Denied boarding

shrifk

Isn't unaware pretty much a nicer word for ignorant? Now... back to some rocket science.

Maybe, though ignorant has a slightly different meaning to me. But yeah unaware might be nicer than ignorant and I´m fine for chosing ignorant for that reason as well.

So when we sailed Allure this past February the captain announces at 4:55 that they are making preparations on the bridge for an on-time departure. Three hours later Allure sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale because it was "supposedly" waiting for some late passengers. Try to make sense out of that.

I think the key is what time they close the manifest. If there are large numbers of passengers waiting, they might hold off on that longer than they would for just a few.

I also wonder if the port itself has something to do with adhering to sail times. Doesn't getting out of Tampa involve a bridge, and therefore tides? I haven't sailed out of there before, but I think I've read the ship size is restricted because of a bridge.

Years ago we were on a HA Alaskan cruise. We were traveling with DH, both our parents, and the wife of the captain. We came in the day before and she came in the day of. Her plane was delayed and she got to port about 30 minutes late and she was denied boarding. The captain said he would get in trouble for leaving late because he would have to make it up and use more gas, especially for a family member.

Lesson learned for us. If the captain can't wait for his wife they aren't going to wait for random passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm afraid cruise lines don't have the flexibility they once had in these matters. We once missed embarkation by a matter of hours, but RCI placed us on a comparable cruise the day after with no penalty or extra fees. That was twenty years ago and it made us life long fans of the company.

So when we sailed Allure this past February the captain announces at 4:55 that they are making preparations on the bridge for an on-time departure. Three hours later Allure sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale because it was "supposedly" waiting for some late passengers. Try to make sense out of that.

easy. the late pax had transportation arranged via the cruise line, thus were covered and were on the manifest. regardless of when the manifest was turned in( as scheduled or even late)

Our Cruise next Oct from QUEBEC, boarding is the 19 th while departure is the 20 th. We know a few from our RC won't arrive on the 19 th until 10 PM so will get permission to board late and check in once on board.

The factor here is the ship isn't sailing from the port on embarkation day but spending the first night in port and sailing the next evening.

It was a similar situation for the one way Honolulu to Ensenada cruise we did as on that cruise itinerary the ship was staying the first night in the embarkation port also. People were arriving late into the first evening and even the next day as our eDoc had only these re,

"Ship Check-in

Government regulations in some ports require us to submit a ship

departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing.

In order to meet this requirement, all guests must be checked-in no later

than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time. Guests arriving late will

not be permitted to sail."

Edited by robtulipe

easy. the late pax had transportation arranged via the cruise line, thus were covered and were on the manifest. regardless of when the manifest was turned in( as scheduled or even late)

Or even easier... the truth is the delay most likely had nothing to do with delayed passengers.

I can't believe the cruise line doesn't have some leeway in allowing people to board. It was minutes not hours, and the gangway was still in place. I equate this to a cop giving you a speeding ticket for going two miles per hour over the speed limit, on a major freeway. You are breaking the law, not some self imposed time limit set by the cruise line.

I can't believe the cruise line doesn't have some leeway in allowing people to board. It was minutes not hours, and the gangway was still in place. I equate this to a cop giving you a speeding ticket for going two miles per hour over the speed limit, on a major freeway. You are breaking the law, not some self imposed time limit set by the cruise line.

I believe if you read the entire post, the cruise line does not have the leeway - they are governed by the port, TSA, and other agencies. I think the posters who explained this, and the different rules from port-to-port, did a good job. The cruise line does not make the rules.

It is not some self imposed time limit when you are dealing with an agency of the Federal Government. I know it sticks to show up and see your ship sitting there and not be able to get on it. The IRS says your return must be filed by April 15. It doesn't matter that they might not get around to depositing your check for a week or more. The Feds make rules and everyone is expected to follow them.... except for the people who made them.;)

I believe if you read the entire post, the cruise line does not have the leeway - they are governed by the port, TSA, and other agencies. I think the posters who explained this, and the different rules from port-to-port, did a good job. The cruise line does not make the rules.

I think that is a bunch of crap. Like one of the other posters said about them holding the ship for hours waiting for people who booked their transportation through the cruise line. I've been on many sailings that didn't leave on time, with or without the gangplank still down. In fact, on our last cruise on the Equinox we left 45 minutes late, the gang plank had already been pulled away, and not a word was said about the delay.

I think that is a bunch of crap. Like one of the other posters said about them holding the ship for hours waiting for people who booked their transportation through the cruise line. I've been on many sailings that didn't leave on time, with or without the gangplank still down. In fact, on our last cruise on the Equinox we left 45 minutes late, the gang plank had already been pulled away, and not a word was said about the delay.

