote from RCI website. We should NEVER answer "wear what you want, no one cares anyway."

Anyway, again, I apologize for jumping on you. Take care.

Good morning Papa.

Thanks for the nice reply, and I admit that I too was a bit "irked" when a read your response, and my previous post definitely reflects that tone. Sorry.

I too remember a time when it was commonplace to see entire families dress up for dinner, even at restaurants in your hometown. Back in the 70's, my dad even made me wear a sport jacket when walking around San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf! The reality is, however, that those days are gone and they won't come back. People have become increasingly casual and as the "old folks" die off, it will become (if it hasn't already) the new standard.

My actual take on this whole "dress code" deal is just try to look presentable. Of course, "presentable" varies from person to person so what you and I may deem inappropriate may be fine to others. You can't fight it; people will do what they want to do. RCL will continue to let them because it is in their best interest to do so - they have to keep the revenue coming in. Customer First, even if it means lowering an expectation or standard, rules the day.

Have a good one buddy.

Edited by CruiseTobey

And on the Explorer one year, I saw a group of New Yorkers in pajama bottoms and t shirts in the MDR on formal night......

I would actually prefer that to the guy I saw at formal night a few years ago who was wearing a leather vest without a shirt I suppose to show off the gold chain which ran from one pierced nipple to the other. He was also wearing extremely tight jeans which left nothing to the imagination, and a huge leather cowboy hat! I could not take my eyes off him...kind of like a train wreck!!!:D:eek:

Apart from Quantum and the reconfigured Oasis, which other ships have 2 main dining rooms?

Almost every ship I have been on has 2 main dining rooms. This includes the Norwegian Star, Spirit, Pearl, Jewel and Pride of America plus all the Carnival ships I have been on plus The RCI Voyager and most of them I haven't been on.

And, in fact, some of the ships already try to have a casual dining room and a more formal dining room as in the case of the Norwegian Jewel which has the Azura main dining room as its casual one and Tzar's Palace as its more formal one.

Here is a quote from the Jewel's Freestyle Daily about their dress code:

Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Tsar's Palace Dining room and Le Bistro after 5:00 pm.

You are absolutely correct. I do apologize. I completely overreacted to your comments. I mean this in all sincerity. I guess I just got tired of all the excuses for not dressing as "suggested." I sort of lashed out at your comment "judged by whom." Just hit me wrong. You are absolutely correct. I apologize completely.

I will add, RCI has a designated dress code. And, actually, it is NOT "suggested" as so many claim. Look it up. It states "Dress Code. But either way, is it fair to the staff to put them in a position to upset a customer? They live off of tips. If they turn you away, will you tip them? Unlikely. IMHO, and this may be one of the reasons I lashed out at you, we should respect the company, respect ourselves, respect those around us, and respect the event. We should at least make a minimal effort to attempt to at least come somewhat close to the suggested dress. At least tuck our shirt into our jeans?

I am not, nor will I ever, accept the "it's my vacation what I do, wear, or say should have no bearing on you." Of course it does. Again, that is why those who don't want to dress in Formal fight so hard to convince others not to dress formally too. When someone asks "How formal is Formal night, the correct answer is "Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)" That is a direct quote from RCI website. We should NEVER answer "wear what you want, no one cares anyway."

Anyway, again, I apologize for jumping on you. Take care.

This was a portion of my review from my Freedom cruise last year in October (And the cruise compass did have it listed as "Suggested)!:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

Edited by bigque

Good morning Papa.

Thanks for the nice reply, and I admit that I too was a bit "irked" when a read your response, and my previous post definitely reflects that tone. Sorry.

I too remember a time when it was commonplace to see entire families dress up for dinner, even at restaurants in your hometown. Back in the 70's, my dad even made me wear a sport jacket when walking around San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf! The reality is, however, that those days are gone and they won't come back. People have become increasingly casual and as the "old folks" die off, it will become (if it hasn't already) the new standard.

My actual take on this whole "dress code" deal is just try to look presentable. Of course, "presentable" varies from person to person so what you and I may deem inappropriate may be fine to others. You can't fight it; people will do what they want to do. RCL will continue to let them because it is in their best interest to do so - they have to keep the revenue coming in. Customer First, even if it means lowering an expectation or standard, rules the day.

