Denied boarding

shrifk

For Speeding, correct, but there is always the old Traffic Control Device for the cops to fall back on, and that is 4 points not 3!!

Traffic control device is 3 points. The only time it's 4 points is if you're cited for 15 mph or more above the speed limit. If a crash is involved all points are doubled.

As the expression goes "Poor planning on your part, does not justify an emergency on my part." Whether at initial embarking or a intra-cruise ports, I am ALWAYS in vicinity of the ship at least an hour before I have to be, and to make sure of that I plan to be there two hours before. I have (past tense) been a member of organizations that waited a few minutes for stragglers, and before long they were waiting 45 minutes for people to show up, and I quit attending. If RCI starts regularly waiting for the poor planners, I'll be looking for another cruise line. I get out of bed at 5am to be on the road at 6am from Pinellas Co, FL for the 4.5 hours to Port Everglades and my 5pm (3:30pm 90 minute close). I know it is Christmas, but sorry, if one can't plan better than that from Orlando to Tampa (even with a clinic stop) I don't have a lot of sympathy; I'm not interested in sacrificing part of my vacation to someone else's poor planning.

Thom

Years ago, on our very first cruise, we got to the airport in plenty of time, but due to factors at the airport (none of which were of our making), by the time we got to the gate they had closed the plane door. We missed it by a minute or two. The plane was sitting there, the jetway was still extended, but they counted the plane as "departed" and we could not get on. Hours later, as we were leaving on another plane, that original plane was still sitting in exactly the same place (with our bags, which had made it aboard, even though we didn't).

Something similar happened to me... I had an early (6am) flight in the middle of winter. They had to deice the plane and we were late leaving. They made up some time in the air, but not enough. As I got to my connecting gate, the door to the jetway was closed but the plane was still there, hadn't even started engines yet. They still couldn't let me on. I ended waiting 3 hours for another flight. The connecting flight I missed was less than 30 minutes in duration.

if you want to blame anyone, blame the Coast Guard and TSA for requiring the manifest to be submitted before scheduled departure time

Better yet, let's remember to blame the original 9/11 people who caused all this Homeland Security and TSA stuff in the first place.

No you can't make it on time if you have if a child that needs medical attention and have to stop at a medical clinic.

It would depend how slow the clinic and how much time the family had planned for mishaps/delays.

We are always excited for a cruise, so if we were staying 90 minutes from the port, the car would be packed the day before. We'd get up early, thrilled to hit the road en route to the ship. We'd plan to leave by 8:30 at the latest so we'd be parked and at the terminal by 10:30. If the cut off time was 3:30, that would leave us a five hour buffer. So, I totally believe we'd have time for a stop at a medical clinic (and maybe enough buffer a flat tire or traffic delay, too). If the clinic was so busy we couldn't get in and out within 2-3 hours, we'd find a different clinic. Or more likely for minor symptoms (like "maybe the child might be coming down with something"), we'd probably just plan to see the ship's medical staff; the required form is going to flag us for review anyway.

In case you are wondering, we are always at the airport way before flight time as we build in time for mishaps/delays en route. Sometimes things go so smoothly, we are so early, we have to wait for the airline to accept our bags!

I know others are comfortable cutting it closer, but we all know the closer one cuts it, the higher the odds of missing the ship. Life is full of such trade-offs. No matter how they planned their day, I am sincerely sorry the family missed their Christmas cruise.

No you can't make it on time if you have if a child that needs medical attention and have to stop at a medical clinic.
Nor could you make it if you had a flat tire OR if you had engine trouble OR if there was a traffic fiasco on I-4 (which seems to happen more days than not); planning for SOME problem is integral to having confidence that you will make it. If one or more of those had happened in addition, I might have some sympathy, but since none of those seemed to have occurred, apparently there was NO emergency time built in. That is called poor planning.

Thom

Sorry you missed your cruise. I was on it and will never go on the Brilliance again. Terrible beds, bad service, definitely didn't deliver a wow this time.

Wow, cannot believe you had that experience. We loved Brilliance and cannot wait to go on her again in Jan.

How very disappointing this was for the family. Perhaps they had not sailed before and did not understand it is just like flying somewhere and you can not be late or will miss your flight/cruise. Hard lesson to learn. We were probably like that the first time we sailed looking back and flew in across the country the same day we sailed.

