Are there advantages to booking directly with the cruise line?

RandSluv2cruise

I've booked directly with the cruise line and I've also booked with online travel agencies. The only advantage that I can think of to booking directly with the cruise line is that you don't have to deal with a middle man if you have any questions or issues. I always book with whoever is offering the better deal.

The only advantage to booking directly with a cruise line is you can have the honor of paying more money for your cruise. After booking an awful lot of cruises (we have spent nearly 4 years on cruise ships) we have only once (in nearly forty years of cruising) found an instance when booking directly with a cruise line had some advantages. Using various online Cruise/Travel agencies generally saves us 5-10% on a cruise (often in the form of amenities like extra on board credits, prepaid gratuities, etc). On some of our longer cruises our savings have been thousands of dollars on a single booking. For those that want to book directly with cruise lines we say "bless you" because we are stockholders and reap some of the benefits :).

Hnak

We have used a TA locally for over 25 years.

Because we use her company that pays the yearly fee for American Express Platinum, we are able to get $300 extra shipboard credit from AMEX and perks from her which HAL can't give us.

We also like being able to call her whenever we want to and stop in to see her whenever we want to.

I've booked directly with the cruise line and I've also booked with online travel agencies. The only advantage that I can think of to booking directly with the cruise line is that you don't have to deal with a middle man if you have any questions or issues. I always book with whoever is offering the better deal.

While you can deal directly with the cruise line when you book thru the line, it also means there is no one on your side when a problem occurs. A TA is going to be much better at maneuvering thru the cruise line bureaucracy than you are.

I have booked all but 3 of my cruises directly with Princess, and far prefer the control it allows me over my bookings. ANYTIME I have had a concern, question, or issue, all I have to do is pick up the phone and use the speed dial to call Princess to get it taken care of. I have never had an issue related on bookings that Princess could not resolve.

I know I have a need to feel that I am in control, but I really do not like having to go thru a 3rd party to get answers or resolutions when I can do it myself very quickly.

Is it worth $600 to have total control of your booking, and no assistance with an issue (if needed). :eek:

Not to me.

I often see people citing "Keeping control" as a reason for booking directly. I have never understood what that means. I have rarely had a problem, but everytime, my TA has quickly resolved it.

We'e always gotten the same or better deals when booking direct. More importantly: much less hassle!

After 1 bad experience with a TA we will never go that route again.

We would just suggest that you have not shopped among the proper agencies :). As to hassles, all but one of the agencies that we routinely use have excellent web site booking engines (usually better then the cruise line's own booking engines) where we can book nearly any cruise with a few clicks of the mouse. When we shop around for a particular cruise it normally takes us about 30 minutes to check the web sites of 3-5 agencies and then do a quick comparison to the cruise line's own offering.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have booked myself and I have booked through a TA. The TA I used gave me no discounts, and a "free" coupon book for my trouble. I had to call her to get a discount that she wasn't watching for. She booked us on a flight to the port that dod not exist (I still don't understand how she did that) and I had to find the right flights and give her all the info so she could then book us on the right flight.

I am a person who had looked for discount TA's and had had not much luck...I know they are out there...but for me, it is much less hassle to deal with the cruise line myself.

So far, I was able to book the cruise, get a procures hotel package and the flight to the port locked in with a minimum of hassle. True, I might have paid a little more, but I don't mind because I do not have to worry whether it is getting done or not.

Just today, I checked the cruise and saw a big sale on-I called Princess and in 5 minutes, saved $400 on the cruise, got $200 of OBC and a free diner for 2 in a specaility restaurant.

I consider that peace of mind....

I have booked both my cruises directly. I went to a TA (you know, the car assistance one), and he gave me lots of great information, but when I wanted to book a cruise that I decided I couldn't afford after all, he was not able to give me any additional discounts or credits or anything. Would love to know who you all use. I want to book a trans-Atlantic cruise,and would love something giving me reduced deposits or shipboard credit or something.

When we booked a NCL cruise from Boston to Bermuda and then had to cancel because we couldn't go that week, had to go the week earlier but it was the first cruise of the year for NCL from Boston, I'm pretty sure having a TA made it possible to switch to a week earlier NYC-Bermuda on Celebrity, which would not have been possible had we booked with the cruise line.

The only thing I would verify when using a TA is if they charge you a "change fee" if you upgrade. I like to book the lowest category cabin I would be happy with (oceanview) and then if the prices drop or if I have more money closer to my sail date I upgrade to something nicer. I was surprised once to discover that my TA charged a $50 change fee when I was doing a no-cost upgrade (higher category had dropped below what I originally paid). I confirmed it was the TA's fee, not the cruise line. Had I booked direct I would not have paid that fee.

That being said, I know people who have fantastic TAs that really look out for them and get them good deals.

I have booked all of our cruises directly with the cruise line by phone, not online. Websites can be funky, and I like to have an email invoice before I hang up the phone.

Also if there are any price reductions, or changes I want made, all I have to do is call the cruise line CS and get it taken care of right then. If it's a price change I get a new invoice before I hang up. It's that quick and no middle persons involved.

The only thing I would verify when using a TA is if they charge you a "change fee" if you upgrade. I like to book the lowest category cabin I would be happy with (oceanview) and then if the prices drop or if I have more money closer to my sail date I upgrade to something nicer. I was surprised once to discover that my TA charged a $50 change fee when I was doing a no-cost upgrade (higher category had dropped below what I originally paid). I confirmed it was the TA's fee, not the cruise line. Had I booked direct I would not have paid that fee.

That being said, I know people who have fantastic TAs that really look out for them and get them good deals.

And if you ask upfront whether there are any change or cancellation fees, you can book elsewhere and not pay that fee.

My NCL P.C.C. Know's we will cruise very last minute .

A few times we have got the call for fantastic deals a day or three before sailing .

I have booked as late as 11 pm for the next mornings sailing . So I don't think a T.A. would be much help to me Nor could they charge much less .

Edited by biker@sea