New to Princess...dining dress codes

angelmomma530

I have cruised DCL several times. Cruising Princess to AK in August. Dress code for dining is pretty relaxed on DCL. What is the dress code (anytime dining) on Princess? My parents are also coming and my Dad is a farmer -jeans and Tee kind of guy. Hubs is also. Thanks.

Princess is more formal, there will be about two formal nights a week where dress recommendation is dark suit and tie for gents.

Now about 80-90% [in my experience] will dress to that standard others won't. It is unlikely [again in my experience] that you'll get refused entry but it does sometimes happen.

Of course you also have the option of the buffet or Room service on formal nights.

Other nights are what you might call good casual or resort casual.

I have cruised DCL several times. Cruising Princess to AK in August. Dress code for dining is pretty relaxed on DCL. What is the dress code (anytime dining) on Princess? My parents are also coming and my Dad is a farmer -jeans and Tee kind of guy. Hubs is also. Thanks.

check out the FAQ http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

From Princess' FAQ's

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Suit pants with dinner jackets for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

All the Princess ships I have sailed recently accepted men in slacks and long sleeve dress shirts on formal nights in the MDR. They did not require ties or jackets.

Not sure where the "smart casual" description for men came from in the FAQ quoted above but the Princess website lists smart casual as:

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

My husband is bringing dress pants and nice Hawaiian shirts for non-formal nights in the MDR. As formal nights are not our thing we will be dining where the formal dress is not required, i.e the buffet or the specialty restaurants.

Edited by Bookworm1971

Not sure where the "smart casual" description for men came from in the FAQ quoted above but the Princess website lists smart casual as:

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

My husband is bringing dress pants and nice Hawaiian shirts for non-formal nights in the MDR. As formal nights are not our thing we will be dining where the formal dress is not required, i.e the buffet or the specialty restaurants.

The "smart casual" came from Priness' FAQ's section, I too lifted an eyebrow at the dinner jacket and agree that trousers and open neck shirt is fine on "non-formal" nights.

The "smart casual" came from Priness' FAQ's section, I too lifted an eyebrow at the dinner jacket and agree that trousers and open neck shirt is fine on "non-formal" nights.

With conflicting FAQs on their own website it's a wonder anyone dresses appropriately. :)

My husband will bring his suit and wear it on Formal Night. On other nights he wears long pants, chino or such, a short sleeved open neck white shirt...and he seems to blend in well on casual/elegant nights. The last cruise we took was on the Carnival Liberty to the Southern Caribbean and he did not even pack a suit. He just wore the long pants and shirt, and he liked it a lot. It was a struggle to get him to come on Princess, even though he enjoys the ship very much ( who would not?)...he hates wearing that suit.

I wonder if Princess will go the way of One Dining room........formal. One dining room...casual/elegant every night? NCL does that sort of...and I like that.

That said........It irks me when someone in a tank top, with tats showing on arms, neck and legs comes in and sits down at dinner.

I respect Princess for keeping dinner something special.

You may end up sorry you asked. ;):)

All the Princess ships I have sailed recently accepted men in slacks and long sleeve dress shirts on formal nights in the MDR. They did not require ties or jackets.

Not on the cruises I have been on recently.

Men have been turned away with no jackets.

Thanks. We will prob be skipping *formal* nights as well and eat at buffet. For other restaurants, will khakis and polo work?

While Princess is more formal than Disney no one will be turned away from eating in the DR not wearing a jacket or tie. You'll be in the minority but will still be able to enjoy a better meal on formal nights dressed comfortably. ;)

Not on the cruises I have been on recently.

Men have been turned away with no jackets.

I never wear a jacket and have many many cruises with Princess and I have never been turned away or made to seem like I am a second class citizen.

I find it hard to believe that all of these posters on CC sit at the MDR entrance on formal nights and monitor how the MD's handle these situations....I just do not buy it....we get to our seats and could care less what is happening with others.....:rolleyes:

Perhaps you need to clear your cache? Could be an old page. The current FAQ reads exactly as it appears in Bookworm's post.

OP: khakis and polos will be fine everywhere on the ship at all times in all venues except for the Main Dining Rooms on Formal Nights. And since you'll be in Alaska, long sleeve shirts would be a good idea irrespective of what the dress code for the evening is. And in all likelihood, a nice long sleeved shirt will be all that is needed to gain admittance into the MDR on Formal Nights. Men dressed like that are in the minority, but are rarely excluded.

Thanks. We will prob be skipping *formal* nights as well and eat at buffet. For other restaurants, will khakis and polo work?

Khakis and a polo is perfect. You will be fine. Have a great trip and hope you love Princess as much as we do. :)

On last trip to Alaska with Princess there was no dress code in the MDR. The basic attitude appeared to be wear what you want. majority of Americans wore jeans and t shirts and for formal night went to chinos and a polo shirt.

Maître D was questioned about this when a lot of overseas travellers had made the effort to bring the required clothing and he stated that if he tried to enforce a dress code then he would lose half his dining room.

Basically suit yourself and damn what anyone else thinks.

Edited by moonglum

On last trip to Alaska with Princess ...majority of Americans wore jeans and t shirts and for formal night went to chinos and a polo shirt.

Basically suit yourself and damn what anyone else thinks.

Sorry. I'm simply not buying that. You may think that we Yanks are slobs, but the majority of us do not wear t-shirts to dining rooms in Alaskan weather.

Edited by JimmyVWine