first celebrity cruise, worried about food in blu

Fireflymkz76

AQ and BLU is the best thing Celeb ever created...has kept us cruising happily since its inception! Your bf has booked a great accomodation.

In AQ you will have a great shower, foot rests in the balcony, herbal teas, daily free water, etc, Make sure you request the better towels that have lately been disappearing,amd the upgraded canapes. You can check out the website for other perks including priority boarding and access to the Persian Garden...steam rooma, heated loungers, sauna etc,

In BLU you will have a great breakfast menu...made to order mueseli, smoothies, etc, Only gap is there are no waffles like they have at the buffet, Dinner menu is also better than the descriptions, No heavy salted food, great salads and excellent fish, meat and other choices...Great service in a smaller venue. You can dine when you want and be friendly to nearby diners ( tables are close ) if you want without being assigned to same peopke every night,

on nights you do not like the menu, they may accomodate a special request or you csn enjoy a Specialty venue,,,, also try Bistro on 5 for a nice lunch!

Have a lovely vacation!

Hey!

i'm also quite 'difficult' eater mostly due to some food allergies.

We cruised 'X' 2 times and both time in Aqua. It comes so far that Aqua is the only option for us...

You have all the nice benefits you have already read in the previous posts but purely foodwise in Blu it is very very good.

Because they have their own kitchen you can request the menus with no sauce or another sauce or mix some things or leave things away, etc etc etc

Don't be scared, I don't eat seafood myself. I was already dining around 22 times in Blu and I only picked one time the steak because I had difficulties to find something. And as already many times commented you can always fall back to the traditionals (steak, chicken breast and salmon).

I have never been on Carnival but saw many of their ships in harbour. I think personally that X is better for a romantic getaway... .

The only problem that might occur... you don't want to go back to cruising without blu...

Blu is so much nicer than the louder and hectic ambiance of an MDR...

AQ and BLU is the best thing Celeb ever created...has kept us cruising happily since its inception! Your bf has booked a great accomodation.

In AQ you will have a great shower, foot rests in the balcony, herbal teas, daily free water, etc, Make sure you request the better towels that have lately been disappearing,amd the upgraded canapes. You can check out the website for other perks including priority boarding and access to the Persian Garden...steam rooma, heated loungers, sauna etc,

In BLU you will have a great breakfast menu...made to order mueseli, smoothies, etc, Only gap is there are no waffles like they have at the buffet, Dinner menu is also better than the descriptions, No heavy salted food, great salads and excellent fish, meat and other choices...Great service in a smaller venue. You can dine when you want and be friendly to nearby diners ( tables are close ) if you want without being assigned to same peopke every night,

on nights you do not like the menu, they may accomodate a special request or you csn enjoy a Specialty venue,,,, also try Bistro on 5 for a nice lunch!

Have a lovely vacation!

Just to clarify, a couple of the things you mentioned are on S class ships only - specifically the foot stools and heated loungers. In case someone new is reading this....

I did not care for the lobster in Blu on formal night when it was served. I found that it tasted rubbery- like a cheap Las Vegas dinner buffet special (had at the Flamingo- cheap and no taste. I found the lobster tasted wonderful at Murano, and worth every penny! But the other three times that we ate dinner in Blu, the fillet, short ribs, and their classic chicken were quite tasty. My dh at Blu Salmon and found it quite good.

Vulcan 1971 has given a very accurate description of what is available to eat. Believe me, the food in Blu is anything but fancy shmancy, so you really shouldn't have a problem. Starvation on Celebrity will never be a concern; there are too many options to suit every taste. The reason we like Aqua is the dining venue which is far more attractive than the cow barn known as the MDR. As we all know, tastes differ, so give it a try and see for yourself.

DW and I are taking a week's cruise next month and for this short time, I am really tempted to eat in specialty restaurants every night. We've talked about it for years but have never done it.

Edited by BosoxI

I didn't know what to expect from Blu when we dined there on Equinox so can understand your concern. But I loved it. One of the most (pleasantly)surprising things for me were how all the entrees came out at the correct temperature (hot when they should be). My experience in MDR has been that you don't get that - for obvious reasons because the food is usually making a long journey from the galley to your table. In Blu, I was never disappointed with this. Also, the daily pasta entrees were very good - which surprised me. We usually ordered that every night as a side dish. Had some excellent beef dishes and the vegetables (especially grilled vegetable salad) were great and tasty.

