Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

Actually, that is a good point twindaddy. There is a second point they are trying to address though, and that's the perennial conflict between those who want to dress up nicely for dinner, and those who adamantly don't. But expanding the existing MDR menus with much of what's on the new Quantum menus, plus maybe making a portion (maybe one floor?) of the MDR "shorts/t-shirts/flip flops" territory would seem to solve all the significant issues with much less complications and issues than DD.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Actually, that is a good point twindaddy. There is a second point they are trying to address though, and that's the perennial conflict between those who want to dress up nicely for dinner, and those who adamantly don't. But expanding the existing MDR menus with much of what's on the new Quantum menus, plus maybe making a portion (maybe one floor?) of the MDR "shorts/t-shirts/flip flops" territory would seem to solve all the significant issues with much less complications and issues than DD.

Or they could just make MTD casual at all times, maybe even on every ship in the fleet. That way, those who want traditional dining, can have a whole deck for a very traditional dinner with two formal nights on a 7N cruise, and those not wanting to get dressed up could sort of be "forced" into MTD when booking. (They could specify that its causal every night when booking.)

Worked very well on the Breakaway, where two of the MDRs (Taste and Savor) were super casual and allowed shorts and t-shirts, but the third (Manhattan Room) required more traditional (albeit not formal) cruise wear. I think it's certainly something RCI could pull off if they were so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We're booked for the Allure in May 2015 and was sort of looking forward to the DD .... probably just because it was something new. We are doing MTD, which we like, so guess that is the way we'll go and just have to wait till next time! :)

I read on another site just now, take it for what it is worth, someone claiming someone higher up at Royal has said they are going to refine and fix DD but limit it to ships designed and built for the concept and not end up on Oasis or Allure.

Makes you wonder about Oasis 3 though, they could change quite a bit internally on the ship between the current design and a ship now due out in a few years.

Very interesting about what you read about Royal fixing DD but limiting it to purpose built ships. That makes a lot of sense.

It would be nice if they incorporate some of the more popular menu items from the various DD venues on Quantum to the other ships dining room menu.

Some of the menu items and desserts were very good on Quantum

I totally agree and I think that as RCI focuses on fixing DD, they will find out what QN cruisers like. I heard that Silk has some good item.

Silk's menu is especially appealing to me as we don't have a decent Chinese restaurant in my town.

Silk is not a Chinese restaurant. It has a Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Indian item on the menu. A combination of very different cuisines. I would be doubtful that is a good sign. I see it as a limited menu. Personally I only see one entree that appeals to me.

Or they could just make MTD casual at all times, maybe even on every ship in the fleet. That way, those who want traditional dining, can have a whole deck for a very traditional dinner with two formal nights on a 7N cruise, and those not wanting to get dressed up could sort of be "forced" into MTD when booking. (They could specify that its causal every night when booking.)

This was exactly what I was thinking. Make a floor for formal or semi formal diners and there rest for casual/smart casual diners. But I'm not sure RCCL makes any decisions based on "our" ideas... :-D though it would serve someone in their marketing department to review these threads!

This was exactly what I was thinking. Make a floor for formal or semi formal diners and there rest for casual/smart casual diners. But I'm not sure RCCL makes any decisions based on "our" ideas... :-D though it would serve someone in their marketing department to review these threads!

How about the folks that like traditional dining, but don't like formal. To many variables

How about the folks that like traditional dining, but don't like formal. To many variables

Yes, way too many variables... but I'm sure with some planning/thinking someone could come up with the right answer. In any event, I'm happy to try whatever happens whether it be Traditional Dining, MTD or DD.

Yes, way too many variables... but I'm sure with some planning/thinking someone could come up with the right answer. In any event, I'm happy to try whatever happens whether it be Traditional Dining, MTD or DD.

Same here, trying MTD on Oasis in April. I'm sure it will be fine

We are doing the Allure in June and yesterday I spoke to a rep who said the current plan is for traditional and MTD but of course he couldn't guarantee RC wasn't going to change it again. But it sounds to me like it has been scrapped indefinitely. I really don't care but now I can't try Coastal Kitchen and we don't get that high level room that often. Oh well, I guess a cruise on the Allure in the Med will cheer me up. 😊

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also spoke to a rep who said that they are unable to give any information regarding DD, except that it was being delayed for an unspecified time. He said they have no idea what's happening with dining. Our booking has changed from MTD to DD, and back again.

It didn't occur to me that this might have an impact on Coastal Kitchen. I assumed that would go ahead? I will be really disappointed if we can't eat there after all!

I also spoke to a rep who said that they are unable to give any information regarding DD, except that it was being delayed for an unspecified time. He said they have no idea what's happening with dining. Our booking has changed from MTD to DD, and back again.