Have a good one buddy.

I believe that would depend on where you were brought up at if it was commom place or not! :cool:

I believe that would depend on where you were brought up at if it was commom place or not! :cool:

I also believe this is a large part of the differing view points. If I had been raised in a large city where I was exposed to the more elegant settings I might be more prone to want to dress up.

However I live in a community where there are no successful restaurants catering to the upscale diner, many have tried, all have failed. I don't own a tux, suit or sports coat. Rarely have I eaten in the MDR, as I don't want to be judged by the fashion police that will be offended by what is considered appropriate by 99.99% of those in my community. :eek::eek:

This was a portion of my review from my Freedom cruise last year in October (And the cruise compass did have it listed as "Suggested)!:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

I think that people are confused with the term "suggested" - the "theme" (e.g., casual, formal) for each night is set, the cruiseline is merely suggesting what type of clothing conforms to each of these themes. I always felt it was pretty sad to begin with that people don't already KNOW what terms such as "casual" and "formal" actually mean. What do these yahoos do when they get an invitation to a "formal" affair? Come in cut-offs and t-shirts?

Since most ships have 2 main dining rooms, I do not understand why more of them do not make one dining room a "formal" dining area and the other a casual dining area and let you decide which one to go to.

Albeit, I am sure some in the "formal" dining room would still object to others being allowed to dress casually in the other dining room.

Or, make traditional dining, early/late seating, formal and my time dining casual. Ask which you want at the time you book.

There are reports of men occasionally being turned away for shorts, but that's certainly not a uniform thing at all.

Got off the FOS 2 weeks ago and wore shorts every night for MTD, including the formal nights, with not a word said. In fact, I noticed several men dressed like me. Wear what you want.

Got off the FOS 2 weeks ago and wore shorts every night for MTD, including the formal nights, with not a word said. In fact, I noticed several men dressed like me. Wear what you want.

This is proof positive of the statement I made in a previous post.

"You can't fight it; people will do what they want to do. RCL will continue to let them because it is in their best interest to do so - they have to keep the revenue coming in. Customer First, even if it means lowering an expectation or standard, rules the day."

Please understand that I'm not judging your actions at all, as I support your right to dress as you like. But the reaction (or lack of it) by RCL in your case is exactly what we should expect from a company that must report to shareholders. Revenue and repeat Customers are all that matter. And to be honest, I don't blame them.

I also believe this is a large part of the differing view points. If I had been raised in a large city where I was exposed to the more elegant settings I might be more prone to want to dress up.

However I live in a community where there are no successful restaurants catering to the upscale diner, many have tried, all have failed. I don't own a tux, suit or sports coat. Rarely have I eaten in the MDR, as I don't want to be judged by the fashion police that will be offended by what is considered appropriate by 99.99% of those in my community. :eek::eek:

Screw the fashion police, rub their snobby faces in it. I grew up in Los Angeles, with obvious many many high class restaurants, Michelin Stars, ECT. I dined in several growing up, my mom forced me to go to cotillion, those horrible manners classes as a kid, and I still hate dressing up.

If RCI gives a guideline, I will follow it. If they give a suggestion, I will take it under advisement. The fashion police can go on a river cruise or sail Cunard, I will not let them ruin my cruise, but apparently I am ruining there's. I will never understand why they let me have so much control over their happiness, because they have none over mine.

Put on something clean that covers what it should, and enjoy the MDR!

Screw the fashion police, rub their snobby faces in it. I grew up in Los Angeles, with obvious many many high class restaurants, Michelin Stars, ECT. I dined in several growing up, my mom forced me to go to cotillion, those horrible manners classes as a kid, and I still hate dressing up.

If RCI gives a guideline, I will follow it. If they give a suggestion, I will take it under advisement. The fashion police can go on a river cruise or sail Cunard, I will not let them ruin my cruise, but apparently I am ruining there's. I will never understand why they let me have so much control over their happiness, because they have none over mine.

Well said. I've wondered as well why someone who has spent a large amount of money to enjoy a cruise would allow what someone else wears to dinner ruin that cruise?

