bus excursion etiquette

Joe Dandy

I have been on many excursions but this one was the worst on QE. There was a couple who arrived late for the excursion so they sat in the back of the bus. However they wanted to get off before the 6 to 7 rows ahead of them so when the bus stopped thet would bolt out of their seats and go as far as possible until people would stand in the aisle. My wife told to ignore them but it was hard as they stood right next to me in the aisle. Was this couple out of line?

I have been on many excursions but this one was the worst on QE. There was a couple who arrived late for the excursion so they sat in the back of the bus. However they wanted to get off before the 6 to 7 rows ahead of them so when the bus stopped thet would bolt out of their seats and go as far as possible until people would stand in the aisle. My wife told to ignore them but it was hard as they stood right next to me in the aisle. Was this couple out of line?

Just another of many reasons we avoid bus excursions like the plague.:eek::D

From my experience, the ones who dash to be first off, are also the ones who can't manage to get down the steps and hold everyone else up.

And usually rush to be first on and sit at the front, then as you say try to be first off and hold every one up.:rolleyes:

How did it effect anyone?

How did it effect anyone?

Been in plenty of similar situations myself and found it very annoying, just very poor manners. Quite often you will be sat there with someone's bag or camera swinging over their shoulder in your face or worse still, their backside only inches away.

Why not wait and let the coach empty from the front.

Been in plenty of similar situations myself and found it very annoying, just very poor manners. Quite often you will be sat there with someone's bag or camera swinging over their shoulder in your face or worse still, their backside only inches away.

That's what my daughter and I do on planes and a tour bus.

One time, on a plane, the flight attendant jokingly told us if we didn't leave, we had to start cleaning the plane!

We both love our cruising and accept that we don't live in a "perfect" World and that things go wrong on occasions and very rarely complain, BUT, I have to be honest and say that some of the rudest and most inconsiderate people that we ever meet are on our cruises. Thankfully, few and far between, but their is so often a selfish, bordering on an aggressive stance, taken by some, but despite their best endeavors they will not put us off our favourite pastime of cruising.

Do you think they come from somewhere in the world where this is common place?? I always see differences in people based on where they come from in the world. Some areas of the world don't queue up to do things. I encountered a rather funny elder from China at the queue for food at the cafeteria (King's Court) one time. She actually pushed me out of her way. Being quite the linguist I did apologize in Mandarin which did not go over well. I may have said something about chicken feet, not that great at anything but French.

I don't why people feel the need to be the first off the tour bus. Perhaps they need to go to the bathroom? Anyway, it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the bus - I usually sit in the back seats and enjoy the comic comments of my fellow passengers (we tend to mumble, speak quietly and laugh too much).

But what does worry me is when passengers on the upper deck of tenders descend the stairs before the tender has been secured. Contrary to the Skippers instructions to remain seated until the tender has been secured, passengers descend the stairs and fill the slim isle on main "deck". A stupid selfish action that endangers everyone on the tender.

My recommendation is that there be a deckhand on the upper deck of the tenders to regulate passengers behavior, and keep passengers seated and off the stairwell until the tender is properly docked. Avoid an accident waiting to happen. -S.

Never quite understood why, when the 'plane comes to a stop at the skybridge and the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off, 90% of the people on the 'plane have to immediately stand and open the overhead lockers, start pulling bags and coats down onto fellow passengers, bump into each other, put their elbows in other people's eyes, fighting to claim their rightful place in the scrum (I've seen people almost come to blows) and then... stand around... sometimes for many minutes... waiting...

They are rushing to get off the 'plane first, ahead of everyone else... So they can spend longer next to the carousel waiting for their luggage to arrive...

They stand on the 'plane, they stand in the terminal.

I remain seated (other than let people out of course), calmly retrieve my belongings, thank the cabin crew, stroll unhurried down the endless terminal corridors, and usually arrive a minute or two before the cases from my flight make their first appearance.

Best wishes :)

Whilst people racing past others to get off the coach first is irritating my main gripe is with those on a coach who are always late back when everyone else is sitting on the coach waiting to go. Why do those getting back late selfishly assume their time is more important than everyone else's?

I worked this one out some time ago.

How do most animals react when they are taken out of their normal environment among strangers. They often become aggressive and attempt to dominate. That's why coach passengers rush to get off first and why you so often get the guy on your table who dominates the conversations to the exclusion of all the others, or why you get jostled at the buffet and why the same couple always seem to be sitting in the front seats on every tour you take.

