New Koningsdam Ship Discrimnates Against Families with a Disabled Child

Austin Family

My husband and I have a darling child in a wheelchair. We have been able to book wheelchair accessible cabins for our family of three on Holland America on all past ships we have sailed on. We recently traveled to the Baltic on the Eurodam as a family.

I CAN'T BELEIVE THIS......I just tried to book a wheelchair accessible cabin for our family of 3 on the new MS Koningsdam and was extremely upset to discover that there were no designated interior, oceanview, or verandah cabins available for a family of 3 that needs a wheelchair accessible cabin.

The MS Koningsdam is a NEW, LARGER ship and the fact that they did not create any wheelchair accessible cabins for 3 people is EXTREMELY DISCRIMINATORY.

I hope that they are able to re-work at least ONE cabin on the ENTIRE SHIP to accomodate a family of 3 with a a disabled child. If not, shame on you.

We will be telling all our friends, family, and community about this discrimination and are very disappointed.

My husband and I have a darling child in a wheelchair. We have been able to book wheelchair accessible cabins for our family of three on Holland America on all past ships we have sailed on. We recently traveled to the Baltic on the Eurodam as a family.

I CAN'T BELEIVE THIS......I just tried to book a wheelchair accessible cabin for our family of 3 on the new MS Koningsdam and was extremely upset to discover that there were no designated interior, oceanview, or verandah cabins available for a family of 3 that needs a wheelchair accessible cabin.

The MS Koningsdam is a NEW, LARGER ship and the fact that they did not create any wheelchair accessible cabins for 3 people is EXTREMELY DISCRIMINATORY.

I hope that they are able to re-work at least ONE cabin on the ENTIRE SHIP to accomodate a family of 3 with a a disabled child. If not, shame on you.

We will be telling all our friends, family, and community about this discrimination and are very disappointed.

That doesn't sound right. No HC cabins? Or, are you saying there are no HC cabins unless you pay more for a Suite? I thought many if not most cabins on HAL ships had a pull out coach to accommodate a third person. Are you sure the Rep was not just saying you had to book a Suite if you have 3 people in a cabin and needed 3 beds?

That doesn't sound right. No HC cabins? Or, are you saying there are no HC cabins unless you pay more for a Suite? I thought many if not most cabins on HAL ships had a pull out coach to accommodate a third person. Are you sure the Rep was not just saying you had to book a Suite if you have 3 people in a cabin and needed 3 beds?

OP is saying there is no wheelchair-accessible room with a third berth under the suite category.

Looking at the deck plans and going by their markings, the OP is accurate. No wheelchair-accessible room that's inside, outside or a veranda are one with a third or quad berth.

Very strange issue. I almost wonder if the deck plans aren't right yet for those cabins unfortunately.

Somewhere a lawyer is on the phone with his Jaguar Dealer picking out his interior color in anticipation

LOL :p

I am sure there are some Neptunes with HC that hold three people, of course, I suspect the OP is looking for a lower category.

I think sspunk may be right and the deck plans may not yet be totally accurate but time will tell.

In any case, I hardly think it is discrimination, just lack of planning.

Did you actually talk to someone at Holland America, or were you just perusing the defective website? Nowhere in your post does it say HAL has confirmed that you cannot be accommodated. Discrimination is a very strong word, I would use it carefully.

It is my understanding that any cruise ship that sails out of the US must have assess to handicapped cabins.

The OP's complaint is that there are no Accessable Cabins below suite level that are set up for three people, not that there aren't any of them at all.

I would expect that the extra space taken up by the accessibility features results in the insufficient space for the third berth. Also when you look at HAL's demographics they tend to have a lot more parties of two needing an accessible cabin than parties of three.

Here is a list of all HC accessible rooms on the new ship:

Suite SA7094 is wheelchair accessible, bathtub and roll-in shower. Staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, A6150, A6148, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152, I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, V4167, V4146, V4107, V4096, C1134, C1125, C1123, C1121 are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

None of those rooms indicate they are triples or quads but I am guessing that whomever the OP talked to they have the same information available to them that we do. Who knows if that information is correct.

Edited by Laminator

I would expect that the extra space taken up by the accessibility features results in the insufficient space for the third berth. Also when you look at HAL's demographics they tend to have a lot more parties of two needing an accessible cabin than parties of three.

This was exactly the case when we sailed on the Noordam in an HA OV which we got as a result of booking an OV GTY.

All the wardrobes in the hallway were removed. The only wardrobe in the room was where the loveseat used be, effectively removing the 3rd berth. We had to share that little wardrobe with the safe and lifejackets, and only one underbed drawer was available for our use. I lived out of my suitcase for 10 days. That room was inadequate for 2 able bodied passengers. I can't imagine trying to cram 3 people into a room like that.

I would think a "live" phone call to the Special Needs division at HAL might be in order for the OP. This sounds like something overlooked on the planning and could probably be rectified.

I just can't imagine that, with all the accommodations HAL makes for impaired adults, they wouldn't want to have it be right for a party of 3 with a hc child.

OK I am shocked at some of the comments but let me just say that first off today was the VERY FIRST DAY one could book a cabin on the new Koningsdam, the first sailing is NOT till Feb 20th 2016 and the ship is really in the beginning stages of being built. I would venture to bet that this problem of not having any third and 4th berth H/C cabins was just one of many things that came up in the first day of booking reservations, I would also venture to believe that this will be corrected in the next few months when the powers at be figure out this error. To say the HAL is Discriminating is some very powerful wording. This ship is well over a year from boarding her first passengers.

