Quantums grande resturant dress code slips

Having one restaurant dedicated to formal theme sounds good in theory, but I noticed on our Quantum cruise that it wasn't very realistic.

It's silly for just a handful of people dining in that venue on a given night to dress up when the rest of the ship is casual.

Formal works better when it's the theme across the entire ship, and a certain tone is set throughout and most of the people are dressed similarly.

I happen to enjoy a traditional formal night, but I did not dine in The Grande because the special atmosphere throughout the ship was missing and I didn't want to stand out as being dressed up amongst a ship full of people who weren't.

This is ridiculous. You dress up because you want to or like to, not because everyone else is doing it. And if someone else doesn't dress up, it doesn't have any effect on the level of the service you get or the taste of the food.

On the other hand, if the cruise line designates a particular restaurant to be formal, while all other restaurants are casual, then the dress code in that one restaurant should be strictly enforced.

What is a string vest?

Click on the link below ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/String-Vest-Cotton-Quality-KEYRING/dp/B006H28Z7A

Note, these are (or used to be) big in the UK and the OP is from the UK. Here is America we have a different name for this undergarment. However, I don't care for the name so I will not post it here.

Edited by Cuizer2

Having one restaurant dedicated to formal theme sounds good in theory, but I noticed on our Quantum cruise that it wasn't very realistic.

It's silly for just a handful of people dining in that venue on a given night to dress up when the rest of the ship is casual.

Formal works better when it's the theme across the entire ship, and a certain tone is set throughout and most of the people are dressed similarly.

I happen to enjoy a traditional formal night, but I did not dine in The Grande because the special atmosphere throughout the ship was missing and I didn't want to stand out as being dressed up amongst a ship full of people who weren't.

This is ridiculous. You dress up because you want to or like to, not because everyone else is doing it. And if someone else doesn't dress up, it doesn't have any effect on the level of the service you get or the taste of the food.

On the other hand, if the cruise line designates a particular restaurant to be formal, while all other restaurants are casual, then the dress code in that one restaurant should be strictly enforced.

Although we all like to think we are our own individuals, and we will do what pleases us, or makes us feel good - ie dressing up formally because you WANT to... I think the reality is that if the ship does not have a general formal theme going on for the evening - I think a lot of people would feel out of place wearing their tuxes/gowns to visit a speciality restaurant while the entire rest of the ship is dressed in casual. For these people, the special feel of a formal night would likely not be there.

Just my opinion. Then again - I actually enjoyed the NCL freestyle dining. but, I do dress up on Royal's formal nights.

Edited by Toddcan

To be honest-I have been walking around in shorts with my family and MANY other people for years on ships dining in the WJ happy as could be on formal nights.

Why should the one formal restaurant be any different that any ship in the fleet today?

IMHO-the "masses" stopped wearing formal a long time ago.

Dress up because you want to and not because they recommended you do that night I'm thinking.

Although we all like to think we are our own individuals, and we will do what pleases us, or makes us feel good - ie dressing up formally because you WANT to... I think the reality is that if the ship does not have a general formal theme going on for the evening - I think a lot of people would feel out of place wearing their tuxes/gowns to visit a speciality restaurant while the entire rest of the ship is dressed in casual. For these people, the special feel of a formal night would likely not be there.

Just my opinion. Then again - I actually enjoyed the NCL freestyle dining. but, I do dress up on Royal's formal nights.

I've been on NCL. There are optional formal nights and some people do get dressed up. I've also been on several other cruises and I've seen people get dressed up on non-formal nights. You are on vacation, not at work. You should dress as you see fit, not as others see fit.

And on the flip side, it is unfair to expect the rest of the ship to dress up just because you want to. If you don't feel comfortable with the casual dress code, then try Crystal, which has a much more conservative dress code.

Note, these are (or used to be) big in the UK and the OP is from the UK. Here is America we have a different name for this undergarment. However, I don't care for the name so I will not post it here.

Now I kind of wish I didn't ask ;)

Edited by queenschick9b

I personally enjoy the formal nights on standard cruises. Gives my family some nice photo ops. Plus...I like looking good ;). I have to say if I saw one of those nets worn into The Grande I might be pretty furious. The cruise line should strictly enforce their dress codes. Simply giving someone a coat to put over their inappropriate shirt is not good enough.

If you're uncomfortable in a tux or a long gown, then don't wear it but do not insist on some one else dressing in a way they do not wish in order to make some one else feel better.