Of course now we would never do such a thing. We fly in 2 days internationally and one with in the country. Even now when we can drive to a port five hours makes us uneasy and we have yet to drive the same day but may try it leaving at five a.m. Just to build in extra time for a flat tire or breakdown.

An ill child while a concern is no excuse at the last minute unless the child is extremely ill. Something that thankfully turned out to be allergies would not fall into this category. No high fever, etc. A quick stop for some meds at the drugstore and get to the ship. They could have stopped at an ergent care at 8 a.m. with plenty of time to spare.

And always buy travel insurance period.

Hope they will try again someday much wiser.

There are plenty of reasons for a ship to wait in port before or after gangplank is pulled....waiting for harbor traffic, waiting for pilot, safety checks, like divers doing underwater inspections, supplies not yet secured, etc. Yes, sometimes the ships are able to let people board late; lucky, lucky people if it happens. Other times, people are not allowed to board late; sad for them, no doubt. Still, the not-so-secret solution is to arrive early, not late...not even two minutes late.

BTW, I know people regularly say they are running "a couple minutes late." The rest of us have learned that "couple minutes" is apt to be more like 15, 30, or 45 minutes on our clocks. Since I do not know the OP's family, I do not know if they report times accurately or not. Sadly, even if they indeed were only two minutes late, they still were late, and thus they suffered the consequences.

This. No one knows for sure if OP's son's family was really just 2 minutes late, or perhaps a little longer.

Wow, cannot believe you had that experience. We loved Brilliance and cannot wait to go on her again in Jan.

Maybe they were just trying to make the OP feel better about his son's family missing the cruise.

Sometimes there's no accounting for one's perceptions. We just got off on the 15th and we were WOWed. Go figure. :confused:

This seems like a post that should have stopped after a few responses.

I guess the what if ' s are fun to talk about. Surprised to see this still going strong.

This is cruise critic, we don't just beat dead horses, once the horse is dead we go after any other horse we can find.

See my previous posts, I am surprised it took so long for the "look was an excellent planner I am, you are a moron" posts to start. Maybe because yesterday was Christmas?

Hard lesson for the OP, sorry it happened.

This is cruise critic, we don't just beat dead horses, once the horse is dead we go after any other horse we can find.

See my previous posts, I am surprised it took so long for the "look was an excellent planner I am, you are a moron" posts to start. Maybe because yesterday was Christmas?

And we were just starting to get to parenting skills and not taking the kid to the doctor sooner.

And we were just starting to get to parenting skills and not taking the kid to the doctor sooner.

A natural progression of this thread. I am surprised there were no "what freeway did you take to the port" posts, though some people alluded to it.

Sorry to break the flow...back to parenting skills.....

So when we sailed Allure this past February the captain announces at 4:55 that they are making preparations on the bridge for an on-time departure. Three hours later Allure sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale because it was "supposedly" waiting for some late passengers. Try to make sense out of that.

I would suspect that:

1. The cruise line was notified in advance that the passengers were going to be late

2. Probably late due to some common carrier issue that impacted a number of passengers.

The key being the notification to the cruise line of the delay. If they know they can hold off on submitting the paperwork as long as possible. If they haven't been called and notified then when the line is gone and time arrives to submit, the paperwork is submitted and thats it.

An ill child while a concern is no excuse at the last minute unless the child is extremely ill. Something that thankfully turned out to be allergies would not fall into this category. No high fever, etc. A quick stop for some meds at the drugstore and get to the ship. They could have stopped at an ergent care at 8 a.m. with plenty of time to spare.

Sometimes "allergies" mimic other serious illnesses. A serious allergic reaction can even cause death! I'd rather play it safe & risk missing the cruise than deal with potentially serious consequences. Sorry that the family missed their cruise. I'm sure they've learned from this experience. :)

I feel badly for the OP. [emoji45]

First their family missed the boat, then they turn to CC for some friendly advice, and now here we are... It's a bit like showing up for a counseling appointment, only to realize it's a taping of the Jerry Springer Show. [emoji33]

The masses are entertained, but little help or healing has occurred. ( I'm sure we really dig into it, Quantum and dynamic dining was to blame here) [emoji48]

Edited by HiCSailor
After fact-checking myself. No humorous elements were harmed in this edit.