I also wonder how the sight of men's jackets hanging over the back of chairs increases the ambiance in the dining room? Then, I wonder why doesn't the cruise line buy chairs with jackets hanging over them. If they did this, then every night could be formal night, every one would be deliriously happy, and that would be the end of the formal night threads.

We plan our family vacations months out.

We take into consideration the dress code and guidelines when we pack, formal or dress casual.

We do not wear shorts or jeans in the MDR.

And dress appropriately as indicated.

No problem for us.

It's our vacation. JUst like for others it is theirs.

What others do is to their liking. If they choose not to dress appropriately and denied entry into certain venues.................oh well. It does not bother me. If they dress to their liking and permitted into certain venues, it is their vacation, and I may snicker, but will mind my own business.

I dont make the rules, I do not enforce the rules.

Cruising has become more casual...........but still mostly tasteful.

I am not the fashion police.

Have a safe cruise, and enjoy

Sea Ya

...On Carnival, I saw a family of 4 in camouflage. Also a bit "weird" for a Caribbean Cruise...
I wonder if they wear this off the ship? In a number of Caribbean countries it is illegal to wear camouflage; this is not a suggestion or a guideline, but rather subject to fines or jail. Lots of luck telling those governments that it is your vacation and you can do what you want:eek:

Good morning Papa.

Have a good one buddy.

I wonder if they wear this off the ship? In a number of Caribbean countries it is illegal to wear camouflage; this is not a suggestion or a guideline, but rather subject to fines or jail. Lots of luck telling those governments that it is your vacation and you can do what you want:eek:

Thanks CruiseTobey. Great to talk to you. I wish they had a "like" button on Cruise Critic. Hopefully one day we'll meet on a cruise.

TravelerThom, I was wondering the same thing. It actually blew me away, not because it was Formal Night (well that was pretty surprising), but because Cammo just has no bearing on a Caribbean Cruise, and, as you pointed out, could actually get you arrested.

Now only a couple of general comments. The whole "fashion police" comments are getting pretty old and stale. No one here claims to be any kind of "police." No one here issues citations, or even walks up to anyone and mentions the dress code. Do we notice? Sure. Hard not too. When I see someone walk into the MDR in a t-shirt and jeans on a Formal Night, I'm not going to say to myself "gee, don't notice that person because you may be considered the 'fashion police." Do I notice? Sure. I also notice the beautiful woman in a designer gown. Guess who I prefer to look at. We all notice each other. That's exactly why these ridiculous arguments start on CC. Because we dress to be noticed. Women wear makeup. Men groom their hair and face. Otherwise, why not just wear sweatpants and sweatshirts and not bother combing your hair or putting on makeup?

But here's the real bottom line. You say you "don't care what others think?" Take a look at this video. Maybe we could do a youtube of "look what I saw on the cruise ship." You could be a star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTfINhwG6o

Now only a couple of general comments. The whole "fashion police" comments are getting pretty old and stale. No one here claims to be any kind of "police."

Not only is the fashion police getting stale but so is "The People of Walmart " references . I just got off the Brilliance of the seas and everyone in the main dining room were dressed appropriately even the few that were wearing shorts .

I just got off the Brilliance of the seas and everyone in the main dining room were dressed appropriately even the few that were wearing shorts .

I think it's impossible to be both dressed appropriately AND wearing shorts, since both the Cruise Compass and the sign at the MDR entrance says "shorts are prohibited."

Well said. I've wondered as well why someone who has spent a large amount of money to enjoy a cruise would allow what someone else wears to dinner ruin that cruise?

I also wonder how the sight of men's jackets hanging over the back of chairs increases the ambiance in the dining room? Then, I wonder why doesn't the cruise line buy chairs with jackets hanging over them. If they did this, then every night could be formal night, every one would be deliriously happy, and that would be the end of the formal night threads.

Why in the world would you take off your jacket at dinner?

Not only is the fashion police getting stale but so is "The People of Walmart " references . I just got off the Brilliance of the seas and everyone in the main dining room were dressed appropriately even the few that were wearing shorts .

This will soon be a thing of the past !

Maybe SailorSally, except for ALL the videos, and they are numerous, of the "People of Walmart."

I most heartedly agree that "this will soon be a thing of the past." Personally, although I'll miss the elegance of Formal Night, I will also enjoy just being my "normal sloppy self" on a cruise. But it will be a shame to see yet another "dumbing down" moment. And in reality, the elimination of Formal Night will just be another symptom of the change in the cruise experience.