Formal attire (which is very loosely defined) is required in Grande. It's only suggested across the rest of the fleet. The problem is that Quantum doesn't have enough room in the 4 included restaurants to accommodate everybody, so they probably have to overflow into Grande. They could turn people away and send them to the WJ, but I imagine that people would flock to Guest Servics to remove their tips. The ship, being caught in a dilemma of Miami's making, is opting to keep everybody fed and happy. That's my theory, anyway.

Edited by critterchick

Why would anyone wear that into any restaurant? Land or sea, UK or USA that is not any kind of shirt for a restaurant.

Formal attire (which is very loosely defined) is required in Grande. It's only suggested across the rest of the fleet. The problem is that Quantum doesn't have enough room in the 4 included restaurants to accommodate everybody, so they probably have to overflow into Grande. They could turn people away and send them to the WJ, but I imagine that people would flock to Guest Servics to remove their tips. The ship, being caught in a dilemma of Miami's making, is opting to keep everybody fed and happy. That's my theory, anyway.

From the reports I've read, reservations are more difficult to get in Grande than in the other restaurants implying that overflow would likely be to the venues, ie, Silk, Coastal, etc.

The problem with restaurant capacity is not peculiar to Quantum or to any cruise ship. No ship can accommodate all the passengers at one time. On most ships with traditional dining about half or more passengers are required to dine at specific times. Either early or late. But most passengers, if it were left to themselves, want to dine in the 6:30 to 7:30 period which means a whole bunch of people arrive at the same time. Royal needs to figure out how to regulate traffic flow into the dining rooms. I'm thinking strict enforcement of reservations or arranging show times so passengers would want to dine at other times.

I personally enjoy the formal nights on standard cruises. Gives my family some nice photo ops. Plus...I like looking good ;). I have to say if I saw one of those nets worn into The Grande I might be pretty furious. The cruise line should strictly enforce their dress codes. Simply giving someone a coat to put over their inappropriate shirt is not good enough.

I agree with you 100%. My DH is happy to wear his tux on formal nights and had no problem with the concept of the Grande requiring formal attire.

Let's hope we keep some of the romance on the ships.

Kathy

From the reports I've read, reservations are more difficult to get in Grande than in the other restaurants implying that overflow would likely be to the venues, ie, Silk, Coastal, etc.

The problem with restaurant capacity is not peculiar to Quantum or to any cruise ship. No ship can accommodate all the passengers at one time. On most ships with traditional dining about half or more passengers are required to dine at specific times. Either early or late. But most passengers, if it were left to themselves, want to dine in the 6:30 to 7:30 period which means a whole bunch of people arrive at the same time. Royal needs to figure out how to regulate traffic flow into the dining rooms. I'm thinking strict enforcement of reservations or arranging show times so passengers would want to dine at other times.

Good to know. If Grande is indeed that popular, it would be nice if they would send a reminder to the cabin that "formal" attire is required and anybody not complying with the very minimal requirements will be turned away. Kind of a "no shoes, no shirt, no service," on a more upscale level.

As for RCI figuring out dining dynamics, the whole concept of DD, MTD, ATD (Princess), etc. seems not to work very well as far as getting people seated, from all that I've read here and witnessed personally. And then they need to adjust for the market they're catering to - Latin Americans and many Europeans dine far later than the average American, who isn't really RCI's target market these days.

Why would anyone wear that into any restaurant? Land or sea, UK or USA that is not any kind of shirt for a restaurant.

I am not defending the wearing of that garment (which is designed to be worn under a shirt, not worn just by itself). I was simply responding to a question.

Maybe Grande is as popular as it is because of the items on the menu, rather than one's desire to be dressed formally.

Perhaps the first thing people are doing is checking out what the restaurant offers, rather than wanting to dress for the occasion. Maybe there needs to be an option where one can dress informally, but get the same food that is on Le Grande menu. Then you can really see what drives people to Le Grande.. food or formal dress?

For me.. personally.. I found the Grande menu to be the most appealing. And I HATE getting dressed formally for dinner. I have not been on Quantum so have not had to make the choice, but as the dress is dumbed down, more and more people who like the Grande menu will take a chance that they can get in in smart casual.

Actually there are ships that can handle all the passengers in one seating. However, those ships are smaller and a bit more expensive.

Edited by Cuizer2