Phone cards for Staff

Hi Everyone!

It's been 10 years since my last cruise - time to get updated on things!

we are going on the 4/11 Adventures of Seas cruise and excited to do so!

in the past we have purchased Phonecards - to give to our cabin staff and wait servers as a little something extra/Thank you - we would give these out at the beginning of our cruise - we also do the gratuities - this is something extra

Are these still useful?

Love all Feedback/info as a something extra gift

Thank you!!!

Give Cash - pay phones are out of style......skype, internet, cell phones. Most probably make calls on the internet.

Yes. Please don't give them "phone cards". Much better to just give additional cash! Most of the staff have ways of calling/skyping etc to reach home, a phone card is really just a burden and in some cases maybe difficult to use. The only "extra gift" they really REALLY want is cash. Then they can use it for anything THEY want and need. Please keep the recipient in mind - with cash they can devote the tip to what their priorities are. Anything else is just dictating how they use it.

Edited by bouhunter

Why do you work? For "things" or money? Give them money...let them buy their own "things"!

I think that sums it up:) Hate to think how many thousands of cruise ship employees have received "phone cards" over the years and thought they would have so much rather had the cash......

Awesome!

Thank you everyone!! it is what I thought - so will do the old Handshake with cash - and do the gratuity through the cruise line - like I mentioned - it's been 10 years - and I know things have changed but just wanted to check!

ok - that is crossed off my list - now on to the next item xo

A lot of them are from foreign countries and most dont go into port, they are on the next cruise serving again. So in my opinion phone cards are a good gesture because they are hard to find, and yes cellular is cheap, that's if you're calling within America or Canada. If they're trying to call overseas rates are not cheap. Phone cards would give them the flexibility. I say go for it.

Phone cards would give them the flexibility. I say go for it.

Im gonna go with the "give them cash" crowd so if they want to a phone card, they can buy it themselves. They know exactly what type of phone card they will need if in fact they need one. While Im sure they wouldnt scoff at the gesture, cash is what they really want and need the most IMHO.

Im gonna go with the "give them cash" crowd so if they want to a phone card, they can buy it themselves. They know exactly what type of phone card they will need if in fact they need one. While Im sure they wouldnt scoff at the gesture, cash is what they really want and need the most IMHO.

Assuming you give them cash, and they're working on back to back cruises, do they have time to go get the card? Most are handed cash is direct deposit into their account, and most people give extra cash as something extra, but phone cards believe it or not is actually hard to get a hand of. I live in a small town, so when my mom needs cards to call long distance, she has to have my sister in a bigger town grab them for her.

If it's going to cost them a 15 dollar taxi ride to go into the city to buy a phone card it beats the purpose of saving money on buying a phone card. Everyone loves cash, but it's about convenience. The original poster already stated she was giving cash, the phone cards were just something extra she was giving out

Edited by Lisa8

Give Cash - pay phones are out of style......skype, internet, cell phones. Most probably make calls on the internet.

Do they get to keep all of their tips or do they have to pool them? I gave a bottle of champagne once. He loved it. (of course it was in addition to the tip)

A lot of them are from foreign countries and most dont go into port, they are on the next cruise serving again. So in my opinion phone cards are a good gesture because they are hard to find, and yes cellular is cheap, that's if you're calling within America or Canada. If they're trying to call overseas rates are not cheap. Phone cards would give them the flexibility. I say go for it.

Lisa, I haven't cruised in like 10 years - and back when we were cruising regularly - phone cards were a huge hit - I would buy the international phone cards and give them as gifts to the staff we had direct contact with especially our cabin stewart. Back then - when the ships pulled into port - the crew that could get off in ports would gather all around the pay phones to call home - so the international cards were a huge hit. That is why I was asking :)

Thank you everyone - Cash is what we will pass out as gifts - when we start our cruise :)

Lisa, I haven't cruised in like 10 years - and back when we were cruising regularly - phone cards were a huge hit - I would buy the international phone cards and give them as gifts to the staff we had direct contact with especially our cabin stewart. Back then - when the ships pulled into port - the crew that could get off in ports would gather all around the pay phones to call home - so the international cards were a huge hit. That is why I was asking :)

Thank you Lisa - for seeing it - the way I was asking!!

Thank you everyone - Cash is what we will pass out as gifts - when we start our cruise :)

I'm sure having nice people like you who care about others will be a real treat for any of the people serving you. The fact that you would take the time to ask about how to treat someone else special says a lot about you. We read so many times on these boards about people complaining that they have to tip at all...

