Denied boarding

shrifk

While on Indy last month, they were still letting people board probably 30 mins after the cut off time. I feel for this family. While I agree that there is a time for a reason but it was only 2 mins, I'm sure other people have been more than 2 mins late and have been allowed to board in the past.

once the manifest is submitted, that is it.. doesn't matter if that is 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure, 10 minutes beforeor twenty minutes after

you also have to remember that if you are using cruise transporation from the airport, they will allow for 'late' boarding as technically they have already been checked in once they are on that bus/shuttle and thus are on teh manifest.

Yes. It could be. But it just goes to show people can board after the 90 minutes before sailing time frame. There are always exceptions to the rule and in this case 2 frigging minutes, really, sounds like a power tripping or lazy Tampa agent.

THE AGENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

once the manifest s submitted the CRUISE IS CLOSED. they will NOT be able/allowed to check anyone in after that manifest has been submitted,.

if you want to blame anyone, blame the Coast Guard and TSA for requiring the manifest to be submitted before scheduled departure time

Orlando to Tampa and still could not get there on time.... Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. That really is not that far. Poor contingency planning.

Always arrive at the departure port the night before departure. One nights stay at a Holiday Day Inn is only $120 (ballpark average).

JKrise

Agreed. That really is not that far. Poor contingency planning.

Always arrive at the departure port the night before departure. One nights stay at a Holiday Day Inn is only $120 (ballpark average).

JKrise

It's only about a 90 minute trip from those two areas

Sailing on Adventure out of San Juan people were still boarding during Muster. So clearly past the 90 minutes cut off time. Clearly circumstances prevail sometimes.

If I remember the muster was about 5pm but sail away wasn't until 8.30pm. ;)

Needless to say better planning was needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon or sound negative but that is definitely right. I still think there are always exceptions to the rule though especially when 2 minutes late.

My son and his family were not allowed to board because they were about two minutes after the close boarding time. This was a 4 day Caribbean cruise leaving Tampa last Saturday, 12/20. The gangway was not removed and the doors were still opened. They were traveling from Orlando to Tampa and had to stop at a clinic because they thought their daughter might be coming down with an illness that turned out to be an alergy.They noticed that several ship's people were milling about.

Pleading with the ship or port people did not do any good.

Alas they did not take out insurance

Most likely they won't get any compensation from RC.

Any suggestions or contacts would be most helpful.

I am posting this on their behalf to see if there is anything or anybody they can contact to rebook this or another cruise and possibly plead their case.

After three pages of replies, I went back and re-read the Original Post.

I wonder how long after the 90 minutes it was?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I purchase insurance for every cruise. If the cruiseline is going to re-imburse, or allow them to take a later cruise, since they did not have insurance, then I guess I'm just wasting my money on insurance for the added protection.

They should have been responsible, and at least purchased insurance for "just in case"

I think it's a shame they had to miss the cruise. However, not knowing the exact regulations/procedures/timing required, I don't see anyway this can be the fault of RCI.

1) How long did the clinic stop slow them down? To me, even if it was 60 or 90 minutes, that would have been too close for me. All it would take is a flat tire, an accident on the highway, or some other unforeseen circumstance to eat that time up.

2) Did they call ahead? Surely the number was available somewhere.

3) What were they going to do if the clinic said the child couldn't sail? They'd still be without a cruise and no insurance.

I agree with those who say email RCI because you have nothing to lose. However, don't emphasize the 2 minutes late. Before they sent the email they should determine what they're asking for. A complete refund? Credit (full or partial) toward another cruise? Something else. I think they need to take at least some responsibility for the issue and offer something up. Maybe ask for a 50% refund or 75% credit toward another cruise?

wait for it.....wait for it......I know there is a certain post coming...........

I am anxiously waiting...what is this post? Who is it from...suspense is killing me!

I was waiting for the "you arrived late and you want the cruise line to compensate you...." post, but it never came.

Call it a Cruise Critic Christmas miracle, overall people were well behaved in this thread.

Terrible situation for the OP, my nightmare honestly. I usually stay a couple miles from the port the night before, and have about 3 back up plans for transportation, just in case.

