Denied boarding

shrifk

I feel badly for the OP. [emoji45]

First their family missed the boat, then they turn to CC for some friendly advice, and now here we are... It's a bit like showing up for a counseling appointment, only to realize it's a taping of the Jerry Springer Show. [emoji33]

The masses are entertained, but little help or healing has occurred. ( I'm sure we really dig into it, Quantum and dynamic dining was to blame here) [emoji48]

I'm curious... there's a bunch of people (using HiCSailor's post as an example) that are basically saying the OP's family shouldn't have been criticized. So what should the answers have been? Simply "sorry this happened to you"?

Of course all of those criticizing the criticizers are doing nothing more than bumping the thread getting more eyes on it instead of letting it die a natural death.

I may have missed this but can someone clear this up. I understand it's about a 90 minute drive from Orlando to Tampa. What time did the family depart Orlando? When they arrived at the terminal were they permitted to go through security and then turned away at the check in counter?

First their family missed the boat, then they turn to CC for some friendly advice, and now here we are... It's a bit like showing up for a counseling appointment, only to realize it's a taping of the Jerry Springer Show. [emoji33]

The masses are entertained, but little help or healing has occurred. ( I'm sure we really dig into it, Quantum and dynamic dining was to blame here) [emoji48]

Well I feel sorry for everybody who occurs a mishap like a missed cruise in this case. However my sympathy kinda fades a bit, when one is looking to get some compensation where non is due and/or starts blaming others.

OP´s Family missed their cruise due to personal circumstances. RCI had nothing to do with this. They were simply late to the game, no matter what why and no matter what how late they were.

Their possible recourse and only recourse would have been sufficient insurance in this case, which they didn´t purchase.

Why on earth should RCI step up here? not to Forget if we are talking about RCI stepping up here it´s us cruisers and the stockholders paying the bill. I for one am not willing to pay the bill for someone missing their cruise due to personal circumstances and not having sufficient insurance.

So what help or healing should / could there have been?

I can't believe the cruise line doesn't have some leeway in allowing people to board. It was minutes not hours, and the gangway was still in place. I equate this to a cop giving you a speeding ticket for going two miles per hour over the speed limit, on a major freeway. You are breaking the law, not some self imposed time limit set by the cruise line.

Research.....:rolleyes:

I think the OP pretty much knew there was not much that could be done, but tried Cruise Critic to see if there might be any hope of some help. What the OP mostly got was lectures from people on how poorly his son managed his time and how greedy he was that he was demanding compensation. It didn't sound to me that they were demanding. They just wanted to know if they had any recourse at all.

I think the OP pretty much knew there was not much that could be done, but tried Cruise Critic to see if there might be any hope of some help. What the OP mostly got was lectures from people on how poorly his son managed his time and how greedy he was that he was demanding compensation. It didn't sound to me that they were demanding. They just wanted to know if they had any recourse at all.

Do YOU think the family managed their time well?

Do YOU think the family should be entitled to any compensation?

Personally, I don't read anything as "lecturing", but as you can't read tone in a written message, maybe I'm wrong.

IMO when you know you´ve messed up and you know there´s not much that could be done, even thinking about asking for a way to still get help with the issue is the wrong Thing to do. That thought shouldn´t even cross your mind.

It's a terribly sad story, but rules are rules.

At this point, nothing can be done -- except that all of us can take away a stern reminder: Plan to arrive well ahead of time. Build in time for unforeseen contingencies. Do not cut it too close.

Edited by MrsPete

My son and his family were not allowed to board because they were about two minutes after the close boarding time. This was a 4 day Caribbean cruise leaving Tampa last Saturday, 12/20. The gangway was not removed and the doors were still opened. They were traveling from Orlando to Tampa and had to stop at a clinic because they thought their daughter might be coming down with an illness that turned out to be an alergy.They noticed that several ship's people were milling about.

Pleading with the ship or port people did not do any good.