I still remember our early cruises when Dress Codes were mandatory, the dinners were "themed," Baked Alaska was presented flaming on the head of a waiter and paraded through the dining room. Horse Races at the pool. Etc.

Yeah.... just another "nail in the coffin" of the cruise experience.

I'll miss it.

Maybe SailorSally, except for ALL the videos, and they are numerous, of the "People of Walmart."

I most heartedly agree that "this will soon be a thing of the past." Personally, although I'll miss the elegance of Formal Night, I will also enjoy just being my "normal sloppy self" on a cruise. But it will be a shame to see yet another "dumbing down" moment. And in reality, the elimination of Formal Night will just be another symptom of the change in the cruise experience.

I still remember our early cruises when Dress Codes were mandatory, the dinners were "themed," Baked Alaska was presented flaming on the head of a waiter and paraded through the dining room. Horse Races at the pool. Etc.

Yeah.... just another "nail in the coffin" of the cruise experience.

I'll miss it.

I remember those things well. When the cruise line made an effort it felt more worthwhile to dress up. Now formal night is exactly the same as any other night. The specialness and niceties are mostly all gone.

I have had a very lengthy conversation with a person fairly high up in the organization this summer about the evolution and adaptation/changes to dress code coming down the pike. RCI is going after Disney families, and sees NCL as a major threat. They are going to look to differentiate more from Celebrity. I won't divulge the name of who I spoke with or any more specifics but you are a smart person and can fill in the blanks.

I remember those things well. When the cruise line made an effort it felt more worthwhile to dress up. Now formal night is exactly the same as any other night. The specialness and niceties are mostly all gone.

I have had a very lengthy conversation with a person fairly high up in the organization this summer about the evolution and adaptation/changes to dress code coming down the pike. RCI is going after Disney families, and sees NCL as a major threat. They are going to look to differentiate more from Celebrity. I won't divulge the name of who I spoke with or any more specifics but you are a smart person and can fill in the blanks.

I am not sure where I first heard it, but someone once said there are no bad cruise lines, just bad matches. Maybe RCI is not a match for some anymore, and they should go on a more up market line. I had a fantastic Carnival cruise a few years back, nothing wrong at all, I just knew we were not a match. I would imagine for some who are not happy with the relaxed dress code, RCI is no longer a match. With my first RCI cruise coming up, I am not sure I am a match, but we shall see. I love the MDR experience, so we shall see how dynamic dining fits me....even if I do it in shorts.

I am not sure where I first heard it, but someone once said there are no bad cruise lines, just bad matches. Maybe RCI is not a match for some anymore, and they should go on a more up market line. I had a fantastic Carnival cruise a few years back, nothing wrong at all, I just knew we were not a match. I would imagine for some who are not happy with the relaxed dress code, RCI is no longer a match. With my first RCI cruise coming up, I am not sure I am a match, but we shall see. I love the MDR experience, so we shall see how dynamic dining fits me....even if I do it in shorts.

That's a reasonable response. Options are offered, you choose from varying degrees offered, no choice is wrong

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread (not TOO old) because I love a great debate and that's what I see here.

We are sailing on Indy next month and live in New Jersey. The cruise sails out of Ft Lauderdale so we are flying in the night before. The issue with me is we get charged for bags on the airlines so the more you bring the more it costs. My wife is already bringing a garment bag plus we have a large bag each and carry ons. To me it is just a pain to also bring a suit in a garment bag. If I was driving to the port maybe that would be different because I would drop the luggage and garment bags with the porter then park but that's not the case.

I am also of the belief that it's my vacation so why should I be forced to dress in a suit for dinner? I am of the belief that I will be of a clean and neat appearance. Slacks, button down, tie, and shoes. So I'm missing the jacket...so what? It's not like I am smoking on my balcony and you have your door open. :) (Notice the attempt to start another debate???)

Anyway, enjoy your vacations or planning everyone!

Bingo! Then he/she gets turned away and wonders why....

I think it's impossible to be both dressed appropriately AND wearing shorts, since both the Cruise Compass and the sign at the MDR entrance says "shorts are prohibited."