While I feel sorry for the family - it's Christmas, only a few minutes, etc., there are thousands of people who fly in the day before a cruise and stay close to the port to prevent such problems.

I have a hard time sympathizing with anyone who lives so close to the port and clearly didn't leave enough time ...... flat tire, accident, anything could have delayed the journey.

We all know to be on board ahead of time - it's just as simple as that.

As a response to those talking about San Juan and boarding during muster drill, several years ago we were stuck in transit to a cruise sailig out of San Juan. Our flight from Chicago to Miami was delayed, missed the connection to San Juan. We had planned to spend the night prior to the cruise in San Juan. Instead spent a long night in airports trying to make connections - along with thousands of others. We were flying American Airlines and they finally got us out of Miami to San Juan. There were loads of flights delayed and we ended up just making the cruise. The cruise was actually held and departed late - from memory I think they waited for over 500 passengers coming in on delayed flights. I distinctly remember going to the muster drill straight from boarding - we didn't have our life jackets (they were required at that time), but they just sent us straight there.

My point is that it does happen - at some ports they can wait - but I think the circumstances I outlined are very different than one family arriving late. Again, sorry it happened to them, but I think it should be a tough lesson learned.

I always arrive the day before when I need to fly to a port, but can easily imagine that if I were traveling to a local port 90 minutes away I would arrive on the day of. The only thing I'd suggest to others is to call ahead of time to explain the situation to RC and let them know they were on their way so they can maximize their chances of making the cruise (a sympathetic employee may have been able to hold the manifest slightly longer, but there are of course no guarantees).

I totally agree that it is worth a phone call or email to request a refund, but would understand if RC chose not to give them anything at all, since they make money off travel insurance and try hard to sell it to cruisers.

After three pages of replies, I went back and re-read the Original Post.

I wonder how long after the 90 minutes it was?

That was my thought before I finished reading the original post. How is it everything comes in twos. "I was only two minutes late and they fired me" or "I was only going two miles over the limit and the cop gave me a ticket anyway." My all time favorite is, "Honestly osssifer, I only had two beers." Must be the skeptic in me. :D

We all know to be on board ahead of time - it's just as simple as that.

Or not...perhaps these are first time cruisers and not as knowledgeable about timelines etc. At the end of the day it is a tough lesson but it is entirely possible they were unaware.

I was waiting for the "you arrived late and you want the cruise line to compensate you...." post, but it never came.

Call it a Cruise Critic Christmas miracle, overall people were well behaved in this thread.

Terrible situation for the OP, my nightmare honestly. I usually stay a couple miles from the port the night before, and have about 3 back up plans for transportation, just in case.

Looks like you just gave up waiting a bit too soon. The Christmas miracle is over now. Lol

Or not...perhaps these are first time cruisers and not as knowledgeable about timelines etc. At the end of the day it is a tough lesson but it is entirely possible they were unaware.

How knowledgeable do I Need to be to know there´s a timeline involved with any mode of Transportation?

When I took my first cruise I knew what time I had to be there and they wouldn´t wait for me. It´s really not Rocket science and if some first time cruiser is unaware I call that plain and simple ignorant.

I've seen ships wait for late arriving flights and guests board well after muster. Sounds like a check in agent in Tampa on a bit of a power trip. Sucks to miss out on vacation.
Has nothing to do with a "power trip"..:rolleyes: If you arrive late and choose not to purchase insurance, lesson learned hopefully. If you have choice air from RCL you will sometimes see the 90 minute criteria before boarding waved. It's cut and dry in your cruise documents, you might want to read them!...:rolleyes:

I, too, feel sorry this happened. Seems like "2 minutes" wouldn't be such a big deal. But then neither would be 5 or 10 or 20... where is the "well it actually IS now too late to board" line get drawn? Someone likened it to speeding..."well it was only 2 mph over." Or 3 or 5 or 10. It seems you can do "less than 10 mph over" and not get ticketed. But if you are 2 or 3 mph over an DO get ticketed, can you win in court? I doubt it.

But the real question for me is what time did the OP leave for the port? 90 min. drive, if they left at 11 to get there by 12:30, that is reasonable. If they left at 1 to get there at 2:30 with an all aboard at 3:30, that leaves little time for chance.

