Apple products

Cockatoos

And for those of us from Canada, the UK, Australia and perhaps other non-US countries, in addition to saving the sales tax (we pay 13% here), you could really save when buying an iPad, etc. on board if you pre-purchase on board credit.

Celebrity is currently selling $25 USD for $27.20 CAD - that's an exchange rate of less than $1.09. Apparently the exchange rate for GBP and Australian dollars is also very favourable. You can check the prices here.

And for those of us from Canada, the UK, Australia and perhaps other non-US countries, in addition to saving the sales tax (we pay 13% here), you could really save when buying an iPad, etc. on board if you pre-purchase on board credit.

Celebrity is currently selling $25 USD for $27.20 CAD - that's an exchange rate of less than $1.09. Apparently the exchange rate for GBP and Australian dollars is also very favourable. You can check the prices here.

Thanks for the tip, just bought a bunch for my Bermuda cruise, plan on adopting another ipod.

How can you tell that its a $25 US credit? When I go in to purchase it just shows the value in CDN. Just curious.

Definitely sounds worthwhile since the exchange rate is so high right now.

You are buying units of $25 US credit. The max you can buy in one transaction is 9 units. That doesn't vary, the only thing that will eventually vary will be the cost, which is £14.90 at the moment and certainly has been so far this year.

I also pre purchased in March '13, when it cost me £15.33 per unit, which was considered very favourable at the time.

You can purchase multiple orders of 9 units in one online transaction (I hope that makes sense!) but it's tedious and time consuming, and may or may not actually be processed.

It's easier to just give Celebrity a call and tell them how much USD you wish to purchase. When I did that, they confirmed the amount of USD that would be added to my on board account, and the amount that was costing me in CAD - about $1.088 per USD. I'm not aware of any limit.

You are buying units of $25 US credit. The max you can buy in one transaction is 9 units. That doesn't vary, the only thing that will eventually vary will be the cost, which is £14.90 at the moment and certainly has been so far this year.

I also pre purchased in March '13, when it cost me £15.33 per unit, which was considered very favourable at the time.

I would not even hold out the slightest of hopes that a newly issued device will find its way to the ships same day as the rest of the country.

Also, I've determined that often the items for sale tend to be the "starting" point of items, lowest RAM, smallest storage, etc.

I have a friend that works for Apple and have texted him photos of the prices and included options, and he's let me know I can get for same price on land, and let me know of the low-endedness of the specifications of the machines sold.

Also, some have stated you save taxes and duty free, but do be aware that the ship provides a list to Customs agents for anyone who spends more than some amount, I think $400, on board, so if you go thru Customs without declaring the items, they will take you aside and ensure the duty is levied, so duty savings are not really of any concern end of the day if disembarking in a US port.

And as others have said, selection and inventory is spotty and hit or miss at best.

This is true. I purchased a laptop for my son. He text me the specs and price and decided to make the purchase. I used a completely different credit card than the one I had linked to my on board account. It was the actual credit card they swiped. It never showed up on my folio so there was no record of the purchase linked to me. I was instructed to remove the product from the box as if I brought it with me at embarkation. Nothing was reported by Celebrity. By the way they were out of stock on the model I wanted but they were receiving a shipment at the next port of call.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I understand why someone from outside the US where prices are higher would buy on board. But I can not understand why anyone from the US would buy on board. Prices are the same. Selection stinks. Is there an advantage that I am missing?

DON

I understand why someone from outside the US where prices are higher would buy on board. But I can not understand why anyone from the US would buy on board. Prices are the same. Selection stinks. Is there an advantage that I am missing?

DON

Tax free ?

DON

Tax free ?

Yes, there would be no sales tax. Personally I don't think that is enough of a reason to buy on board but some people do.

If a USA citizen buys one on board they should be careful to declare it on their customs form as US Customs gets a list from the ship of all large on board purchases.

DON

People in the US need to use the internet if interested in a new IPAD- yesteday I saw a 64GB new IPAD for $299 in techbargains. New models coming and the old are being sold off. Charlie

DON

15.5% sales tax here, plus instead of buying US $$$ for $1.25 CAN I bought a bunch for only $ 1.10 for a savings of 25.5% PLUS I have $ 350.00 Cabin Credit so basically, I'll be getting a brand new iPad for about $ 275.00 CAN :D

DON

I live on the over taxed Long Island in New York state. Sales tax is almost 9% I saved $132 on a $1500 computer. Every little bit helps and I'm happy anytime I can stick it to the tax man. We were going to buy the computer either way and it was better than bringing home a tee shirt for my son. I was actually surprised to see how many made purchases. The man before me purchased the last laptop and I had to wait for them to restock in port. The Summit was repositioning to Cape Liberty so maybe there were a lot of New Yorkers on board with the same agenda as me.

Is it just iPods and iPads (in their various incarnations), or do they sell laptops (MacBooks? Not sure what they are called, but a laptop computer, not a tablet) on board, too? If so, and someone saw prices on those, could you please post? Thanks

They do sell laptops that's what I purchased. The prices are the same as in the Apple stores in the U.S. You would only be saving the tax and possibly saving extra if you have OBC from a TA or the Cruise line that you can apply to the purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked a friend who is on the Infinity at the moment (just left Valparaiso), to check out current prices for me. Looks like a good one day special on Mac Book Air pricing.

"Here are the prices for iPads and MacBook Air ..there was also a special for the day of $100 off of MacBook Air. IPad Air 2 16 GW $499, 64 GB $599, 128 GB $699. MacBook Air: 13 inch - 128 GB $899, 13 inch 256 GB $1099. Mac Book Pro - 13 inch 2.6 GHZ $1,199, 15 inch GHZ $1,999. Hope this helps. all with no tax."

I asked a friend who is on the Infinity at the moment (just left Valparaiso), to check out current prices for me. Looks like a good one day special on Mac Book Air pricing.

As a point of comparison, here's current Apple.com pricing versus ship pricing.

• IPad Air 2 16 GW $499, THESE ARE ALL SAME PRICE AS CURRENTLY ON APPLE.COM
  • 64 GB $599,
  • 128 GB $699.

• MacBook Air: 13 inch - 128 GB $899, $999 on Apple.com (would be same price but for 1 day $100 off sale on ship)
  • 13 inch 256 GB $1099. $1199 on Apple.com

• Mac Book Pro - 13 inch 2.6 GHZ $1,199, Apple.com does not sell a 2.6 GHZ model, however 2.5 GHZ is $1099
  • 15 inch GHZ $1,999. Again, no 2.6 but 2.5 with Retina is $2499 or 2.2 GHZ is #$1999

So question for me is, are the MacBook Pro's sold on ship older models that Apple no longer carries?

I mainly posted the list as people were wondering what products were available on board. The ship may carry previous models just like Apple is still selling iPad Air as well as iPad Air2. Apple did sell the 2.6 GHZ and is now selling them refurbished at $1189 I imagine the ones on the ship are new though. http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FGX72LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

The pricing in USD is $979

I agree that everyone should do their research before hand but because I have some extra OBC I just wanted an idea of what might be available.