It didn't occur to me that this might have an impact on Coastal Kitchen. I assumed that would go ahead? I will be really disappointed if we can't eat there after all!

That's an interesting thought. I know that when we go in May, we were told the ship will just be getting out of Refurbishment ... wonder if they will still have the Coastal Kitchen anyway for either a fee restaurant or part of regular dining? We will still be doing MTD anyway and are always happy with that ... so either way! :)

Another thought about DD- with 5000 + guests on board needing at least 1666(guessing at 3 to a party-knowing that some parties would be smaller or larger) reservations/ evening, most wanting to eat between 6:00-8:00 puts much more stress on the reservation staff and waiters, and will undoubtedly continue to cause delays to guests, produce more stress, add chaos to what has been IMHO one of the true pleasures of cruising, a relaxed dinner with an attentive staff and table mates you could actually develop a relationship with. I feel truly sorry for the staff who will have to deal with new guests every night, new and different galleys. I believe that in most cases waiters and guests have enjoyed getting to know each other. Those special touches will be gone- having your iced tea, wine, children's appetizers , high chairs etc. waiting for you.

Here's hoping that RCI is reading this thread and will work out all the glitches of DD before bringing it to ships other than Quantum, leave some of the bigger ships with traditional dining so that those of us who want it can still happily sail on RCI.

Edited by luv4cruises

IMHO they really need it to compete with suite offerings on their competitor lines. The fact that it's been well received so far makes adding it a no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I agree. It was one of the things we took into consideration when we booked a suite. If it will not be there, we might have to think again.

I certainly hope they leave Coastal Kitchen alone, and add it to the Allure. We thought the food was fantastic, and honestly, RCI needs something like that to be competitive in the suite market. I'd love to see it on every ship in the fleet, with the addition of at least one other menu so the choices change every 3 to 4 days.

I certainly hope they leave Coastal Kitchen alone, and add it to the Allure. We thought the food was fantastic, and honestly, RCI needs something like that to be competitive in the suite market. I'd love to see it on every ship in the fleet, with the addition of at least one other menu so the choices change every 3 to 4 days.

I agree. The CK is the best idea they have had in quite some time. This will definitely make me try Oasis class.

Coastal Kitchen better be staying put on the Oasis! We booked a suite on Oasis for May and I'm looking forward to CK. I doubt they would pull back CK now, as I believe it is already up and running correct?

I think this is big a problem with Royal at the moment. People spend a lot of money when they book a suite, and they deserve to know exactly what the product is to allow them to assess if the huge difference in price is worth it to them.

At the moment people who have already booked their suite don't seem to know exactly what the range of benefits will be, and that's not fair. There is a general list of suite benefits, but no specifics about the new arrangements as far as I am aware. Like you, I can't see them taking Coastal Kitchen away from Oasis, but there does seem to be uncertainty about Allure?

Whether it's the length of time that complimentary drinks are served, or the provision of new dining venues for suite guests, people deserve to know what they have bought, or intend to buy.

I am booked for the February 13 departure on Quantum and I am VERY EXCITED to give Dynamic Dining a try.

I have been on 5 RC cruises and 1 on Carnival, but MDR experiences were good...no problems...great staff! But I like trying new things, new experiences.

Edited by AquaQueenKitt

Silk is not a Chinese restaurant. It has a Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Indian item on the menu. A combination of very different cuisines. I would be doubtful that is a good sign. I see it as a limited menu. Personally I only see one entree that appeals to me.

True. We dined there 3 nights and on the last night we all had appetizers as our main course. Most of us ordered the coconut shrimp. First two nights I ordered the same entree, the Chicken Tikka Masala. Like you said nothing else appealed to me.

Today's conversation with RC summary

June Allure. MTD and traditional dining. No Coastal Kitchen.

October Freedom. MTD and traditional.

December Oasis. DD. Didn't ask about CK because we are not in that class of room

Changes day by day, but this is today's report

We are very fond of Chinese food, and have an excellent restaurant not far from home. In fact, it's the best Chinese food we've had since we moved to Virginia 7 years ago. When I looked at the Silk menu, I saw very few things that anyone in our family would like. Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese & Indian foods are very different from Chinese - and from each other. I thought from the beginning that this would be the restaurant of the 3 DDs originally listed that would be the least patronized.

IMHO, the only way the Oasis can keep everyone fed in a timely manner is to keep the complimentary restaurants full throughout the dinner hours. This may be possible to do with MDR & MTD all serving the same menus for a given night. Splitting the menus into 3 different styles of food just isn't going to come out even.