But it really doesn't matter anyway. I am sure that the reason they were denied boarding was because the passenger manifest was closed before they arrived and couldn't be re-opened. It surely isn't in RCCL's best interest to deny boarding and anger potential return customers, lose all the on board spending, and create negative impressions like many here. I think they just got caught at a port that closes out on time, and it's simply too late.

We always board early. But last cruise we came too close for me. We had boarding times up to 3:30 in an email. We arrived at the port and were through security at 2:30. They were closing security behind us and there were only a few more to board. Cut it too close for me. Could have found us in the same boat (no pun intended). I was armed with an email, but it would likely have done no good. I do always carry insurance because of the possibility of a family emergency (older parents, etc). In the OP's case, they could have possibly used the visit to the ER as a "covered reason."

Will be interested in whether or not RCCL does anything.

I do sort of agree that people don't want to spend the money on insurance, but when something like this happens, are upset that they don't get a refund or credit. That really is the chance you take when you don't insure.

The OP says his family was traveling from Orlando to Tampa. I live halfway between the two cities. In worse traffic, it takes an hour and half to drive from Orlando to Tampa. I, also, know there was no major traffic accidents that day closing I-4. I do not understand why they couldn't have planned their day better in order to get to the port on time.

Walk-in clinics are a dime a dozen in this area and normally don't take long to get into. What time did they go to the clinic? First thing in the morning or after noon?

I feel sorry for them not making their cruise. However, being familiar with Central Florida, I feel they made some poor judgements in planning their time to the port. Missing a cruise is a hard lesson to lose.

I, too, feel sorry this happened. Seems like "2 minutes" wouldn't be such a big deal. But then neither would be 5 or 10 or 20... where is the "well it actually IS now too late to board" line get drawn? Someone likened it to speeding..."well it was only 2 mph over." Or 3 or 5 or 10. It seems you can do "less than 10 mph over" and not get ticketed. But if you are 2 or 3 mph over an DO get ticketed, can you win in court? I doubt it.

But the real question for me is what time did the OP leave for the port? 90 min. drive, if they left at 11 to get there by 12:30, that is reasonable. If they left at 1 to get there at 2:30 with an all aboard at 3:30, that leaves little time for chance.

But it really doesn't matter anyway. I am sure that the reason they were denied boarding was because the passenger manifest was closed before they arrived and couldn't be re-opened. It surely isn't in RCCL's best interest to deny boarding and anger potential return customers, lose all the on board spending, and create negative impressions like many here. I think they just got caught at a port that closes out on time, and it's simply too late.

We always board early. But last cruise we came too close for me. We had boarding times up to 3:30 in an email. We arrived at the port and were through security at 2:30. They were closing security behind us and there were only a few more to board. Cut it too close for me. Could have found us in the same boat (no pun intended). I was armed with an email, but it would likely have done no good. I do always carry insurance because of the possibility of a family emergency (older parents, etc). In the OP's case, they could have possibly used the visit to the ER as a "covered reason."

Will be interested in whether or not RCCL does anything.

I do sort of agree that people don't want to spend the money on insurance, but when something like this happens, are upset that they don't get a refund or credit. That really is the chance you take when you don't insure.

Actually in Florida you will win in Court since you can't get a citation for doing less than 6 MPH over the limit.

THE AGENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

once the manifest s submitted the CRUISE IS CLOSED. they will NOT be able/allowed to check anyone in after that manifest has been submitted,.

if you want to blame anyone, blame the Coast Guard and TSA for requiring the manifest to be submitted before scheduled departure time

So when we sailed Allure this past February the captain announces at 4:55 that they are making preparations on the bridge for an on-time departure. Three hours later Allure sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale because it was "supposedly" waiting for some late passengers. Try to make sense out of that.

Even the ones who are usually somewhat grumpy!

How knowledgeable do I Need to be to know there´s a timeline involved with any mode of Transportation?

When I took my first cruise I knew what time I had to be there and they wouldn´t wait for me. It´s really not Rocket science and if some first time cruiser is unaware I call that plain and simple ignorant.

Isn't unaware pretty much a nicer word for ignorant? Now... back to some rocket science.