Southampton parking?

Big Stevie

Will soon be booking my 14 days P&O parking at Southampton Cruise Terminal using CPS (Cruise & Passenger Services) @ £152.

I like the idea of using CPS as whilst its probably the dearest parking I'm sure its also the most convenient, which is important to us. But are there any other options I should be considering?

Edited by Big Stevie

I too use CPS when sailing from Southampton and yes it is very convenient from the Premier Inn West Quay.

I know some hotels do stay and park options and even run you to the side of the ship (nearly) too then come pick you up when you return back. Not sure on the prices though, not used that option but know of folk who have.

Good luck.

Will soon be booking my 14 days P&O parking at Southampton Cruise Terminal using CPS (Cruise & Passenger Services) @ £152.

I like the idea of using CPS as whilst its probably the dearest parking I'm sure its also the most convenient, which is important to us. But are there any other options I should be considering?

We use Parking 4 Cruises on the quay - very reliable and competative on price.

http://www.parking4cruises.co.uk

But other CC members will suggest "Park on my drive", which we have not used. But it us an option.

I often stay overnight at the Holiday Inn on the Waterfront and have used their parking package too. It is an average but very friendly Holiday Inn and has the added advantage of being able to see your ship arrive in Southampton if you are awake early enough!

The Elizabeth House Hotel also gets very good reviews and does parking packages.

Most of the Southampton Hotels do parking packages.

I have used CPS on many occasions and they are reliable and of course it is very easy when your car is parked just yards from the terminal!

We now use Parking4cruises instead of CPS because its virtually the same arrangement but a lot cheaper.

I also have switched from CPS to Parking4cruises. Just drive to the port unload your bags at the terminal and then drive to the short stay car park which will be a 2 minute walk back to the terminal once you have handed over your car. They will be considerably cheaper.

We have used CPS many times and found that they are excellent if a little more expensive than other parking options. We are trying the Hilton stay and park package next month because B&B before the cruise and 15 nights parking is cheaper than CPS 14 nights parking. I believe that the Holiday Inn is also recommended by many cruisers. Both the Hilton and the Holiday Inn provide transport to and from the docks.

We have often driven down the night before because we then have the advantage of not having to worry about whether we will get stuck in traffic but in the past rather than using the hotel parking packages we have stayed at some lovely farmhouse B&Bs within a 20-25 mile radius of Southampton and then parked with CPS.

I would really recommend looking at the various options that let you avoid travelling on the day of the cruise, one trip which involved sitting in traffic jams worrying about possibly missing the ship really convinced us to stay in or near to Southampton the night before departure.

I usually choose CPS as my free bonus for booking a select fare and as everyone has said they are very good.

Last year I went on a four night cruise so you don't get the free car parking under 7 nights so I went for ACP. They were very good - within 10 mins of us calling them when we arrived at Southampton they were there to pick us up!

We used Southampton port parking last Oct. It's very good but have booked into Holiday Inn when we go on Britannia this Sept. They keep our car, we stay overnight and have breakfast there. They take us to port and pick us up and it still works out cheaper.

Just as a side issue, does anybody know whether cars remain in the hotel car parks for the duration of the cruise or are they moved and parked up elsewhere? If they are moved, where do they go? I can't imagine the hotel car parks are large enough to act as long term cruise car parks as well as serving their day to day hotel clientele.

Just as a side issue, does anybody know whether cars remain in the hotel car parks for the duration of the cruise or are they moved and parked up elsewhere? If they are moved, where do they go? I can't imagine the hotel car parks are large enough to act as long term cruise car parks as well as serving their day to day hotel clientele.

I have stayed and parked at both the Holiday Inn and the Dolphin Hotel. The former do not take your keys and obviously the car does not move whilst the latter do take your keys but as far as I'm aware they are not moved off the site but are all grouped in one area of the car park.

I often stay overnight at the Holiday Inn on the Waterfront and have used their parking package too.

Thanks Britboys, having looked at the options I have just booked the Holiday Inn Cuise/Parking package.

Arrive night before, stay overnight 2 x adults 1 x child, breakfast the following morning, transfrer to dock, collect car upon return £203.

Edited by Big Stevie

Used then once and found them to be very expensive and on the way home ay end of cruise, I found that the car on board computer was trying to reset after all the parking attendant had inputted. never again. I stay in a comfortable hotel the night before and let a taxi do all the driving. Would urge you to do your sums. My hotel d.b&b and 14 nights parking and taxi transfer to/from cost me £199

If staying the night before we particularly like DeVere New place which is about a 25 min drive outside S'ton. It is £199 for D/B&B. We book a taxi as part of the package for 11.30 and it takes us to the drop off point. On return we ring the cab firm and they txt back the colour, make and Reg. The driver txt's us when he is there - usually within 5 mins and takes us back to the hotel. It's a nice start to our holiday. We have used them for much longer cruises in the past and they have not charged extra for the parking as some of the other hotels do.

We have used CPS many times and found that they are excellent if a little more expensive than other parking options. We are trying the Hilton stay and park package next month because B&B before the cruise and 15 nights parking is cheaper than CPS 14 nights parking. I believe that the Holiday Inn is also recommended by many cruisers. Both the Hilton and the Holiday Inn provide transport to and from the docks.

We have often driven down the night before because we then have the advantage of not having to worry about whether we will get stuck in traffic but in the past rather than using the hotel parking packages we have stayed at some lovely farmhouse B&Bs within a 20-25 mile radius of Southampton and then parked with CPS.

I would really recommend looking at the various options that let you avoid travelling on the day of the cruise, one trip which involved sitting in traffic jams worrying about possibly missing the ship really convinced us to stay in or near to Southampton the night before departure.

Parking4cruises on my next 14nt cruise id 56% cheaper than parking with CPS and in my opinion not "a little more expensive".

Thanks Britboys, having looked at the options I have just booked the Holiday Inn Cuise/Parking package.

Arrive night before, stay overnight 2 x adults 1 x child, breakfast the following morning, transfrer to dock, collect car upon return £203.

Good choice - you will love it. :)

If staying the night before we particularly like DeVere New place which is about a 25 min drive outside S'ton. It is £199 for D/B&B. We book a taxi as part of the package for 11.30 and it takes us to the drop off point. On return we ring the cab firm and they txt back the colour, make and Reg. The driver txt's us when he is there - usually within 5 mins and takes us back to the hotel. It's a nice start to our holiday. We have used them for much longer cruises in the past and they have not charged extra for the parking as some of the other hotels do.

Stayed there once, but not liked. Most of the rooms are like rows of basic holiday camp challets, on the small side, and unable to open the windows for fresh air.

But the food was quite good and reasonable.

Yes, Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue is good, I always ask for a harbour view when I get there. There is a free swimming pool with a few extra facilities to use as well.

The system of parking they use is to unload near hotel door but you have to long term park round the back with the notice they give you on dashboard.

Transfers by the inclusive taxi are made by calling people from the hotel lobby at the time you request at the hotel desk. When the ship returns to port you phone the telephone number on the information sheet they give you once you are through to your cases.

Regards John

You didn't mention the excellent quality of the meals or the free coffee and tea in the lounges.