We were able to order from the MDR menu each night if we wanted with no issues. We only did this one night and got some escargot as an appetizer. We saw another couple order their whole meal from the MDR menu - so it should be an option for you as well. We checked out the MDR menu most days just to see whether there was any "can't miss" items and didn't see anything that sounded better than what was offered in Blu. I think you will be fine!!

Just to clarify, a couple of the things you mentioned are on S class ships only - specifically the foot stools and heated loungers. In case someone new is reading this....

Yes, thanks for the clarification....we will be on Connie later this month( first time on a Solsticized M class ship) We will miss the loungers...they do have heated bench seats in the Persian Gardens but it is not a bright waterview space as on S class

we also hear Blu may not have a sep kitchen on M class but a dedicated area and staff!

Anyhow, for us AQ and BLU are wonderful at a reasonable price compared to suites!

Edited by hcat

Ok so my boyfriend booked this romantic cruise on the celebrity silhouette. I have always cruised carnival so I am sure this is going to be totally different experience. However, he says he booked us in BLU dining since we are on in the aqua class stateroom (whatever that is) and I was looking at the menus and I am worried. Part of my favorite cruise experience is the food and while carnival's food wasn't stellar it was edible. I have perused the menus for Blu and it doesn't sound like anything I would eat! I am not into the fancy schmancy foods and don't like exotic meats or cheeses. Am I going to be able to find something I like to eat??

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival... in less than 40 days we will be on our 2nd Celebrity cruise in AQ (Blu dining room). We love Celebrity so much that instead of driving 15 minutes to the port to catch a cruise, we are flying to FLL to go on the cruise. We most likely will take a Carnival cruise in the near future because of it being so close to home. We cruised so much on Carnival because of kids which are now grown and we now find Celebrity to me more to our tastes. As far as pricing, with the AI 123Go the cost of the cabin is similar to a cabin on Carnival after you pay for a drink package and add grats.

The food in Blu is good, fresh and as others have said you will find lots to eat. Have a wonderful vacation!

Oh, and enjoy the "iced towels" when coming back from an excursion...

Welcome to Celebrity - as a past Carnival cruiser myself - you are going to be blown away. We find that Celebrity is very romantic compared to the fun, party atmosphere on Carnival.

We have never cruised in Aqua and only have limited experience in Blu when staying in a suite. The Blu menus don't appeal to me either but from what I saw and what I've read - they will be happy to work with you. They might also accommodate you in the MDR - space available but I'd give Blu a go first as that is what you are paying for in Aqua. There are also some very good specialty dining choices for an additional fee.

Come back and let us know how it went.

You will love Blu. You can choose not to eat any of the more exotic items, but truthfully they aren't that exotic. They have everyday items like steak and chicken that are good. By the way, the person who said you can just eat in the MDR is incorrect (from my experience anyway) If you are scheduled for Blu, they will not seat you in the MDR for dinner. You can probably work something out with the maitre'd, but the one time I tried they wouldn't. It might also be different on different ships. I have only been on one X ship so far (twice).

Thank you all for the responses! I am still apprehensive but I am sure I will find something I like. I am sure he thinks I am making too big a deal of it which I probably am. He really is a wonderful boyfriend and I know he wants the whole experience to be special. Can you ask to see a mdr menu if you dont like any of the blu options? Or is that a no no?

Thank you all for the responses! I am still apprehensive but I am sure I will find something I like. I am sure he thinks I am making too big a deal of it which I probably am. He really is a wonderful boyfriend and I know he wants the whole experience to be special. Can you ask to see a mdr menu if you dont like any of the blu options? Or is that a no no?

You can't get MDR food in Blu, but you can see the Blu menu ahead of time and make arrangements to eat in the MDR if it's not to your liking

You can't get MDR food in Blu, but you can see the Blu menu ahead of time and make arrangements to eat in the MDR if it's not to your liking

CathyCruises -

Your statement is not really accurate. There are many people on these boards, including myself, that have dined in Blu and have successfully ordered items from the "every day menu" that is offered in the MDR.

So yes, you can order items from the MDR "every day" menu in Blu. I have never needed to ask to look at the menu as I know what is available and specify to my server the items I want.

Can someone please post the Blu menus or tell me where I can read them.

Try this link. The menus are 2 pages and there is another menu (not shown here) for desserts.

As you can see there is also something simpler offered everyday. If you try something and don't like it don't be affraid to send in back. I tried the soft shelled crab recommended by another diner. Not my thing, so I got something else.

http://www.beyondships2.com/celebrity-silhouette-blu-menus.html

You may find this article interesting tool.

http://www.beyondships2.com/celebrity-silhouette-blu-review.html

Edited by Chitown12562

You can get MDR food in Blu and I did (escargot one night). This was on Equinox sailing in December. I also saw another couple sitting next to us in Blu order their entire meal from MDR menu. So it is possible to do.

