From the states to Europe. Which airline?

hospsafe

it makes it easier to have them all under the same number if problems arise, ie miss connection or try to bump us. we will probably risk it by doing 2 separate IATA number because the money we save, even spending the $800, would allow us to get a nice cabin for the cruise. When it comes to flying I am extremely anal because i do it about 30-35 weeks a year on Southwest.
Sorry but you are more than AR.

If you miss a connection, it may actually better for you to be on separate reservations as it will be easier to reroute two groups of two than one group of four.

The fear of "bumping" is vastly overrated. According to the US DOT, in 2014, the rate of IDB (Involuntary Denied Boarding) for Delta was 0.35 per 10,000 passengers. Or 3.5 per 100,000 passengers. Extrapolate this to a 250 seat aircraft and you get 3.5 passengers per 400 flights or less than one person per 100 flights. And you are getting worried about that?? Then again, you might have more experience with this, considering that Southwest has an IDB rate of about three times that of DL.

There are four of us going. According to Delta in order for all us to be on the same IATA number the reservations have to be under one sky miles account.

Yes, but you don't need to be on the same reservation.

it makes it easier to have them all under the same number if problems arise, ie miss connection or try to bump us. we will probably risk it by doing 2 separate IATA number because the money we save, even spending the $800, would allow us to get a nice cabin for the cruise. When it comes to flying I am extremely anal because i do it about 30-35 weeks a year on Southwest.

Actually, it would probably be to your benefit to be on separate reservations. If problems arise, they are apt to be on the day of departure. At that point, it is going to be extremely difficult to find an alternate itinerary that has FOUR available seats on every segment of travel. So your best bet in that scenario is going to be to split up anyway. Ex: Four of you are flying Atlanta to Rome, but your flight is canceled for some reason. Everyone on that flight has to be rerouted, and many are apt to have higher priority than you, and if you have to wait for all 4 of you to be rerouted together who knows how long that could take. A day? 2 days? But if you separate, maybe there's a flight to AMS connecting to FCO with 2 seats available, and another flight to JFK connecting at CDG and on to FCO with 2 seats available, and they all leave within an hour or so of your original flight and allow you to get there around the same time as originally planned.

I have the sneaking feeling that when this poster says "IATA" number, he (I'll assume it's a "he") really means PNR. Unless he is a licensed IATA member and needs to have the reservations for a discount under his IATA number. I doubt the IATA thing, but since I know there is an IATA discount deal at my hotel, I thought I'd throw it out.

Like some others have said, unless you have minor children flying with you, there isn't a huge reason why you need to book all four people under the same PNR. My husband and I never did this. It's easier to find one or two award seats on an itinerary than 4. We'd just meet up when we arrived at our destination. When IRROPS happen, it made it easier to get on alternative flights - we take whatever we can separately.

I'll pay you $800 to take those 500,000 miles off your hands - cheaper than paying for a few flights to Europe myself ;)

Thanks for all the helpful information and suggestions. We arent going until next July so I have some time to figure out things. At the end of the day, I am sure we will use our miles the most efficient way. Thinking 3 and 1 reservations would probably work. But I will say this we have two minor children with us so we will need to stay together. Whenever i have an issue while flying Southwest they will work with me to resolve it. I cant say that about Delta. ie. I dont trust Delta!!! Southwest has been very good to me over the years. I have flown enough with them in a year that it enabled my wife to fly free whenever, wherever she wanted to as long as she was with me the following year, multiple times. I want a smile from the flight attendant when I board which I don't see on the Legacy airlines anymore especially American. The terminal issue in London is a good point. Non-stop to Vegas, is it a must? Yes. To Europe, not realistic, I know that. Like said before, using Miles regardless because some of that savings will be applied to getting a better cabin. I just have to do my homework. Thanks again everyone!

I always do Luftsansa out of Denver with miles Book when seats open.. Sort of like SW over there.Always have another plane later in Europe. Remember going out of Pisa after that problem in Iceland. People sitting around airport for days because their airlines couldnt get a plane down to Italy. LH pulled one in from somewhere South. We took a far South route back to states.I never take Domestic lines International.

We flew to Copenhagen last year. I use Kayak for best prices.

The very best price was not on Kayak, it was Icelandic.

We prefer Delta but have frequent flyer accounts with USAirways.

We have flown United when United was in USAirways f flyer network, now they are with American.

We have flown Air France and Lufthansa. Both are excellent.

Between the US airlines, we give the edge to Delta.

SAS is a choice when going to Scandanavia.