The ship does not always have the leeway to leave port late. If there is only a small window that the ship is scheduled to leave and there is no other slot available on the pilot's schedule for the ship to leave late, it has to leave. The cruise line can not just decide to leave 15 minutes late because they have late arriving passengers. They need to coordinate with the port authority to see if they can delay, sometimes they can, many times they can't.

You can think whatever you like. I think if you do a little research you'll find you're sorely mistaken.

It has nothing to do with the scheduled time of departure, grouchy agents, or gangplanks. The only thing that matters is the submission of the passenger manifest and government regulations. It's really no different than arriving late to a gate for a flight, seeing the jetway door open, and being denied boarding. Once the flight closes, it's too late. The same principle applies here.

But if you are 2 or 3 mph over an DO get ticketed, can you win in court? I doubt it.

You will never make it before a judge as the court clerk will dismiss it. Without other circumstances such as an accident, even traffic courts don't have the time to hear these type of "cases" and will dismiss all those that show up to their court date.

YMMV of course

That's because, first the officer, then the judge have the "leeway" to not enforce the letter of the law. If they didn't have the "leeway" then the courts would be backed up for years.

As far as the airline reference, in November, my son and daughter-in-law were coming back from Aruba, after celebrating their tenth anniversary, and were late getting into Charolette to be at the gate for their connecting flight. When they got to the gate, the door to the jetway was closed but the plane was still there. They opened the door and let them on the plane and it was a different airline than they took to Charolette. That's called leeway.

Actually in Florida you will win in Court since you can't get a citation for doing less than 6 MPH over the limit.

For Speeding, correct, but there is always the old Traffic Control Device for the cops to fall back on, and that is 4 points not 3!!

There are plenty of reasons for a ship to wait in port before or after gangplank is pulled....waiting for harbor traffic, waiting for pilot, safety checks, like divers doing underwater inspections, supplies not yet secured, etc. Yes, sometimes the ships are able to let people board late; lucky, lucky people if it happens. Other times, people are not allowed to board late; sad for them, no doubt. Still, the not-so-secret solution is to arrive early, not late...not even two minutes late.

BTW, I know people regularly say they are running "a couple minutes late." The rest of us have learned that "couple minutes" is apt to be more like 15, 30, or 45 minutes on our clocks. Since I do not know the OP's family, I do not know if they report times accurately or not. Sadly, even if they indeed were only two minutes late, they still were late, and thus they suffered the consequences.

The ship has as much leeway as the port will allow, they can stay all night if the port will allow it, BUT, once the manifest has been electronically submitted, then the ship is closed and no other passengers can board, if the cruise line knows that they have a large group of people arriving late, and the port allows them to stay later, then they can delay submittal of the manifest, they are not going to delay for one or two passengers.

That's because, first the officer, then the judge have the "leeway" to not enforce the letter of the law. If they didn't have the "leeway" then the courts would be backed up for years.

As far as the airline reference, in November, my son and daughter-in-law were coming back from Aruba, after celebrating their tenth anniversary, and were late getting into Charolette to be at the gate for their connecting flight. When they got to the gate, the door to the jetway was closed but the plane was still there. They opened the door and let them on the plane and it was a different airline than they took to Charolette. That's called leeway.

Assuming it was all purchased as one ticket, your son's airline example probably differs for the OP's son's situation. The airline delivered your son and his wife to Charlotte late; if they missed that flight, the airline would need to find seats for them on another flight. As the airline created the issue, the airline was invested in fixing the issue. The pilot and/or airline found the best solution to be re-opening the doors. And the anniversary might have worked in their favor; extra kindness on a special day.

Had the OP's family been on a cruise line transfer that was delayed, the cruise line would have been similarly obligated to find a solution.

In contrast, the OP's son's tardy arrival could not be laid at the cruise line's feet. Either they just left too late or the clinic stop took too long. While your son's anniversary might have made the doors more likely to re-open, the fact that the late family was showing up with a possibly sick child might even work against them. Medical staff would have to come ashore and assess the child. If their medical assessment differed, the situation could be more difficult than just citing the time.

Years ago, on our very first cruise, we got to the airport in plenty of time, but due to factors at the airport (none of which were of our making), by the time we got to the gate they had closed the plane door. We missed it by a minute or two. The plane was sitting there, the jetway was still extended, but they counted the plane as "departed" and we could not get on. Hours later, as we were leaving on another plane, that original plane was still sitting in exactly the same place (with our bags, which had made it aboard, even though we didn't).

Edited by Miss Vickie

Looks like you just gave up waiting a bit too soon. The Christmas miracle is over now. Lol

Yup, Christmas is over.

No kidding, it is like as soon as the clock struck December 26th, the mauling began.

I cant believe I had such little faith in a cruise critic thread, they never let me down. Nasty always wins.