The best way for the OP to approach this is to email a letter requesting a third berth cabin and state they are aware that there are not many H/C cabins but inquire if some of these may be made into cabins that will accommodate third and fourth pax. You can email this department at halw_access@hollandamerica.com I would be patient this could take several months but I am sure this will be resolved. The current deck plan will most likely have some changes made as time goes on.

Just like anything new there are lots of things that could very much change long before the Inaugural.

What about a family of four with one person in a wheelchair? Don't they deserve it too?

We now also know that HAL discriminates against single cruisers by putting single cabins (not on all ship but one in the fleet) in the bow of the ship. Regardless of the fact that none of those ships have single cabins...

This is so easy it is almost silly....... if one does not like a particular cabin, one does not book it. :) If only all problems could be solved so easily. :D

Nonetheless, I hope this is a case if confusion and misinformation with the new ship and that it would be able to at least provide what the other ships in the fleet offer.

OK I am shocked at some of the comments but let me just say that first off today was the VERY FIRST DAY one could book a cabin on the new Koningsdam, the first sailing is NOT till Feb 20th 2016 and the ship is really in the beginning stages of being built. I would venture to bet that this problem of not having any third and 4th berth H/C cabins was just one of many things that came up in the first day of booking reservations, I would also venture to believe that this will be corrected in the next few months when the powers at be figure out this error. To say the HAL is Discriminating is some very powerful wording. This ship is well over a year from boarding her first passengers.

The best way for the OP to approach this is to email a letter requesting a third berth cabin and state they are aware that there are not many H/C cabins but inquire if some of these may be made into cabins that will accommodate third and fourth pax. You can email this department at halw_access@hollandamerica.com I would be patient this could take several months but I am sure this will be resolved. The current deck plan will most likely have some changes made as time goes on.

Just like anything new there are lots of things that could very much change long before the Inaugural.

Perfect. :)

Discrimination? You sure?

Staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, A6150, A6148, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152, I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, V4167, V4146, V4107, V4096, C1134, C1125, C1123, C1121 are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

Guess it is more fun to fly off the handle and complain than it is to read/use your brain.

Staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, A6150, A6148, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152, I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, V4167, V4146, V4107, V4096, C1134, C1125, C1123, C1121 are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

Guess it is more fun to fly off the handle and complain than it is to read/use your brain.

But they are not triples or quads (or not designated as such in the deck plan)

There are not many on other ships. For example I went through the deck plans for the MS Amsterdam. There was only one wheelchair accessible cabin (non-suite) that is marked as a triple. That cabin is a large ocean view.

Eurodam has 2, both deluxe veranda

I would think a "live" phone call to the Special Needs division at HAL might be in order for the OP. This sounds like something overlooked on the planning and could probably be rectified.

I just can't imagine that, with all the accommodations HAL makes for impaired adults, they wouldn't want to have it be right for a party of 3 with a hc child.

And when one is connected to that division, ask to speak to Rhonda. In my experience if something can be done, she will do it--expeditiously!

Here is a list of all HC accessible rooms on the new ship:

Suite SA7094 is wheelchair accessible, bathtub and roll-in shower. Staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, A6150, A6148, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152, I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, V4167, V4146, V4107, V4096, C1134, C1125, C1123, C1121 are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

None of those rooms indicate they are triples or quads but I am guessing that whomever the OP talked to they have the same information available to them that we do. Who knows if that information is correct.

The OP doesn't say if she is trying to do it on-line or if she has a travel Agent or if she spoke directly to HAL..

However, since other HAL ships only have one or two triples which can accommodate a Handicapped person perhaps the triple handicapped cabins are booked on the date she wants..

The OP should speak to a person or send an e-mail as LaffNvegas suggested, & give it time to be sorted out..

IMO agree that the word "discrimination" is inflammatory & completely unfounded at this time, since this ship has not even been built yet..

Edited by serendipity1499

My mom in law has used this line for many many years and for the last few with her scooter. I can't see a difference in that and a wheelchair as a child is much smaller. They have always had a room with extras for her. Even when she was on a walker. It seems that most rooms do have a drop down bunk or an extra couch. And this is about our 20th cruise on various lines. Call headquarters. Ask for supervisors. I can't believe they can't find a bunk bed. How far in advance did you book?

Edited by EmilyBiscuit

My mom in law has used this line for many many years and for the last few with her scooter. I can't see a difference in that and a wheelchair as a child is much smaller. They have always had a room with extras for her. Even when she was on a walker. It seems that most rooms do have a drop down bunk or an extra couch. And this is about our 20th cruise on various lines. Call headquarters. Ask for supervisors. I can't believe they can't find a bunk bed. How far in advance did you book?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.. Suggest you look at some of the previous posters suggestions.. Especially LAFFNVEGAS posts..She is a Travel Agent & knows her stuff.. Her suggestion to write to HALS compliance Dept. was an excellent one.

The Psgrs are trying to book the brand new ship in the year 2016..The ship has not even been built yet! It's first cruise is sometime in Feb. of 2016 over a year away..

Edited by serendipity1499