Check Kayak and Icelandic for prices.

We flew to Copenhagen last year. I use Kayak for best prices.

The very best price was not on Kayak, it was Icelandic.

We prefer Delta but have frequent flyer accounts with USAirways.

We have flown United when United was in USAirways f flyer network, now they are with American.

We have flown Air France and Lufthansa. Both are excellent.

Between the US airlines, we give the edge to Delta.

SAS is a choice when going to Scandanavia.

Check Kayak and Icelandic for prices.

Whenever i have an issue while flying Southwest they will work with me to resolve it. I cant say that about Delta. ie. I dont trust Delta!!!

When you had an issue with Delta, did they not work to resolve it, or were there simply no seats available on the flight you wanted?

Thanks for all the helpful information and suggestions. We arent going until next July so I have some time to figure out things.

Are you speaking about July 2015? Better get to hustling for those award tickets. Or you may have to wait until late May/June and take a chance they release more award seats. That will only happen if the seats are NOT SELLING well. We can't help much more especially since you haven't specified exactly where you are going.

A subscription to Expertflyer will allow you to search MUCH easier for those elusive award tickets. Very cheap investment to find those award seats. Delta doesn't participate but Air France, KLM, Air Europa and a couple of other Delta partners do.

So use your freebe Southwest flights to get to a gateway for some of the other airlines and a subscription to EF to see if you can't use your miles on something other than Delta.

Good luck

Thanks for all the helpful information and suggestions. We arent going until next July so I have some time to figure out things. At the end of the day, I am sure we will use our miles the most efficient way. Thinking 3 and 1 reservations would probably work. But I will say this we have two minor children with us so we will need to stay together.

I have flown with minor children many times. You can spilt one child with each adult, or everyone can be on a separate PNR, whichever works better for using your miles. You can book on the phone to do this (because of potential unaccompanied minor fees problems), or you can book their tickets as adults, and call the airline later to link the reservations and make corrections (to avoid phone booking fees).

If there's a problem with your flight, you can work that out later; you don't have to accept what the airline offers first (for example, if it would place a child alone on a flight).

Edited by 6rugrats

Each seat you book on a given flight is a reservation for the person who is going to fill that seat. The only thing you will achieve by juggling your FF accounts is getting all the reservations under the same locater code -- but even if they are under that same locater code, you still simply have a reservation for each passenger-- who will, in fact, his or her own ticket number.

Greatam, we are going July 2016. That's a great idea to use SW miles to get to NY then use Sky Miles from there to Copenhagen. Delta hasn't published their flight schedule for July 2016 yet. I will look into Expert Flyer.

Greatam, we are going July 2016. That's a great idea to use SW miles to get to NY then use Sky Miles from there to Copenhagen. Delta hasn't published their flight schedule for July 2016 yet. I will look into Expert Flyer.

hospsafe,

We always use our Southwest miles to get to NYC and spend two or three days there, before boarding the early morning British Airways flight to London. I'm not a fan of overnight flights. The 8:05am flight is a 747, and it arrives before 20:00. You could connect to an evening flight to Copenhagen, or stay in London a few days before heading out. We like to make our air travel part of the holiday.

Good luck with your travel plans,

Kel:)

I have flown with minor children many times. You can spilt one child with each adult, or everyone can be on a separate PNR, whichever works better for using your miles. You can book on the phone to do this (because of potential unaccompanied minor fees problems)

Good point, and I've done just that before. Booked a "real" ticket for myself so I could EARN miles, but USED miles for my kids' tickets. They were on a separate PNR as a result. Avoided the unaccompanied minor issue by doing just as 6rugrats said- I booked my own ticket first, then called to book the kids' tickets. I had to give the rep my own confirmation number to show that I would indeed be on the flight with them and thus not have to pay unaccompanied minor fees.

If the OP needs to book one of the kids with his miles but wants the child on a plane with the other parent who is on another PNR, it an be done, and under the circumstances (needing to call in due to the unaccompanied minor issue) Delta should waive the phone booking fee if asked.

You want service? Delta-Air France. Star Alliance-Luftsansa.

I disagree. Air France was an absolutely miserable experience. Terrible, horrible, miserable, and I'll never fly them again.

PS--Unlike some, I don't choose airlines for lowest cost, and I would pay considerably more to never step foot on an Air France plane again.