Alas they did not take out insurance

Most likely they won't get any compensation from RC.

Any suggestions or contacts would be most helpful.

I am posting this on their behalf to see if there is anything or anybody they can contact to rebook this or another cruise and possibly plead their case.

I'm so sorry for your son and I hope the cruise line does something to help them but I don't know that they could have changed the rules and allowed them to board because if they did what would they set as the cutoff? Do you allow people 2 minutes after the last boarding time?, 5 minutes?, maybe 1 hour? or do you allow them 3 or 4 hours? and What reasons do you consider good enough to allow people to delay the entire ship and board later than the last allowed boarding time?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

This is cruise critic, we don't just beat dead horses, once the horse is dead we go after any other horse we can find.

See my previous posts, I am surprised it took so long for the "look was an excellent planner I am, you are a moron" posts to start. Maybe because yesterday was Christmas?

Hard lesson for the OP, sorry it happened.

I am also sorry it happened to the OP's son. It is a tough lesson for that family.

Other than you, who called anybody a moron, used the term moron, or anything close. Maybe you personally chose to apply such harsh judgement to some posts; that's you.

We all live our lives our own way; style differences do not mean people are morons. Some people allow extra time, tend to arrive early and thus generally end up cooling our heels. Other people plan to arrive right at the deadline so they do not have to wait around. I do not think either is "moronic"...though maybe both can be foolish are in their own way. The few times I have been late for something important, I felt foolish. I have also felt a fool when I arrive early for a meeting then sit and wait for the late arrivals.

I may have missed this but can someone clear this up. I understand it's about a 90 minute drive from Orlando to Tampa. What time did the family depart Orlando? When they arrived at the terminal were they permitted to go through security and then turned away at the check in counter?

Of those that I've seen being denied boarding it happened at the luggage drop off. They don't make it into the building.

You get my award for the most entertaining comment on this thread.

No you can't make it on time if you have if a child that needs medical attention and have to stop at a medical clinic.

I'm thinking you are not from Central Florida. Unless the child came down I'll suddenly after lunch, there is plenty of time to visit a medical clinic I the morning and still drive from Orlando to Tampa after lunch with time to spare.

Glad this thread is finally warmed up and going at full speed. Judgement, accusations, people stirring the pot, this is what makes cruise critic the special place it is.

Seriously, people wonder why the OP hasnt returned? Or why in threads like this they rarely return?

The OP's son made a huge planning mistake, very sorry it happened to them. A good lesson for others, also plan for the unexpected.

Now back to our regularly scheduled cruise critic postings.....

I replied to TWINDADDY! Yes it was intended. BTW/A lot of people miss them in the winter trying to fly from the NE to FL in Jan-Feb and arriving the morning of departure.Princess held up the ship 2 hrs at least due to a huge accident which killed several people We have never had the misfortune of missing one but the ride from Tianjen to Diamond Princess at the dock almost cost us our lives and 3 other cabs. All were running about 100 mph and a dump truck looked like he was making a u turn so we went right, he backed up we slid around him on the left. My wife said, "Did you see that?" I just said no. If you drive like Floridians, Orl to Tam is 20 minutes tops.LOL

Edited by WupperAV

All kidding aside, would trip insurance even cover this situation?

I just got done purchasing my insurance for my 2016 Princess cruise, on the major website that everyone uses to compares insurance plans....I looked over the fine print, as best I could tell just getting to the port late is not a covered benefit unless you had a traffic accident documented by a police report.

Thoughts?

I just got done purchasing my insurance for my 2016 Princess cruise, on the major website that everyone uses to compares insurance plans....I looked over the fine print, as best I could tell just getting to the port late is not a covered benefit unless you had a traffic accident documented by a police report.

Thoughts?

I expect that is right. Otherwise if you decided, ot to go [for some uninsured reason] all you would need to do is make sure you were running late.

Thoughts?

Depends what "cancel for any reason" means to that insurance company. Call the underwriter.