David.

Never quite understood why, when the 'plane comes to a stop at the skybridge and the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off, 90% of the people on the 'plane have to immediately stand and open the overhead lockers, start pulling bags and coats down onto fellow passengers, bump into each other, put their elbows in other people's eyes, fighting to claim their rightful place in the scrum (I've seen people almost come to blows) and then... stand around... sometimes for many minutes... waiting...

They are rushing to get off the 'plane first, ahead of everyone else... So they can spend longer next to the carousel waiting for their luggage to arrive...

They stand on the 'plane, they stand in the terminal.

I remain seated (other than let people out of course), calmly retrieve my belongings, thank the cabin crew, stroll unhurried down the endless terminal corridors, and usually arrive a minute or two before the cases from my flight make their first appearance.

Best wishes :)

I always enjoy watching the crowds form and desperately try to exit the plane, only to be held back by the cabin crew while I swiftly exit from the opposite end of the plane.

That said, plenty of First and Business passengers try to be the first off as well. It's rather peculiar. At least nobody can knock you in the head since there's no overhead bins in First.

I've never had the same issue on cruise tour buses, but I do feel that some less mobile passengers should do a better job of reading the tour description. It's amazing how many book tours with lots of walking or stairs and then complain about it.

It would also help if slow walkers could also stick to one side of corridors on the ship. I'm sometimes reminded of the Mr Bean episode where he gets stuck behind the oldie on the stairs. He climbs over the bannister to get in front only to get stuck behind another slow poke. Hilarious, but only because it's a true experience!

I can understand some people dashing to get off a bus quickly. We were on an excursion in Iceland and the people in the first few seats were quite elderly and had limited mobility and they just couldn't manage to get on or off the bus without a great deal of help. That also meant that where stops were short, they were always late in returning. We trotted around the botanic gardens in the 1/2 hour allowed and these poor souls struggled back some 15 mins later.

More recently, we have chosen to sit at the back and wait until the bus has cleared, it's far less bother when the stops are long.

On one coach trip we got on at the port to find that an Irish family of Mum, Dad and two kids had "occupied" all the back nine seats. Mum and Dad sat near the centre of the back and the kids sat in the aisle seats of the next row & they all just glared at anyone who came near them. The P&O rep had to ask one of the kids twice if she could have a seat. On the long trip back to the ship the Irish children (I would guess early teens) were giggling on at the rep who had fallen asleep & they took photos of her as she slept. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

On our last holiday in December, when we landed, we were the last people to go through passport control. and when we arrived at the baggage reclaim it made no difference since everyone was still waiting for their bags to appear.

It does crack me when a plane lands and then it takes them forever to open the doors. Why does it take so long ? It's not like the place has to cool down. Once I was on a flight and had to wait around 30 minutes; the excuse was that they were trying to locate the step things. What ? Did the airport not know we were coming ?

Well, its a minor annoyance. Calm down. Its only worth getting angry if this is the normal behavior of a certain person and you have to witness it twice.

That said, my experience is that some people want to get of the bus quick, while others are deliberately slow. A first row first policy wont work imho.

Well in my day, when you raised your hat to a lady in the street and said good morning/afternoon/night. You gave your seat up on the trams and bus, always walked on the kerb side of the pavement. When in a coach if one is sitting in the aisle seat, when alighting you step back in the isle and always let the person sitting by the window go first.

Edited by Pennbank

Many have said they sit in the back of the bus and watch as the tumult of exiting begins. I hate riding in the back of the bus. It bounces too much!! I do sit in the middle if I can and usually let the ruckus end before I get up and get off the bus. I have been asked by travelling companions "Why aren't you getting off the bus" when I wait till all that mess of people get up and try to be first. And I always help the handicapped people if they need it to get on or off the bus. I think they always sit in the first seats because they are designated for mobility impaired people. I hope no one on here is commenting in a negative way about those that take longer to walk or to do stairs. I do find some humor in the condition we get out bodies into as we age. It helps to keep us young to have a laugh about our old age aches and pains and coordination problems.

Getting late to the bus is more annoying. Usually I'm one of the first back to the bus. I'm sorry to all in Peggy's Cove Sept. 2004 on Maasdam. I'm the one who caused the long delay.

Know the feeling. On a bus trip we moaned about people being slow to return to the bus, 'how inconsiderate, etc etc'. At the very last stop we completely lost track of time and it was with very red faces and huge apologies we boarded the bus to complete silence :o