They weren't able to check me in online, over the phone, or in person--gave away the seats I had chosen 11 months earlier as a result in both directions, terrible attitudes, couldn't get a glass of water on the flight--they give a six ounce bottle and expect that's all you'll need on an eight hour flight. Broken seat, broken lav, bad attitudes, delays in both directions, I stood at the counter for well over an hour trying to get checked in while they made call after call to Paris, just beyond pitiful experience.

Oh, and the outright lies were so bad they were comical.

Edited by ducklite

I have flown with minor children many times. You can spilt one child with each adult, or everyone can be on a separate PNR, whichever works better for using your miles. You can book on the phone to do this (because of potential unaccompanied minor fees problems), or you can book their tickets as adults, and call the airline later to link the reservations and make corrections (to avoid phone booking fees).

If there's a problem with your flight, you can work that out later; you don't have to accept what the airline offers first (for example, if it would place a child alone on a flight).

As the OP is going to Europe from the US I would be very careful doing this. You are going to cross an international boarder with a minor. Depending on country you may be required to show that you have permission form the other parent to bring the child across an international boarder.

Honestly the phone booking fee is such a small part of the cost of the ticket, I would be more concerned with getting the ticket correct to avoid entrance issues.

As the OP is going to Europe from the US I would be very careful doing this. You are going to cross an international boarder with a minor. Depending on country you may be required to show that you have permission form the other parent to bring the child across an international boarder.

Honestly the phone booking fee is such a small part of the cost of the ticket, I would be more concerned with getting the ticket correct to avoid entrance issues.

That one parent is on another PNR doesn't really matter. The two parents should be present (or give written permission)when the minor leaves the States, but they don't have to be on the same PNR.

I disagree. Air France was an absolutely miserable experience. Terrible, horrible, miserable, and I'll never fly them again.

Your AF experience was the complete opposite of mine. The flight attendants were delightful and attentive, wine and water were served freely throughout the flight, food was good, etc.

It would be very simply for the parents to get a notarized letter signed by both that gives either permission to travel with the children. That would eliminate that potential issue, thus no reason not to book the tickets however they need to do so to maximize the use of miles.

PS--Unlike some, I don't choose airlines for lowest cost, and I would pay considerably more to never step foot on an Air France plane again.

They weren't able to check me in online, over the phone, or in person--gave away the seats I had chosen 11 months earlier as a result in both directions, terrible attitudes, couldn't get a glass of water on the flight--they give a six ounce bottle and expect that's all you'll need on an eight hour flight. Broken seat, broken lav, bad attitudes, delays in both directions, I stood at the counter for well over an hour trying to get checked in while they made call after call to Paris, just beyond pitiful experience.

Oh, and the outright lies were so bad they were comical.

Wow. Sorry 'bout that. I've had nothing but good experiences with AF. Before Delta got their lay-flat seats, if I had a choice, I'd choose AF. The one thing about AF is that they do have a reputation for changing seats around if you didn't book directly with them (like as a DL codeshare). As a seasoned traveler, you do know that the airlines are not obligated to provide you with the seat you book, just a seat. But, it does suck when you choose that nice window/aisle combo and get the aisle/middle… Like you disgust with AF, mine is with AA for almost the same reasons...

Alitalia slipped past AirFrance last October on the race to the bottom: the narrowest seats, with the least legroom and a Mac & cheese dinner. I think Delta and American have the most comfortable coach seating on T/A's - just make sure you deal directly with them in selecting seats if you want any real chance of actually having the seats you chose when it comes time to board.

That one parent is on another PNR doesn't really matter. The two parents should be present (or give written permission)when the minor leaves the States, but they don't have to be on the same PNR.

I agree how the family is setup across one or more PNR is not the issue. The issue is if one parent and a child shows up at a boarder cross without the other parent and appropriate documentation.

As for which airlines is best over the Atlantic, it have as much to do about the specific equipment as anything else. On the 777, traditionally North American airlines have done 9 across. Air Canada has some in each configuration. Delta's A330 are nice, the 747 not so much.

As far as food goes we are talking about it being on par with the Walmart frozen dinner that sells for $1 while the better airline is on par with the $2 frozen dinner.

Alitalia slipped past AirFrance last October on the race to the bottom: the narrowest seats, with the least legroom and a Mac & cheese dinner. I think Delta and American have the most comfortable coach seating on T/A's - just make sure you deal directly with them in selecting seats if you want any real chance of actually having the seats you chose when it comes time to board.

This is why I don't fly coach when I do TATL. It's business if I have the points, Premium Economy if I don't have the points. And, if it was Alitalia, it wasn't mac & cheese; it was maccheroni e formaggio ;)