If Blu is not to your liking, then there is really little reason to book an Aqua class room.

We enjoy god food and we have cruised in Aqua the last 2 times, very enjoyable, service is ataentive and i am sure if you special order somtheing a night before they will be happy to give it to you.

Plus they will get food from MDR

What is is that you enjoy having? Is it meat, or fish or veg? That might help in guidance on your apprehension.

Did you look at menus for specialty dining, is that more your preference?

Have you looked at the MDR menus? You can switch to that venue right now for the entire cruise if you prefer what you have seen on those menus. Once on board its very very difficult to do.

So what is is that you like to have that would make you feel more comfortable about your choice? Do you feel its too fancy?

Edited by MizDemeanor

I don't know if I'd call him meat & potatoes guy BUT he is rather set in his ways...

We tried the chi-chi restaurant on Allure that is a tasting menu (you only choose your entree--luckily steak is a choice) & surprisingly DH enjoyed it so much we booked it again for our 7 day cruise. I think it was the super personal service & experience he enjoyed. When we dined as a couple in MDR on Princess it felt rushed & impersonal.

WE LOVED LOVED LOVED Blu. DH loved it for the same reasons--great service & experience. Food was interesting but not odd. He never had problems finding something he liked.

And yes, I had escargots whenever I wanted:p

Just off silhouette an hr ago

What you can get from MDR menu you are the classic items only the maitre d told me

Yes escargot shrimp cocktail

French onion soup

If you don't like the menu in Blu on a particular night they will accommodate you MDR

We did it one night

There was only 30% off specialties the first night

My opinion is

I thought if I didn't like the menu items since they were a little off my personal menu like pheasant & squab I could just eat the beef but even the filet was tough as was the strip steak

Yes, they know it is

The roasted chicken breast & the orzo with peas & chicken and rigatoni are delicious

Husband enjoyed fish, lamb - everything

I'm picky

But Blu is lovely

Small good service

Lovely hostess

Your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We loved BLU on our 2013 Med cruise..and hopefully this week booking a Aug 2015 cruise..and going AQUA again, mainly for BLU. Loved the food in BLU, I had Caesar salad every night and shrimp cocktail! Loved being able to get a table for 2--as were not a super social couple,lol

Make sure you request the better towels that have lately been disappearing,amd the upgraded canapes.

There are better towels? I wouldn't know how to tell if the towels in the cabin are the regular ones or the better ones. I guess I'll be fine with any towel. :)

I am curious about the upgraded canapés, though. How are the upgraded ones different?

Love reading this thread! We're not first time cruisers, but are trying Celebrity for the first time AND got a great deal in aqua class. Aqua class looks like it's right up my alley, so I can't wait!

• 1 month later...

When we sail with Celebrity we always book Aqua class just so we can eat in Blu. I don't recall any 'funny food', there is always something on the menu we like and it is so calm and civilised compared to the MDR. The breakfasts are also relaxed with plenty of choice; OV has much more choice but it is a bit chaotic. Just my opinion, we all like different things.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The menu items are really not as "frou-frou" as they might seem when you first look at them, and they will happily work with you for special requests. Our cruise was 12 nights, and we ate in BLU for 10 of them -- we enjoyed almost everything we had, and even though we're not always the most adventurous eaters, we found things that appealed to us on the menu. I chose the "Always Available" steak one night and people in our party had the other items at various times. Everything was very good.

To me, one of the huge benefits of BLU is that the food isn't pre-plated, so everything comes out hot (or cold) and is served at the proper temperature. I thought the quality of the food and service blew the Main Dining Rooms on RCI, Princess, Carnival, and HAL out of the water. Breakfast in BLU is also excellent. We're not buffet people at all, and my husband and I just loved having a dedicated, no-wait restaurant for breakfast and dinner. We also ate in the specialty venues on our cruise, and thought they were very good.

DW and I are taking a week's cruise next month and for this short time, I am really tempted to eat in specialty restaurants every night. We've talked about it for years but have never done it.

Our last two cruises were the Constellation where we ate in BLU, and the Oasis where we only ate in the MDR one night because we had reserved a different specialty restaurant for each night of the cruise. We LOVED both BLU and the specialty dining extravaganza. I'm a little apprehensive about getting on the Serenade next month and having to use the MDR. My, how my tastes have changed!:rolleyes:

Edited by Cindy