St. Thomas & St. Maarten

voyagerusa

Hello~ :)

Please recommend nice beaches that I can stay with my children (under 5 years old) while our ports are St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Tortola.

I will appreciate if anyone let me know the name of the beaches and the directions (how to get there; by taxi or by walk.. etc.)

Thank you in advance~!

In St. Thomas I would go to Megan's Bay. The water is calm (great for kids). Any taxi will take you there. There are many at the ship - there are also rest rooms (I would wear footwear in them (floors always seem wet) and there is a restaurant (IMO great pizza). You can also rent chairs if you want. It does get crowded so I would check and see how many ships in port.

In St.Martins you can take the shuttle at the end of the dock into the town beach.It will cost you $7 and you get an arm band and you can use it all day long.You can get chairs and umbrellas and there are resturants all along the walkway if you need to use the restroom.

In St.Martins you can take the shuttle at the end of the dock into the town beach.It will cost you $7 and you get an arm band and you can use it all day long.You can get chairs and umbrellas and there are resturants all along the walkway if you need to use the restroom.

I vote for this one in St. Maarten too. It is in Philipsburg, right close to the pier. It would be the easiest with kids. We always take the water taxi - $7 for all day use. Enjoy!

DSCN5699_zps5bb4eb3d.jpeg

DSCN5649_zps047a200b.jpeg

DSCN5659_zps3888f98e.jpeg

Hello~ :)

Please recommend nice beaches that I can stay with my children (under 5 years old) while our ports are St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Tortola.

I will appreciate if anyone let me know the name of the beaches and the directions (how to get there; by taxi or by walk.. etc.)

Thank you in advance~!

Sapphire beach in St Thomas was one of the nicest days at any beach that I ever ever had. Also really nice was Secret Harbour.

St Maarten - I find the best way to enjoy a day there is to grab the water taxi and then hit the beach right in town. You can get up and wander around town, do some shopping and head right back to the beach if you want.

The last beach I'd go to in St Thomas is Megans Bay. Sure it's pretty there, but because of that it's a crowded tourist trap. And you have to pay to get in.

I prefer Emerald by the airport. Nice uncrowded beach with facilities and food on each end of the beach

Chairs for rent if you like. About $6 - $7 pp each way

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Edited by SeaUs

My picks with small children:

Secret Harbour in St. Thomas (my kids LOVED it)

and Le Galion Beach in St. Martin (check it out on Tripadvisor, the locals sometimes call it "baby beach" because it is very calm and sheltered)

The last beach I'd go to in St Thomas is Megans Bay. Sure it's pretty there, but because of that it's a crowded tourist trap. And you have to pay to get in.

I prefer Emerald by the airport. Nice uncrowded beach with facilities and food on each end of the beach

Chairs for rent if you like. About $6 - $7 pp each way

I have to agree that Megan's Bay is beautiful, but a real tourist trap. The last time I was there I found it terribly overcrowded!

Cheryl

I would NOT spend all that time going to St. John with small kids...too much trouble.....but it is the most beautiful beach!!! Do it when they're older, or you're with an adult!

Also, the ship will be virtually empty on a port day...a good time to make use of the ship's facilities!!

Edited by cb at sea

I vote for this one in St. Maarten too. It is in Philipsburg, right close to the pier. It would be the easiest with kids. We always take the water taxi - $7 for all day use. Enjoy!

What is the name of the beach and how to get the water taxi and where do u get off?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What is the name of the beach and how to get the water taxi and where do u get off?

I don't know if the beach has a specific name. It is a long beach in front of Philipsburg. You just take the water taxi from the port to Philipsburg. There are two stops in Philipsburg, and you can get off at either to walk onto this beach. It is very easy. :) Just follow the crowds to the entrance for the water taxi.

Is the beach a close walk once you get off the water taxi

Very close - about 50 yards. This is the taxi stop where I usually get off. You just walk from this little pier, through the gate, and onto the beach. The water taxis make only 3 stops - 1 at the ship pier and two in Philipsburg. Either Philipsburg stop will lead you right to the beach, but this one is easier: (On the map it is called Captain Hodge Pier).

011_zpsd19101fc.jpeg

Edited by APDMOM
Add name of pier

Megan's Bay in St. Thomas is good. I would not recommend Great Bay in Phillipsburg: yes, it is easy to get to from the pier, but the water has been periodically reported as polluted. It also has a sort of crowded, Coney Island feel. A great beach for children is Le Gallion - perhaps a 20 minute taxi ride for the pier - good food, beach chairs and umbrellas available -- most important for small children is the fact that it is shallow and well enclosed, making it ideal for the five and under set.

Hi Carol!

Where is Secret Harbor, in all my trips to St Thomas, I've never heard of it!

Cheryl

Secret Harbor is a hotel. You can use the beach there. Chairs can be rented from the scuba/snorkel shop. It's a nice quiet beach.