We give cash too, but on a couple of occasions, like you, we've left extra gifts in the past. One time we had packed on a couple of bottles of wine and even after two weeks we never got around to drinking them. They were pretty nice wines, but there were too many opportunities to get drinks while doing things and we just didn't open the ones in our room. So, we asked the cabin attendant if he knew anyone who wanted them, rather than taking the trouble to pack them back off again and he was delighted to take them for a crew party.

So, even if you are leaving a nice tip, sometimes a personal touch is appreciated as well. I think, in addition to tips, a nice thank you note is always appreciated. Many of the crew miss their families and it's always fun for us to try to play surrogate, in a really small way of course, sometimes. We also miss our family while cruising so we benefit from great on board relationships as well. One of the greatest joys for us in cruising is getting to meet and know people from all around the world and from many different cultures. Not only passengers, but also the staff on the ship. I think people miss out when they think it's just about getting a chair by the pool :rolleyes:

Tom

Lisa

you're the best! and I think the only one understanding what I was asking

these are extra tokens of appreciation

Thank you

Lisa

you're the best! and I think the only one understanding what I was asking

these are extra tokens of appreciation

Thank you

No problem :)

We notice a lot of people serving on-board were from overseas. If I put myself in their shoes, I would rather have a phone card to call back home if home is in Europe or Asia, or Africa, wherever it may be. It sure beats trying to find a way to buy phone cards, and paying a taxi to get there.

We are from Canada and our parents sent us travelling alone when we were quite young, I just became legal age of 18, my sister still a minor at that time, so we always wanted to keep our parents posted. So I know from experience, it's hard getting those phone cards to call back to Canada from the room to avoid the room charges. It became so tough the point we would just buy a new pay as you go phone each time we went so we can stay in touch with our parents.

Totally agree that cash is the way to go! Nothing beats it!

However, I would also add something that is really priceless - remember their name and mention it on your comment survey. Getting good reviews goes a long way to promotions, getting the ship/assignment that crew member prefers, etc.

I have often thanked a specific crew member (and tipped), and mentioned that I would make sure to write to RC or put on my survey and they have been very appreciative.

Always glad to see this get discussed. Some people still do phone cards, but not everyone would even use them. And, some cards are not good in certain countries anyways. And sometimes they had to make a local call to get into the "system".

As said, the cash option the OP is now going with is best.

10 years ago at almost every port, especially the home ports, there were always huge phone banks with the crew lined up to use the pay phones with their phone cards. Now you rarely see that at all. As mentioned above, cell phones with international plans--often shared by a couple of crew members, Skype, email, etc have pretty much made that a thing of the past.

10 years ago at almost every port, especially the home ports, there were always huge phone banks with the crew lined up to use the pay phones with their phone cards. Now you rarely see that at all. As mentioned above, cell phones with international plans--often shared by a couple of crew members, Skype, email, etc have pretty much made that a thing of the past.

yet another great reason to give cash :)

I don't think phone cards work. I bought one to use on my last cruise to call home while away and they did not work. Id probably go with cash, phone cards 10 years ago probably was a wonderful idea.

The only reason I am saying no is because there is hardly any phone booths or whatever you call them these days

When I was on a Behind the Scenes tour onboard Indy last year, we were shown two machines in the crew area - one for phone cards and one for internet minutes. The crew has onboard access to phone cards, at least on some ships.

Can't fault you for wanting to do something nice, and I think something a little personalized touch on top of cash is always nice, but I am not sure how useful these phone cards any more with internet video conferencing being so popular these days. I'd probably skip the phone card and just go with cash.

Hi Everyone!

in the past we have purchased Phonecards - to give to our cabin staff and wait servers as a little something extra/Thank you - we would give these out at the beginning of our cruise - we also do the gratuities - this is something extra

!

What a lovely thought, and it is a reflection on your kind personality.

Well Done and what a delight to read something so nice and thoughtful on here.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn likes nice people

Awesome!

Thank you everyone!! it is what I thought - so will do the old Handshake with cash - and do the gratuity through the cruise line - like I mentioned - it's been 10 years - and I know things have changed but just wanted to check!

ok - that is crossed off my list - now on to the next item xo

You don't even need to do the handshake! There is an envelope in your room on one of the last nights to show your appreciation